R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 06-02-2008, 10:41 AM   #286
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian McGreevy View Post
I ran my RS Pro today with a LRP 4.0, Trinity 4.5 and 3.5, 6 cell on carpet with foam tires. The speed control handled the motors very well and it drove excellent. With no fan on it, the speed control never rose above 150 degrees. I'm really looking forward to playing with the Hotwire to tune the timing settings perfectly. I couldn't be happier with the RS Pro right now.
did you run the default timing? sensored or sensorless mode?
omoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 12:01 PM   #287
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Brian McGreevy Send a message via Yahoo to Brian McGreevy

Quote:
Originally Posted by omoser View Post
did you run the default timing? sensored or sensorless mode?
I ran the default timing in the speed control and played with the motor timing. I believe the stock mode is the hybrid mode, and that is what I ran.

JayBee,

I have not yet had a chance to run a 13.5 or 10.5 motor yet. I've been focusing on modified testing.
USVTA Member #211

Support Formula SAE - get kids into engineering!
http://motorsports.illinois.edu/
Brian McGreevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 04:03 AM   #288
Tech Adept

one more thing i forgot, i was wondering whether it is normal that the brakes make such a strange noise. Every time i hit the brakes (set them to 95%), either the motor or the speedo make a really strange noise (this does not happen with the same motor and a TC Spec speedo). Does it the same for you?

Anyone found out a good 5-cell MOD TC setup for the RS yet?
omoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 09:12 AM   #289
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by omoser View Post
one more thing i forgot, i was wondering whether it is normal that the brakes make such a strange noise. Every time i hit the brakes (set them to 95%), either the motor or the speedo make a really strange noise (this does not happen with the same motor and a TC Spec speedo). Does it the same for you?

Anyone found out a good 5-cell MOD TC setup for the RS yet?
I just wish I was able to dial in ALOT more 'push-brakes'. Maybe I can do it with the Hotwire perhaps?

A E - 12R5.2 _ S M - REV8 PRO
JayBee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 09:36 AM   #290
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayBee View Post
I just wish I was able to dial in ALOT more 'push-brakes'. Maybe I can do it with the Hotwire perhaps?
My RS has plenty of push brakes for my SP 13.5...setting #8-9 on mine works much better than my previous Novaks and SP GT or LRP TC.
yyhayyim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 10:54 AM   #291
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I just mounted a RS in my sedan (waiting for 12th season) and it's pretty sweet. I have to add a little over a half ounce to get the car back up to weight.

I can't wait for indoor season to start so that I can have a nice small light speedo in 12th again. Might even make weight for once.
Fred_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 11:02 AM   #292
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

I'm a nooob too what are "push-brakes"?

Quote:
Originally Posted by yyhayyim View Post
My RS has plenty of push brakes for my SP 13.5...setting #8-9 on mine works much better than my previous Novaks and SP GT or LRP TC.
Old 06-05-2008, 11:10 AM   #293
Tech Addict

Push brakes is just how much brake you get when you push the trigger foreward.

Drag brake is how much brake you get when you let off (without having to push the trigger forewards)

Initial brake is how much brake you get when you start pushing the trigger forewards. It's "brake punch" on my KO radio.

If anyone's having problems with not having enough brake make sure that you're not locking up. There's a lot less brake when the tires are skidding.
Old 06-05-2008, 11:17 AM   #294
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred_B View Post
Push brakes is just how much brake you get when you push the trigger foreward.

Drag brake is how much brake you get when you let off (without having to push the trigger forewards)

Initial brake is how much brake you get when you start pushing the trigger forewards. It's "brake punch" on my KO radio.

If anyone's having problems with not having enough brake make sure that you're not locking up. There's a lot less brake when the tires are skidding.
Thanks!!

I've gone through this thread and saw multiple posts about the best application for the pro and non-pro versions and I put in my order for the rs non-pro. i race 13.5 turn class pretty much exclusively right now, and i'm going to get a 10.5 turn so i don't really see a reason to get the rs pro (coupled w/ the fact that it's sold out everywhere).

One of my big issues w/ the gtb is brakes, and the fact that i don't have any. I always overshoot my turns because i have no *(&^ing brakes. I'm glad i can adjust the brake strength as well as on and off trigger.

Should i just get the hotwire now, and not wait until i have some esoteric setting i want to make? Is it easy to use the hotwire at the track? meaning are there tons of connections to make and risk to my laptop because i have to sit the car on the keyboard or something?
Old 06-05-2008, 11:34 AM   #295
Tech Addict

To be honest, I think that with any high wind motor the hotwire is going to be a must for anyone that's really compeditive. The hotwire allows you to adjust the timing and allows you to select sensored only mode.

I haven't played much with sensored only mode yet but I'm thinking that it's going to be the way to go with 13.5 or 17.5 motors. Especially with 4 cell stuff like oval and 12th.

One word of caution about timing though. It's been my experience that you don't need as much timing as what you think. From what I've seen with 13.5's (regardless of the speed control) is that more timing gives higher RPM at the expense of efficiency and heat. For me it's normally just as good to simply gear up. Might be a different story in oval but that's what I've found on roadcourse.
Old 06-05-2008, 02:00 PM   #296
Team Tekin

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Fred, did you get my present I threw in there with your RS?
Old 06-05-2008, 04:20 PM   #297
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Omoser-
Based upon information that Jim has given to our team, there is a difference between Sensor only and Dual (hybid) modes in how they operate.

In Dual Mode the esc uses the sensor and the motor timing set on the "timing ring" to start and then it seamlessly switches into sensorLESS mode which uses the timing set in the esc. In Sensor Mode the entire operation is by the Hall Sensor and timing set on the "timing ring". Dual Mode is more efficient and gives more top end speed. Based upon my testing they will need different gearing and timing.

It should be remembered that the LRP uses dynamic timing advance and is NOT a dual mode esc so your gearing for an LRP will only serve as a baseline for you to start figuring out your gearing with the RS Pro. I think this is why yyhayyim suggested that you were over geared or running too much timing, and your motor temps seem to support that idea. The fact that you were slowing down within the first minute may be a voltage issue being caused from over gearing as this can pull excessive amounts of voltage out of the batteries and heat them up thereby increasing voltage suppression.

Here is something to try:
-Set the timing back to 12% with the motor timed at 0.
-Adjust the gearing to get the motor temperatures into the 130-150 F and the RS Pro showing in the 4-5 temp. LED indicator range after a run.

Do NOT concern yourself about straight line speed at this point. Your goal is to get as close to these temperature ranges as possible with gearing. You can not compare what other people with their LRP's are doing with what you will be doing because the two esc's drive the motor differently.

Once you get these motor and esc ranges then:
-Turn up the timing via the Hot Wire to get the desired straight away speed and fine tune from there with timing and gearing.
-Keep the fan blowing on the solder posts.

For a 6 minute run on a 3.5 - 4.5t BL I would think that you would want to keep the motor in the 150-170 F. range and the RS Pro's temp. LED indicators between 4-6.

BTW, 95% "Brakes" is a little excessive (I don't know if this is push brakes, initial brakes or drag brake). It would be like running full maximum brake setting on the LRP, and I would think it would spin your car out. The "weird" sound that you hear may be from your motor or a belt skipping in your car.
Old 06-05-2008, 05:44 PM   #298
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
Fred, did you get my present I threw in there with your RS?
Presents...?? I like presents
Old 06-05-2008, 06:58 PM   #299
Tech Addict

Yup I got it Ty. Thanks for sending it by the way and for putting up with the "are we there yet" emails.

I think that once people start to see how small (and light) these things really are you're going to have a hard time keeping up with demand. The regular RS is going to save almost a half ounce with a 13.5 12th car. More than that if you're changing out a Novak.

I think that the dual mode is going to be pretty sweet for mod. Being able to control the timing on startup is pretty cool. I do have a tining question but I'll shoot you an email tomorrow.

Hey DArnold, where are you going to race this year? CEFX closing has put a damper on the racing around here.
Old 06-05-2008, 07:02 PM   #300
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred_B View Post
Yup I got it Ty. Thanks for sending it by the way and for putting up with the "are we there yet" emails.

Are you suggesting you bugged Tekin about not being able to get this?
or8ital is offline   Reply With Quote