R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 08-19-2009, 05:18 PM   #6331
Team Tekin

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to Randy_Pike

If motor temps and speed are both good leave it! LOL

Yes the tekin makes good torque but you can easily over gear ANY motor pretty easy and it's that "last pinion" that often takes you out of the game.

There is a "Vista How to" video I posted on Youtube and there is a link right on the Hotwire page. I show you my puter screen and talk you right through it while you watch. Glad you got sorted.

If you need to 200 please email me here for it:

[email protected]

Tekin,Protek,A-Main Hobbies,JConcepts,Avid RC,Yokomo,MIP,SikLidz,FactoryRC, www.randypikerc.com
Randy_Pike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 05:24 PM   #6332
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sohlman View Post
I just woke up my electric stuff today...sleepin since April. Anybody got v200 for me? I really appreciate it.
I have one when to you want one, LOL.
YLLIB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 08:17 PM   #6333
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkBrown View Post
What's your motor timing on this setup? Thanks.
brrrrm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 10:10 PM   #6334
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NovakTwo View Post
Ballistic Motor Timing Information Update (Preliminary)

In an effort to answer a number of questions relating to motor timing we have compiled some information to help you better understand static motor timing and its effects with our Ballistic Series of motors.

“How many Degrees of Timing does my Ballistic Motor have?”

Our Ballistic motors come with their timing calibrated and set from the factory. Using custom built and calibrated electronic equipment we set each and every motor to 30 degrees of timing. After Calibration the timing label is added and this set timing corresponds to the “N” on the timing label on the side

Each line on the label denotes a 5 degree change, so the timing available on the motor the label corresponds as follows:

-3 -2 -1 N +1 +2 +3
15 20 25 30 35 40 45

N = 30 (rows do not line up correctly)

SPECIAL NOTE: The timing we are describing is the ACTUAL ELECTRICAL TIMING in the motor, not just some arbitrarily reference made from a point on the outside of the motor like many of our competitors' motors. This makes comparing timing settings between different brands of motors difficult without the proper equipment.

“What Does Timing Adjustment do?”

We set our timing at an optimized point for most general applications. Adjusting the timing should only be done in small increments and with great care to observe the changes in system performance and temperatures.

WE RECOMMEND THAT YOUR SYSTEM’S TEMPERATURE NEVER EXCEED 160 DEGREES FARENHEIGHT.

When adjusting the timing, we recommend adjusting the timing, at most, 1 notch, or 5 degrees at a time.

When you turn the timing up to a more positive number (from N to +1) your motor will produce more no-load RPM and generally suffer a slight reduction in torque. To combat excessive heating brought about the loss of torque we recommend gearing down 1 tooth on the pinion for each notch (5 degree increment).

When turning the timing down, to a more negative number (from N to -1) your motor will produce less no-load RPM and generally experience an increase in torque. To combat a loss of top end speed brought about by the loss of RPM we recommend gearing up 1 tooth on the pinion for each notch (5 degree increment).
Based on the above info regarding Novak timing should I be gearing or setting up the V200 any differently? It's for a 17.5 stock motor. 30 degrees from factory seems very high to me. Given everyone's V200 setup so far I'm looking at around 60 degrees total timing (30 motor + 20 boost + 10 Turbo), is that correct? Seems very high to me. Also i'm not quite sure about what the mean by ACTUAL ELECTRICAL TIMING? Apparently this is the same for the SS series of Novak motors.

Input on this anyone?
bee200sx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 11:02 PM   #6335
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 77 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCarr View Post
Wouldn't this be an issue with having your deadband too low? I have a dx3r and ran it with teh deadband at 56 (default) and at 9 and the window definitely gets smaller. Just a thought maybe turn up your deadband a bit and it wouldn't be such an issue.
I think the deadband only comes into play at the center of the output (i.e. no throttle, no brakes) and not at the endpoints (max throttle, max brakes) but maybe Randy could confirm that??

Either way, I think I have my deadband in the 40's...don't have the hotwire handy to check.
slashdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 11:54 PM   #6336
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Hey Bee,

I run a novak 13.5 ss and run the novak set timing (approx. 30 deg.) plus 25 on timing boost (v 198) in my TC. I have never had the motor over 146 degrees (geared at 5.38 or 5.6). I just recently turned down the timing for the 200 software but haven't had the chance to test it out. When I get the opportunity, I will send you a PM with whatever info I may get. Could be a while though, just started a new job.
big al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 04:10 AM   #6337
Tech Master

I see most ppl here are trying to rev their motors too high to get speed instead of using the available torque mid range. The whole idea of using high timing is to compensate for speed on the straights. Now that we have the turbo with delay, there is no longer the need for gearing so light IMO.
cyanyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 04:15 AM   #6338
Tech Addict

but if you gear longer/taller/lower then the motor will probably peak too late and you won't make full use of the turbo function.