R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 11-09-2009, 11:13 PM   #8086
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Trying to help one of our local guys out,

Has anyone run one of the new SP 3.0 17.5 motors with the Tekin RS ?

If so how did you find it compared to other 17.5 motors as far as gearing and timing settings in the speedy ?

A couple of the guys here have tried them and found them to be slow and needing huge amounts of teeth thrown at them to make them even close to other motors ??

*HEI International for Protoform/Proline/Spaz Stix
*Bitty Design Australia for Bodies and Liquid Mask
* Airbrushmegastore.com for all paint and airbrush supplies
B4james is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 05:54 AM   #8087
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikky32 View Post
That is the service of Tekin. It's great.
Here on the forum and the mail. They will always try to help you.
Yup. So far my experience has been positive (apart from the dead ESC). I've been quite impressed with their level of support so far. Hopefully it will be a fast turn around to get my ESC fixed/replaced.
spongerX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 06:07 AM   #8088
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by B4james View Post
Trying to help one of our local guys out,

Has anyone run one of the new SP 3.0 17.5 motors with the Tekin RS ?

If so how did you find it compared to other 17.5 motors as far as gearing and timing settings in the speedy ?

A couple of the guys here have tried them and found them to be slow and needing huge amounts of teeth thrown at them to make them even close to other motors ??
Yes the SP 3.0 is slower. The 10,5 13,5 and the 17,5 are slower than other motors. You need to gear it very heavy to get some speed out of it.
Tekin Redline 10,5
Protoform LTC-R
mikky32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 06:34 AM   #8089

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Owen RaCing View Post
How about something for the Mac users? I get sick everytime my dad boots vista to play with his RS.
Now if he was booting up windows 7 that'd put a smile on yer face Arent you mac folks used to not getting any software support by now? Isn't that why apple allows MS OS's to be loaded on the lappies?!

(dislcaimer... I am a windows guy, but I do have OSX loaded on a hackintosh netbook just to see it work)
Old 11-10-2009, 09:24 AM   #8090
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

yep a niche OS requires niche software
craig mcphee ( WHERE'S MY BEER )
mangoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 09:55 AM   #8091
Tech Addict

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clegg View Post
Now if he was booting up windows 7 that'd put a smile on yer face Arent you mac folks used to not getting any software support by now? Isn't that why apple allows MS OS's to be loaded on the lappies?!

(dislcaimer... I am a windows guy, but I do have OSX loaded on a hackintosh netbook just to see it work)
Don't update your hackintosh,,, apple blocked that hack. http://www.informationweek.com/news/...Sfeed_IWK_News

Steve McGeorge
Mac The Knife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 10:43 AM   #8092
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

I want Bluetooth and an app for my Droid

Turns out not where, but who your with that really matters... DMB
tallyrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 10:51 AM   #8093
Tech Master

I only want more power. Alle that I get more is extra
Tekin Redline 10,5
Protoform LTC-R
Old 11-10-2009, 12:09 PM   #8094
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 16 (94%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tallyrc View Post
I want Bluetooth and an app for my Droid
That would be totally bad ass. Change your speedo settings during the race and on the fly by your pit man if needed.

It would also be very cool to have something like the Spektrum Telemetry system, but better, in that would tell you everything thing going on with the motor and speedo, and record the data every few milli-seconds. You could use this data to see how long you stay in full throttle, when the turbo came on, what the rpms were before and after the Turbo kicked in, battery voltage, and temperature logging along the entire race. This data would probably create some of the most accurate and powerful tuning aids in extracting every last ounce of power from your motor and speedo.
kn7671 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 01:23 PM   #8095
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kn7671 View Post
That would be totally bad ass. Change your speedo settings during the race and on the fly by your pit man if needed.

It would also be very cool to have something like the Spektrum Telemetry system, but better, in that would tell you everything thing going on with the motor and speedo, and record the data every few milli-seconds. You could use this data to see how long you stay in full throttle, when the turbo came on, what the rpms were before and after the Turbo kicked in, battery voltage, and temperature logging along the entire race. This data would probably create some of the most accurate and powerful tuning aids in extracting every last ounce of power from your motor and speedo.
The Novak Data Sentry Logger Pro does this, it doesn't feed the telemetry back to you, you connect the unit to your PC after the run and download the entire run with a .1 second refresh rate. It gives battery voltage, amp draw, rpm, g forces, and temp for the entire run or can be hooked up with the car on the bench and gives real time data. We used one on a Velodrome track this summer and even saw the rpm spikes when the tires lost contact with the track in a bumpy section.
Bob~H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 02:05 PM   #8096
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob~H View Post
The Novak Data Sentry Logger Pro does this, it doesn't feed the telemetry back to you, you connect the unit to your PC after the run and download the entire run with a .1 second refresh rate. It gives battery voltage, amp draw, rpm, g forces, and temp for the entire run or can be hooked up with the car on the bench and gives real time data. We used one on a Velodrome track this summer and even saw the rpm spikes when the tires lost contact with the track in a bumpy section.
Right, but if we could see that data in relation to the Tekin timing and turbo, imagine the possibilities. you would need higher resolution than .1 seconds, or 10ms.
Old 11-10-2009, 04:53 PM   #8097
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 47 (100%+)

Excedrin stock would probably go up 30% as well!
|◤ReflexRacing.net◢|◤Protoform◢|◤AVID R/C◢|
andrewdoherty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 08:17 AM   #8098
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default Should I gear up further or turn up the timing?

Hi guys. Have been running my RS Pro and an X-12 5 turn for quite awhile now. My FDR currently stands at 7.15 and my esc timing in dual mode is about 6 degrees. Motor timing is the factory recommended timing of -10 degs.

Somehow I just don't get enough top speed at my local track (~60 metre straight). I have geared up to 7.0 and also tried boosting the esc timing to 10 degrees but still can't keep up with another guy running a hobbywing 5.5T combo geared at 6.5 FDR on the straights.

Should I use an even larger pinion to gain my top speed? 'Cos my 5T gearing is getting really close to that of a 5.5T and I'm worried that I might have been doing something wrong.

Motor temps is good though at about 65 degs (with a high speed cooling fan). ESC temp is at 4 LEDS.

Some direction would be very m uch appreciated. Thanks.
radwerx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 11:28 AM   #8099
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by radwerx View Post
Hi guys. Have been running my RS Pro and an X-12 5 turn for quite awhile now. My FDR currently stands at 7.15 and my esc timing in dual mode is about 6 degrees. Motor timing is the factory recommended timing of -10 degs.

Somehow I just don't get enough top speed at my local track (~60 metre straight). I have geared up to 7.0 and also tried boosting the esc timing to 10 degrees but still can't keep up with another guy running a hobbywing 5.5T combo geared at 6.5 FDR on the straights.

Should I use an even larger pinion to gain my top speed? 'Cos my 5T gearing is getting really close to that of a 5.5T and I'm worried that I might have been doing something wrong.

Motor temps is good though at about 65 degs (with a high speed cooling fan). ESC temp is at 4 LEDS.

Some direction would be very m uch appreciated. Thanks.
the difference between a 5 and a 5,5T is not that big.
I would ad some extra timing.
Do you mean 6% or did you calculate the % back to degrees?
Because 6 is very low if it's in %. You can set it easy to 45% or higher when you keep enough power and the motor temp stays below the 80 degrees.
Also you can try to gear it heavier.
Combine the 2 so gear heavier and set your timing higher but watch the motor temp and watch also to the speedo temp.
Did you ad a extra cap? Use also a fan for the solder post.
Tekin Redline 10,5
Protoform LTC-R
Old 11-12-2009, 11:29 AM   #8100
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by radwerx View Post

Some direction would be very much appreciated. Thanks.
That is a pretty long straight, almost 200ft long.

Question - Are you and this other car running the same body at the same height, and are the cars at the same weight. If not, you may need to work out the aero and weight before getting further into motor and esc tuning, as these will be two big contributers into a cars top speed.