R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 01-07-2010, 10:29 PM   #10261
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to WheelNut

Considering there isn't even a Mac version of the Hotwire software yet I can't see a mobile version being released anytime soon.
Although if Tekin did step up and release different versions of the software for different OS's and different platforms that would be amazing and put them yet another step ahead of the competition. I know I saw a lot of MacBooks and iphones at the last big on-road race we had here in Alberta. I put windows on my MacBook just so I could use the Hotwire software, desperate measures! lol.
Old 01-08-2010, 01:39 AM   #10262
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 35 (97%+)
Send a message via AIM to King of B Main

Quote:
Originally Posted by reenmachine View Post
There's a bit of confusion here due to the fact that many commonly refer to Team Associated as AE (for Associated Electrics). I'm fairly certain that King of B Main was referring to Team Associated drivers, who would have been running the SXX Stock Spec.
They can call it whatever they want, but it was not a sxx stock spec !!! Rick H was almost pulling as fast as laps as Barry B and you think he is going to be doing that with a sxx ??
King of B Main is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 02:00 AM   #10263
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by King of B Main View Post
They can call it whatever they want, but it was not a sxx stock spec !!! Rick H was almost pulling as fast as laps as Barry B and you think he is going to be doing that with a sxx ??
i think Rick already responded to this and the new sxx stock spec is just releast so i should be fast.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Hohwart View Post
I think he means Team Associated with LRP SXX Stock Spec.
MartinBasse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 02:56 AM   #10264
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelNut View Post
Considering there isn't even a Mac version of the Hotwire software yet I can't see a mobile version being released anytime soon.
Although if Tekin did step up and release different versions of the software for different OS's and different platforms that would be amazing and put them yet another step ahead of the competition. I know I saw a lot of MacBooks and iphones at the last big on-road race we had here in Alberta. I put windows on my MacBook just so I could use the Hotwire software, desperate measures! lol.
True...but it is easier to write code for Android since it is open source than going through all the hoops Apple makes you go through to write anything for a Mac.
InspGadgt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 02:58 AM   #10265
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by syndr0me View Post
Or you can buy a netbook, they're cheaper.
Not for me...I work for a cell phone company so the phones are cheaper for me
InspGadgt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 03:06 AM   #10266
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by VRacing View Post
The last few pages have shown that many of us are coming to the same conclusions.

I run on a short track (1s 1/12 17.5 Redline) 50x25 with a sweeper entering the full length straight (Very slow chicane prior to the sweeper, motor is probably under 1000rpm). There is "room" to be on WOT for around 60' before getting off the throttle for a 180* turn. With Timing Boost @50 (1425 start & 6000 end) I had Turbo set on ramp 3 and 0.7 delay initially. I couldn't feel the Turbo kick in and got a temp of just under 160* ( I was bogging down the motor with the Turbo). I moved the delay out to 0.8 and could obviously feel/hear/see the Turbo "hit" and the temp went down to 132*. Problem is, the Turbo was "hitting" just as I was getting off the throttle for the 180* corner and it ended up pushing me out and off my desired line more than it helped me in any way. I had to feather the throttle to "reset" my delay, in order to keep my line tight.

My thought is that with Timing Boost available up to 60, there is no way a 1s 17.5 car can "use" 50* + of timing advance in less than 65' (obviously dependent on gearing and track layout). When you run on a larger layout that may be helpful information. A delay of 0.8 will "hit" the Turbo at around 60' with a Timing Boost of 50 and a Rollout of 76.00mm

On my small track, I will be running NO Turbo and it works great. I'm only able to use a little more (5*) total timing than with v200 but I have better Low and Midrange throttle response, which helps with passing and general driveability! My fast lap with v200 was 6.925sec and with v203 was 6.889.

The though thing to admit is that "extra power" does you no good if you pile into to boards - all is lost. The truth about most of us club drivers is that on a big layout, we can probably use Turbo and have a larger grin between accidents. On a small layout, there is not a huge difference from a well tuned v200 car, just a little more responsiveness. That alone is a good thing for those rare occassions when we get a solid "clean" run.

Aaron
well said

where you have the space to let the motor spool up, the newer versions of software really help.

But on a small track, there is only so much power you can lay down, so it can be beneficial in some occasions to start off with a simpler software version so you're not confused with what the later versions offer.

I can very easily keep up with other guys using v189 on a track that is only 10x15m, but on a bigger track, i'd get blown away.

The wife stops me being sane and the r/c stops me from going insane....
tc3team is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 04:40 AM   #10267
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by VRacing View Post
The last few pages have shown that many of us are coming to the same conclusions.

I run on a short track (1s 1/12 17.5 Redline) 50x25 with a sweeper entering the full length straight (Very slow chicane prior to the sweeper, motor is probably under 1000rpm). There is "room" to be on WOT for around 60' before getting off the throttle for a 180* turn. With Timing Boost @50 (1425 start & 6000 end) I had Turbo set on ramp 3 and 0.7 delay initially. I couldn't feel the Turbo kick in and got a temp of just under 160* ( I was bogging down the motor with the Turbo). I moved the delay out to 0.8 and could obviously feel/hear/see the Turbo "hit" and the temp went down to 132*. Problem is, the Turbo was "hitting" just as I was getting off the throttle for the 180* corner and it ended up pushing me out and off my desired line more than it helped me in any way. I had to feather the throttle to "reset" my delay, in order to keep my line tight.

My thought is that with Timing Boost available up to 60, there is no way a 1s 17.5 car can "use" 50* + of timing advance in less than 65' (obviously dependent on gearing and track layout). When you run on a larger layout that may be helpful information. A delay of 0.8 will "hit" the Turbo at around 60' with a Timing Boost of 50 and a Rollout of 76.00mm

On my small track, I will be running NO Turbo and it works great. I'm only able to use a little more (5*) total timing than with v200 but I have better Low and Midrange throttle response, which helps with passing and general driveability! My fast lap with v200 was 6.925sec and with v203 was 6.889.

The though thing to admit is that "extra power" does you no good if you pile into to boards - all is lost. The truth about most of us club drivers is that on a big layout, we can probably use Turbo and have a larger grin between accidents. On a small layout, there is not a huge difference from a well tuned v200 car, just a little more responsiveness. That alone is a good thing for those rare occassions when we get a solid "clean" run.

Aaron
you could always gear down a little, so you use the for the straights only, thats how I use the Turbo, I don't touch full throttle anywhere in the infield, and gear it accordingly, then use the turbo function to give me that extra on the straight.
DA_cookie_monst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 05:41 AM   #10268
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20 SMOKE View Post
what motor skidd
X12 10.5 or Tekin Redline
wlrc.co.uk (West London Racing Centre)
RCDisco.co.uk
Skiddins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 05:44 AM   #10269
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skiddins View Post
X12 10.5 or Tekin Redline
I find that I have never had a problem with brakes, until 203, now I have way to much brake, locking up all four wheels, using foams.

If you email me, I can give you a setting on 203, with the redline 10.5
Old 01-08-2010, 05:48 AM   #10270
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by DA_cookie_monst View Post
I find that I have never had a problem with brakes, until 203, now I have way to much brake, locking up all four wheels, using foams.

If you email me, I can give you a setting on 203, with the redline 10.5
Perhaps it was the wheels locking and sending me past the apex, due to snow my outdoor race this weekend is cancelled so more carpet racing before a guenuine test.

You have PM
wlrc.co.uk (West London Racing Centre)
RCDisco.co.uk
Skiddins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 06:00 AM   #10271
Tech Master

I have heard from a few, about braking issue's in 10.5 in the UK, but I have never seen or felt it.
Old 01-08-2010, 06:11 AM   #10272
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

Forget USB, release a ESC with bluetooth!

Then I can have a friend reprogram everyone elses speedos during the race wirelessly
or8ital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 07:03 AM   #10273
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

TeamTekin,

Thanks for the new SW, it has put a smile on my dial. I didn't think my 17.5 TC could be so fast on a large track. The amazing thing is the rollout is only in the mid 30's and temps are 161F. It made my car setup look very ordinary.

I will now have to sort the car out to advantage of the SW.

Thanks a lot.

The only guy's I see smiling lately are the guy's with a Tekin in there car.

Later,

Calvin.
caltek1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 07:05 AM   #10274
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelNut View Post
I use my MacBook running VMWare, and Hotwire works just fine in a VM. Don't like running Windows on my Mac, but you do what you gotta do
Dog Bone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 08:18 AM   #10275
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by tc3team View Post
well said

where you have the space to let the motor spool up, the newer versions of software really help.

But on a small track, there is only so much power you can lay down, so it can be beneficial in some occasions to start off with a simpler software version so you're not confused with what the later versions offer.

I can very easily keep up with other guys using v189 on a track that is only 10x15m, but on a bigger track, i'd get blown away.
I totally agree with this as well. I have run version 198 against the newer versions and have had very good successs in single cell 13.5. Simple to set up and get right and very fast. On a small track it would be interesting to see how it would fair against v203.
Jeremy Otis is offline   Reply With Quote