Trader Rating: 39 (100%+)

Just an update. It was my motor.
bukil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 09:10 AM   #5627
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 150 (99%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by liljohn1064 View Post
The factory defaults are there, but there seems to only be enough onboard memory to hold one custom profile. I'm guessing its possible, but how will adding memory affect cost and other than convenience, performance? I'd guess performance wouldn't change, but the speedo would grow a little in size.

Oh Randy!?
I believe the "saving profiles" refers to saving them on your computer like the castle link. Saving profiles is on the list for future hotwire improvements, but for now making everyone else cry foul is at the top of the list.
Old 08-05-2009, 09:11 AM   #5628
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

A little off topic, but the Redline 17.5 and RS showed up last night. I'm having an issue with the can sticker vs. the timing marks.

Looking at the endbell mark in relation to the sticker is positioned at 12* from the factory. The sticker indicates a range of 0* to 24*. My questions: are there 24* positive total timing with nothing lower than 0*? Or, is the motor physically at 0* even though the sticker says 12* and is dead on with the endbell marking?
Old 08-05-2009, 09:14 AM   #5629
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 150 (99%+)

Quote:
A little off topic, but the Redline 17.5 and RS showed up last night. I'm having an issue with the can sticker vs. the timing marks.

Looking at the endbell mark in relation to the sticker is positioned at 12* from the factory. The sticker indicates a range of 0* to 24*. My questions: are there 24* positive total timing with nothing lower than 0*? Or, is the motor physically at 0* even though the sticker says 12* and is dead on with the endbell marking?
Not off topic at all!

The tick on the plastic endbell lining up with 12* is indeed 12 degrees with nothing lower than 0. Rotating the end as far as it will go clockwise is zero timing and it should line up with 0 on the sticker.
Old 08-05-2009, 09:20 AM   #5630
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krio View Post
I believe the "saving profiles" refers to saving them on your computer like the castle link. Saving profiles is on the list for future hotwire improvements, but for now making everyone else cry foul is at the top of the list.
You're right. And to that I have to say.... NO foul. This is still one of the best and most highly supported Speedos on the market. That either way its a feature enhancement. I only wish I could afford to replace my fleet of GTBs and SP 1.1s all at once. I'm already planning on offloading the GTBs to my son's cars and trucks.

I'm not concerned about being able to import them from the laptop. I can type. I keep copies of my profiles on a notepad anyway in case it dies.
Old 08-05-2009, 09:25 AM   #5631
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krio View Post
Not off topic at all!

The tick on the plastic endbell lining up with 12* is indeed 12 degrees with nothing lower than 0. Rotating the end as far as it will go clockwise is zero timing and it should line up with 0 on the sticker.
Excellent! I ran my 7.5/RS out of the box with manual input for offroad carpet truck last winter and it was awesome. Today another RS and a Hotwire finally make their way home for another refit.

Anyone have a 17.5 Rubber Touring car setup they really like for the RS? I'm looking for motor timing, esc setup and gearing.

Thanks in advance,

John
Old 08-05-2009, 10:00 AM   #5632
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 138 (100%+)

how is 64 bit support coming?
Old 08-05-2009, 10:16 AM   #5633
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by B18C Turbo View Post
how is 64 bit support coming?
Was just about to ask myself. The production version of Windows 7 is released tomorrow on MSDN and I was going to install it but want to know how long I will be unable to use hotwire.
or8ital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 10:19 AM   #5634
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by or8ital View Post
Was just about to ask myself. The production version of Windows 7 is released tomorrow on MSDN and I was going to install it but want to know how long I will be unable to use hotwire.
i have tried it with windows 7 beta, working perfect
khaledome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 10:21 AM   #5635
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by khaledome View Post
i have tried it with windows 7 beta, working perfect
The 64 bit version? I dont even see a download for the 64 bit version of HotWire.

I would be happy to beta test hotwire with 64 bit if Tekin needs testers.
Old 08-05-2009, 10:27 AM   #5636
Tech Champion

Quote:
The 64 bit version? I dont even see a download for the 64 bit version of HotWire.

I would be happy to beta test hotwire with 64 bit if Tekin needs testers.
Why would the application have to be 64 bit? 32 is just fine.

From the MS Windows 7 Beta Site:

Quote:
Not only are there going to be several Windows 7 editions, but you will also need to decide if you are going to run a 32 bit or 64 bit version of the operating system. If your CPU is more than a few years old there is a good chance that you can only run the 32 bit version of Windows 7, however if you have a modern processor you may have to decide between each version.

The 32 or 64 bit architecture refers to the memory address length that can be referenced by the processor. This also has an impact on the maximum amount of memory that can be utilised, which is 4GB for a 32 bit CPU (but in reality the maximum accessible ram is closer to 3.4 GB due to other hardware allocations).

Having a 64 bit OS doesn’t automatically make all applications faster because much of today’s software is written and optimised for a 32 bit era. You’ll need software specifically optimised for 64 bit processing to take advantage of any speed improvements. Fortunately, many games are already including such enhancements.

You may think that using a 64 bit OS for a 64 bit processer is an obvious decision, but it is not so straightforward. Introducing a new architecture will cause new compatibility and driver problems that wouldn’t exist under the old 32 bit version.

Pros and Cons of a 64 bit system:

You can address much more than 4GB of memory, which is ideal for avid gamers, CAD, video editors and heavy multi-taskers. However, any 32 bit software you use will still be restricted to 4GB memory – you need a 64 bit CPU, OS and applications to take full advantage of the extra RAM.

16 bit applications will no longer run. Although this is unlikely to be a problem, if you use very old software (from the Windows 3.1 days!) then it will not work under a 64 bit OS.

Existing 32 bit drivers no longer work.If you have older or poorly supported hardware you may find that it can no longer be used. Got a 7 year old scanner that just about works in Vista? You may not be able to get it working in 64 bit Windows 7.

Unsigned kernel-mode drivers no longer work. Along with the issue above, the inability to run unsigned kernel mode drivers will cause problems for old hardware. (There is reportedly a way to bypass this check).

Running some 32 bit applications on a 64 bit OS could actually be slower. The additional overheads in running 32 bit software in 64 bit mode could cause a slight degradation in performance. It will take some time for 64 bit software to become the norm.
Old 08-05-2009, 10:32 AM   #5637
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Quote:
the answer is zero time as in the worst case you run xp compat mode
JayL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 10:32 AM   #5638
Tech Champion

Quote:
Why would the application have to be 64 bit? 32 is just fine.

From the MS Windows 7 Beta Site:
B/c it is hardware so it needs 64 bit drivers.
Old 08-05-2009, 10:34 AM   #5639
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayL View Post
the answer is zero time as in the worst case you run xp compat mode
Actually I cant. Requires 3 GB ram (2 for W7 and 1 for the VM for XP) and the max my laptop will recognize is 2.
Old 08-05-2009, 10:38 AM   #5640
Tech Champion

Quote:
B/c it is hardware so it needs 64 bit drivers.
The drivers... Those wonderful things I fight with on my PCs at home. I wonder if the the other guy is running the 32 bit version of the beta?

From my own post:

Quote:
Existing 32 bit drivers no longer work.If you have older or poorly supported hardware you may find that it can no longer be used. Got a 7 year old scanner that just about works in Vista? You may not be able to get it working in 64 bit Windows 7. [
I hope this isn't the case for Hotwire.