Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 07-29-2009, 02:29 AM   #5416
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RC MARKET View Post
LiPo use 4T or 4.5T had very fast .
Temp around 60-70 C
I would say 4.0t is the mainstay motor in mod. 4.5t is ok for small or low grip tracks but I also run 3.5t on some large tracks. Just be aware that while most people from spec racing struggle with motors of that power level most decent mod drivers can make use of that extra power to go faster even if they only use it on one section of the track. For this reason the speedy must be able to handle this kind of abuse. Note though that I am a big fan of using the speedies throttle profiles to manage the power to prevent me from being too greedy in head to head racing and I find this also makes a big difference to the temps.
Powered by Falco
Dragonfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 12:04 PM   #5417
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

I tried the 199 program and it does have some glitches. Hopefully the 200 program will be out soon.

I have a NIB RS PRO for sale $200 shipped.
Old 07-29-2009, 12:18 PM   #5418
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

Would you guys say the Hotwire is almost a requirement if you own the RS/RS Pro?

I love my tekin. Not so much my LRP SXX that's in my SC10.
Bigedmond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 12:22 PM   #5419
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to PitNamedGordie Send a message via Yahoo to PitNamedGordie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigedmond View Post
Would you guys say the Hotwire is almost a requirement if you own the RS/RS Pro?

I love my tekin. Not so much my LRP SXX that's in my SC10.
Yes. To take full advantage of the ESC you will need the Hotwire.
Old 07-29-2009, 12:44 PM   #5420
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 79 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by stonedgti View Post
I tried the 199 program and it does have some glitches. Hopefully the 200 program will be out soon.

I have a NIB RS PRO for sale $200 shipped.

What are these glitches?

--pakk
Old 07-29-2009, 01:02 PM   #5421
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by tc3team View Post
Sorry guys, uber,uber busy day in the office

Yes, exactly what you are describing... I would call 8.0 fdr a high ratio, a 4.0 a low ratio, if that contradicts what i've said already

A wrong gear ratio will heat the motor up more, whatever way you look at it.

A high ratio on a big track can make you hit your peak rpm too early, a low ratio on a small track will take you a century (and several wide corners) to find the top end speed such ratio gives, with no low down torque...

Think of it as trying to accelerate to full speed in a full size car when you're in 5th gear and going slowly. Its not healthy for an engine, its probably not healthy for an ESC/motor either...
Dragging this back a couple of pages...

This is not correct. The engineering standard is that high ratios are (for example) 1:1 and 2:1 in gearing, and low ratios are (for example) 10:1 and 12:1 - the bigger the number, the lower the ratio. You will confuse everyone if you don't stick to that convention!!

A low ratio multiplies the torque more, making it easier for the motor to gain revs. A high ratio multiplies the torque less, making it harder for the motor gain revs.

Power is torque x revs. If you have more torque, you can run a higher ratio because the motor will be able to gain speed using its torque. If you have more revs, you run a lower ratio to allow the motor to gain speed using its revs.

In neither case is it a given that the ratio allows you to get to top speed at any given point on any given track. For example, using the timing boost on the Tekin speedos increases the revs to get more power, as the torque is fixed for a given motor. But, to access those revs, you will need to drop the ratio (go to a lower ratio) as torque declines as the revs rise.

HTH
SlowerOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 04:41 PM   #5422
Tech Master

Sorry buddy, but EVERYONE else in RC forever has used high ratios being higher numbers, in relation to gear ratios. I think you may have your input-output wrong with the way you are referencing. It's a "high" ratio becuase at 10:1 the motor has to spin more to move the car than, say, 6:1.
I'm sure if the entire RC industry is at odds with the engineering community they won't lose too much sleep over it....
JR007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 04:47 PM   #5423
Super Moderator

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR007 View Post
Sorry buddy, but EVERYONE else in RC forever has used high ratios being higher numbers, in relation to gear ratios. I think you may have your input-output wrong with the way you are referencing. It's a "high" ratio becuase at 10:1 the motor has to spin more to move the car than, say, 6:1.
I'm sure if the entire RC industry is at odds with the engineering community they won't lose too much sleep over it....
Which is the exact opposite of normal use. For example, when you get in your car and put er into 1st gear to take off down the street, would you say you were in a low gear? or a high gear?

Regardless, its just semantics. Perhaps the confusion comes from interchanging the terms "high gear" and "high gear ratio".

When somebody says to me "gear your car high", or "gear up", I think of something closer to 1:1. When they say "gear your car low" or "gear down", I think of something like 10:1.
- RCSpecialties -
Cpt.America is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 05:40 PM   #5424
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 74 (100%+)

SlowerOne and Capt. America have it right... Those of us that play with 1:1 cars are used to 4:1 being a lower ratio than 2:1, and I'm still trying to figure out how the R/C community managed to accept the opposite as being true. However, it DOES explain the reason behind so many blown motors and ESCs over the years...
Old 07-29-2009, 05:43 PM   #5425
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

No need to post here about the glitches, because this is a beta version, and I've already given my feedback to the appropriate people. Once they release the 200 program, the glitches should be gone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pakk View Post
What are these glitches?

--pakk
Old 07-29-2009, 05:59 PM   #5426
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by oeoeo327 View Post
SlowerOne and Capt. America have it right... Those of us that play with 1:1 cars are used to 4:1 being a lower ratio than 2:1, and I'm still trying to figure out how the R/C community managed to accept the opposite as being true. However, it DOES explain the reason behind so many blown motors and ESCs over the years...
The 1:1 people that call a 4.11 gear lower than a 3.73 gear are the same people that call an engine a "motor". Most people that had high school physics will know that a 4:1 gear is a higher ratio than a 3:1 gear.

But, back to the RS...
Fred_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 06:01 PM   #5427
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by oeoeo327 View Post
for me when someone says 'gear up' they are NOT talking about the ratio, but the pinion size. as in, what pinion are you running ... a 32.....oh man thats to small you need to gear up..... as in put a 35 on. just my opinion
Old 07-29-2009, 06:09 PM   #5428
Tech Elite

Location: Conducting aggressive board meetings at my local track
Trader Rating: 64 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by skypilot View Post
for me when someone says 'gear up' they are NOT talking about the ratio, but the pinion size. as in, what pinion are you running ... a 32.....oh man thats to small you need to gear up..... as in put a 35 on. just my opinion
Bingo. That's the Pit talk round here too.

Three words...

Ready... Steady... Confetti!!!! (gonna need a new one of those)
SpraydbySprague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 06:19 PM   #5429
Super Moderator

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred_B View Post
The 1:1 people that call a 4.11 gear lower than a 3.73 gear are the same people that call an engine a "motor". Most people that had high school physics will know that a 4:1 gear is a higher ratio than a 3:1 gear.

But, back to the RS...
An Engine IS A motor. Lets look up the definition, shall we?

Quote:
mo⋅tor  /ˈmoʊtər/ Show Spelled Pronunciation [moh-ter] –noun

1. a comparatively small and powerful engine, esp. an internal-combustion engine in an automobile, motorboat, or the like.
You are confusing "motor", with "electric motor".

But back to the RS When we getting 200?!?!?
- RCSpecialties -
Cpt.America is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 06:52 PM   #5430
Team Tekin

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to Randy_Pike

Wow, I leave you guys alone for a few minutes and whamo! Gear ration talk and a "definition" argument! LOL

Gearing up was traditionally a reference to pinion sizes, back when we had very limited choices on spurs,etc.

200 was bench tested and track tested in house all day today...it's coming.

Tekin,Protek,A-Main Hobbies,JConcepts,Avid RC,Yokomo,MIP,SikLidz,FactoryRC, www.randypikerc.com
Randy_Pike is offline   Reply With Quote