R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 11-24-2009, 08:26 AM   #8296
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

the vegas 200 is the one that goes down to .2 in delay.

for such a small track I would think that the timing you have in the rs and motor is a little high, you get no torque out of the motor with high timing

Team Tamale | Team Tekin | RCAmerica | Speedmerchant | Speedzone RC | EA Motorsports | Ko Propo USA | eXpress Motorsports | Parma/PSE
theisgroup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 08:35 AM   #8297
Team Tekin

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to Randy_Pike

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOW ET View Post
this is intended for RANDY PIKE but anyone can chime in.

can you give me a setup to put on my tekin rs esc for carpet 13.5t rubber touring car (v200 software). i'm using thunder power 5000 40c lipo, lrp x12 13.5t motor, same car and setup larry fairtrace ran at the classic.

track is 90'X40'

If it were me I'd start out with 5-10 on the motor, 15 on timing boost with 10 turbo .2 delay to start out. Find you gearing without the turbo at first. I'd be looking for the best punch/midrange feel first. The layout is simiiar to the IIC vegas layout with a few corners swapped around. The 180 entrance to the straight will most likely put you in the .2 to .4 delay depending on when you pick up throttle.

You will need to use all the torque the motor can give you WITHOUT overtiming it in the first place. This is the easiest mistake to make and is quite common...

If I took a stab at FDR I'd say in the 6.2ish range...

Tekin,Protek,A-Main Hobbies,JConcepts,Avid RC,Yokomo,MIP,SikLidz,FactoryRC, www.randypikerc.com
Randy_Pike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 08:36 AM   #8298
Team Tekin

Send a message via Yahoo to Randy_Pike

Quote:
Originally Posted by VRacing View Post
Randy,

I run on a small/tight track, 24x50 with 6' lanes. The straight is 50' with a 20' sweeper entry coming from a very slow chicane (approximately 60' of full throttle before you let off).

I am running a version of 200 I downloaded off of this site. The minimum Turbo Delay is 0.5. So far, finding the 0.2 version has been like an Easter Egg Hunt for me.

My best lap times have been with the following setup: Car-BMI DB12RR Lipo w/ Fantom 5000mah 40c, Rollout 70.5mm, Gear 41/84, RS [email protected], RS Esc Boost 25d, Turbo 20d, Delay .5sec(my current minimum without the correct software). This produces 138d temperature.

Slight changes in motor timing/ Boost setting bring the temperature up to the 150d mark and get a little boggy.

This track layout is like setting up for the tightest infield spot you've seen for the whole lap, then adding one short blast of speed.

Your insight would be appreciated.

Thanks
Shoot me an email here for the software: [email protected]

Tekin,Protek,A-Main Hobbies,JConcepts,Avid RC,Yokomo,MIP,SikLidz,FactoryRC, www.randypikerc.com
Randy_Pike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 08:54 AM   #8299

Location: a very small town in wisconsin that is in the middle of absolutely no where
Trader Rating: 57 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy_Pike View Post
If it were me I'd start out with 5-10 on the motor, 15 on timing boost with 10 turbo .2 delay to start out. Find you gearing without the turbo at first. I'd be looking for the best punch/midrange feel first. The layout is simiiar to the IIC vegas layout with a few corners swapped around. The 180 entrance to the straight will most likely put you in the .2 to .4 delay depending on when you pick up throttle.

You will need to use all the torque the motor can give you WITHOUT overtiming it in the first place. This is the easiest mistake to make and is quite common...

If I took a stab at FDR I'd say in the 6.2ish range...
we run on a similar sized track... fdr 6.2 motor timing 10, boost 12, turbo 20 .3 delay... throttle curve 4 or 5. motor temp's in the 140-155 range. i am usually 3-5th's faster that the rest of the guys at our track. my top 20 laps are a 1/10 or two faster than there single fast lap. love my tekin. since i have been running the rs 8 guys have since bought a tekin for onroad or offroad use. thanks tekin for the great product............. jeremy
Jeremy Whiting - serpent america - desoto racing - apicco race engines - RcRenew - jconcepts - Rc Pro Products - ko propo eurus - ko propo servos - VP PowerMaster Fuels - Answer-rc usa - advantage racing products - Parma/pse bodies - serpent 811 2.1 - 811t
J.Whiting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 01:03 AM   #8300
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Default 64-bit support

I did a little investigation into the 64-bit issue (I'm a software engineer, and I've got some experience with managed apps on 64-bit operating systems). The common issue that applications run into is that by default, Visual Studio builds managed applications to target platform "Any". This means that it should run as 32-bit process on a 32-bit system and 64-bit process on a 64-bit system. Unfortunately, many managed applications, including HotWire, have dependencies on 32-bit .dlls, and those .dlls don't load when the program runs as 64-bit process. The result is a crash. I've confirmed that HotWire crashes because of this issue. Forcing it to run as a 32-bit application on my Vista 64 machine allows it to run just fine.

There's a few ways to fix the issue.

1) At the source. If the application is built with Visual Studio in C#, just open the project properties, go to the "Build" tab, and set "Platform target:" to "x86". This causes "/platform:x86" to passed to the compiler, generating a binary that always runs as 32-bit. Hopefully this is all Tekin needs to do.

2) Write a 32-bit program that loads the HotWire assembly, and invokes its entry point directly. If you're a C# developer, it's pretty trivial to write a program that you drop in the hotwire directory, and it loads the HotWire.exe assembly using reflection (Assembly.Load()), finds the "Program" type, finds the "Main" method (have to specify static and non-public binding flags), and then invokes it. If you build such an application as a 32-bit application as described in 1), it will cause HotWire to run as a 32-bit application.

3) Use the "corflags.exe" program from the Windows SDK to modify the binary, setting the bit that forces it run as a 32-bit program. This thread has some suggestions on how to get it: stackoverflow.com/questions/242304/where-should-i-download-corflags-exe-from (can't post links yet, you'll have to copy / paste to the address line).

-Mike
grippgoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 05:36 AM   #8301
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 16 (94%+)

That's great programming information on the 64-bit support for the Tekin Hotwire Interface and Program.

Hopefully Tekin can take this information and quickly integrate these changes into the next version as almost all new computers are coming with Windows 7 x64 now, and this will become a larger problem for Tekin's large user community as time goes on.

Of course I think lots of us would like to see a Hotwire app for our iPhone, Windows Mobile, or Google Android device, but I'm not sure this is possible.
kn7671 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 06:39 AM   #8302
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by grippgoat View Post
I did a little investigation into the 64-bit issue (I'm a software engineer, and I've got some experience with managed apps on 64-bit operating systems). The common issue that applications run into is that by default, Visual Studio builds managed applications to target platform "Any". This means that it should run as 32-bit process on a 32-bit system and 64-bit process on a 64-bit system. Unfortunately, many managed applications, including HotWire, have dependencies on 32-bit .dlls, and those .dlls don't load when the program runs as 64-bit process. The result is a crash. I've confirmed that HotWire crashes because of this issue. Forcing it to run as a 32-bit application on my Vista 64 machine allows it to run just fine.

There's a few ways to fix the issue.

1) At the source. If the application is built with Visual Studio in C#, just open the project properties, go to the "Build" tab, and set "Platform target:" to "x86". This causes "/platform:x86" to passed to the compiler, generating a binary that always runs as 32-bit. Hopefully this is all Tekin needs to do.

2) Write a 32-bit program that loads the HotWire assembly, and invokes its entry point directly. If you're a C# developer, it's pretty trivial to write a program that you drop in the hotwire directory, and it loads the HotWire.exe assembly using reflection (Assembly.Load()), finds the "Program" type, finds the "Main" method (have to specify static and non-public binding flags), and then invokes it. If you build such an application as a 32-bit application as described in 1), it will cause HotWire to run as a 32-bit application.

3) Use the "corflags.exe" program from the Windows SDK to modify the binary, setting the bit that forces it run as a 32-bit program. This thread has some suggestions on how to get it: stackoverflow.com/questions/242304/where-should-i-download-corflags-exe-from (can't post links yet, you'll have to copy / paste to the address line).

-Mike
I would concur with this post.
Old 11-25-2009, 06:42 AM   #8303
Tech Adept

I would like a LINUX version please... Hotwire doesn't seem to run under Wine.

Hotwire is the only thing I've got that's preventing me from having a machine completely free from Microsoft software

Opensource FTW

Titanium Racing (Team TR Driver) / Tekin RS Pro / Novak Ballistic 13.5t / Spektrum

www.titaniumracing.com
amnesia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 06:50 AM   #8304
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by VRacing View Post
Randy,

I run on a small/tight track, 24x50 with 6' lanes. The straight is 50' with a 20' sweeper entry coming from a very slow chicane (approximately 60' of full throttle before you let off).

I am running a version of 200 I downloaded off of this site. The minimum Turbo Delay is 0.5. So far, finding the 0.2 version has been like an Easter Egg Hunt for me.

My best lap times have been with the following setup: Car-BMI DB12RR Lipo w/ Fantom 5000mah 40c, Rollout 70.5mm, Gear 41/84, RS [email protected], RS Esc Boost 25d, Turbo 20d, Delay .5sec(my current minimum without the correct software). This produces 138d temperature.

Slight changes in motor timing/ Boost setting bring the temperature up to the 150d mark and get a little boggy.

This track layout is like setting up for the tightest infield spot you've seen for the whole lap, then adding one short blast of speed.

Your insight would be appreciated.

Thanks
I ran last night on a 30'x50' track. Here's my settings for watch the paint dry 17.5 1/12th/1s lipo:

- 0 deg motor timing
- 15 deg boost
- Turbo max
- 5 neutral width
- Throttle Profile 4
- .2 turbo delay
- 79.9 mm rollout

I may have been geared a few mm too high. Should had probably ran a 77mm rollout in the main. Although I did have very little drop off through the run. My motor temp was 132 deg after the main.
Old 11-25-2009, 07:24 AM   #8305
Tech Master

Send a message via AIM to g12314 Send a message via Yahoo to g12314

Quote:
Originally Posted by jer7469 View Post
we run on a similar sized track... fdr 6.2 motor timing 10, boost 12, turbo 20 .3 delay... throttle curve 4 or 5. motor temp's in the 140-155 range. i am usually 3-5th's faster that the rest of the guys at our track. my top 20 laps are a 1/10 or two faster than there single fast lap. love my tekin. since i have been running the rs 8 guys have since bought a tekin for onroad or offroad use. thanks tekin for the great product............. jeremy
I've been running anywhere from 7.0 - 7.6 FDR in 13.5 on tracks smaller than 100'. 30 degrees total timing, max turbo, 0.5 delay. Motor without heatsink/fan comes off at 145 after 6 minutes. With the light gearing, the infield rip is great, and the turbo pulls me down the straight. Your mileage may vary, but I felt with all the timing advance (turbo) I was overgeared and kept dropping teeth till I stopped accelerating at the end of the straight.

Jeremy,

Did you ever try dropping like 5 teeth and run like we talked about in Green Bay? Just curious on the results. See you in a couple weeks for the Hurricane race.

Jimmy
Old 11-25-2009, 07:54 AM   #8306
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkirkwood View Post
I ran last night on a 30'x50' track. Here's my settings for watch the paint dry 17.5 1/12th/1s lipo:

- 0 deg motor timing
- 15 deg boost
- Turbo max
- 5 neutral width
- Throttle Profile 4
- .2 turbo delay
- 79.9 mm rollout

I may have been geared a few mm too high. Should had probably ran a 77mm rollout in the main. Although I did have very little drop off through the run. My motor temp was 132 deg after the main.
Thanks for the post. I'll experiment with some of your settings and start building a better setup than I've been using.
VRacing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 08:04 AM   #8307
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkirkwood View Post

- 0 deg motor timing
- 15 deg boost
- Turbo max
- 5 neutral width
- Throttle Profile 4
- .2 turbo delay
- 79.9 mm rollout

have you tried extending the turbo delay out to like .7+ and then gearing a little higher? at .2 with an 80mm roll out on a track that size, i am thinking that you are trying to ramp timing before the motor has a chance to spin up and that may be generating the heat in the motor.

I have been playing with trying to allow the motor to hit almost full rpm before I ramp timing up with the turbo. this has cooled the motor quite a bit and then it allows me to gear a little higher.

just something to try

Team Tamale | Team Tekin | RCAmerica | Speedmerchant | Speedzone RC | EA Motorsports | Ko Propo USA | eXpress Motorsports | Parma/PSE
theisgroup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 08:29 AM   #8308
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jland View Post
On the 3pks go to CH Reverse and select TH and put it in reverse. I just set mine up and it works by doing this.
bro still have that prolblem seem like my radio cant macth with rspro need to push mode button 3scnd everytime to play any s else suggestion thanks
Old 11-25-2009, 08:45 AM   #8309
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default hotwire

to mr randy how much tekin hotwire n a cost send to malaysia thanks
Old 11-25-2009, 08:51 AM   #8310
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by theisgroup View Post
have you tried extending the turbo delay out to like .7+ and then gearing a little higher? at .2 with an 80mm roll out on a track that size, i am thinking that you are trying to ramp timing before the motor has a chance to spin up and that may be generating the heat in the motor.

I have been playing with trying to allow the motor to hit almost full rpm before I ramp timing up with the turbo. this has cooled the motor quite a bit and then it allows me to gear a little higher.

just something to try
Thanks, yes that is a very valid point. I've been working on the same thing. Lower Rollout with early Turbo vs. Higher Rollout with more delay. I'm trying to test for a setup that would be able to use the Turbo function on such a short straight, may not be very effective?
VRacing is offline   Reply With Quote