R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 09-17-2009, 10:50 AM   #7036
Tech Elite

Default Brake issues

I am running a 21.5 Tekin BL setup and everythign works fine. There is however some inconsistency with the brakes. When I start a race I have quite good brakes (I can lock the wheels), but when I finish I don't have any brakes. The motor doesn't overheat (temp is around 60degC at the end of race after 5 minutes) and otherwise everything is fine, the car is very consistent, has good speed, acceleration, etc all the way through. What can be the problem?

The best upgrade to any car is some driver skill.
niznai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 10:56 AM   #7037

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skiddins View Post
If it looks like this on the inside;

Then this is actually 30deg timing, which all the manufactures I've come across of 'Y' wound motors consider 0deg.
hehe I actually just did some checking on that myself. I took a Tekin motor which had the actual degrees listed, and set it to "0". Opened it. Checked the alignment of the sensors to the phases, and then opened my Orion to check. The Orion has a center longer hash mark that is "0" but has advance and retard hashes on either side.

I made a couple small graphics to illuistrate (I like pictures). Red lines are the leading edge of the next phase in the rotation, green boxes are the gaps between, black ring is the sensor ring, black boxes are the hall sensors.
Attached Thumbnails
Tekin RS ESC sensored-0deg.gif   Tekin RS ESC sensored-10deg.gif  
Old 09-17-2009, 07:26 PM   #7038
Tech Rookie

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bjake View Post
I just bought the FX-r for my F104 Pro. I had been running the RS Pro, but this one is smaller and fits better. The RS Pro was set up to run the silver can motor of the car and did fine.

When I installed the FXR, I have been unable to get it going. When I turn it on, all the lights glow dimly, and the VC button blinks bright red. I have reset everything to the default, set to the settings in the RS Pro and still nothing.

I am running the version 30(?) through the hotwire interface. The steering servo works fine, but I can't get any movement out of the motor, nor any arming beeps for the FXR.

Any suggestions?

Thanks Brian

Did u check voltage cutoff settings?
benokw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 08:02 PM   #7039
Company Representative

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clegg View Post
hehe I actually just did some checking on that myself. I took a Tekin motor which had the actual degrees listed, and set it to "0". Opened it. Checked the alignment of the sensors to the phases, and then opened my Orion to check. The Orion has a center longer hash mark that is "0" but has advance and retard hashes on either side.

I made a couple small graphics to illuistrate (I like pictures). Red lines are the leading edge of the next phase in the rotation, green boxes are the gaps between, black ring is the sensor ring, black boxes are the hall sensors.
thought center of magnetic field to other magnet's center is 0", I think 30" mechannical timing is the neutural (same speed FWD, REV) timing for a BL.
SweepRacingUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 12:53 AM   #7040
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by miller tyme View Post
No noticable difference between the RS or RS-Pro in a 1/12 with a 10.5. There may be some benefit in the B4 not in overall performance but in heat dissipation. There is little airflow in the tub of a b4 and with a modified wind you might see lower ESC temps with the RS-Pro.

As for motors I really like the Trinity Duo based motors.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sg1 View Post
No difference... I've run both. The Tekin 8.5 in a B4 is very driveable. I ran one last week in my X-Factory X6 Squared and had no problems on a clay track. On a low bite track, no I wouldn't run it. I'd stick with the Tekin in offroad, very smooth power band, great top speed.
-Wayne
Thanks guys, exactly the kind of input I was looking for!!!
adam lancia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 10:27 AM   #7041
Company Representative

I'm sure its been asked before in these 470+ pages, but what should be the FDR for a 13.5? Rubber TC, med size carpet track. Just getting back into the electric stuff so any set up advice on the speedo and motor is greatly appreciated. TIA!!

HB Racing/Team Orion
Gary Fliegel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 01:37 PM   #7042
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Fliegel View Post
I'm sure its been asked before in these 470+ pages, but what should be the FDR for a 13.5? Rubber TC, med size carpet track. Just getting back into the electric stuff so any set up advice on the speedo and motor is greatly appreciated. TIA!!
What type of motor are you running and what's the timing on it?
STLNLST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 01:49 PM   #7043
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

RS Pro, 10.5 & 4 cell NiMh batteries 42/4600's

what set up should I start out with on with a roll out around 55/58mmpr???
radio_car_racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 04:26 PM   #7044
Company Representative

Quote:
Originally Posted by STLNLST View Post
What type of motor are you running and what's the timing on it?
Its the Tekin 13.5. Timing is whatever it is coming out of the box. Its been 6 years since I have played with electrics, so all the timing and gearing and speedo programming are completely new to me.

HB Racing/Team Orion
Gary Fliegel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 04:38 PM   #7045
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Gary,
Last season on out track I was right around the 5.5 mark for the FDR.

I'd pick up the 17.5 as well. There was a few nights last season I didn't race because I didn't have a "stock" motor, only the 13.5.
Scottmisfits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 05:57 PM   #7046
Tech Master

Quote:
Its the Tekin 13.5. Timing is whatever it is coming out of the box. Its been 6 years since I have played with electrics, so all the timing and gearing and speedo programming are completely new to me.
I don't now witch FDR but set your Boost on 20 and motor on 10.
it's standard on 12.

I use a 10,5 with 5 cell.
You can compare it with a 13,5 on lipo. the 13,5 is a bit faster.
I use a 6.0FDR
Boost 20
Turbo Max
Motor timing 10 Motor Tekin Redline 10,5.
Tekin Redline 10,5
Protoform LTC-R
mikky32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2009, 09:57 AM   #7047
Tech Champion

Quote:
I'd take a look at the Tekin website and try one of the set up's posted there. I haven't run a Tekin on carpet yet but I plan on running the same set up that we run at our regionals next week since the track are almost simular in size.
STLNLST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2009, 10:48 AM   #7048
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 39 (100%+)

I'm going to try a Trinity Duo2 soon with my TEKIN RS. Does anyone have a good starting FDR for these motors?

Edit:
13.5 Duo2
bukil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2009, 01:16 PM   #7049
Tech Adept

Hello Guys, i buy a RSpro and go to my home, i only run Nosram-Lrp, escīs and motors, iīm very confident with electronics, but not with Tekin stuff.

I intend to race in Superstock (10.5T) with it, with 2S Lipos, for now i run with the Spec racing (SPX) esc, and the programs and ratios are differents, i think.

I have 2 brand, 10.5 motors, Tekin and Nosram (LRP).
I read here and in the tekin website a lot of info, and i have a clear idea how to program and setting, but a litle help is always welcome, can anyone recommend a good base to start, the tracks here are long, (40-60m ,130-200ft) straight, and fluids, but with low grip.

Thanks in advance, Luis C.
Old 09-19-2009, 08:04 PM   #7050
Tech Master

I am just wondering if this is normal operating for the tekin RS Pro with v200 software. I set all my settings via the hotwire then when I double check them on the actual speedy, the motor type setting is "all leds" lit up while the hotwire shows how I want it set up. Is this normal?

The reason for double checking the settings is because I have had settings change after setting them on the hotwire (LiPo cutoff and motor type) with the very early versions of the software and yes I was following the correct procedure.
dontfeelcold is offline   Reply With Quote