R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 11-27-2009, 07:20 AM   #8326
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by radwerx View Post
Hi. Have just slapped a 11.5T to my RS Pro. Geared at about 6.2 FDR (touring). I have tried to test the turbo function with 0 timing boost and max turbo at 0.5sec. With the car on stands there does not seem to be a noticeable 'step up' in speed that some people were describing in this thread that is akin to a nitro 2-speed. Am I missing something?

This is the first time I have tried the sensored mode as I used to run dual mode with a 5T previously.

Some pointers will be helpful. Thanks.
Than something is wrong.
Recalibrate your radio with the speedo.
Try it than again.
Tekin Redline 10,5
Protoform LTC-R
mikky32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2009, 07:24 AM   #8327
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Hi. Have just slapped a 11.5T to my RS Pro. Geared at about 6.2 FDR (touring). I have tried to test the turbo function with 0 timing boost and max turbo at 0.5sec. With the car on stands there does not seem to be a noticeable 'step up' in speed that some people were describing in this thread that is akin to a nitro 2-speed. Am I missing something?

This is the first time I have tried the sensored mode as I used to run dual mode with a 5T previously.

Some pointers will be helpful. Thanks.
First thing is to double check is that you're actually getting full throttle on the speedo.

Second thing is to lengthen the delay if it's too fast for you to hear/see it on the bench. If you have a big straight you'll want to play with a longer delay anyway.
Fred_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2009, 07:46 AM   #8328
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Ah. Thanks a lot, mikky and fred. It turned out to be in need of a recalibration...damn, that means I was running my 5T without have WOT? No wonder it felt 'slow'.. haha.

Anyway the transition to Turbo isn't as obvious as a mechanical 2 speed. It sort of ramps up gradually. Sort of like the effect of turning a knob for a variable resistor in the circuit.
radwerx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2009, 08:02 AM   #8329
Tech Elite

Quote:

[...]

Anyway the transition to Turbo isn't as obvious as a mechanical 2 speed. It sort of ramps up gradually. Sort of like the effect of turning a knob for a variable resistor in the circuit.

A pretty darn quick turn of the knob I would say. My turbo kicks in exactly like a 2-speed nitro tranny.

The best upgrade to any car is some driver skill.
niznai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2009, 08:11 AM   #8330
Tech Master

Quote:
Ah. Thanks a lot, mikky and fred. It turned out to be in need of a recalibration...damn, that means I was running my 5T without have WOT? No wonder it felt 'slow'.. haha.

Always reset and recalibrate the speedo after a update.
This way you now for shore you don't have any problems.

You were not driving full throttle with the 5T.
Tekin Redline 10,5
Protoform LTC-R
Old 11-27-2009, 10:16 AM   #8331
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I know that recalibration is required when we update the firmware. And the wierd thing is that I did just that when i switched over to v.200.

Is there a possibility that the calibration will run?
radwerx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2009, 01:02 PM   #8332
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Your transmitter can drift its settings, and the RS can read that as no longer being 'full throttle'. Best thing to do, as mentioned a million times throughout this thread, is to turn down your throttle EPA 5-10 points, recalibrate your RS, then turn the EPA back up. This gives you a cushion so when your TX drifts, you'll still hav full throttle and therefore your turbo will always kick in.
Serpent S411 Eryx 4.0 USGT
Team Serpent America and Desoto Racing
Stealth_RT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2009, 02:15 PM   #8333
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Well, I'm not a connected insider, so I don't know what Tekin is cooking up for the next firmware release. Probably an RPM based timing table that is more dynamic over the RPM range than the '3 step' setup they have now. But eventually, some ESC maker is gonna come up with a 3D timing map that is both load (amps) and RPM based, when you have to fill in a timing value in each load vs RPM cell. I'm sure Randy and anyone else who messes with tuning real cars knows what I'm talking about. That would be the ultimate in tuneability for these ESCs. But it sure will be a PITA to get all the cells dialed in w/o an onboard datalogger that will record motor timing and amp draw as well as RPM. I attached a quickie spreadsheet to show what I mean. I didn't finish filling in all the cells, but you'll get the idea.
Attached Files
File Type: txt Timing map1.txt (7.5 KB, 236 views)
Serpent S411 Eryx 4.0 USGT
Team Serpent America and Desoto Racing
Stealth_RT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2009, 03:52 PM   #8334
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stealth_RT View Post
Well, I'm not a connected insider, so I don't know what Tekin is cooking up for the next firmware release. Probably an RPM based timing table that is more dynamic over the RPM range than the '3 step' setup they have now. But eventually, some ESC maker is gonna come up with a 3D timing map that is both load (amps) and RPM based, when you have to fill in a timing value in each load vs RPM cell. I'm sure Randy and anyone else who messes with tuning real cars knows what I'm talking about. That would be the ultimate in tuneability for these ESCs. But it sure will be a PITA to get all the cells dialed in w/o an onboard datalogger that will record motor timing and amp draw as well as RPM. I attached a quickie spreadsheet to show what I mean. I didn't finish filling in all the cells, but you'll get the idea.
That's what I was also thinking of.
You made a very nice sheet.
Tekin Redline 10,5
Protoform LTC-R
Old 11-27-2009, 04:33 PM   #8335
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 100 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by vazzo View Post
Whats the latest and greatest 10.5 setup for medium/technical track, long back straight?
Anyone
Old 11-27-2009, 05:28 PM   #8336
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by vazzo View Post
Anyone
My setup with a 10,5 Tekin redline motor on such a track is this.

Boost 15
Turbo max.
Turbo delay from 0,5 to 0,7 The 0,7 gave a bit better infield speed so I think 0,7 to 0,8 would be better.
Throttle 5
Brake 75%
Motor timing 8 to 10 (8 gave same more power in the infield
Gearing 6,3FDR
motor temp was 75C

I used also this setup.
Boost 10
Motor 8
Turbo max
Turbo delay 0,5
Throttle 5
Brake 75%
Gearing 6.0FDR
Infield speed was better than the setup above but the top speed was a bit lower. I reached the top speed before the end of the straight. Whit a bit shorter straight I would chooses this setup with probably also a gearing of 6.3FDR. This will give more infield speed.
Watch also that the straight is not to long for this setup.
If you gear heavier with this setup, higher than also the Turbo delay. Set it around the 0,8 to 0,9sec.
With the heavier gearing, you get more top speed.
Tekin Redline 10,5
Protoform LTC-R
Old 11-27-2009, 10:14 PM   #8337
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

Need a good setup for Ballistic 17.5 and 13.5

carpet track 100ft strait, Rubber TC.
ChristopherKee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009, 04:06 AM   #8338
Tech Addict

Hotwire Issue with notebook which is the Asus 900A running XP Home

have HW working on desktop, laptop and notebook but on notebook I'm having some issues

downloaded both Microsoft .NET 2.0 Framework & Microsoft Windows Installer 3.1 from http://www.teamtekin.com/hotwire/ins...twirehelp.html

when I run HW it gives the message in pic 1 and in pic 2 I can click on the version button but it doesn't open

Pic 3
should I be seeing anything in the empty windows on bottom of faceplate?
Attached Thumbnails
Tekin RS ESC sensored-tekn-error-1.jpg   Tekin RS ESC sensored-tekn-error-2.jpg  

Last edited by radio_car_racer; 11-28-2009 at 04:17 AM.
radio_car_racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009, 05:20 AM   #8339
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 101 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by radio_car_racer View Post
Hotwire Issue with notebook which is the Asus 900A running XP Home

have HW working on desktop, laptop and notebook but on notebook I'm having some issues

downloaded both Microsoft .NET 2.0 Framework & Microsoft Windows Installer 3.1 from http://www.teamtekin.com/hotwire/ins...twirehelp.html

when I run HW it gives the message in pic 1 and in pic 2 I can click on the version button but it doesn't open

Pic 3
should I be seeing anything in the empty windows on bottom of faceplate?
install this one
http://redirectingat.com/?id=42X1295...Hotwire200.zip
Old 11-28-2009, 10:10 AM   #8340
Tech Adept

i stopped by to tell every one that they should not be afaid that they dont the have the "spectacularly magic!" Advanced speedy. im running here at the indoor champs and i see nothing special about it. i am running a motor everyone hates(orion 2008 race) a chassis that shouldnt work ( hb c12, and is isnt working right YET!) and peoples are coming to me for help on getting their rig to be as fast.

if i could get my chassis set up good i would be golden, but i am not lacking in the horse power. i thought some one pulling on me on hte track but the people with me say that i am not. btw that person runs for novak.

my set up:
17.5 orion vortex 2008 race
tekin rs pro
reedy 3.7v 1 s 4600
3.8 rollout
52 pinion, 72 spur
20 degrees on motor, 25 boost , max turbo
mxzhonkey is offline   Reply With Quote