R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 11-28-2009, 10:17 AM   #8341
Tech Regular

What class are you running and what is you name?
michael mercer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009, 10:19 AM   #8342
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by michael mercer View Post
What class are you running and what is you name?
17.5 12th and nick ennis. im in race 5 currently, stupid set up on my car is garbage
mxzhonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009, 02:42 PM   #8343
Tech Adept

remind me next indoor champs not to f with my timing before the qual when i say my motor/speedy set up is perfect. no need to run 100 degrees of timing with this stuff!
Old 11-28-2009, 02:44 PM   #8344
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 97 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mxzhonkey View Post
remind me next indoor champs not to f with my timing before the qual when i say my motor/speedy set up is perfect. no need to run 100 degrees of timing with this stuff!
sounds like it took a turn for the worst???
LOW ET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009, 07:47 PM   #8345
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOW ET View Post
sounds like it took a turn for the worst???
YEAH! i turned up the timing even though i was telling my self i should not touch the horsepower, i did change the chassis for the better. ruined my 4th run.

i reverted back so i should be good for some b main action
Old 11-29-2009, 12:13 AM   #8346
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Does anyone know what temp range the onboard temp light indicators work at?
eg; led 2 starts at 110F, led 3 starts at 130F etc.
RCZILLA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 07:20 AM   #8347
Tech Adept

Wow what a difference a month makes... It looks like I have a speed control to give my son now for backyard bashing... You can throw all the softwear upgrades at it and it will still be the same speedo with different powerband characteristics that is obviously way behind in performance...
march to my own is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 08:01 AM   #8348
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 101 (100%+)

so you would rather by a new 200 esc for every new feature lrp,novak,ko,etc come up with because they don't up grade with free software but come out with a new esc all together.well to each there own
Old 11-30-2009, 08:11 AM   #8349
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

Hey Randy, I just want to say I would be willing to pay for HotWire updates if it meant some real efforts put around getting new software out faster like:

- A better user interface
- 64-bit support, can you even buy a 32 bit process anymore?
- Fix the bug with loading on Vista
- Ability to save profiles

I think $20 is not unreasonable to charge for significant HotWire updates (beats buying a new speedo). If that helps offset the cost of additional development I'm all for it.

It seems to me Tekin is always playing catch-up with another speedo. Would really love to see an investment made for it to be the speedo everyone else is trying to catch and I'm willing to pay for it.
or8ital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 08:47 AM   #8350
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to PitNamedGordie Send a message via Yahoo to PitNamedGordie

Quote:
Originally Posted by or8ital View Post
Hey Randy, I just want to say I would be willing to pay for HotWire updates if it meant some real efforts put around getting new software out faster like:

- A better user interface
- 64-bit support, can you even buy a 32 bit process anymore?
- Fix the bug with loading on Vista
- Ability to save profiles

I think $20 is not unreasonable to charge for significant HotWire updates (beats buying a new speedo). If that helps offset the cost of additional development I'm all for it.

It seems to me Tekin is always playing catch-up with another speedo. Would really love to see an investment made for it to be the speedo everyone else is trying to catch and I'm willing to pay for it.
I'm not complaining about the frequency of the updates, and I am doing ok with the current software and interface. BUT I would be willing to pay $10-$20 for updates if it would help in future developments.

I'm not sure how the Tekin did this weekend against cars with Black Diamond or other new ESC's...I'm sure they held there own. But like Or8ital, I too want to be the front runner...and not just try to keep up with the competition.

Don't get me wrong, I still believe in the product.
Old 11-30-2009, 09:00 AM   #8351
Company Representative

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

So many are looking for magic in the speedo, while there are some great tuning aids, most racers are leaving the time on the track, changing apex, lift points, too much traction, tapping the wall, turning too hard, too much wheel travel scrubbing speed, how about bearings and driveline maint.... so many of these factors add up to over all speed not just speedo and motor... it is the whole package that needs to be put together... while money seems like it will make you faster often times hard work will get you more speed...

With that I am very happy with Tekin and the current line of thought and software.. and if there is some magic in a new speedo you can expect some reverse engeneering to happen and as long as it is possible for that to come back to all other speedos... You will just be able to upload the new stuff instead of purchase....

MMR Direct Minneapolis World Class Indoor Race Facility.
On Road and Off Road racing year round.

www.molzermoweryracing.com
http://www.facebook.com/pages/MMR/160679913944205?__req=9

Check out You Tube mmrswracing. Every qualifier and every main uploaded at the end of every race day.
ammdrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 09:18 AM   #8352
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 73 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ammdrew View Post
So many are looking for magic in the speedo, while there are some great tuning aids, most racers are leaving the time on the track, changing apex, lift points, too much traction, tapping the wall, turning too hard, too much wheel travel scrubbing speed, how about bearings and driveline maint.... so many of these factors add up to over all speed not just speedo and motor... it is the whole package that needs to be put together... while money seems like it will make you faster often times hard work will get you more speed...

With that I am very happy with Tekin and the current line of thought and software.. and if there is some magic in a new speedo you can expect some reverse engeneering to happen and as long as it is possible for that to come back to all other speedos... You will just be able to upload the new stuff instead of purchase....
You tell that to previous IIC, Birds, Reedy champs, that they are .5 off pace because of thier car setup, or line, it's NOT the case this time, it's like having a 13.5 motor in a 17.5 class.
Old 11-30-2009, 10:11 AM   #8353
Regional Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeXray View Post
You tell that to previous IIC, Birds, Reedy champs, that they are .5 off pace because of thier car setup, or line, it's NOT the case this time, it's like having a 13.5 motor in a 17.5 class.
McSmooth finished a lap up on EA in the last round of qualifying with his Tekin RS Pro vs. EA's Black Diamond. He just drove better. He was also leading the main until he got peeled and broke a camber link.

We'll see if a firmware update can level the playing field. People were guessing that the AE speedo optimizes the motor timing vs RPM, instead of a fixed timing boost and then turbo after a fixed time at full throttle. People were gearing down a lot when using the AE, giving better rip, but didn't lose anything on top end.
CarbonJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 10:34 AM   #8354
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 39 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stealth_RT View Post
The other thing I heard at the Champs was that Tekin will not be able to catch up to the AE speedo with just a firmware update. They will have to change the board inside (at a minimum) to get the ESC to do what they need. If this is true, my guess would be that the current microcontroller on the board does not have enough memory to hold larger rpm/load/timing maps. (the electronic geeks out there will understand). Hopefully they will have an update/exchange program for current RS/Pro users. Of course, even if they don't, its easy to sell off existing RS/Pros to people who race offroad, where none of this speedo sillyness matters.
I found this from the other thread.
bukil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 02:09 PM   #8355
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarbonJoe View Post
McSmooth finished a lap up on EA in the last round of qualifying with his Tekin RS Pro vs. EA's Black Diamond. He just drove better. He was also leading the main until he got peeled and broke a camber link.

We'll see if a firmware update can level the playing field. People were guessing that the AE speedo optimizes the motor timing vs RPM, instead of a fixed timing boost and then turbo after a fixed time at full throttle. People were gearing down a lot when using the AE, giving better rip, but didn't lose anything on top end.
Whilst I take the point about driving style, the performance of the AE BD is not something explained by timing and rpm optimisation. At the IIC, the CRC guys were clearly faster on the straights by enough margin to make the others (including Hupo Honigl - no mean driver!) look slow on the straight, no matter what Tekin threw at their speedos.

If this were a timing issue, then the Tekin guys would have equalled the AE BD during the week. Since they couldn't, it seems to me that AE have come up with something else. I hope Tekin will close the gap, but I think eventually it will prove to be new hardware.

What I don't understand is why everyone is moaning about it. Sort it out with track design. Tighten up your infield, and put a chicane in the straight - that'll allow the best drivers to win, not the speedo.
SlowerOne is offline   Reply With Quote