R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 01-07-2010, 08:14 AM   #10201
Tech Master

Whit the new Boost, you don't need the Turbo on many tracks.
If you calculate the total timing that you had before and now, you will see that there is already a Turbo in the Boost.

Also you can gear about the same with more timing than with the V200.
I used the Turbo but I tried also the setup without the Turbo and I was with a very light gearing still very fast. I now that I had to gear heavier but I made a choice for the Turbo (big mistake!!).
I tried with the V200 to gear also that light but it was with the Turbo as fast as the V203 without the Turbo.
I think that I will need the Turbo only on the very big tracks.
2 tracks not because I believe that the car is fast enough without th Turbo and that it's over kill.
That new Turbo is fast!!!!! If you have guts set your Turbo on 20 and on ramping 3. make shore that you have a lot of space!!!!! Or that you have a new car
Tekin Redline 10,5
Protoform LTC-R
mikky32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 08:27 AM   #10202
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by syndr0me View Post
We've got about a 95' straight on our carpet track with a nice round sweeper leading into it (see my earlier pic.) I'm able to drop my laps by about .2 using turbo, but only if I'm smooth into the end of the sweeper, which means lifting pretty early. I almost think the .2 delay isn't enough, and might drop it to something lower. There's not really any other spots to hit full throttle on the current layout, but presumably this is something I'd need to change down the road if we had a layout with longer sections in the middle. I'm using 50 boost/10 turbo on a DUO2 13.5 with very little physical timing. FDR is about 5.2, ramp 2, .2 delay, 4500-10001ish. It's the best the car has ever felt. Coming off around 135F after 6+ min with a 25mm fan.
95' is a pretty long straight. Esp with a sweeper before it. We are on a 85' track which is about a 70' straight. It's not a huge sweeper heading onto it and you have to be brave and drive a tight line to take it full speed. With that the turbo doesn't really kick on until 2/3 to 3/4 down the straight, right when you lift off. Regardless of the turbo delay it always kicks in around the same place. I'm sure the reason for that is that if you have your delay set too low it adds the timing but the motor bogs while catching up before finally taking off. So the only difference, on our track size, is the heat. Makes no difference on lap times.

My settings:
17.5 Novak Ballistic, N (30 degrees timing), 6.2 FDR
~1500 - ~8000 RPM
50 timing boost
15 turbo boost with .5 delay and ramp 2 (it never really kicks in so I could turn it off)

Car comes off at 120 degrees with 25mm fan on motor.

It's the fastest so far at our track of the 4-5 people who have tried the new software.
or8ital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 08:48 AM   #10203
Super Moderator

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy_Pike View Post
200 boost started at about 4k or so and was over rather quickly at 5200 give or take. This was the reason for widening the boost range. This is allowing us to add more timing but over a larger rpm range.

Honestly you need to try these on the track to get a feel for what it can do.

I will do my best to keep posting up to date team drivers setups. Sorry for the slowish delays, I've got a cold and have to re read a few of the posts! LOL

Check here often for current setups:

http://www.teamtekin.com/hotwire/ESCsetups/index.html
RAndy... Thanks, you have NO idea how much that helps!
- RCSpecialties -
Cpt.America is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 09:03 AM   #10204
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by or8ital View Post
95' is a pretty long straight. Esp with a sweeper before it. We are on a 85' track which is about a 70' straight. It's not a huge sweeper heading onto it and you have to be brave and drive a tight line to take it full speed. With that the turbo doesn't really kick on until 2/3 to 3/4 down the straight, right when you lift off. Regardless of the turbo delay it always kicks in around the same place. I'm sure the reason for that is that if you have your delay set too low it adds the timing but the motor bogs while catching up before finally taking off. So the only difference, on our track size, is the heat. Makes no difference on lap times.

My settings:
~1500 - ~8000 RPM
50 timing boost
15 turbo boost with .5 delay and ramp 2 (it never really kicks in so I could turn it off)

It's the fastest so far at our track of the 4-5 people who have tried the new software.
Yeah, if the track was much shorter, I'd probably disable the turbo and increase the final RPM so the timing was applied over a longer range of RPM to let it come up to speed in a more linear fashion. I find that it almost kicks in too late if I don't hit full throttle until I'm squared up on the straight, so I've been trying to take a line through the round part before entering the straight where I can get into the throttle 100% before the car squares up, and that's when it really shines. But it really requires some finesse, and might be beyond my current skill level to do it predictably enough to be worth it.
syndr0me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 09:14 AM   #10205
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

After a long few days of testing with a 1/12th scale 1s 13.5/17.5 duo motor application here is what I've found so far.

1) Larger wire to the motor is a must. 16g seems to heat up too much and leads to fade. 14g or larger cures this.

2) Turbo is not really needed on the typical sized carpet track. It seems to lead to fade over 8 minutes as well without adding much in the way of speed.

3) Spreading the RPM start and end works great. Using a window of 2500-8500 or higher with 55 boost timing works great in 13.5. You just have to gear the car like a 10.5 with a rollout in the high 60's. The car is fast and stays fast over the entire race with little fade. Lap times have dropped .4 seconds start to finish versus the 200 Vegas software. Since the timing is linear you can build "turbo" into your setups with boost by over shooting your top RPM and running it up to MAX timing. This still leaves the timing values in the lower RPM ranges the same or close if you were to say stop at 7500 RPM with 50 or 7000 with 45. Too short of an RPM window is ballistic in the beginning of the race but seems to fall off over an entire 8 minute run.

4) Still working on 17.5 but it's apparent that now we can run times equal to previous 13.5 setups on our track. Using similar settings listed above but only moving the RPM window as a whole up or down.

There are just so many ways to setup these speed controls now. So far this method has worked great for me.

Curtis
Old 01-07-2010, 09:25 AM   #10206
Team Tekin

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to Randy_Pike

I'm not a top level TC or Onroad driver in any way. Don't get me wrong I can drive decent but most of my time is spent playing in the dirt.

So while the team guys are running 0 to .1 or .2 delays in turbo I often find that this is not the case for the average racer on an average track. Bear in mind that my local track is the world class Speedworld Raceway here in Roseville Ca. The straight away there is easily 160 ft long so you can see where I get a bit longer delay.

Ideally the turbo should not START until you've cleared the apex of the corner leading onto the straight away. A little bit of timing boost/turbo boost overlap won't hurt UNLESS it's too much too soon during acceleration. If it were a real car you would want to shift gears as the car runs out of torque, then shift to get back into the torque curve. Same goes for our little cars guys. Shifting too soon WILL bog down the car, create more heat/load on the motor than is IDEAL for strong acceleration.

This will be different from driver to driver. Car setup is a factor as well. If you're rolling on a sweeper that is preceeding the straight away and can hold WOT the whole time, your delay SHOULD be longer than someone who has to lift the and allow the car to make the apex of the turn getting onto make the straight away. His of course would be lower.

Get a buddy and a stop watch, talk to him on the stand and let him know when you hit WOT getting on the straight, see how long it is. Start with that and adjust up/down from there. I think the results will shock you.

Tekin,Protek,A-Main Hobbies,JConcepts,Avid RC,Yokomo,MIP,SikLidz,FactoryRC, www.randypikerc.com
Randy_Pike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 09:49 AM   #10207
Tech Master

Did someone already race against a AE BD speedo?
I want to now what the difference now is and if the power in the infield is closed down.
The top speed is for the Tekin I now that.
As the infield is the same, than Tekin will be the fastest speedo there is.
The LRP SXX stock speed is slower than the AE.
Tekin Redline 10,5
Protoform LTC-R
Old 01-07-2010, 09:53 AM   #10208
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 198 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by or8ital View Post

My settings:
~1500 - ~8000 RPM
50 timing boost

Yeah but Tim aren't you running the new Much More pit light that reduces lap times by .2 sec?
dodgeguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 10:09 AM   #10209
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 35 (97%+)
Send a message via AIM to King of B Main

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikky32 View Post
Did someone already race against a AE BD speedo?
I want to now what the difference now is and if the power in the infield is closed down.
The top speed is for the Tekin I now that.
As the infield is the same, than Tekin will be the fastest speedo there is.
The LRP SXX stock speed is slower than the AE.
Ran against 2 AE Team drivers tuesday and they had some new speedos. There new stuff is fast, just like Tekin.
King of B Main is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 10:16 AM   #10210
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by King of B Main View Post
Ran against 2 AE Team drivers tuesday and they had some new speedos. There new stuff is fast, just like Tekin.
So both speedo's have now the same speed?
Tekin Redline 10,5
Protoform LTC-R
Old 01-07-2010, 10:21 AM   #10211
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 35 (97%+)
Send a message via AIM to King of B Main

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikky32 View Post
So both speedo's have now the same speed?
They are still in testing mode. Tekin is already out to public so Tekin is faster.
King of B Main is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 10:43 AM   #10212
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodgeguy View Post
Yeah but Tim aren't you running the new Much More pit light that reduces lap times by .2 sec?
This is true! I'm the only one at the track with the light!

I'm hearing the BD is still faster from folks with the BD. Not sure if that is their pride or actual results talking. Obviously the Tekin has a bigger learning curve vs the BD so time will tell.
Old 01-07-2010, 10:50 AM   #10213
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by King of B Main View Post
They are still in testing mode. Tekin is already out to public so Tekin is faster.
but how long did the AE team drivers have the esc then? I presume they already have it for some time for testing? just curious

I have read the EA black diamond manual 2 days ago but to be honest the manual didn't really impress me that much. There is not that much you can set up with it. Only a few predefined brake profiles, two predefined drag brake profiles of 40 and 50% drag brake and something like 5 predefined timing profiles. That's about it.

Now someone can say " that is all you will need" but for me i like the fact that i can set it up the way i want to. As i drive a pancar 40% drag brake can be too much for a certain track where 20% is good enough for coasting through a turn for instance. Even though you might not use a setting it is nice to know that it is there if you do need it. That is just my oppinion.
2wdrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 10:53 AM   #10214
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2wdrive View Post
but how long did the AE team drivers have the esc then? I presume they already have it for some time for testing? just curious

I have read the EA black diamond manual 2 days ago but to be honest the manual didn't really impress me that much. There is not that much you can set up with it. Only a few predefined brake profiles, two predefined drag brake profiles of 40 and 50% drag brake and something like 5 predefined timing profiles. That's about it.

Now someone can say " that is all you will need" but for me i like the fact that i can set it up the way i want to. As i drive a pancar 40% drag brake can be too much for a certain track where 20% is good enough for coasting through a turn for instance. Even though you might not use a setting it is nice to know that it is there if you do need it. That is just my oppinion.
That exactly why I said there is a bigger learning curve with the Tekin. Flexibility is good but as can be seen in the last 30 pages it also takes a long time to get up to speed on all the settings and then even longer to find the right combination endless settings to perform optimally.
Old 01-07-2010, 10:59 AM   #10215
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2wdrive View Post

I think he means Team Associated with LRP SXX Stock Spec.
Rick Hohwart is offline   Reply With Quote