R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 07-24-2009, 07:40 AM   #5116
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by twelvegauge View Post
I just bought a tekin rs to replace my novak gtb that burned up on me again, I am not impressed so far and i have the hot wire program but I dont know what you guys mean with the boost I dont see anything about that on the screen. When I punch it from a stop it hesitates for a second then goes I still have the novak 17.5 motor in it. when I had the gtb it would roast the tires on take off not now. any suggestions on what I need or need to do?
Boost is in sensored mode.
If its hesitating initially you probably in sensoreless mode and experiencing cogging.
TOP Racing Scythe, SP 4.5 V2, Hobbywing Xerun 120SD 2.0
TOP Racing Scythe, SP 13.5, Hobbywing Xerun 120SD 2.0
razzor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 07:46 AM   #5117
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to twelvegauge Send a message via MSN to twelvegauge

I put it in sensored mode and it does not cog it just does not go right away when I hit the throtle it waits a second. My TA car with the gtb spectrum 21.5 is olmost as fast as the tekin w/ 17.5. I think the tekin is all hype.
twelvegauge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 07:54 AM   #5118
Tech Champion

Quote:
I put it in sensored mode and it does not cog it just does not go right away when I hit the throtle it waits a second. My TA car with the gtb spectrum 21.5 is olmost as fast as the tekin w/ 17.5. I think the tekin is all hype.
My take on this is either there is something not configured properly, or your motor is not in good shape,(dirty/faulty sensor?) also I would look at your endpoints...

Only my 0.02$, I would like to see that you can be proved wrong with the hype,we have some good results to our name.

The wife stops me being sane and the r/c stops me from going insane....
tc3team is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 08:00 AM   #5119
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Quote:
Hype doesnt win races and Tekin has won alot of races you might want to check you radio and see if you a delay set. As far as speed goes you may have to play around with gearing and timing just play around with the hotwire you will find a setup thats fast. I also have to ask if you burned up the GTB did you possibly get the motor hot as well? Heat is a brushless motors worst enemy causes the magnet to lose strength. If problem persist call Tekin and see what they say to do.

Team Associated TC6-Viper R/C Solutions-Sweep Racing-Fullthrottle Motorsports-APH
www.speedybillsrc.com
www.ovrccc.com
hpisims is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 08:06 AM   #5120
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I've got Tekin Redline 6.5T motor - anyone have tip how to gear it on small track? (aproximately)
Thanks.
lochness42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 08:14 AM   #5121
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 74 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tc3team View Post
My take on this is either there is something not configured properly, or your motor is not in good shape,(dirty/faulty sensor?) also I would look at your endpoints...

Only my 0.02$, I would like to see that you can be proved wrong with the hype,we have some good results to our name.
+1 - I'd check to make sure that the motor is clean, check the neutral width setting, and that you're not using too much total timing. Some motors like more timing than others, even those from the same manufacturer. For example, I have two Trinity Duo motors, a 13.5 and a 17.5. I can run 10 deg. of timing on the 17.5 motor, but have to run the 13.5 with 0 deg. of timing using the same speedo setup. Oddly enough, I'm using the EXACT same FDR for both motors on the same track...

Bottom line is every motor is different - you might need to experiment a little until you see the performance you're looking for.
Old 07-24-2009, 08:43 AM   #5122
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by oeoeo327 View Post
+1 - I'd check to make sure that the motor is clean, check the neutral width setting, and that you're not using too much total timing. Some motors like more timing than others, even those from the same manufacturer. For example, I have two Trinity Duo motors, a 13.5 and a 17.5. I can run 10 deg. of timing on the 17.5 motor, but have to run the 13.5 with 0 deg. of timing using the same speedo setup. Oddly enough, I'm using the EXACT same FDR for both motors on the same track...

Bottom line is every motor is different - you might need to experiment a little until you see the performance you're looking for.
I have only used the motor for about 14 races it worked fine before it never has been over 155 deg. where can I get the version 198 from I dont see it on tekin web and I dont have the boost option on the hot wire but I am looking on the hot wire site. I dont have work today so I think I will spend the day toying with it in my driveway. I will try all these things and see what happens.

The motor I am using is not the same one that I had in the car when it burned up.
Old 07-24-2009, 08:52 AM   #5123
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 100 (100%+)

Quote:
I just bought a tekin rs to replace my novak gtb that burned up on me again, I am not impressed so far and i have the hot wire program but I dont know what you guys mean with the boost I dont see anything about that on the screen. When I punch it from a stop it hesitates for a second then goes I still have the novak 17.5 motor in it. when I had the gtb it would roast the tires on take off not now. any suggestions on what I need or need to do?
Make sure you check the sensored box on the hotwire screen otherwise you're have the timing advance on the screen. Also check that you're in BL-FW mode as well. Other things to check is the expo on your transmitter. Also try a throttle 4 or 5 profile but basically the throttle profile is similar to expo setting but on your esc. If you haven't done so update to 198 software. Recalibrate esc with radio after you save your settings. A good starting point for the Novak 17.5 running 198 is least amount of mechanical timing on the motor itself and then use 15 on the timing boost and start off with a FDR of 4.2 if you're running on tracks where the fast guys are at 13s-14s laps. You can tweak the setting from there.
Old 07-24-2009, 08:54 AM   #5124
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 74 (100%+)

Quote:
I have only used the motor for about 14 races it worked fine before it never has been over 155 deg. where can I get the version 198 from I dont see it on tekin web and I dont have the boost option on the hot wire but I am looking on the hot wire site. I dont have work today so I think I will spend the day toying with it in my driveway. I will try all these things and see what happens.

The motor I am using is not the same one that I had in the car when it burned up.

Here's the link for the latest hotwire software...
http://www.teamtekin.com/hotwire.html

The download includes hotwire software v3.25 and speedo software v 1.98. Once you download the software and update the speedo, select sensored only (otherwise you won't see the timing boost function), start with no motor timing and run the timing boost between 20-25 degrees for starters. Use an FDR of roughly 4.1-4.2 to start, and monitor the temperature of the motor after a 3-4 minute run. Try a neutral width setting of 15-20, throttle profile 3, and turn off the current limiter.
Old 07-24-2009, 08:56 AM   #5125
Tech Elite

all the software versions are listed in a pop out window on the right of the Hotwire interface.
Reset all radio settigs to std and recalibrate esc.
take it from there.
98% of hassles has been with incorrect settings or user error.
Old 07-24-2009, 08:56 AM   #5126
Tech Regular

Default Become a little disalusioned with the Tekin RS

I have 2 RS Escs just loaded the latest software available and not so impressed. If i was honest car handling was better with the 189 setting . A number of cars were been blown away by the LRP SPX in stock 10.5 1/12th carpet racing.
Seriously thinking of purchasing an LRP SPX unless i can get this set to my satisfaction maybe the never ending upgrades will fix the problem roll on profile 200 if it ever hits the street.
This will be my last attempt to get what i want before i decide to part company with the RS . Hope it is solved as i really like the TEKIN products but it seems we are been used as trial bunnies . There have been so many upgrades (some of them duff releases) im a little bit dissalusioned.

RANDY are you listening can you solve my problems.
tellan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 09:01 AM   #5127
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by tellan View Post
I have 2 RS Escs just loaded the latest software available and not so impressed. If i was honest car handling was better with the 189 setting . A number of cars were been blown away by the LRP SPX in stock 10.5 1/12th carpet racing.
Seriously thinking of purchasing an LRP SPX unless i can get this set to my satisfaction maybe the never ending upgrades will fix the problem roll on profile 200 if it ever hits the street.
This will be my last attempt to get what i want before i decide to part company with the RS . Hope it is solved as i really like the TEKIN products but it seems we are been used as trial bunnies . There have been so many upgrades (some of them duff releases) im a little bit dissalusioned.

Post your setup and teh guys will respond with advice of where you could be wrong.
No way the RS cannot give you the performance you need.
Old 07-24-2009, 09:02 AM   #5128
Tech Champion

Twelvegauge- I am keeping up with Novak 13.5's at my local club with my RS Pro and Redline 13.5, i've been 2/10ths quicker on my fastest lap than them with V189 software.

Stick with it, we are always here to discuss things with you.

The wife stops me being sane and the r/c stops me from going insane....
tc3team is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 09:14 AM   #5129
Tech Elite

Heretic,

just a quick answer before the people from tekin chime in.

"Timing boost" is similar to what you used to adjust on brushed motors only done by electronic means rather than mechanically changing the position of the poles in the magnetic field (which is what you do when you turn the endbell around). Changing the position of a pole in the magnetic field means that the magnetic force that spins the rotor of your motor is going to come into action sooner (when you advance timing) or later when you retard it. There is more to it, but basically this is what happens.

The reason it is called timing boost is because theoretically it can give you more timing than it is available on your motor (physically). As it has been discussed here, going over 30degrees total timing (mechanical plus boost from hotwire plus the advance in motor sensor reading-this is inherent to sensor construction and I understand it is around 15 degrees) may actually hurt performance rather than help.
Hope this helps.

The best upgrade to any car is some driver skill.
niznai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 09:15 AM   #5130
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by tellan View Post

I just bought the rs I hope I didn't make a foolish purches quotes like these scare me. I had the novak gtb spectrum and could keep up with the guys that had the tekin, I will see tommarow at the races if I figure it out.
I still have not been informed where to get v189???????