R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 08-22-2008, 05:34 AM   #826
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcos.J View Post
for low wind motors like the 3.5,4.5, 5.5 you want less timing
That's not what I've found in mod 12th Higher timing gave me better laptimes and helped with the dead spot that I described on the straight. I totally agree in touring/6 cell you'll want low timing.

A 3.5 in 12th is totally worthless as far as I'm concerned. Runs like a on off switch and it's very hard on the speedo. That's regardless of the timing.
Fred_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 06:12 AM   #827
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by reenmachine View Post
Well, it is. Our club still runs 13.5 as "stock" so that's what I've been up against with my 27T. It's a Team Br00d ball bearing Epic motor that I ran with an FDR of about 7.88. It's a great motor and that was good enough for a 3rd place and a 2nd place in Sportsman Stock. I'm starting with an FDR of 4.6 with the SP 13.5. We have a medium-sized asphalt track with a technical infield.
Last week we set up a more technical track and my 13.5 geared to 4.5 ran on the hot range, knocked it down to 4.6 and it was in the correct temp range. Previously it ran cooler at 4.5 on a more open flowing track.

Bottom line is that you need to check your motor's temp and gear it accordingly rather than blindly following a set number.
AreCee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 06:14 AM   #828
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by reenmachine View Post
When I set my lipo cutoff to 2S (6.0V) through Hotwire, I get the flashing 1,3,5 LED warning that the cutoff has been tripped, even though my pack is full (tried several packs). When I adjust it down (I randomly tried 3.0V) the car runs fine.

Anyone else have this issue?
My Hotwire seems to like to return the Lipo cutoff back to zero. I have to use the on-board program to restore the cutoff. All the other functions stay as set but just the cutoff is affected.
AreCee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 06:42 AM   #829
Super Moderator

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 182 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred_B View Post
That's not what I've found in mod 12th Higher timing gave me better laptimes and helped with the dead spot that I described on the straight. I totally agree in touring/6 cell you'll want low timing.

A 3.5 in 12th is totally worthless as far as I'm concerned. Runs like a on off switch and it's very hard on the speedo. That's regardless of the timing.
didnt know you meant 12th
Marcos.J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 07:01 AM   #830
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 40 (100%+)
Send a message via Skype™ to fpart

Quote:
Originally Posted by AreCee View Post
My Hotwire seems to like to return the Lipo cutoff back to zero. I have to use the on-board program to restore the cutoff. All the other functions stay as set but just the cutoff is affected.
I had that happen with my Sensored only checkbox. It reverted to hybrid and Im sure I made the selection.
fpart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 07:59 AM   #831
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Hope the Tekin folks read this make some software fixes soon.
stocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 08:14 AM   #832
Regional Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by stocker View Post
Hope the Tekin folks read this make some software fixes soon.
You could always post your issues on Tekin's own forum for the specific ESC or Hotwire. You might get a faster response that way.

http://www.teamtekin.com/forums/
CarbonJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 08:47 AM   #833
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarbonJoe View Post
You could always post your issues on Tekin's own forum for the specific ESC or Hotwire. You might get a faster response that way.

http://www.teamtekin.com/forums/
I signed up for an account several days ago. It says that the admin will approve you but my account still isn't activated.
reenmachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 12:35 PM   #834
Tech Elite

Quote:
OK, do update on what Tekin says. All the best on your race!
I spoke with Chris at Tekin this morning and was very impressed. We spent almost a half hour on the phone, he never seemed rushed, and he was very knowledgeable about the product. Customer service like that will keep me with Tekin.

It seems that I simply have a flawed unit. My voltage cutoff warning problem is intermittent and can be cured by power cycling a few times. We did a software reset, a hardware reset, went back to version 178 and then to 180 again, set the cutoff both via Hotwire and the buttons on the ESC and none of the above changed the behavior. It seems to work fine when it does boot up, so I'm going to race it Sunday and see what happens. Chris said to call him Monday with my findings and that they'll gladly replace the ESC.

I also spoke with him at length about the timing settings and the whole "sensored only" vs. dual mode thing, at least as it relates to 13.5 and similar motors. Bottom line is it really depends on the motor you're running -- if the timing is adjustable or what the factory timing is if it's fixed. Essentially, you only want to run "sensored only" if you can crank your motor timing. My SpeedPassion 13.5 has fixed timing, so if I ran "sensored only" it would fall on its face. My only option for timing advance is to run in the default dual mode and crank the timing there. This is probably the safest bet for most users. The sensored operation basically just gets you moving smoothly and then switches over to sensorless fairly quickly and the ESC can then add timing.

So, I can't try it both ways (ESC timing vs. motor timing) since my motor timing is fixed. I'll probably get a 17.5 soon enough, and I plan on getting a Tekin, which has motor-adjustable timing. Then the experimentation can continue.

HTH
Old 08-22-2008, 02:10 PM   #835
Team Tekin

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to Randy_Pike

Chris is a great guy. He's very knowledgable. You were speaking to the guy that has a huge hand into the Hotwire and it's use.

Without adjustable motor timing you are stuck to what the motor has in it which maybe less over all timing when sensored mode is selected. That is why dual mode for you seems faster.

We are watching as many threads as we can about our products. However our own forum has a much faster repsonse time due to more of the team drivers checking it as well as our inhouse support group.

Tekin,Protek,A-Main Hobbies,JConcepts,Avid RC,Yokomo,MIP,SikLidz,FactoryRC, www.randypikerc.com
Randy_Pike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 02:16 PM   #836
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy_Pike View Post
We are watching as many threads as we can about our products. However our own forum has a much faster repsonse time due to more of the team drivers checking it as well as our inhouse support group.
I understand, and I tried to register on your forum. The admin has to approve all registrations and mine has yet to be approved. I just registered again so we'll see what happens.
Old 08-22-2008, 02:46 PM   #837
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

So if you're using a 17.5 where timing is adjustable on the motor, where have the best results been obtained? Running in sensored only and cranking the timing on the the motor?
syndr0me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 02:59 PM   #838
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by syndr0me View Post
So if you're using a 17.5 where timing is adjustable on the motor, where have the best results been obtained? Running in sensored only and cranking the timing on the the motor?
I haven't done it, but that's what it looks like the Tekin team guys are finding. It would be interesting to do timed runs back-to-back: "dual mode" with the motor timing at the minimum and ESC timing at 80+% and "sensored only" with the motor timing cranked.
Old 08-22-2008, 08:46 PM   #839
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

OK cool inputs.

So which are the 13.5 and 17.5 with adjustable timing? Tekin Redlines seem to be one of them? I know Trinity's has adjustable timing too.
stocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 08:54 PM   #840
Tech Elite

Quote:
OK cool inputs.

So which are the 13.5 and 17.5 with adjustable timing? Tekin Redlines seem to be one of them? I know Trinity's has adjustable timing too.
Chris told me the Tekins are adjustable.