R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 08-30-2009, 09:00 PM   #6676
Tech Regular

Send a message via Yahoo to TC3MIKE

Quote:
Originally Posted by stiltskin View Post
I thought Rosewood closed. Are they still racing indoors or outdoors now?

Glen Hobbies/Rosewood never closed. Just a little over a dozen local racers race out there on both oval and the roadcourse. Carpet season won't start until October I guess. They are having a big race in September. The roadcourse was awesome! It was like racing on a euro style track w/ painted infield. I would difinately come back up. The locals with their xray 009s are pretty fast also.
TC3MIKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 09:31 PM   #6677
Team Tekin

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to Randy_Pike

Glad to see everyone is settling down into the 200 setups.

I'm happy you found out your loss of turbo. We're looking into the offending radio types a bit further...

Tekin,Protek,A-Main Hobbies,JConcepts,Avid RC,Yokomo,MIP,SikLidz,FactoryRC, www.randypikerc.com
Randy_Pike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 11:30 PM   #6678
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

just return from the Tamiya Championship. my first real race with the RS Pro v200.

Good: i quality 4th in the 17.5 class.
Bad: i drop to almost dead last at the start on all 3 rounds of finals

The problem: Turbo Lag.

Question: Is there a launch control in the RS Pro?

On the LRP, when you hold full brakes for a couple seconds, and then full throttle, it'll launch the car with full power. On the V200, i have to wait 0.5sec and then i have to wait for the turbo to ramp up. That 0.5sec delay at the start killed me. cars were passing me left and right before the first corner . I had great qualifing and race pace, but the start just nailed me

can this be addressed on the next firmware update? or this feature exist already?
over gear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 12:09 AM   #6679
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by over gear View Post
just return from the Tamiya Championship. my first real race with the RS Pro v200.

On the LRP, when you hold full brakes for a couple seconds, and then full throttle, it'll launch the car with full power. On the V200, i have to wait 0.5sec and then i have to wait for the turbo to ramp up. That 0.5sec delay at the start killed me. cars were passing me left and right before the first corner . I had great qualifing and race pace, but the start just nailed me

can this be addressed on the next firmware update? or this feature exist already?
doubt the turbo was your hassle seeing it only works from full speed.
You probably needed less timing to give you more bottom end rip or needed to drop a pinion size or two.
ONLY benefit of turbo is to gain a little more speed on the longest straight on medium to large tracks.
Dont see it being beneficial on smaller tracks as you are not on full throttle long enough.
TOP Racing Scythe, SP 4.5 V2, Hobbywing Xerun 120SD 2.0
TOP Racing Scythe, SP 13.5, Hobbywing Xerun 120SD 2.0
razzor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 01:51 AM   #6680
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikky32 View Post
Alexander I drive with a FDR of 6,3 on Rucphen wile all others are driving with a LRP motor and SPX on 5,2FDR

You can gear it light.
Lower the Boost.
What is your setup on motor and speedo?
I had motor on 12, boost on 18 full turbo at 0.5sec. And rollout of roughly 52mm. After talking with rcpoint at the end of the race i will now switch to 0 timing on motor, 30 boost and full turbo at 0,7-0,8sec and lower my rollout to roughly 37mm (5 teeth smaller on the pinion) and go upwards from there. I am sure watching his speed on the infield and straight with a 13.5t lipo TC and that same setup combo of speedo and motor timing with speeds up to 52m/h and very fast rip in the infield, that i will go towards the 57m/h with great rip in the infield.

I just really hope my motor didn't lost its grunt after a few times being at 199 degrees Fahrenheit (93 degrees celcius). Will test this weekend.
2wdrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 06:17 AM   #6681
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by razzor View Post
doubt the turbo was your hassle seeing it only works from full speed.
You probably needed less timing to give you more bottom end rip or needed to drop a pinion size or two.
ONLY benefit of turbo is to gain a little more speed on the longest straight on medium to large tracks.
Dont see it being beneficial on smaller tracks as you are not on full throttle long enough.
The turbo lsg CAN be an issue. Where I race, there is a sweeper that we approach at full speed, throttle off for a brief moment and back to full throttle leaving the sweeper. The 0.5 sec delay really shows here as the cars behind me suddenly gets so close or even overtaking me. Those racing with me notice this weak point and takes advantage of it.

If only the 0.5 sec delay can be reduced further....
cyanyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 06:40 AM   #6682
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 74 (100%+)

That sounds more like a chassis setup issue. If you're losing that much time in the sweeper because you can't keep the throttle down, work on the setup that'll allow you to get through the sweeper faster. The turbo feature isn't intended to provide instantaneous power boosts; if it were, you'd have to worry a lot more about motor temperature.
Old 08-31-2009, 07:18 AM   #6683
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyanyde View Post
The turbo lsg CAN be an issue. Where I race, there is a sweeper that we approach at full speed, throttle off for a brief moment and back to full throttle leaving the sweeper. The 0.5 sec delay really shows here as the cars behind me suddenly gets so close or even overtaking me. Those racing with me notice this weak point and takes advantage of it.

If only the 0.5 sec delay can be reduced further....
Rather change your RS setup to use more timing boost and less turbo boost, this way the difference between full throttle with turbo and full throttle without turbo isn't as noticeable

POWERED BY SPEEDZONE USA
Skitee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 07:29 AM   #6684
Tech Master

I had the same problem with the big sweeper at the track i drove. My chassis was understeering at high speeds. I changed the setup and can now go full throttle through the sweeper. Besides the fact that my rollout was too high wich now i will reduce drasticly, that 0.5 seconds i had on the turbo was there cause i couldn't make that turn and had to go off the throttle. I thought with the 0.5 seconds i could make up for the fact that i had to go off the throttle. The motor only gets hotter then because it doesnt rev enough when the turbo kicks in. Reducing rollout and change the setup of the car is the ticket. That is my experience from last saterday anyway...
Old 08-31-2009, 08:05 AM   #6685
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2wdrive View Post
I had motor on 12, boost on 18 full turbo at 0.5sec. And rollout of roughly 52mm. After talking with rcpoint at the end of the race i will now switch to 0 timing on motor, 30 boost and full turbo at 0,7-0,8sec and lower my rollout to roughly 37mm (5 teeth smaller on the pinion) and go upwards from there. I am sure watching his speed on the infield and straight with a 13.5t lipo TC and that same setup combo of speedo and motor timing with speeds up to 52m/h and very fast rip in the infield, that i will go towards the 57m/h with great rip in the infield.

I just really hope my motor didn't lost its grunt after a few times being at 199 degrees Fahrenheit (93 degrees celcius). Will test this weekend.
You can also lower the Boost.
My setup was
Boost 15
Turbo Max
Motor 12
6,3FDR

I tried motor on 0 and I hath more infield power and i geared heavier. motor temp was the same. Infield speed was higher but i lost a bit of top speed.
Lap times were a bit slower.
I like a bit of motor timing on the big tracks.
You have more speed. Also on the longer infield parts.
Tekin Redline 10,5
Protoform LTC-R
mikky32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 08:33 AM   #6686
Tech Master

What i am looking for is great infield speed and great top speed ( who doesn't ). Even though he uses a different motor and that he drives TC instead of 235mm pancar, the speeds (straight and infield) that rcpoint has with his 13.5t TC is really so much more then anyone elses TC that i first will go with his setup .

The setup he uses sounds logic to me as the tekin redline 10.5t seems to be a high revs low torque motor and so is his motor. I did go faster with the redline then i ever did with the GM pro even though my rollout was too high for the motor and lost power after 3-4 minutes in the race. rollout was lower then i used with the gm pro but not low enough apparently
Old 08-31-2009, 09:47 AM   #6687
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2wdrive View Post
What i am looking for is great infield speed and great top speed ( who doesn't ). Even though he uses a different motor and that he drives TC instead of 235mm pancar, the speeds (straight and infield) that rcpoint has with his 13.5t TC is really so much more then anyone elses TC that i first will go with his setup .

The setup he uses sounds logic to me as the tekin redline 10.5t seems to be a high revs low torque motor and so is his motor. I did go faster with the redline then i ever did with the GM pro even though my rollout was too high for the motor and lost power after 3-4 minutes in the race. rollout was lower then i used with the gm pro but not low enough apparently
Yes gear it much lighter.
The motor loves much rpm's
Tekin Redline 10,5
Protoform LTC-R
mikky32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 09:53 AM   #6688
Super Moderator

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by over gear View Post

Nope... doesn't work that way. I gaurantee you that the other ESCs in those car's weren't starting out on the grid with fullly advanced timing. Even if they did.... they would be conderably SLOWER taking off at the tone, not faster. It seems like you either A) Are geared wrong, or B) are slow with your reaction time to the buzzer.
- RCSpecialties -
Cpt.America is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 10:11 AM   #6689
Tech Elite

Another question for team Tekin.

I have changed my gearing as instructed, so am now running a 3.5 FDR (21.5 turn redline/RSpro). I have noticed a significant drop in brake power (compared to the previous gearing). Nothing else was changed on my setup from before (just to remind you, 12 timing on motor, 10 boost, no turbo, no drag brakes, profile 3, sensored mode, no reverse, everything else zero or not used).

Thank you for your help.

The best upgrade to any car is some driver skill.
niznai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 10:36 AM   #6690
Tech Apprentice

How far can Tekin go before the components within the ESC will be unable to withstand the power and/or upgrades?
RSCosworth is offline   Reply With Quote