Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred_B View Post
Yup, in private
or8ital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 07:16 PM   #303
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 45 (96%+)
Send a message via AIM to dgullickson Send a message via Yahoo to dgullickson

I will add, these are a hot item!!!!!, we ordered quite a bit and we sold out within a couple days, with only some of the non-Pro's left.

I personally have a Pro in my Mod Truck and a non-Pro in my stock/19t truck and wouldnt run anything else. The power is amazing and so controllable especially if you get the hot wire with it..
dgullickson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 08:21 PM   #304
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Brian McGreevy Send a message via Yahoo to Brian McGreevy

Hotwire = Dialed

Just got mine today and that is definitely one of the cooler things I've done with my R/C car in a while.
USVTA Member #211

Support Formula SAE - get kids into engineering!
http://motorsports.illinois.edu/
Brian McGreevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 08:30 PM   #305
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Fred B.- My home track is called "The Track" at Harbor Hobbies up near Six Flags Great America in Illinois. It is about a 5 1/2 hour drive from where Josh's place was but a nice facility. We had the Trans Am Nat's there, I qualified in the final but had to leave before the show to pick up the wifey from work.

You should come up, in fact several of us have been practicing all day Saturday and Sunday indoors trying to figure the cars out more, we will be up there this Sat.

Where are you planning on running for the winter?
Old 06-05-2008, 08:45 PM   #306
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I'm going to travel around a little this winter. Most of the time I'll be at Grand Rapids unless some thing opens closer. Should be able to make it over that way towards indoor season.

It's looking like a 13.5 year this year and I might wuss out and run 17.5 an 13.5 at Cleveland and the Halloween Classic. I'm working on getting another car together for a 2nd class.
Fred_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 10:02 PM   #307
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I have a couple of 4.5's and a 5.5 for you to run when you come to our track or I see you at Grand Rapids. Do you know what the size of that track is and if there is a web site with some pictures?

I know Tim Exelby has been telling me about a track that everyone has been running at, is this it and is it big enough for mod?

Our track is 90+ ft. long by 40ft. wide so it is a really nice place to run everything. The 5 or so times that we raced 12th scale last season other than the Hurricane series we ran mod and more guys are planning to run mod this upcoming season. So come on over and run some with us. If The Gate does another "Carpet Steamer" I think I will try to make that as well, of course I am definitely planning on making the Halloween Classic also.

How do you like your RS Pro?
Old 06-06-2008, 07:54 AM   #308
Tech Addict

There's only one track in GR now (First CART & IRL and now this). I ran over there a few times last year and it's a good time. A little bumpy and a little small but we did run some mod on it. Mostly 13.5 though.

I just got the regular RS because I know that I'll be running 13.5 and once I decide if I want to run mod 12th I'll decide between a RS and a pro. The weight savings with the regular RS is crazy. I'm almost interested in running a 6.5 in 12th mod just because the speedo is so much lighter.

Between the speedo and wires, I have to add an extra half ounce to my TC5 with the new speedo. I'm probably going to practice tomorrow and see how it goes.

I'm holding out on mod stuff until some new motors come out. I like to stick with the same brand of speedo and motor because it makes everything look cleaner.
Old 06-06-2008, 09:08 AM   #309
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Any idea when the "hot wire" will be available again? Everyone has been out for a few weeks
ottoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 09:43 AM   #310
Tech Addict

Did a quick search and it looks like axiommotors has them in stock. I know that some ebay stores have them.

Stormers has the new LiPo's in stock by the way. Might have to order one up to try. Soon you'll be able to have tekin batteries, speedo's and motors.
Old 06-06-2008, 09:45 AM   #311
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to PitNamedGordie Send a message via Yahoo to PitNamedGordie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ottoman View Post
Any idea when the "hot wire" will be available again? Everyone has been out for a few weeks
Got mine from Nexus Racing...they're in stock.

http://www.nexusracing.com/product_i...oducts_id=1906
Old 06-06-2008, 09:59 AM   #312
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 40 (100%+)
Send a message via Skype™ to fpart

Anyone know where I can get a RS PRO?
fpart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 10:58 AM   #313
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ottoman View Post
Got mine from my LHS yesterday. They got it via Horizon or Great Planes.
or8ital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 12:45 PM   #314
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by darnold View Post
Omoser-
Based upon information that Jim has given to our team, there is a difference between Sensor only and Dual (hybid) modes in how they operate.

In Dual Mode the esc uses the sensor and the motor timing set on the "timing ring" to start and then it seamlessly switches into sensorLESS mode which uses the timing set in the esc. In Sensor Mode the entire operation is by the Hall Sensor and timing set on the "timing ring". Dual Mode is more efficient and gives more top end speed. Based upon my testing they will need different gearing and timing.

It should be remembered that the LRP uses dynamic timing advance and is NOT a dual mode esc so your gearing for an LRP will only serve as a baseline for you to start figuring out your gearing with the RS Pro. I think this is why yyhayyim suggested that you were over geared or running too much timing, and your motor temps seem to support that idea. The fact that you were slowing down within the first minute may be a voltage issue being caused from over gearing as this can pull excessive amounts of voltage out of the batteries and heat them up thereby increasing voltage suppression.

Here is something to try:
-Set the timing back to 12% with the motor timed at 0.
-Adjust the gearing to get the motor temperatures into the 130-150 F and the RS Pro showing in the 4-5 temp. LED indicator range after a run.

Do NOT concern yourself about straight line speed at this point. Your goal is to get as close to these temperature ranges as possible with gearing. You can not compare what other people with their LRP's are doing with what you will be doing because the two esc's drive the motor differently.

Once you get these motor and esc ranges then:
-Turn up the timing via the Hot Wire to get the desired straight away speed and fine tune from there with timing and gearing.
-Keep the fan blowing on the solder posts.

For a 6 minute run on a 3.5 - 4.5t BL I would think that you would want to keep the motor in the 150-170 F. range and the RS Pro's temp. LED indicators between 4-6.

BTW, 95% "Brakes" is a little excessive (I don't know if this is push brakes, initial brakes or drag brake). It would be like running full maximum brake setting on the LRP, and I would think it would spin your car out. The "weird" sound that you hear may be from your motor or a belt skipping in your car.
thank you very much for your informative answer :-) i will try to follow your advices and give you feedback how it worked
omoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 03:10 PM   #315
Tech Champion

I don't have a Hotwire yet but plan to get one as soon as I can. So right now my timing is default settings on both the RS and the LRP V11 Stock Spec 13.5T motor I am running. What are the stock settings for the timing on these? When I get my Hotwire what timing should I be using? What are the symptoms if I have too much timing or not enough?
InspGadgt is offline   Reply With Quote