R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 06-10-2008, 01:40 PM   #346
Tech Fanatic

Speaking of trackside adjustments.

I was trying to configure a RS and the instruction manual didn't list all the modes available to for the Reverse lockout/Brushless mode. The racer was tone deaf so..I was the lucky one to have to setup the ESC. Setup was simple, but ESC was left in default mode for everyoption since there was no way of knowing what the options were.

Can a reference chart be made for all the modes that can be manually programed, listing each mode function?
trailranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 02:07 PM   #347
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

Jim, I wrote you an email. Let me know if you need more info.

As for adjustments and the hotwire. If you could adjust timing at the track then I think that would be awesome. I dont mind the idea of hotwire but I think it needs more. I see your point on 1-100 adjustments which is nice but nothing like castle being up to setup a 7 point curve and things like that. Just my $.02. (and $35 for the hotwire )

Last edited by or8ital; 06-10-2008 at 02:37 PM. Reason: spelling
or8ital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 02:32 PM   #348
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by trailranger View Post
Speaking of trackside adjustments.

I was trying to configure a RS and the instruction manual didn't list all the modes available to for the Reverse lockout/Brushless mode. The racer was tone deaf so..I was the lucky one to have to setup the ESC. Setup was simple, but ESC was left in default mode for everyoption since there was no way of knowing what the options were.

Can a reference chart be made for all the modes that can be manually programed, listing each mode function?
I missed those too at first but found them on the back side of the instructions under the motor type.
InspGadgt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 02:33 PM   #349
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamTekin View Post
We could make a handlheld programmer, but it would not give us all the nifty abilities of a software package on a PC. SP allows a few setting on each mode not 1 to 100. It is a limited digit display. The hotwire is sexy, extremely flexible and updateable. We will be adding lots of new features to all the products B1, Fx and minirage that we could not do with a dedicated programmer unless it also updated and was not so digit limited.
How about a Windows Mobile version?
Old 06-10-2008, 02:38 PM   #350
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by InspGadgt View Post
How about a Windows Mobile version?
...or Iphone . Ive never been an apple fanboy but at $200 I think the iphone 3g might be my next mobile device.
Old 06-10-2008, 02:41 PM   #351
Tech Champion

Well I was thinking Windows Mobile mainly because it's still somewhat Windows based.
Old 06-10-2008, 02:49 PM   #352
Tech Champion

Agreed, it would definately be easier. .Net make it really easy to port code to the mobile platform. The UI would need to be worked a lot to get it to fit though.
Old 06-10-2008, 03:12 PM   #353
Team Tekin

Quote:
Originally Posted by or8ital View Post
As for adjustments and the hotwire. If you could adjust timing at the track then I think that would be awesome. I dont mind the idea of hotwire but I think it needs more. I see your point on 1-100 adjustments which is nice but nothing like castle being up to setup a 7 point curve and things like that. Just my $.02. (and $35 for the hotwire )
We ran out of mode leds and would have to give something up or double up to have timing on the unit.

We are adding custom curves as well. The Hotwire will be evolving for some time and adding additional features. One of the advantages that we have due to the overkill micro to drive all the Leds and sensor signals is that we can do about anything and continually improve as we learn. Everything is completely updateable and has few limits.
Tekin Prez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 04:02 PM   #354
Tech Master

Quote:
Jim, I wrote you an email. Let me know if you need more info.

Thing is, when the R1 was first designed, timing wasn't supposed to be adjustable even with the hotwire. It's with testing and because we needed to use the sensored motors that it was decided to have timing adjustable, so it was added to the hotwire. The RS uses the same basic software and so doesn't have timing adjustable on board. Am I right Jim ?
TRF415boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 04:17 PM   #355
Team Tekin

True we started with good engineering and setting the best timing for efficiency and overall performance. Unfortunately technically good engineering is not always the best answer in extreme situations like pushing motors to their limits. We learn as we go in real world situations with our team drivers on our test track. We certainly did not expect the huge range that is being used on some motors to be effective. We still think there may be different paths to the same end. Some motors claim to like lower timing and are performing very well from what we hear. We have the flexibility to find the right combination for all of them.
Tekin Prez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 04:32 PM   #356
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Quote:
...or Iphone . Ive never been an apple fanboy but at $200 I think the iphone 3g might be my next mobile device.
That's actually what sparked my interest in this whole thing. I don't know if the dock connector API is exposed in the iPhone SDK, but some of the guys doing jailbreak have managed to use it as a serial connector I believe. If the Tekin could be manipulated via serial, it could totally work with a dock to whatever adapter. Unfortunately, the iPhone doesn't have a USB BUS, so it can't host USB devices. The fact that Tekin is using the HID driver would probably make it easy to duplicate their software, so anything with a USB BUS would work.

I just talked with one of my iPhone hacker friends, and he said,

Quote:
The dock connector has a serial port on it, but I don't think the API is exposed and I don't think it's RS-232 level compatible, I think it's TTL. They were, but using level converters, I believe. As far as the API, it basically shows up to the kernel as console. So, you might be able to open a connection to the device but I don't think there are SDK level controls for baud and all that. If you are willing to go outside the API you can of course do it.
So, we're probably out of luck with the iPhone, unless someone out there wants to do some serious low level stuff with no promise of it working, and probably a janky adapter. :-(

Also, the 3G version is more expensive over the 2 year life of the contract than the original, because they bumped the price of the data service by $10/month. I love me some Apple, but that sucks. I guess I'll hang on to the busted old EDGE version for now.

I agree, the idea of a handheld programmer is pretty nice.
syndr0me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 04:43 PM   #357
Tech Fanatic

In a few years, ESC's will just be Bluetooth configured by a Java app on a cell phone...
Too simple, hold the connect button on the ESC for 3 seconds...esc enables link.
trailranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 05:14 PM   #358
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by trailranger View Post
In a few years, ESC's will just be Bluetooth configured by a Java app on a cell phone...
Too simple, hold the connect button on the ESC for 3 seconds...esc enables link.
Then you've gotta add a radio to your ESC. :-( Wouldn't it be slick if the receiver that's already in the car could provide a data connection to the ESC, and allow you to configure things wirelessly through your existing system? Make it speak IP and give it an embedded web server so you can configure it from any device with a browser. The 2.4ghz systems could probably do WiFi with some tweaking so you could tell the thing to get online, and then program it. That's how most devices work these days, anyway.
syndr0me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 05:46 PM   #359
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

After the wireless programming you could have on the fly wireless programming during a race and change your profiles whenever or setup some kind of trigger on the track to change the profile just before the straight.
Old 06-10-2008, 06:32 PM   #360
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by syndr0me View Post
Then you've gotta add a radio to your ESC. :-( Wouldn't it be slick if the receiver that's already in the car could provide a data connection to the ESC, and allow you to configure things wirelessly through your existing system? Make it speak IP and give it an embedded web server so you can configure it from any device with a browser. The 2.4ghz systems could probably do WiFi with some tweaking so you could tell the thing to get online, and then program it. That's how most devices work these days, anyway.
Quote:
Originally Posted by KHoff7 View Post
After the wireless programming you could have on the fly wireless programming during a race and change your profiles whenever or setup some kind of trigger on the track to change the profile just before the straight.
Then I'll have my buddy hack into your service and 'Fix' you profile while I roll along to win with an old green resistor block speedo

LONG LIVE OPEN MODIFIED
miller tyme is offline   Reply With Quote