R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-03-2010, 10:02 PM   #9886
Tech Master
 
PitNamedGordie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Highwood, IL
Posts: 1,789
Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to PitNamedGordie Send a message via Yahoo to PitNamedGordie
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Adams View Post
All I know is today the car was violent. Thats all I can really say about the power that the new sw has given me.
+1



I haven't found a perfect setup as of yet...but the speed, at least on the straight, was almost too much for me to handle!...and that was with a 17.5.

Edit: And to add to that I overheard a few conversations and comments like "things will never be the same" were being said. I know of one 13.5 driver who was diving a 17.5 at the same speeds he would have with his 13.5...it was insane to watch.
__________________
☆ The Track @ Harbor Hobbies ☆ www.harbor-hobby.net ☆
PitNamedGordie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 10:09 PM   #9887
Tech Addict
 
alangking_306's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 593
Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20 SMOKE View Post
vegas1.0 is 200 vegas 2.0 is 203.did you run 200 before with the 11.5,sorry my head is going 100mph and typing wasn't
before this i running vegas 1 with 11.5t, yesterday i am using vegas 2.0 on 11.5t but still looking for the perfect setting thats why need someone who running 11.5t with vegas 2.0 share their setting
__________________
4pk,PT 2549804,V one R4,,RB matrix,nova 353,3st (RRRR,mega, evo2 history)
JBRCC -Black Crow Racing Team-
alangking_306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 10:16 PM   #9888
Tech Fanatic
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Chico, Ca
Posts: 810
Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Default

Yang ..... what are the possibilities of one of the components of the Novak booster being out of spec causing the voltgae cut off to actually be higher? I have one booster on my WGT 13.5 car that has had no issues. The one in my 12th car didn't work. The one in my WGT car is 7 months old, the one in my 12th was only a couple of months old.
schurcr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 10:22 PM   #9889
Tech Elite
 
andrewdoherty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: ★Wylie, TX★
Posts: 3,776
Trader Rating: 47 (100%+)
Default

When you say didn't work Ruben, could it have anything to do with race length? 6 minutes vs 8 minutes . . .
__________________
"Whether you think you can, or think you can't, you're right." -Henry Ford
"[Driving] Genius is 1% inspiration, and 99% perspiration" -T.A. Edison
|◤Hobbywing◢|◤SpeedzoneUSA.com◢|◤Pro-One◢|
|◤ReflexRacing.net◢|◤Protoform◢|◤AVID R/C◢|
andrewdoherty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 11:22 PM   #9890
Tech Addict
 
jasons56's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 685
Default

Wow. While my racing day didn't go as well as I was hoping I am very happy with the new software. I ran a 13.5 1/12 on the new software today.
With an out of tune new car with a bad push I was as fast as my old car on the old software.
Another Tekin guy that was on the fence about the software change came right over for the update after seeing my run.

Looking over our times, I'd say the new features are worth .3 seconds advantage over the Vegas software on the Omaha Hobbyplex track.

I didn't get to run the mains. In my haste to get my first 2.03 run in I plugged a receiver pack in backwards and toasted a servo before my first qual. After putting in a new servo my mistake bit again when right before the main the receiver pack lost a cell.

I can't wait til next week!

The only downside is that some of us are starting to feel like we need to drop back a motor size to get speeds down to match our skills.
__________________
http://www.youtube.com/user/ZenRacing
jasons56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 11:32 PM   #9891
Tech Fanatic
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Calgary, AB CANADA
Posts: 833
Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Default

Thought I'd post up my first experience with v203

I was running 17.5 1/12th with 1s lipo and a TQ Booster on a relatively small track (~80' straight). I used the 1/12th setup that Randy posted previously namely:

Boost 55
Turbo 10
Delay 0.1
Ramp 3
RPM range 2,300 to 6,000
Rollout of ~68mm

The car was ballistic for the first few laps and then fell flat on it's face and the motor came off @ 208 degrees I also tried the same setup but with a much lower Rollout (~60mm) but it did pretty much the same thing.

What I ended up using with pretty good success was the following:

Boost 40
Turbo 10
Delay 0.2
Ramp 2
RPM range 2,300 to 6,000
Rollout of ~68mm

The car had really good punch (although not as good as I had expected based on the comments on this thread) and tremendous speed on the straight and into the sweeper. I ended up placing 2nd behind a 4-cell car that was very well driven so, overall I am pretty happy with v203!

The only issue was that at the 5 minute mark (we were running 6 minute races) the car got noticeably flatter and it almost felt as though the turbo had stopped kicking in. It came off the track at only 120 degrees so I don't think it was the same issue as the more aggressive setup I started with.

So I guess my questions would be:

Does it sound like I'm on the right track with my changes? Any suggestions for things to try to get more out of it?
Has anybody experienced this "dropping off" midway through a race?

Cheers,
Mike
__________________
Mike
Hyper_Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 12:07 AM   #9892
Tech Champion
 
RedBullFiXX's Avatar
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Intergalactic Planetary
Posts: 6,542
Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyper_Mike View Post
Thought I'd post up my first experience with v203

I was running 17.5 1/12th with 1s lipo and a TQ Booster on a relatively small track (~80' straight). I used the 1/12th setup that Randy posted previously namely:

Boost 55
Turbo 10
Delay 0.1
Ramp 3
RPM range 2,300 to 6,000
Rollout of ~68mm

The car was ballistic for the first few laps and then fell flat on it's face and the motor came off @ 208 degrees I also tried the same setup but with a much lower Rollout (~60mm) but it did pretty much the same thing.

What I ended up using with pretty good success was the following:

Boost 40
Turbo 10
Delay 0.2
Ramp 2
RPM range 2,300 to 6,000
Rollout of ~68mm

The car had really good punch (although not as good as I had expected based on the comments on this thread) and tremendous speed on the straight and into the sweeper. I ended up placing 2nd behind a 4-cell car that was very well driven so, overall I am pretty happy with v203!

The only issue was that at the 5 minute mark (we were running 6 minute races) the car got noticeably flatter and it almost felt as though the turbo had stopped kicking in. It came off the track at only 120 degrees so I don't think it was the same issue as the more aggressive setup I started with.

So I guess my questions would be:

Does it sound like I'm on the right track with my changes? Any suggestions for things to try to get more out of it?
Has anybody experienced this "dropping off" midway through a race?

Cheers,
Mike
That roll-out "68mm" seems a bit low for a 17.5.
What roll-out do you usually run ?
Did you have any endbell timing ?
What motor ?
I would think somewhere in the high 80's to low 90's would be a better target, and without the turbo.

With a Redline 13.5 on a high speed track I was running a 77 roll.
RedBullFiXX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 01:08 AM   #9893
Tech Adept
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Great Falls, MT
Posts: 190
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy_Pike View Post
Here are some general things to understand:

In TC most of our team is happy with 4000 rpm to start/ 12,5000 to end. Yes I know you can't get exact numbers like this but remember "genral."

In pan car most are liking 1500 rpm start/ 7000 to end.

Start your Timing boost around 40 to start out, find you gearing since you will likely be dropping 4-8 pinions depending on chassis/car.

Turbo has a new feature called "ramp rate." What this does is increase the rate the turbo timing is applied. So at 1.0 this was the setting Vegas 1.0 had. At 2.0 it's twice as fast, 3.0 is 1.5 faster than 1.5,etc etc.

My reccomendation is still to get your timing boost and gearing figured out BEFORE going for turbo. Turbo is always affected by layout, gearing,etc and since this software is that much faster than before you will likely need to re think your last setup.

If you're unsure where to start take your favorite Vegas 1.0 setup(v200) and start there with Vegas 2.0 .
Guys,

Randy has helped us out, just follow his advice. There are a lot of other racers that have come up with similar conslusions as those listed above.

The Timing Delay is what is getting people in trouble. It is like a Bomb with a Timer, Literally. Whatever you set the clock too, boom, it hits when the count down is over. Anyone using Timing Boost and an End RPM for their respective class that is "reasonable" shouldn't need the Delay set below the 0.7 mark. Your goal really shoud be to "use" all the advance you set in your Timing Boost first, before having any additional advance come on from the Turbo. Use your Delay setting to let the Timing Boost do its' work!

If your in the 1s 17.5 class and you set the Boost to 55 with a Start of 2500 and an End of 4000 with a MAX Turbo and a 0.0 or a 0.1 Delay because some Dude said it was really ballistic, your screwed. Might as well drop a grenade in your shorts and ask the guy at the next pit table how he thinks that's gonna work out for ya.

I followed Randy's basics above and found things fairly straight forward. I run 17.5 1s on a small carpet track. My v200 rollout was 81.5mm with a 47 pinion and an 8 min temp of 138*. After slowly working up from Randy's recommendations, I ended up with a v203 rollout of 75.6mm with a 44 pinion Boost 50, @1425rpm start & 6000rpm end, Turbo 4 @ 0.7 Delay and an 8 min. temp of 126*.

The car has the response of a brushed car, very fast, yes ballistic even. But, my "orange" booster works just fine and I didn't manage to produce anything resembling an epic nuclear meltdown. Then again, maybe if I narrow up my RPM range and drop the delay a ways??? I might be how much faster?? OOPS!
__________________
Dude, Go RRReally FFFast - When something gets in your way - Turrrnn
VRacing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 05:36 AM   #9894
Tech Elite
 
caltek1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 3,406
Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)
Default 17.5 TC SETUP

Hello,

Here is the setup I used tonight on a track that is constructed across three netball courts with a large straight and then twisty sections. The court has a asphalt surface. I will edit with track size later.

V203 Software
Car Yokomo BD (2:1)
Spur 70
Pinion 25
FDR 5.6
Rollout 35.34mm
Battery IP 5000 40C

Tekin Redline 17.5 Timing set at 0
Drag: 0
Throttle: 3
Boost: 50
Turbo: 5
Delay: 0.4
Ramp: 3
Profile 3
Start rpm: 5000
End rpm 13000

We have some low speed sections consisting of 180 degree corners and then some open corners which require 1/4 to 1/2 throttle. I am not going to say that this setup is the bees knees but as a starting point I was happy with the result. TQ and first in the final. Motor temp after warm up and six minutes of racing 98F.

I think that settings for the RPM could be made smaller to give harder acceleration and the rollout increased slightly. For my first hitout with the new SW I am very happy.

Thanks TeamTekin, you have done a great job. Thanks also to KennyL for the advice on a starting point with the SW.

Regards,

Calvin.
caltek1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 06:30 AM   #9895
Tech Elite
 
theisgroup's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Posts: 3,191
Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by schurcr View Post
Yang ..... what are the possibilities of one of the components of the Novak booster being out of spec causing the voltgae cut off to actually be higher? I have one booster on my WGT 13.5 car that has had no issues. The one in my 12th car didn't work. The one in my WGT car is 7 months old, the one in my 12th was only a couple of months old.
the problem with circuits down at the min voltage is that you can not predict the response of the circuit. unless the circuit was designed for low voltage. so you could have 10 units from the same batch and 1 would fail and 9 would work or 9 could fail and 1 could work.
__________________
yang lai

Team Tamale | Team Tekin | RCAmerica | Speedmerchant | Speedzone RC | EA Motorsports | Ko Propo USA | eXpress Motorsports | Parma/PSE
theisgroup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 07:13 AM   #9896
Tech Apprentice
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 95
Default

I just got a RS Pro along with a Hakko 936 ESD soldering station. I'm also looking for a RS non-Pro locally so I'm going to have two ESCs to solder. I picked up a 5mm angled chisel tip and 60 tin/40 lead rosin core solder.

I was limited in choices of tips other than the small tip that came with it, but is that the best choice of solder? What temperature is a good temperature to set the soldering station to? Does everybody really just crank it up to the max setting?
liquiddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 07:48 AM   #9897
Tech Lord
 
20 SMOKE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: HVR_ WEEKI WACHEE FL
Posts: 10,299
Trader Rating: 101 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by liquiddog View Post
I just got a RS Pro along with a Hakko 936 ESD soldering station. I'm also looking for a RS non-Pro locally so I'm going to have two ESCs to solder. I picked up a 5mm angled chisel tip and 60 tin/40 lead rosin core solder.

I was limited in choices of tips other than the small tip that came with it, but is that the best choice of solder? What temperature is a good temperature to set the soldering station to? Does everybody really just crank it up to the max setting?
you'll be fine,i soldered allot with slotcars and found with my hakko around 6-7 was a good spot
__________________
Jamie W
*Team Tekin*Tekno-rc*DE Racing*AKA*DDHRC*
20 SMOKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 08:37 AM   #9898
Tech Adept
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 176
Default Setup Help

Ok gents need some help I will be using the speedo in anger for the 1st time this weekend on a 30m x 16m track in 13.5 TC Class using the Speed Passion Ver.3

So to start with I was going to try the following :-

Drag Brake -20
Brake Strength - 95
Neutral Width - 5
Throttle - 3
Push Control - off
Timing Boost - 40 (Look to increase to 45 after temp check)
Turbo Boost - 8 (Look to increase to 12 after temp check)
Turbo Delay - .5
Turbo Ramp - .2
Start RPM - 2850
End RPM - 11,990

Could do with a little advice on gearing?

Also would I start with the Turbo off gear for the infield and then increase turbo for the straightaway speed?

Thanks in andvance for you help
008-Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 09:09 AM   #9899
Tech Lord
 
20 SMOKE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: HVR_ WEEKI WACHEE FL
Posts: 10,299
Trader Rating: 101 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 008-Racer View Post
Ok gents need some help I will be using the speedo in anger for the 1st time this weekend on a 30m x 16m track in 13.5 TC Class using the Speed Passion Ver.3

So to start with I was going to try the following :-

Drag Brake -20
Brake Strength - 95
Neutral Width - 5
Throttle - 3
Push Control - off
Timing Boost - 40 (Look to increase to 45 after temp check)
Turbo Boost - 8 (Look to increase to 12 after temp check)
Turbo Delay - .5
Turbo Ramp - .2
Start RPM - 2850
End RPM - 11,990

Could do with a little advice on gearing?

Also would I start with the Turbo off gear for the infield and then increase turbo for the straightaway speed?

Thanks in andvance for you help
your the first that asked if you should turn off turbo,that is a good place to start,and drop 3 teeth on the pinion or a equivalent gearing with a bigger spur
__________________
Jamie W
*Team Tekin*Tekno-rc*DE Racing*AKA*DDHRC*
20 SMOKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 09:19 AM   #9900
Tech Champion
 
tc3team's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: UK
Posts: 6,151
Default

the team listened, the software was developed further, the battle to mix it with the best goes on...

Just when you think things can't get any faster, and they do!!!
__________________
Fusion Hobbies / www.horshamrc.org

The wife stops me being sane and the r/c stops me from going insane....
tc3team is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Tekin Redline RS Sensored ESC and motors, opinions for offroad? Cain Electric Off-Road 4230 06-07-2015 04:38 PM
Sensored vs. Sensorless lemansracer Electric On-Road 71 02-14-2009 03:19 AM
New Tekin Redline Sensored Motors are Roar Legal! Randy_Pike Electric On-Road 3 08-05-2008 02:08 AM
Tekin Redline Sensored 10.5 HUCKMAN Electric On-Road 6 07-15-2008 08:50 PM
sensored vs sensorless bprocket Rookie Zone 5 05-16-2008 09:38 AM


Tags
v203, vegas 2.0


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 11:50 PM.


We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net