R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 04-26-2009, 08:30 PM   #3466
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 141 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trips View Post
Hacker,

Attach the hotwire to the computer but do NOT plug the speed control in yet. Start the Hotwire program and when the initial screen comes on, click the "Help" button. Let us know what version appears.

1.80, 1.83, 1.89 and 1.94 are versions of the speed control firmware. The number that appears in the "Help" window from the initial screen will tell which version of the Hotwire software is running on your computer.
2.8 haha, that doesnt sound right does it?

I might try randys solution, and yes I am running vista on my laptop.
hacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 08:46 PM   #3467
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hacker View Post
2.8 haha, that doesnt sound right does it?

I might try randys solution, and yes I am running vista on my laptop.
or8ital posted a step by step procedure to get the updates to "take" under Vista... it's RIGHT HERE

Follow that and once you've finished, fire up the Hotwire software (Hotwire plugged in to PC, RS NOT plugged in to Hotwire) and see if the version on the help screen is updated... if you're updating to the 1.89 RS release, your Hotwire version should show as 2.9, if you're updating to the 1.94 RS release, the Hotwire version will show as 2.15.

If the correct version number shows up on the help screen, plug the RS in to the Hotwire, click "Versions" and you'll see the version of the RS firmware (probably will be 1.80 in your case) along with a list of newer firmware versions below it. Choose the version you want (I'd recommend 1.94 if your on Hotwire 2.15) and hit the update button. Make sure not to disturb or unplug the Hotwire or RS until the update is completed.

Once all that's done, you should be good to go...
Old 04-26-2009, 09:44 PM   #3468
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 138 (100%+)

anyone know the repair cost for the RS out of warranty service?
Old 04-26-2009, 09:52 PM   #3469
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 79 (100%+)

There is a minimum charge of $25. The costs go up depending on what needs to be done.

--pakk
Old 04-26-2009, 11:00 PM   #3470
Tech Champion

Finally got to run my RS with 194 under race conditions and it worked pretty well...but I have a couple issues I need to work through. First off is the brakes...I still don't have enough to slow down my car anywhere near like it did with a brushed motor. I've got both my brakes and my drag brake maxed out. I remember earlier someone at Tekin thought it might be the interaction between the RS and my radio since I am running an old Futaba 3PJS radio and that some radio adjustments might help...can someone please refresh me on what to adjust?

The other issue I am having is that it seems to lose it's radio calibration. I've ran it two days now and both days I have had to re-calibrate it to the radio once each day. Should I try re-flashing it?
InspGadgt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 11:06 PM   #3471
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 39 (100%+)

Hi All

Recently raced at the Australian NSW Titles, managed to secure TQ and take the win in 17.5/27t stock ...

The Tekin RS performed absolutely awesome all weekend with the DUO motor. Also set the fastest lap along with my fastest run being 7 sec's ahead of the next.

All i can say is the RS is by far the best esc Ive had in stock.

Last edited by A Ilievski; 04-28-2009 at 02:25 AM.
A Ilievski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 11:14 PM   #3472
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 79 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by InspGadgt View Post
Finally got to run my RS with 194 under race conditions and it worked pretty well...but I have a couple issues I need to work through. First off is the brakes...I still don't have enough to slow down my car anywhere near like it did with a brushed motor. I've got both my brakes and my drag brake maxed out. I remember earlier someone at Tekin thought it might be the interaction between the RS and my radio since I am running an old Futaba 3PJS radio and that some radio adjustments might help...can someone please refresh me on what to adjust?

The other issue I am having is that it seems to lose it's radio calibration. I've ran it two days now and both days I have had to re-calibrate it to the radio once each day. Should I try re-flashing it?
As far as your brakes, the first thing to check is to see if the ESC is getting a full brake signal. Hit full brake and look at the esc lights. All the lights should light up and blink. Do it a few times and make sure it read full brake each time. If not, you are going to have to re initialize again. Which comes to your next issue. If you are finding that you have to re initialize your esc frequently, you are going to want to increase your neutral width. Some radios need larger neutral widths than others. Give that a shot and let us know. I have a feeling increasing your neutral width will solve your issue.

Also, drag brake won't affect your braking power. It is the amount of brake applied during the neutral position. So unless you want full brake applied in the neutral position, turn that down or off.

--pakk
Old 04-27-2009, 12:13 AM   #3473
Tech Master

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Quote:
First off is the brakes...I still don't have enough to slow down my car anywhere near like it did with a brushed motor.
Brushless motors will never have the same drag that brushed motors do, that's the beauty of brushless.
mojoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 03:15 AM   #3474
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by pakk View Post
Also, drag brake won't affect your braking power. It is the amount of brake applied during the neutral position. So unless you want full brake applied in the neutral position, turn that down or off.

--pakk
That's just the thing...I'm not getting as much brakes as I want on neutral. Even on full brakes I'm not getting as much brakes as I want. It seems some of my other drivers running the RS get pretty much lock up at full brakes and I'm no where near that.
Old 04-27-2009, 03:18 AM   #3475
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojoman View Post
Brushless motors will never have the same drag that brushed motors do, that's the beauty of brushless.
I wouldn't necessarily consider that a beauty...something to adjust to and try to work around...but not a beauty.
Old 04-27-2009, 03:21 AM   #3476
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by pakk View Post
If you are finding that you have to re initialize your esc frequently, you are going to want to increase your neutral width. Some radios need larger neutral widths than others.--pakk
That's just the thing...I didn't have any problems with the previous software versions where I had to keep reinitializing....I'll give it a try though.
Old 04-27-2009, 05:36 AM   #3477
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 141 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trips View Post
or8ital posted a step by step procedure to get the updates to "take" under Vista... it's RIGHT HERE

Follow that and once you've finished, fire up the Hotwire software (Hotwire plugged in to PC, RS NOT plugged in to Hotwire) and see if the version on the help screen is updated... if you're updating to the 1.89 RS release, your Hotwire version should show as 2.9, if you're updating to the 1.94 RS release, the Hotwire version will show as 2.15.

If the correct version number shows up on the help screen, plug the RS in to the Hotwire, click "Versions" and you'll see the version of the RS firmware (probably will be 1.80 in your case) along with a list of newer firmware versions below it. Choose the version you want (I'd recommend 1.94 if your on Hotwire 2.15) and hit the update button. Make sure not to disturb or unplug the Hotwire or RS until the update is completed.

Once all that's done, you should be good to go...
thanks, I followed or8ital instructions, and now have hotwire 2.15. Will update the esc tomorrow when I hook it up.
hacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 05:40 AM   #3478
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

Quote:

Do you have TH.EXP set to max, do you have throttle trim set to max?
You can adjust your throttle exp brake curve by increasing towards a positive side----if at zero increase to say 20, this will increase your initial braking affect.

Lastly, when you turn on the radio and then turn on the rs, what lights do you get when system is messing up on you?

You might be having this problem also, at least on my radio.

If you increase drag brake in the RS by a good percentage when you first turn on the RS w/o calibrating again, the lights that come on the RS will be all to one side. For example, if I increase drag brake too much, I have to decrease the drag brake trim in the radio until the lights go out and then you get the single light set in the center of the RS light bar.

hope this helps
idbdoug
idbdoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 12:33 PM   #3479
Tech Champion

EXp is set to max

trim is set to nuetral

crv is set to linear...however that only effects things if you actually hit the brakes...right now I am trying to increase the brakes at neutral to make the car react more like a brushed motor.

I don't recall what lights were on when I had to recalibrate.

The odd thing I just noticed...while I had adjusted my drag brake to max on the ESC...when I went to check it on my Hot Wire last night it was only at 71%.
Old 04-27-2009, 01:03 PM   #3480
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Two times while racing yesterday I had the following issue. It happened with two different cars (sharing the same transmitter, Futaba 3PM 2.4GHz) so I imagine it's the radio's fault.

Powering up right before setting my car on the track I got LEDs 5,6,7, which according to the manual means "radio signal too strong" or something like that.

On one car it healed after rebooting a few times, on the other I had to quickly re-calibrate the ESC to the radio and that fixed it.

What is typically the root cause of this error code?

BTW, got to rock my new Tekin team shirt in the sea of bright red HB shirts.

reenmachine is offline   Reply With Quote