Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Tekin RS ESC sensored

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2009, 01:50 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Maybe I'm a little different I don't want a ton of brake strength. I want just enough to get the car slowed down to make a corner(That's if I need to use the brake at all.) I also have no ability to feather the brake at all so it's either off or on. On my WGT I'm running 100% brake strength with 40 drag brake and then the brake turned down to 60 on the radio. This seems to give me plenty of brake without get the car sideways if I have to lock it up. As for punch this ESC has plenty as well. I've actually programmed some throttle delay.
Old 06-22-2009, 01:51 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by JuaniKoKo
I drive Tekin RS Pro + Tekin 10,5 combo and I don't have problems with brake. In the last race I used 80% brake. I have more break with Tekin than with LRP speedos.

Tekin is working great but.... Here in Spain, tracks are large and I need more top speed. Hope to have turbo option for the 1st week of July because LRP SPX stock is beating Tekin drivers.
Don't worry. The Turbo will give you enough power on the straight.
Also you can gear lighter than what you do now and you get even more infield speed.
It's incredible.

Do you drive 5 cell in Spain?

I used the Tekin RS Pro with the Tekin Redline motor.
Geared lighter than all the other drivers.
I drive 5 cell 10,5T. I was geared as the 10,5T Lipo class and i hath a lot of power. THe other drivers used a FDR of 5 or even lower. my FDR was 6.
It felt that i was still to heavy geared.
My top speed was the highest and i hath a great infield speed.

In a couple of days I try it again with an other motor and Boost setting.
12 on the motor and 18 on the Boost.
This must give me some more speed.
Also I try some lighter gearing. I'm thinking 6,2 to 6,3FDR or even lighter.
The Tekin Redline motors love rpm and not a little bit more than the other motors but a lot more.
Old 06-22-2009, 01:52 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by or8ital
Not sure what type of car you are running and this is just a thought but is it possible that the punch is too agressive and you are spinning the tires and not getting traction? Which might make it seem like you don't have punch?
This was exactly the problem I had and this was fixed by putting some delay in the throttle.
Old 06-22-2009, 01:58 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by mkdut
Maybe I'm a little different I don't want a ton of brake strength. I want just enough to get the car slowed down to make a corner(That's if I need to use the brake at all.) I also have no ability to feather the brake at all so it's either off or on. On my WGT I'm running 100% brake strength with 40 drag brake and then the brake turned down to 60 on the radio. This seems to give me plenty of brake without get the car sideways if I have to lock it up. As for punch this ESC has plenty as well. I've actually programmed some throttle delay.
Strange way to adjust your brake. Why not 100% on your radio and about 50 to 60 on your speedo?
Also a lot of drag brake. I used 20 last race and i'm going to put it back to 0.
Than the fast corners you can go of your throttle and don't lose to much speed.
In the slower corners i brake a bit. Not on my home track but on small indoor track were I drive when it rains and in the winter.
I drive a TC 4wd and not a direct drive.
Old 06-22-2009, 02:17 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by mikky32
Strange way to adjust your brake. Why not 100% on your radio and about 50 to 60 on your speedo?
Also a lot of drag brake. I used 20 last race and i'm going to put it back to 0.
Than the fast corners you can go of your throttle and don't lose to much speed.
In the slower corners i brake a bit. Not on my home track but on small indoor track were I drive when it rains and in the winter.
I drive a TC 4wd and not a direct drive.
For some reason I have always adjusted the brake via the radio. I guess it's an old habit. I will have to try out using the ESC and see if I can get it to my liking. 40 on the drag brake did seem to be too much. If we were not rained out yesterday I probably would have adjusted it lower. Also running 1/12th scale I really could not feel the drag brake until I got to 40 but this was also running the 189 software. I will find out Wednesday if it's different with the current version.
Old 06-22-2009, 02:21 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by or8ital
Not sure what type of car you are running and this is just a thought but is it possible that the punch is too agressive and you are spinning the tires and not getting traction? Which might make it seem like you don't have punch?
I'm running a 4wd sedan. If that were the case, I'd lose traction mid-corner upon application of throttle but that does not happen. It's hard to describe, but I've tested a LRP with the same car, same tires, same motor, same gearing and the throttle has a more direct feeling as well as more low end punch. I find that the throttle feel is more linear and less exponential compared to the Tekin. The Tekin feels soft around 0-35% of throttle travel, so I find myself staying at the 40 to 100% of the throttle most of the time (while dropping down to 0 or -100% to slow down and brake), whereas for the LRP the powerband is more usable from 0 to 100% throttle. I've spent a lot of time adjusting the Tekin but I haven't been able to figure out how to get it to have that linear feel/powerband.
Old 06-22-2009, 02:21 PM
Tech Rookie

In Spain we run with 2S Lipos+10,5 en Stock class. I've tested 20-30 boost with 4-12 motor timing and 5.3 to 5.5 ratio and the motor finish after 5minuts at 70-80Cº. I will try 15 boost and 15 motor timing with 5.8 ratio for this track: htt p://img5.imageshack.us/img5/477/dsc00233w.jpg ( This is the largest track we run with TC )

What throttle profile are you using mikky32?
Old 06-22-2009, 02:32 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Potato
I'm struggling with the same braking problems mentioned earlier. I'm using a 13.5 and 198 software (also tried 194). Even with the brakes turned to 100%, radio properly calibrated (LEDs flash at full throttle and full brake), the braking is way too weak. It almost seems like the brakes work okay at low speed, but from a high speed they are very weak.

Also - I've had this problem for a while - the ESC seems to lack punch and is very soft from the first 30-50% of the throttle travel. I've already set it to profile 5 (most aggressive) and even adjusted throttle curve on the transmitter, but it still doesn't have the direct feel of some other ESCs I've used. Newest version of the firmware doesn't seem to help.
i am experiencing the same brake problem.
at slow speeds and on the car stand its working fine but at speed it just wont slow down fast enough. I thought the wheels where locking up and reduced the brake strength but no difference.
I have to brake or start braking 5 meters before the hairpin on the back straight compared to other guys braking 2 meters or so before the hairpin.
For the time being i am adapting and driving around the problem.

Have contacted Randy and im sure they will have an idea of what is the hassle be it esc or on my radio etc..
Old 06-22-2009, 02:42 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by JuaniKoKo
In Spain we run with 2S Lipos+10,5 en Stock class. I've tested 20-30 boost with 4-12 motor timing and 5.3 to 5.5 ratio and the motor finish after 5minuts at 70-80Cº. I will try 15 boost and 15 motor timing with 5.8 ratio for this track: htt p://img5.imageshack.us/img5/477/dsc00233w.jpg ( This is the largest track we run with TC )

What throttle profile are you using mikky32?
I drove boost max and 4 on the motor. But i changed back to 0 on the motor.
I try 12 on the motor and 18 on the boost in a couple of days.
I use throttle profile 5.

Nice track. With the Turbo you will be a lot faster there.
Than you can go to 5,8 or even lighter.
For now keep about a total timing of max 50.
when you go max 45 timing in total you can gear a bit heavier.
Old 06-22-2009, 02:51 PM
Tech Rookie

I drove boost max and 4 on the motor. But i changed back to 0 on the motor.
I try 12 on the motor and 18 on the boost in a couple of days.
I use throttle profile 5.

Nice track. With the Turbo you will be a lot faster there.
Than you can go to 5,8 or even lighter.
For now keep about a total timing of max 50.
when you go max 45 timing in total you can gear a bit heavier.
Thanks for the info Mikky!! I'll try this set up while we wait for the turbo
Old 06-22-2009, 03:20 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Noob question here guys, how do you know when a motors gone.
What are the signs.
Old 06-22-2009, 03:32 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

Originally Posted by mkdut
Perfect! You need almost no brakes in the WGT. Even when I was running a Sphere I could not get the car stopped on the incline at FW.
Yeah... and my car is even a bit slower due to only running a 1s, I can almost go full out around the entire track.
Old 06-22-2009, 03:44 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Potato
I'm running a 4wd sedan. If that were the case, I'd lose traction mid-corner upon application of throttle but that does not happen. It's hard to describe, but I've tested a LRP with the same car, same tires, same motor, same gearing and the throttle has a more direct feeling as well as more low end punch. I find that the throttle feel is more linear and less exponential compared to the Tekin. The Tekin feels soft around 0-35% of throttle travel, so I find myself staying at the 40 to 100% of the throttle most of the time (while dropping down to 0 or -100% to slow down and brake), whereas for the LRP the powerband is more usable from 0 to 100% throttle. I've spent a lot of time adjusting the Tekin but I haven't been able to figure out how to get it to have that linear feel/powerband.
Potato - I'm with you 100%. I find the first 0-35% throttle pull to be pretty soft as well - especially for spec type motors. I did find a very good solution via the transmitter. I use a 4PK and I programmed the throttle curve with the VTR feature - I think is stands for variable trace...something. It's similar to throttle expo - but It feels more linear. Basically, it maps the throttle profile to follow two linear curves. I have the crossover point set as low as possible (I think 20% of throttle pull) and then set a + expo number (mine is somewher around 20-30%). It's almost like having an infinitely variable minimum drive value.
Old 06-22-2009, 03:53 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by razzor
i am experiencing the same brake problem.
at slow speeds and on the car stand its working fine but at speed it just wont slow down fast enough. I thought the wheels where locking up and reduced the brake strength but no difference.
I have to brake or start braking 5 meters before the hairpin on the back straight compared to other guys braking 2 meters or so before the hairpin.
For the time being i am adapting and driving around the problem.

Have contacted Randy and im sure they will have an idea of what is the hassle be it esc or on my radio etc..
Hi Razzor i have been having the same problem with the brakes every thing set ok but have to hold on to the brakes for at least 8 m before turn in at top speed tried 4 motors still the same i have a 4pk what radio you running.i have gone software 189-198 still no change.

regards clinton
Old 06-22-2009, 04:25 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I drive the 10,5T class and i used the last race y brakes. It was the first head on 100%. I stopped as fasted as the other speedo's.
The last head i used 70% brake. And i found it still to much braking power.
Normally i don't use my brakes.
In the winter i drive 10,5T Lipo on a small track. My brakes work there great.
Don't see a problem with the brakes.
I can tell you that i drive A main at the small indoor track with my 10,5T Lipo so it is possible to drive with the Tekin RS Pro with a 10,5T.

My stopping distance was the same as the other speedo's.
Did you use the 198?
(1) This response seems to be a reasonable example of someone who indicates that they have brakes with the TEKIN RS PRO. However, as the author indicates it is on a small track.

(2) I dont think there is any argument that the TEKIN RS PRO works at SLOWER speeds (small tracks, or whatever). As mentioned in my original post, the car brakes ok at about 60% of race speed. So lets NOT debate that the RS PRO brakes at slower speeds.

(3) The problem is HIGH speed braking, which is obviously more noticeable on large flowing tracks. Using the TEKIN 10.5 with boost, the car is almost as fast as the modified guys, but the FDR is quite different. I can assure everyone that the car just rolls, the wheels are not even remotely close to locking up. Other TEKIN RS PRO drivers at my track, and on this forum, report the same braking issue under similar racing conditions.

(4) Hopefully it can be fixed in firmware, and does not require a hardware modification.

Cheers

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.