R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 05-27-2009, 09:43 PM   #3991
Super Moderator

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

Without the friction of brushes being squeezed against a comm... what in a brushless motor makes so much heat? You would think they would generate siginifigantly LESS heat than a brushed motor.
- RCSpecialties -
Cpt.America is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 09:47 PM   #3992
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamTekin View Post
No worries on the green box. A small oversight on our part in the Hotwire leaving some of the new stuff in it for the current driver beta test software. We are looking for a value that is not there in 198 and older. It is letting you know you do not have the newest software... but the newest software is not there to update to. It is not hurting anything but is confusing. We will likely replace the current version on the web without changing rev. Come download it again next week and the green box will be gone.

Congrats to all at the Reedy. Tekin had a great showing and the turbo software is looking good.

PS those that snuck a copy of 199 will not see a green box on the 3-25 hotwire

YO Cuffs I have something new for you to check out tommorrow

Tekin Prez

It was a ton of fun. I got so excited that I threw on a silly mullet wig Had a blast and really wished that Randy could have run his rcgt car. He was busy dialing in all the Tekin users though. Thanks for a great product. Yes I said it.....GREAT
STLNLST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 09:50 PM   #3993
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 88 (99%+)

Quote:
No worries on the green box. A small oversight on our part in the Hotwire leaving some of the new stuff in it for the current driver beta test software. We are looking for a value that is not there in 198 and older. It is letting you know you do not have the newest software... but the newest software is not there to update to. It is not hurting anything but is confusing. We will likely replace the current version on the web without changing rev. Come download it again next week and the green box will be gone.

Congrats to all at the Reedy. Tekin had a great showing and the turbo software is looking good.

Tekin Prez

Ok thanks for clearing that up. I was waiting to upgrade untill I knew if that was an issue. I have the early version of 198 where the 1s box will not stay checked, is the fix for that on the website also?

Thanks

CMDezigns Paint Works
https://www.facebook.com/pages/CM-Dezigns/259989190822177?ref=hl
chris moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 09:58 PM   #3994
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:

Tekin Prez

Sounds good Jim. Looking foward to it.
Old 05-27-2009, 10:29 PM   #3995
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to David Galdo Send a message via AIM to David Galdo Send a message via MSN to David Galdo Send a message via Yahoo to David Galdo

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris moore View Post
Ok thanks for clearing that up. I was waiting to upgrade untill I knew if that was an issue. I have the early version of 198 where the 1s box will not stay checked, is the fix for that on the website also?

Thanks
3.24 has the check box issue, what they have on the site is 3.25 and works great. It has the warning boxes that have peeps confused, but it works fine.
Old 05-27-2009, 10:37 PM   #3996
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Cuffs View Post
Hey guys, i got to run the new software at our Memorial day race last weekend at Jackson NJ Raceway in Touring 13.5 and Wgt 10.5. Ran flawless in both classes giving me a TQ and win in both classes. The new software offers acouple different things. I call it Kers for any of you F1 guys LOL they call it turbo. We are still working on some stuff to make these new tuning options the best possible. I just ask you guys to be patient right now until it gets completed. It not far away. Its worth the wait. The best thing about Tekin is when they release a new software upgrade u dont have to buy a new speedo like the other companies.
F1 joking aside I'm thinking this boost thing is going to have me dropping teeth on my pinion again. I've already dropped 2 teeth from previous versions to 194 and probably should have dropped 3 or 4 but didn't have them at the time. How big of a drop, roughly, would you expect is needed from 194 in 1/12th scale running the Redline 13.5? Going to need to make sure the LHS orders me some smaller pinions.
InspGadgt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 06:29 AM   #3997
Tech Master

I have now the 198. Is the 199 with the turbo?
Tekin Redline 10,5
Protoform LTC-R
mikky32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 09:23 AM   #3998
Super Moderator

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Galdo View Post
3.24 has the check box issue, what they have on the site is 3.25 and works great. It has the warning boxes that have peeps confused, but it works fine.
Well, my boost setting often reads "GO" with the latest broken version... so are we sure it's working? What value is "GO"?
- RCSpecialties -
Cpt.America is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 06:49 PM   #3999
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

i've searched for a consolidated listing of setups to no avail.. can someone tell me if i'm in the ballpark.. running 7.4v lipo, 13.5, high bite medium size track (village raceway, royal palm beach) settings as follows..

db-20
rs-100
bs-100
nw-22
bl-dl
tp-3
vc-2
pc-off
ta-28
cc-off

any suggestions helpful.. just picked up the hotwire tonight and am muddling through it.. thanks

Turns out not where, but who your with that really matters... DMB
tallyrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 07:04 PM   #4000
Tech Master

Looks pretty close, a few variables, what motor and what motor timing.

with a Duo set at 0* motor advance. I would only change the
NW lower closer to 8-10, (preference I like a hair trigger I've run as low as 4)
TA maxed,
then as a precaution RevS off.

LONG LIVE OPEN MODIFIED
miller tyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 07:15 PM   #4001
Tech Elite

it's a novak so i'll just crank it counter clockwise.. TA max? i thought we wanted a total around 45?

Old 05-28-2009, 07:43 PM   #4002
avs
Tech Master

Quote:
No worries on the green box. A small oversight on our part in the Hotwire leaving some of the new stuff in it for the current driver beta test software.
Come download it again next week and the green box will be gone.

Tekin Prez
thanks very much, i pretty much expected this was a nuisance message. (my car was never faster with cooler temps)

looking forward to release 201
avs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 07:50 PM   #4003
avs
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cpt.America View Post
Without the friction of brushes being squeezed against a comm... what in a brushless motor makes so much heat? You would think they would generate siginifigantly LESS heat than a brushed motor.
i am not an electrical engineer, but my understanding is that a lot of the heat generated in an electric motor is from the 'i^2r' losses.
(i is current and r is resistance) this is the loss that toaster ovens use to make heat, in a motor the 'R' is much smaller, and the I is bigger, but in the end there is heat created by 'energy loss'.

all electric machines are thermally limited when you put more load (in our case longer gearing and more timing advance) on it.

you might notice that on a short track you load the motor more out of each corner, compared to a longer track where you run wide open longer. in general you will need to run shorter gearing on the shorter track to get the same motor temp.
avs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 08:00 PM   #4004
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by tallyrc View Post
it's a novak so i'll just crank it counter clockwise.. TA max? i thought we wanted a total around 45?
Correct on TA, my mistake was using TA in post I meant Boost. However even TA maxed is only about 33* and that is total since motor advance is ignored. With the 13.5 it is preferred to run in Sensored only only mode (Boost used) and not Hybrid (TA used).

LONG LIVE OPEN MODIFIED
miller tyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 03:53 PM   #4005
Tech Elite

yea, it's in sensored only, but i'm still confused by all this mixed jargon on timing.. ok new settings

db-20
rs-100
bs-100
nw-8
bl-fw
tp-3
vc-2
pc-off
ta-100 (max)
cc-off