R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 06-13-2008, 06:41 AM   #391
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas P View Post
It seems that this ESC is real good..have 4 TC ESC from LRP, and 2 of them have been in real trouble (RMA) warranty job.

Havnt read the hole thread, but any link to where i can buy it? the BL Sensor speedo, think it will be ace in my 4wd buggy and TC

any links would be great, i think it is time to move on should i give it a try?

Best regards Thomas

http://www.axiommotors.com/electroni...-c-77_125.html

http://www.stormerhobbies.com/cgi-bi...umb=on&smode=0

I got mine at my local hobby shop.
Old 06-13-2008, 09:08 PM   #392
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)
Default Help!

OK you Tekin guys I have a problem.
Going to run asphalt mod TC tomorrow so I thought it would be a good time to try out my new RS Pro.
Problem is I cant get it setup Set up a new profile on my radio with the instructed settings, turn on radio, turn on ESC, hold down MODE button for 3 seconds and release... wait for chime... after chime I go to full throttle and wait for chime..... but no chime no matter how long I wait
Any ideas on what I might be doing wrong? Or do I have to go back to my old faithful Novak?
ottoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 09:15 PM   #393
Tech Elite

Default Help!

Old 06-13-2008, 09:15 PM   #394
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to PitNamedGordie Send a message via Yahoo to PitNamedGordie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ottoman View Post
OK you Tekin guys I have a problem.
Going to run asphalt mod TC tomorrow so I thought it would be a good time to try out my new RS Pro.
Problem is I cant get it setup Set up a new profile on my radio with the instructed settings, turn on radio, turn on ESC, hold down MODE button for 3 seconds and release... wait for chime... after chime I go to full throttle and wait for chime..... but no chime no matter how long I wait
Any ideas on what I might be doing wrong? Or do I have to go back to my old faithful Novak?
I'm not in front of my RS right now but try this...Don't wait for the first chime. After holding it down for 3 seconds do you hear anything? ...a beep? if you do go to full throttle then wait for the chime, etc, etc. It's been few weeks since I set mine up. Give that a try.
Old 06-13-2008, 09:18 PM   #395
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

What radio are you using? I have a Futaba 3PK and need to reverse the throttle channel in order to work with the RS, FX or any Tekin ESC. It does exactly what you describe while in normal mode.
AreCee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 09:21 PM   #396
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by AreCee View Post
What radio are you using? I have a Futaba 3PK and need to reverse the throttle channel in order to work with the RS, FX or any Tekin ESC. It does exactly what you describe while in normal mode.
Futaba 3PK... maybe thats it... the instructions said to set the throttle direction to "normal"
I will give that a try
Old 06-13-2008, 09:22 PM   #397
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to PitNamedGordie Send a message via Yahoo to PitNamedGordie

Quote:
Originally Posted by AreCee View Post
Ahhh that's right! I had to revere mine too. I have a DX3R.
Old 06-13-2008, 09:47 PM   #398
Tech Elite

Ok Reversed throttle but same thing... one chime after finds nuetral and then I hit full throttle and wait.. and wait.. and wait but no chime

Man... I never had much luck with Tekin and its not starting out very good
I never had a issue with my Novak or Speed Passion ESC's
Are Tekins really fussy on set up?

Oh.. as I said Futaba 3PK with a fast system

Any other ideas?
Old 06-13-2008, 10:12 PM   #399
Tech Champion

Make sure you have a fully charged battery. I had a similar issue, I was trying to do the setup with a partially charged battery figuring it would be enough charge to run the setup but it wasn't. Also on my 3PJS my throttle ATV can go past 100% to 120% so I set mine up at 120%. I would guess the PK would have a similar throttle ATV.
InspGadgt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 11:49 PM   #400
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Brian McGreevy Send a message via Yahoo to Brian McGreevy

Jim,

Make sure you don't have any creep put into the radio at all. Second, after you hold the mode button for 3 seconds you should hear beeping, at that point hold full throttle, then it'll chime, then hold full brake, it'll beep a few times and then chime, then go to neutral. I don't know what the issue is if you're following that, as I know others with Futaba systems are having success.
USVTA Member #211

Support Formula SAE - get kids into engineering!
http://motorsports.illinois.edu/
Brian McGreevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 11:53 PM   #401
Tech Elite

OK... I tried all sorts of things and all your suggestions with no luck
So out came the RS and in went the Speed Passion... sigh
I guess I will put it back in the car and call Tekin next week. Maybe they can talk me through the setup or trouble shoot it over the phone.
Not impressed so far.
Old 06-13-2008, 11:59 PM   #402
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian McGreevy View Post
Jim,

Make sure you don't have any creep put into the radio at all. Second, after you hold the mode button for 3 seconds you should hear beeping, at that point hold full throttle, then it'll chime, then hold full brake, it'll beep a few times and then chime, then go to neutral. I don't know what the issue is if you're following that, as I know others with Futaba systems are having success.
Thanks Brian.... but were racing in the morning and I just ran out of time to mess with it. Maybe I will try it again on Sunday.
Old 06-14-2008, 12:07 AM   #403
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Ottoman- Try hooking up your Novak but use the EXACT same pack that you have been trying to get the RS to calibrate with. Again use the EXACT same pack. See if the Novak calibrates. On our forum one racer was having the exact same problem you are and when he couldn't get the RS to calibrate he put in his LRP thinking that it was a problem with the RS. When his LRP didn't calibrate then he knew something else was wrong. It turned out to be that he had a couple of bad cells in his pack that were dumping so fast that neither esc could set up. You posted pretty fast after Brian suggested using a different battery so you may not have tried that yet.

Also, Randy had suggested to the one guy to do a factory reset of the esc which I think may be in the manual, try that if your Novak sets with the EXACT same battery as you were using (no cheating and adding charge first, LOL!). Let us know how things turn out. If the Novak works using the EXACT (LOL) same battery but when you quickly switch it to the RS it still doesn't work and the factory reset doesn't work then I am confident that Tekin will get it taken care of for you with no hassles.

Also from Jim on our thread regarding this issue:
"Also easy to get tricked by a spectrum reciever when the radio is not talking to the receiver. It will give us a default nuetral that we accept. It continues to give us a neutral when you pull throttle and they are not communicating. We would flash all if there was no signal. As long as there is a signal we continue to chime, but do not accept it unless it is within the range we expect.

If the esc battery is low enough the chime can actually pull it really low and drop out receiver before we get enough clean signal to accept it. It is a very short motor drive pulse, but typically it will not accept nuetral either in this case.
"
Old 06-14-2008, 12:23 AM   #404
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by darnold View Post
Ottoman- Try hooking up your Novak but use the EXACT same pack that you have been trying to get the RS to calibrate with. Again use the EXACT same pack. See if the Novak calibrates. On our forum one racer was having the exact same problem you are and when he couldn't get the RS to calibrate he put in his LRP thinking that it was a problem with the RS. When his LRP didn't calibrate then he knew something else was wrong. It turned out to be that he had a couple of bad cells in his pack that were dumping so fast that neither esc could set up. You posted pretty fast after Brian suggested using a different battery so you may not have tried that yet.

Also, Randy had suggested to the one guy to do a factory reset of the esc which I think may be in the manual, try that if your Novak sets with the EXACT same battery as you were using (no cheating and adding charge first, LOL!). Let us know how things turn out. If the Novak works using the EXACT (LOL) same battery but when you quickly switch it to the RS it still doesn't work and the factory reset doesn't work then I am confident that Tekin will get it taken care of for you with no hassles.

Also from Jim on our thread regarding this issue:
"Also easy to get tricked by a spectrum reciever when the radio is not talking to the receiver. It will give us a default nuetral that we accept. It continues to give us a neutral when you pull throttle and they are not communicating. We would flash all if there was no signal. As long as there is a signal we continue to chime, but do not accept it unless it is within the range we expect.

If the esc battery is low enough the chime can actually pull it really low and drop out receiver before we get enough clean signal to accept it. It is a very short motor drive pulse, but typically it will not accept nuetral either in this case.
"
Thanks Dave... I tried the reset thing, thats if I read the instructions right

I was using a charged LiPo and I even went as far as trying it with my second charged LiPo... no luck

The Speed Passion set up fine.

I am sure we will get it up and working... eventually
I was just a little annoyed being the night before a race and having issues... hope I didnt sound too negative but as you know I have been racing a long time and this is the first time I have had a ESC setup issue.. kinda caught me be surprise
Old 06-14-2008, 04:46 AM   #405
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Horizon was out of stock , so i have to wait until they get more, my hotwire came in though so i can pretend hahaha.

Anyone know when the next batch is going out to horizon?