R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-23-2009, 10:06 AM   #5071
Tech Master
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Fontana,CA
Posts: 1,005
Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)
Default Sensor Wires

The sensor wire that came with my RS/17.5 combo is about 10 inches long. Is there one available that is shorter and are all company sensor wires the same?
svines1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 10:06 AM   #5072
Tech Elite
 
razzor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Durban, South Africa
Posts: 2,810
Default

essentially lower boost or timing will give more punch for a short tight track.
increased boost or timing gives added mid to top speed for medium to large tracks and the Turbo gives more speed on longer straights.
__________________
Casterracing ZX1.5R
casterracing EX-1 Pro, SP Silver Arrow
TOP Racing Scythe, SP 17.5, SP GT Pro 2.0
TOP Racing Scythe, SP 4.5 V2, Hobbywing Xerun 120SD 2.0
TOP Racing Scythe, SP 13.5, Hobbywing Xerun 120SD 2.0
razzor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 10:19 AM   #5073
Tech Champion
 
Krio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: At dirt tracks in Michigan!
Posts: 5,103
Trader Rating: 150 (99%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by niznai View Post
Thank you Krio, that's the kind of thing I was after.

If what you said is true, then the turbo function of the RS is similar indeed to that of the brushed speedos of the past (as I have mentioned above)

One question remains then. Is the turbo going to override the current limiter settings?
Are you talking about the "turbo start" on the qc2 and 3 where you hold full brake for 3 seconds before the start tone and then the instant any throttle is applied the fets go straight to full on?

Turbo does not override the current limiter; it just changes the timing in the motor. e.g. if you have the current limiter set (lets say it cuts you off at 20 amperes) and when turbo kicks in the timing advances and more current will be pulled. Say you were pulling 10 amps and then the advance timing is trying to pull 23 the instant it kicks in: the limiter will still apply and the second gear "kick" will be softer, but you will still have the same top end.
__________________
www.kriostasis.com
Krio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 10:24 AM   #5074
Tech Master
 
hound_dogs_01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 1,091
Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)
Default

track pics - http://track.nexusracing.com/pictures. not the exact track but very close....

carpet

t2'008 Rubber

rs pro

novak 21.5

SMC 4500/28C lipo


V198 sensored only. timing boost - 15, drag brake - 20, 6.5V cut off, throttle profile 3, neutral width - min, push control - off, brake - 100, rvs - 70, current limit - off...


What does the current limit do?

Alex
hound_dogs_01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 10:25 AM   #5075
Tech Champion
 
Krio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: At dirt tracks in Michigan!
Posts: 5,103
Trader Rating: 150 (99%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by svines1972 View Post
The sensor wire that came with my RS/17.5 combo is about 10 inches long. Is there one available that is shorter and are all company sensor wires the same?
Several companies offer varying lengths and they are all compatible.

http://www.stormerhobbies.com/cgi-bi...umb=on&smode=0
__________________
www.kriostasis.com
Krio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 10:29 AM   #5076
Tech Master
 
hound_dogs_01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 1,091
Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)
Default

i would go with the TQ sensor wire.....they make them in any size length and are extremely flexible


Alex
hound_dogs_01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 10:35 AM   #5077
Tech Champion
 
Krio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: At dirt tracks in Michigan!
Posts: 5,103
Trader Rating: 150 (99%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hound_dogs_01 View Post

What does the current limit do?

Alex

Current limit does just what it sounds like. It limits the current going to the motor and is usually used with mod motors or slick tracks. It helps the car start smoothly and limits wheel spin.
__________________
www.kriostasis.com
Krio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 10:42 AM   #5078
Tech Elite
 
niznai's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: All over the place
Posts: 2,940
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krio View Post
Are you talking about the "turbo start" on the qc2 and 3 where you hold full brake for 3 seconds before the start tone and then the instant any throttle is applied the fets go straight to full on?

Turbo does not override the current limiter; it just changes the timing in the motor. e.g. if you have the current limiter set (lets say it cuts you off at 20 amperes) and when turbo kicks in the timing advances and more current will be pulled. Say you were pulling 10 amps and then the advance timing is trying to pull 23 the instant it kicks in: the limiter will still apply and the second gear "kick" will be softer, but you will still have the same top end.
Thank you very much krio. How do you know all this stuff? Yes, that was the function. You cleared now my confusion. Yes, I do understand now there is some difference to the old speedo turbo function (in brushed).

To conclude, I was not concerned about termalling, just wandered if the settings wouldn't fight/affect each other somewhat. I find it much more useful to understand how things work when trying to reason what settings I should use rather than just take it for granted and follow meaningless lists of other people's settings (meaningless because they may or may not apply to my conditions-track, etc, not because they don't make sense).

Quote:
Originally Posted by hound_dogs_01 View Post
track pics - http://track.nexusracing.com/pictures. not the exact track but very close....

carpet

t2'008 Rubber

rs pro

novak 21.5

SMC 4500/28C lipo


V198 sensored only. timing boost - 15, drag brake - 20, 6.5V cut off, throttle profile 3, neutral width - min, push control - off, brake - 100, rvs - 70, current limit - off...


What does the current limit do?

Alex
Thank you Alex. Can you tell us what was the final drive ratio as well?

As far as I figured it out the current limiter does exactly that i.e. does not allow the motor to draw more current than the set value even the motor would like to. The reason to use it might be two fold. One is that it might control wheelspin (the motor can not accelerate as hard) and the second is to protect the motor in case there is some other problem that would labour the motor making it draw too much current.

PS Dang! Someone beat me again. You can tell we live too effing far away from everywhere.
__________________
Team Greasy Weasel

The best upgrade to any car is some driver skill.
niznai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 11:01 AM   #5079
Tech Elite
 
Senna Racing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Sydney
Posts: 2,035
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by razzor View Post
essentially lower boost or timing will give more punch for a short tight track.
increased boost or timing gives added mid to top speed for medium to large tracks and the Turbo gives more speed on longer straights.


thank you
__________________
Feral Batteries for all your on road needs
TRF 416, Fantom Batteries, Sorex, Tekin
Senna Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 11:08 AM   #5080
Tech Master
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Helmond
Posts: 1,544
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senna Racing View Post
HA guys tomorrow im going to a short track to run at another club that i dont normally run at with about 20m straight should i drop my boost

Monday i ran it for the first time and had the boost on 20 and have been advised to drop it to 18

do i drop it again for shorter tracks

thanks in advance
What motor do you use?
Best is to set the motor to 0 and the boost to 30.
Gear it light. You will have enough punch for the infield.
When your motor has a timing of 12. Set your Boost to 18.

When you go to a lower boost, you can gear your motor a bit heavier.

Personally do I like the setting of motor 0 boost 30 more. And gear light.
__________________
http://www.mikky32.com
Tekin RS pro
TOP racing Photon
Tekin Redline 10,5
Protoform LTC-R
mikky32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 11:22 AM   #5081
Tech Elite
 
Senna Racing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Sydney
Posts: 2,035
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikky32 View Post
What motor do you use?
Best is to set the motor to 0 and the boost to 30.
Gear it light. You will have enough punch for the infield.
When your motor has a timing of 12. Set your Boost to 18.

When you go to a lower boost, you can gear your motor a bit heavier.

Personally do I like the setting of motor 0 boost 30 more. And gear light.
i run lrp so the timing is set to 12
but i dont know how to change it
plus last time i ran it was only getting to 45c but when i geared up it seemed to slow
__________________
Feral Batteries for all your on road needs
TRF 416, Fantom Batteries, Sorex, Tekin
Senna Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 11:27 AM   #5082
Tech Master
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Helmond
Posts: 1,544
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hound_dogs_01 View Post
track pics - http://track.nexusracing.com/pictures. not the exact track but very close....

carpet

t2'008 Rubber

rs pro

novak 21.5

SMC 4500/28C lipo


V198 sensored only. timing boost - 15, drag brake - 20, 6.5V cut off, throttle profile 3, neutral width - min, push control - off, brake - 100, rvs - 70, current limit - off...


What does the current limit do?

Alex
When you win a lot at the infield. Gear a tooth heavier. Your top speed will go higher.
do this only as you have enough infield speed.

What is the Timing on the Novak Motor?
Was that 25?
If so set the boost to 10.
Throttle profile 5 will give you more acceleration in the beginning but when I see the track, keep it on 3.
I drive always 5.
Also here with a 10,5T Lipo.
http://users.telenet.be/RC-Club-Nuclea/Info/Info.html
After each race we have an other layout.
It's a narrow track with a lot of traction. so much that almost every body has grip roll.
this is a short movie of the mod class.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i66veYtUtNc
__________________
http://www.mikky32.com
Tekin RS pro
TOP racing Photon
Tekin Redline 10,5
Protoform LTC-R
mikky32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 11:36 AM   #5083
Tech Master
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Helmond
Posts: 1,544
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senna Racing View Post
i run lrp so the timing is set to 12
but i dont know how to change it
plus last time i ran it was only getting to 45c but when i geared up it seemed to slow
don't go higher than 18 boost on a smaller track.
I ran the LRP with the 189 with a boost of 13 to 18.
When you go to a bigger track you can use 23 boost. I did this only on bigger tracks. On a small or a medium track you don't have advantage of the higher boost.

you can only change the timing on the motor up.
It's better to keep it on 12. don't set it higher.
__________________
http://www.mikky32.com
Tekin RS pro
TOP racing Photon
Tekin Redline 10,5
Protoform LTC-R
mikky32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 11:51 AM   #5084
Tech Master
 
hound_dogs_01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 1,091
Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by niznai View Post
Thank you very much krio. How do you know all this stuff? Yes, that was the function. You cleared now my confusion. Yes, I do understand now there is some difference to the old speedo turbo function (in brushed).

To conclude, I was not concerned about termalling, just wandered if the settings wouldn't fight/affect each other somewhat. I find it much more useful to understand how things work when trying to reason what settings I should use rather than just take it for granted and follow meaningless lists of other people's settings (meaningless because they may or may not apply to my conditions-track, etc, not because they don't make sense).



Thank you Alex. Can you tell us what was the final drive ratio as well?

As far as I figured it out the current limiter does exactly that i.e. does not allow the motor to draw more current than the set value even the motor would like to. The reason to use it might be two fold. One is that it might control wheelspin (the motor can not accelerate as hard) and the second is to protect the motor in case there is some other problem that would labour the motor making it draw too much current.

PS Dang! Someone beat me again. You can tell we live too effing far away from everywhere.

sorry final drive ratio is 4.20952 basically 4.21... guy with the TC spec was running same FDR as me and was like What THE F_ _K how did you just do that... lol

and that was boost at 15 LMAO i will set it to max for next wednesday night and show him what Tekins all about...

Alex
hound_dogs_01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 12:07 PM   #5085
Tech Master
 
hound_dogs_01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 1,091
Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikky32 View Post
When you win a lot at the infield. Gear a tooth heavier. Your top speed will go higher.
do this only as you have enough infield speed.

What is the Timing on the Novak Motor?
Was that 25?
If so set the boost to 10.
Throttle profile 5 will give you more acceleration in the beginning but when I see the track, keep it on 3.
I drive always 5.
Also here with a 10,5T Lipo.
http://users.telenet.be/RC-Club-Nuclea/Info/Info.html
After each race we have an other layout.
It's a narrow track with a lot of traction. so much that almost every body has grip roll.
this is a short movie of the mod class.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i66veYtUtNc

timing on the novak I have no clue mabe someone will chime in and tell us...

was what 25?

Alex
hound_dogs_01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Tekin Redline RS Sensored ESC and motors, opinions for offroad? Cain Electric Off-Road 4230 06-07-2015 04:38 PM
Sensored vs. Sensorless lemansracer Electric On-Road 71 02-14-2009 03:19 AM
New Tekin Redline Sensored Motors are Roar Legal! Randy_Pike Electric On-Road 3 08-05-2008 02:08 AM
Tekin Redline Sensored 10.5 HUCKMAN Electric On-Road 6 07-15-2008 08:50 PM
sensored vs sensorless bprocket Rookie Zone 5 05-16-2008 09:38 AM


Tags
v203, vegas 2.0


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 11:13 AM.


We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net