R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 08-27-2009, 04:42 PM   #6556
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I have one question for Randy Pike and a few for anyone that will entertain an answer.

For Randy. Does the Turbo delay kick in after you reach 100% throttle on your radio (input to the speed controller), or does it kick in after the motor reaches full speed?

For anyone that will entertain an answer. Suggestions for 17.5 Touring setup. Duo2, Tekin motors and what gearing and settings for the speedo.

Currently running the Tekin geared about 4.7 for infield speed. Physical motor timing at 0, Speedo timing at 15, boost max .5 delay. It just feels as if it is sluggish on the straight (100ft). Almost all of our tracks that we race on have a sweeper leading into a straight and normally a large sweeper out of it.

The other weekend while running v200 I was getting out pulled by a LRP and Hacker running 4.0FDR.

Any suggestions would be welcome.
Dondor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 04:48 PM   #6557
Super Moderator

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dondor View Post
For Randy. Does the Turbo delay kick in after you reach 100% throttle on your radio (input to the speed controller), or does it kick in after the motor reaches full speed?
The turbo "starts" to ramp up at .5 seconds after reaching full throttle, not a particular speed or RPM. I put "Starts" in quotes because you are not in full turbo in .5 seconds... it can take almost 2 full seconds for it to fully ramp up.
- RCSpecialties -
Cpt.America is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 06:44 PM   #6558
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Quote:
I have one question for Randy Pike and a few for anyone that will entertain an answer.

For anyone that will entertain an answer. Suggestions for 17.5 Touring setup. Duo2, Tekin motors and what gearing and settings for the speedo.

Currently running the Tekin geared about 4.7 for infield speed. Physical motor timing at 0, Speedo timing at 15, boost max .5 delay. It just feels as if it is sluggish on the straight (100ft). Almost all of our tracks that we race on have a sweeper leading into a straight and normally a large sweeper out of it.

The other weekend while running v200 I was getting out pulled by a LRP and Hacker running 4.0FDR.

Add a little motor timing to get some of the top end speed into the car. This worked for me the last time out.
STLNLST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 06:49 PM   #6559
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkspeedo View Post
Madmiki,
A 31mm rollout equates to ~6.3 FDR which is really really lite gearing. Most people I know and what Randy has stated for 17.5, gearing should be around 4.3-4.7. I think you would really see your car come alive if you geared heavier.
yeah maybe but the current track we are running on is quite small 11sec laps in 17.5.plus it is new carpet so it is very high traction so alot of load.with my current gearing i have the advantage of having instant speed on the infield and then the turbo kicks in on the straight nicely and i gain a metre on every one else.by the way im finishing 2 laps ahead of every one.but next week we are making a much bigger track then i will play aroung with gearing a bit more.
Randy since i won our state titles in 13.5 with this speedie which only one other club member was running we are now up to about 12 guys running it

http://www.topracing.net.au
HOBBYWING
FUTABA
madmiki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 07:04 PM   #6560
Tech Initiate

OK, I got the v200 in but I got no turbo boost or the delay slider, Did I do somthing wrong?
FNlewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 07:13 PM   #6561
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by FNlewis View Post
OK, I got the v200 in but I got no turbo boost or the delay slider, Did I do somthing wrong?
Make sure it's set to sensored mode. If it's in dual I don't think it will show those two settings.
Old 08-27-2009, 07:25 PM   #6562
Tech Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by STLNLST View Post
Make sure it's set to sensored mode. If it's in dual I don't think it will show those two settings.
Thats not it its in sensored mode,, IT wont show me what virsion I am in, I think I did somthing wrong.
Old 08-27-2009, 07:35 PM   #6563
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Did you delete the older software version file on your pc first??
ft4 MT wallet
cyclone;xxx-s;x-rayT2;crc gen xl;bmi 12rrl
GasGod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 07:41 PM   #6564
Team Tekin

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to Randy_Pike

Mad: that's great news!

Cap'n is right, turbo starts at the delay time spend AT full throttle.

Clint is right, make sure you select Sensored Only mode.

Tekin,Protek,A-Main Hobbies,JConcepts,Avid RC,Yokomo,MIP,SikLidz,FactoryRC, www.randypikerc.com
Randy_Pike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 08:05 PM   #6565
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Thanks, that helps me understand a bit.

Now knowing that, all you motor gurus, when the turbo kicks in and runs the artificial timing up, won't this also decrease your torque available since the timing is advanced?

Reason being, is if it as I suspect, I will need to find the time it takes for me to get to full speed after the sweeper in my track and adjust my turbo delay to hit at the right time to maximize acceleration on the straight.

Again, someone with more knowledge than me please educate me. I'm still trying to learn.

The 0.5 sec delay might be too short for what I need for the best acceleration.
Dondor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 08:11 PM   #6566
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Quote:

the reason your getting pulled is because your way undergeared. period. nothing to do with whos running what ESC
Old 08-27-2009, 08:14 PM   #6567
Tech Champion

Quote:
Thanks, that helps me understand a bit.

Now knowing that, all you motor gurus, when the turbo kicks in and runs the artificial timing up, won't this also decrease your torque available since the timing is advanced?

Reason being, is if it as I suspect, I will need to find the time it takes for me to get to full speed after the sweeper in my track and adjust my turbo delay to hit at the right time to maximize acceleration on the straight.

Again, someone with more knowledge than me please educate me. I'm still trying to learn.

The 0.5 sec delay might be too short for what I need for the best acceleration.
Unless you're running on a 1/8th scale gas track I feel that 0.5 delay should be just right for every electric track we race on from aspahlt to carpet.
Old 08-27-2009, 08:45 PM   #6568
Tech Master

There's no delay thats too short for me. The .5sec min is there to stop us from smoking our esc/motor.
cyanyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 08:55 PM   #6569
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I run a duo with 0 on the motor,20 time boost,max turbo,geared at 5.60 fdr and it's ballistic on a 100' straight.-- go figger Trying to go lower on gear but I need a bigger spur to do soTemps are 155 @6min.Seems the higher the fdr numbers give better brakes too.I'm likin my Tekin
ft4 MT wallet
cyclone;xxx-s;x-rayT2;crc gen xl;bmi 12rrl
GasGod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 10:23 PM   #6570
Tech Initiate

I can't figure it out, 6hrs of messing with it my eyes are burning. I am missing, somthing its brain cells.