R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 12-06-2009, 08:57 PM   #8461
Team Tekin

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to Randy_Pike

If you're running 199 software this was fixed with 200.

What radio are you using?

Tekin,Protek,A-Main Hobbies,JConcepts,Avid RC,Yokomo,MIP,SikLidz,FactoryRC, www.randypikerc.com
Randy_Pike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 09:03 PM   #8462
Tech Champion

I'm running V200 Vegas...same one you set up for me at IIC on my WGT car. Still using my Futaba 3PJS with Spektrum module and reciever. At first I was thinking it was the battery going flat. But then I noticed it was happening after only a few laps so I didn't think that was it.
InspGadgt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 09:08 PM   #8463
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 39 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by InspGadgt View Post
Having a problem with my 2nd RS today. The first 2 to 4 laps the car feels great and you can definitely see the turbo kick in. But after that the seems like it is stuck in first gear, like turbo isn't kicking in. I've already tried rebinding my radio gear, reprogramming the RS, and finally did a factory reset. None of those seemed to fix it. The motor (LRP 13.5) was running just under 150 degrees and the ESC felt warm for the first time that I've ever noticed. Any ideas?

My other RS is running great still. I'll probably swap the 2 since my other RS is in my 1/12th where I don't use turbo right now anyway.
This happens to me when I set my turbo delay too early. I would see the turbo in the first few laps, then it goes away.

What's your setup?
bukil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 09:13 PM   #8464
Tech Champion

I set it to .3 like I had it in Vegas. Same setting as the other guys at my track are using. It was also happening with my 17.5 motor on .5 delay.
Old 12-06-2009, 09:59 PM   #8465
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default Risk of shorting out Capacitor?

Hi guys. I have seen quite a number of RS/RS Pros wired with banana plugs to plug into a hardcase lipo directly. I would like to do the same to reduce clutter but have some reservations.

My current setup also involves a hardcase lipo but with the additional of a deans connector between the esc and the banana plugs.

My question is whether there is a risk of shorting / destroying the capacitor wired to the esc if the positive and negative plugs accidentally touch each other. If so how can I eliminate/reduce this risk.
radwerx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 10:29 PM   #8466
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

Will the RS Pro run 1S lipo with lipo cutoff? If so, can it do this out of the box, or do I need to buy the hotwire too?

Now this may be asking too much, but can it boost the voltage, so I do not need to run a receiver pack or booster?

Sorry for the noob questions, I am just looking for a 1S lipo compatable ESC for 1/12...

Thanks for any info...
GTSSTANG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 10:38 PM   #8467
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
I set it to .3 like I had it in Vegas. Same setting as the other guys at my track are using. It was also happening with my 17.5 motor on .5 delay.
Need more info than that. Post your setup.

I was using 20 timing boost, 0 on motor (13.5) with 0.5 delay. My turbo would not come on after a few laps -changed my delay to 0.8 with the same gearing and all... turbo is consistent now.

I noticed with Tekins is that everything should be well balanced to get the most speed out of it.

My observation:

the higher the timing boost ... the higher the delay should be ... if you loose punch... gear lighter / less motor timing

lower timing boost ... you can lower your delay ... if you loose top end ... gear heavy / add motor timing

again ... these are just my observation... depends on your track ... temps

Hope this helps
Old 12-06-2009, 10:49 PM   #8468
Tech Champion

Well my setup is the same as most of the other RS drivers at our track and they do not have the issue. But here's what I'm running:

Timing boost: 28
Turbo boost: Max
Motor Timing: 0
Delay: .3 and .5
Motor: LRP 13.5 and a 17.5 Pulse

I'm temping between 140 and 150.
Old 12-06-2009, 10:53 PM   #8469
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Well my setup is the same as most of the other RS drivers at our track and they do not have the issue. But here's what I'm running:

Gearing?

Wow.. Big track I assume?

I think you are not letting your motor get all the timing boost before the turbo takes over. I don't know your gearing, but if I were to use that setup at my track, my car will feel sluggish - turbo will not be consistent due to the turbo delay too low. It's like shifting from 1st gear to third right away.

Try:
25 timing boost
0.8 - 1 sec

Gearing is important.

Last edited by bukil; 12-06-2009 at 11:10 PM.
Old 12-06-2009, 10:58 PM   #8470
Company Representative

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Quote:

IMO your moto dosn t produce enough torque to pull turbo after certain temparture, without reaching cerain RPM or flatting amps draw the turbo can't kicks in.
SweepRacingUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 11:54 PM   #8471
Tech Champion

Ok well I'm planning on picking up a new 17.5 anyway so maybe that will work better.
Old 12-07-2009, 05:21 AM   #8472
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 100 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by radwerx View Post
Hi guys. I have seen quite a number of RS/RS Pros wired with banana plugs to plug into a hardcase lipo directly. I would like to do the same to reduce clutter but have some reservations.

My current setup also involves a hardcase lipo but with the additional of a deans connector between the esc and the banana plugs.

My question is whether there is a risk of shorting / destroying the capacitor wired to the esc if the positive and negative plugs accidentally touch each other. If so how can I eliminate/reduce this risk.
I run the corally connectors directly from ESC to LIPO and there is no issue with the positive and negative touching from ESC and I have all my cables black for extra sexiness. The thing you dont want to do is plug positive from ESC to negative on LIPO and switch the car on because then it go BOOM.
Old 12-07-2009, 05:37 AM   #8473
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 101 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTSSTANG View Post
Will the RS Pro run 1S lipo with lipo cutoff? If so, can it do this out of the box, or do I need to buy the hotwire too?

Now this may be asking too much, but can it boost the voltage, so I do not need to run a receiver pack or booster?

Sorry for the noob questions, I am just looking for a 1S lipo compatable ESC for 1/12...

Thanks for any info...
you need the hotwire to change it,and i believe you still need a booster.
here is the tekin 1s lipo thread http://www.rctech.net/forum/electric...1s-lipo-q.html
Old 12-07-2009, 05:43 AM   #8474
Regional Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTSSTANG View Post

Thanks for any info...
Yes, it will use the 1s LiPo cutoff, but only if you check the "1s LiPo" box in Hotwire, and leave the ESC power switch in the "On" position. With 1s, you need either a Rx pack or external voltage booster.
CarbonJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 06:12 AM   #8475
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by vazzo View Post
I run the corally connectors directly from ESC to LIPO and there is no issue with the positive and negative touching from ESC and I have all my cables black for extra sexiness. The thing you dont want to do is plug positive from ESC to negative on LIPO and switch the car on because then it go BOOM.
The ESC will actually go in smoke even if not switched on if the polarity is reversed at the battery. Don't ask how I know.

The best upgrade to any car is some driver skill.
niznai is offline   Reply With Quote