R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 01-13-2010, 10:45 PM   #10606
Tech Adept

With the 203 software, you can drop 6-9 teeth from your pinion and add in boost and turbo. You will be amazed that your car now has better acceleration and better top speed on the straight while keeping the motor temp as before.

Tekin did an excellent job in adding features to the RS.

Like I said before, my friend and I had the same car, same motor, only different ESC and different FDR... I blew away from his car on the straight while keeping a good infield speed. My motor temp is also lower than his. So dont be scared to use smaller pinions. With Boost and Turbo, you will have to set up your gearing differently.
hardmankam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 02:42 AM   #10607
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)
Default GREAT JOB GUYS!!!

I tell you what with all this confusion, on dialing in the new software, is actually awesome, its great to see the pres. come on here, and he has awesome wingmen <randy> We gonna get it, and for not having it 100% dialed yet, and im smokin the comp already...good stuff tekin...also you facebooker's go befriend Tekin Racing on facebook..KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK GUYS, YOU GUYS ROCK!!!! im in buisness myself,completlly diff buissness, but buisnessman to another, you guys are on point, and quite honestlly, im PROUD to have tekin in my cars!!! THANKS AGAIN...

Tommy M.
Old 01-14-2010, 03:41 AM   #10608
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 16 (94%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Still Bill View Post
Interesting dialogues.

Any suggested settings for my new RS using the 203 software in my WGT? Have a Duo 13.5 motor on a medium carpet track (NorCal). Thanks.

Bill
Bill - My WGT setup is using a Duo2 motor, and I feel that it is currently the fastest WGT on the track at Mikes.

Motor Timing - Stock 10-deg
Rollout = 74mm (52mm tire, 88-spur, 40-pinion)
Throttle Profile = 2
Timing Boost = 40
Turbo Boost = 10
Turbo Delay = 0.4
Turbo Ramp = 3.0
Start RPM = 3865
End RPM = 8004
Attached Thumbnails
Tekin RS ESC sensored-kn7671-wgt-tekinrs.jpg  
kn7671 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 05:27 AM   #10609
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to k_bojar Send a message via AIM to k_bojar

Quote:
Originally Posted by morris View Post
i am also new to this stuff.1st esc and just got a hotwire.had a friend set up the esc for me with the 203.seems good but could be faster.that was with a 17.5 duo2 motor.i usually run 13.5 with a orion motor.any thoughts on starting point with a 13.5?
if you're talking about running at Horsham, I'd ask Greg Sharpe or in the Horsham thread to see what they are running there..

I know haulnec posted a 17.5 setup in the thread, it might work for a software starting point
Old 01-14-2010, 05:38 AM   #10610
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 40 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by k_bojar View Post
if you're talking about running at Horsham, I'd ask Greg Sharpe or in the Horsham thread to see what they are running there..

I know haulnec posted a 17.5 setup in the thread, it might work for a software starting point
its interesting for me learning this stuff.i had to purchase all new pinions so i only have 2 right now.will be mainly running foam tires.
thats where i was getting my 37.96 rollout.
dont know how much running i will be doing at horsham though.
i have a 40 tooth and a 45 tooth.45 installed now.
when i get to the track i will try both pinions and compare lap times.

thx for the info im sure i will have more questions in the future.
Old 01-14-2010, 12:34 PM   #10611
Tech Adept

Default Negative Motor Timing?

With several motors having negative timing available, has anyone experimented with that type of setup? Most RS v203 1/12 setups are running real strong based off a 0* motor setup. Would there be an additional gain in torque by basing a setup off of -10*? If so, could this type setup give you a different low/midrange powerband that would help on certain type layouts?
Old 01-14-2010, 12:39 PM   #10612
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

I updated the RS / HotWire doc at http://rcfaq.weebly.com/tekin-rs--hotwire.html .

This version explains the "Start/End RPM mysteriously change to default values" bug (and how to work around it), adds more emphasis to the fact that turbo can start ramping before boost finishes, among other changes. The download page now suggests using Word's "compare" function to read just the changes.
MarkBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 01:11 PM   #10613
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 50 (100%+)
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by VRacing View Post
With several motors having negative timing available, has anyone experimented with that type of setup? Most RS v203 1/12 setups are running real strong based off a 0* motor setup. Would there be an additional gain in torque by basing a setup off of -10*? If so, could this type setup give you a different low/midrange powerband that would help on certain type layouts?
Very good question!!!!! ...... just recently in the Novak Race we had tested the timing down to -7 on the Epic Based Duo 2 Motors, specifically to gain bottom end torque ........ all I can tell you is WOW !!!!

Although every track size is different and the placement of the RPM Range and delay would be effected accordingly.

Best Regards!!!!!
Alex C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 01:16 PM   #10614
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex C View Post
Very good question!!!!! ...... just recently in the Novak Race we had tested the timing down to -7 on the Epic Based Duo 2 Motors, specifically to gain bottom end torque ........ all I can tell you is WOW !!!!
I don't know about Duo2's but the Nemesis if set to 0 actually has about 12 degrees of timing in it so I could see some benefit from a negative setting on those motors. I can't imagine an ACTUAL negative timing working well but who knows.
wingracer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 01:51 PM   #10615
Tech Champion

Question...looking at the data log graph several pages back I see the motor was hitting much higher RPMs than the kv rating of the motor would suggest and much higher than the top RPM set point in Hot Wire. Given that shouldn't we be using even higher values for our top RPM? As I recall the graph went up to around 30K RPM yet I still see setups with top RPM settings at around 12K or so...less than half of the RPM achieved.
InspGadgt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 02:31 PM   #10616
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by InspGadgt View Post
Question...looking at the data log graph several pages back I see the motor was hitting much higher RPMs than the kv rating of the motor would suggest and much higher than the top RPM set point in Hot Wire. Given that shouldn't we be using even higher values for our top RPM? As I recall the graph went up to around 30K RPM yet I still see setups with top RPM settings at around 12K or so...less than half of the RPM achieved.
I think it works best when you have all the timing you're adding within your rpm range, w/o turbo, completely added at approx your avg rpm of the track, meaning that if you have a max of 30k at the end of the straight, but you only have an average of 15k around the entire track, than 15k is approx where I think you should have the timing advance stop advancing. Once you reach your avg rpm, you should have the turbo kick in shortly after.

If you waited until the motor reached it's max of 30k rpm before you stopped feeding in 50-deg of timing, it would be slower to reach 30k rpm's since the motor would need that extra timing at an earlier rpm to reach 30k rpms by the end of the straight, probably not allowing you to reach 30k.
Old 01-14-2010, 02:39 PM   #10617
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

anyone know who has the RS in stock? cant find one anywhere
Robert G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 02:43 PM   #10618
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert G View Post
anyone know who has the RS in stock? cant find one anywhere
If you can't find one separately, and you don't want to wait, you can probably find the Tekin RS or RS Pro & Motor Combo's in stock, and then sell the Tekin motor if you don't want it.
Old 01-14-2010, 02:46 PM   #10619
Tech Master

double post
2wdrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 02:46 PM   #10620
Tech Master

with boost hitting 50 at 30K rev, could you not use a bigger pinion to get some more speed? With 50degree timing at full rev of the motor instead of half the revs a bigger pinion would work as well i gues, infield you have some more torque as the timing will be lower with boost covering through the whole rev range.

Just curious. only testing will tell
2wdrive is offline   Reply With Quote