Old 05-29-2008, 11:33 PM   #271
Tech Champion

Yeah I did...thought I was seeing things
InspGadgt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 11:39 PM   #272
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

How long are the sensors used in "dual mode"?

I ask because of a problem I had with my Speed Passion ESC that I could never get rid of... at the start tone of the A main my car moved right away... and seemed fine for the first few feet... then (I think) the ESC went into sensorless mode and the car didnt accelerate as fast as the car in front and behind me (sensored ESC's) ... my car acted more like a sensorless ESC with a slower spool up rate. I could only notice this at the start of the race... any other time the power was fine (13.5) but thats a bad time to be slow

I have a RS Pro and I want to try the Dual mode... will this happen with the RS?
ottoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008, 12:13 AM   #273
Tech Champion

How do you switch between modes? I don't see anything on Dual Mode in the instructions. Which mode is active by default?
InspGadgt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008, 03:11 AM   #274
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by yyhayyim View Post
I think you're over geared or over timed. Either go a couple teeth less and try a 8.2-8.3 FDR, or lower the timing.
this FDR would work for a 6-cell or a LIPO setup, not for 5-cell, at least at our track. Some race mates gear the 4.0T down to 7.2 to get more top end speed. We're racing on a pretty large track, so this FDR should be OK.

about the timing, I ran the default (12) timing on the speedo and default timing on the motor, so this should not be an issue.

But anyways, I will check whether the fan helps this weekend, I will post pics of the inistallation and give feeback about heat :-)
omoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008, 04:50 AM   #275
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by omoser View Post
this FDR would work for a 6-cell or a LIPO setup, not for 5-cell, at least at our track. Some race mates gear the 4.0T down to 7.2 to get more top end speed. We're racing on a pretty large track, so this FDR should be OK.

about the timing, I ran the default (12) timing on the speedo and default timing on the motor, so this should not be an issue.

But anyways, I will check whether the fan helps this weekend, I will post pics of the inistallation and give feeback about heat :-)
You're absolutely right, I'd even say 7.6 could be a little undergeared... That could be due to the low timing you have used, try using something in between the timings suggested for 3.5 and 4.5.

A fan is an absolute necessity in 5-cell mod i can already tell you.
TRF415boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008, 07:15 AM   #276
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Brian McGreevy Send a message via Yahoo to Brian McGreevy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ottoman View Post

I ask because of a problem I had with my Speed Passion ESC that I could never get rid of... at the start tone of the A main my car moved right away... and seemed fine for the first few feet... then (I think) the ESC went into sensorless mode and the car didnt accelerate as fast as the car in front and behind me (sensored ESC's) ... my car acted more like a sensorless ESC with a slower spool up rate. I could only notice this at the start of the race... any other time the power was fine (13.5) but thats a bad time to be slow

I have a RS Pro and I want to try the Dual mode... will this happen with the RS?
Jim, I believe the RS Pro comes stock with the hybrid or dual mode, except it works much better and in the opposite fashion to what you've described. The transistion from sensored to sensorless feels seemless, and I can feel it "kick in" at higher speeds/rpm. I did not notice any lag at or near the start of a modified main this last weekend. I have yet to try the speedo in 13.5 or 17.5, but I wouldn't expect anything like this to happen.
USVTA Member #211

Support Formula SAE - get kids into engineering!
http://motorsports.illinois.edu/
Brian McGreevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008, 04:02 PM   #277
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

I'll be trying mine tonight in 13.5 foam. I'll have something on it later

A E - 12R5.2 _ S M - REV8 PRO
JayBee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2008, 01:26 PM   #278
Tech Adept

Ok, so today I had my first race with my new Tekin RS Pro. To be honest, and to keep this short, I had to switch back to my LRP TC Spec for the final heats I could not keep up with the other guys both in terms of in-field punch and top end speed. I tried different motors, different gearings, played around with timing and throttle profiles. Nothing helped. The performance with my TC spec was honestly 15% to 20% better than with the RS Pro. For a final test, I gave the ESC to a race mate who runs the stock class, and we made a head2head comparison on the straight (we even set the timing to 80 for this test). The TC spec powered car had an almost 2 meter advantage in the end...

I'm using 2 caps, a 30x30mm fan, even silver solder on the soldering posts... I have no idea what i could try now.

Is it possible that the unit has a defect? Since from the very first run with the ESC, I always had the feeling that I'm missing both bottom end punch and top end speed. Could it be that the high FETs are damaged? I'd be more than thankful for any advice, since I was anticipating this speedo for more than a year, and always had good experience with Tekin in the past (I started racing with Tekin speedos when i was a kid ). And I would be very disappointed if I have to switch back to LRP/Nosram.

Btw, for me it was not possible to make a whole run with a Orion Votex 2008 3.0T. It thermaled at about 4.10 each time.
Old 06-01-2008, 04:21 PM   #279
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ottoman View Post

I thought I pm'd a response to you on this one, did it get through? I said the same thing that Brian just replied with so either way I am glad that you received an answer as I can see how this could concern you given your past experience.
Old 06-01-2008, 04:41 PM   #280
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by omoser View Post
Ok, so today I had my first race with my new Tekin RS Pro. To be honest, and to keep this short, I had to switch back to my LRP TC Spec for the final heats I could not keep up with the other guys both in terms of in-field punch and top end speed. I tried different motors, different gearings, played around with timing and throttle profiles. Nothing helped. The performance with my TC spec was honestly 15% to 20% better than with the RS Pro. For a final test, I gave the ESC to a race mate who runs the stock class, and we made a head2head comparison on the straight (we even set the timing to 80 for this test). The TC spec powered car had an almost 2 meter advantage in the end...

I'm using 2 caps, a 30x30mm fan, even silver solder on the soldering posts... I have no idea what i could try now.

Is it possible that the unit has a defect? Since from the very first run with the ESC, I always had the feeling that I'm missing both bottom end punch and top end speed. Could it be that the high FETs are damaged? I'd be more than thankful for any advice, since I was anticipating this speedo for more than a year, and always had good experience with Tekin in the past (I started racing with Tekin speedos when i was a kid ). And I would be very disappointed if I have to switch back to LRP/Nosram.

Btw, for me it was not possible to make a whole run with a Orion Votex 2008 3.0T. It thermaled at about 4.10 each time.
I have an SP 4.5 that I run in 12th modified and I had to do some testing to find a good combination of timing and gearing changes to get it to run a little faster than with the LRP. The LRP has a dynamic timing advance I do believe (could be wrong on this) that can make gearing and motor timing setups different than other esc's.

Did you toggle into sensor mode only as this would make for a different combination of timing and gearing than dual mode does? The LRP and the RS Pro do things very differently, you will do well to spend a practice day playing with your current limiters, timing, modes, and gearing because you have more things that you can do with the RS Pro to extract a lot of performance.

Yesterday I noticed something very interesting at practice when I ran my friends Vortex 12th scale 4.5 BL. I was able to run at only 40% esc timing on my RS Pro (instead of 70% with my SP) and a tooth lower then what I had to run my SP at with my LRP (instead of 2 teeth higher with RS Pro) but the motor was still faster with the RS Pro/Orion motor combination than with my LRP/SP.
So it appears that motors really do play a role in all of this as well.
Old 06-01-2008, 05:14 PM   #281
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by darnold View Post
I have an SP 4.5 that I run in 12th modified and I had to do some testing to find a good combination of timing and gearing changes to get it to run a little faster than with the LRP. The LRP has a dynamic timing advance I do believe (could be wrong on this) that can make gearing and motor timing setups different than other esc's.

Did you toggle into sensor mode only as this would make for a different combination of timing and gearing than dual mode does? The LRP and the RS Pro do things very differently, you will do well to spend a practice day playing with your current limiters, timing, modes, and gearing because you have more things that you can do with the RS Pro to extract a lot of performance.

Yesterday I noticed something very interesting at practice when I ran my friends Vortex 12th scale 4.5 BL. I was able to run at only 40% esc timing on my RS Pro (instead of 70% with my SP) and a tooth lower then what I had to run my SP at with my LRP (instead of 2 teeth higher with RS Pro) but the motor was still faster with the RS Pro/Orion motor combination than with my LRP/SP.
You will probably find that the motor differences are attributable to the different rotors.

The SP mods use a big rotor, mostly 13.5mm in the series 1 i believe. While the Orion generally come with a 12.5mm rotor, this will allow to car to have more top end, and accounts for the change in gearing.

This is even more prevalent if you are running 5 cell.
Old 06-01-2008, 06:46 PM   #282
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Brian McGreevy Send a message via Yahoo to Brian McGreevy
Thumbs up

I ran my RS Pro today with a LRP 4.0, Trinity 4.5 and 3.5, 6 cell on carpet with foam tires. The speed control handled the motors very well and it drove excellent. With no fan on it, the speed control never rose above 150 degrees. I'm really looking forward to playing with the Hotwire to tune the timing settings perfectly. I couldn't be happier with the RS Pro right now.
USVTA Member #211

Support Formula SAE - get kids into engineering!
http://motorsports.illinois.edu/
Brian McGreevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 07:04 AM   #283
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Besercoe View Post
You will probably find that the motor differences are attributable to the different rotors.

The SP mods use a big rotor, mostly 13.5mm in the series 1 i believe. While the Orion generally come with a 12.5mm rotor, this will allow to car to have more top end, and accounts for the change in gearing.

This is even more prevalent if you are running 5 cell.
My understanding is that each company (Trinity, SP, Orion, etc.) can and does order different windings from Feigio (spelling) and that also plays a role with the difference in motor performance.
Old 06-02-2008, 09:49 AM   #284
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian McGreevy View Post
I ran my RS Pro today with a LRP 4.0, Trinity 4.5 and 3.5, 6 cell on carpet with foam tires. The speed control handled the motors very well and it drove excellent. With no fan on it, the speed control never rose above 150 degrees. I'm really looking forward to playing with the Hotwire to tune the timing settings perfectly. I couldn't be happier with the RS Pro right now.
Hey Brian do you run any 13.5 or 10.5? I just got my Hotwire too.

A E - 12R5.2 _ S M - REV8 PRO
JayBee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 10:40 AM   #285
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by darnold View Post

hmmm, so it makes a difference in performance whether or not i toggle the sensor only flag? Does it really switch from sensored to sensorless operation if this flag is not set? For my understanding, this would also mean that the timing advance becomes irrelevant after switching to sensorless mode, does it?

I did not toggle the sensor olny flag, and I tried about 16% timing advance for my LRP 3.5T with a 12.5mm rotor, 5-cell TC. Maybe I should increase the timing even more?

Quote:
so 40% is alot of timing for a 4.5T i thought, but obviously this heavily depends on the number of cells you are running with. It would be great to get some input from Team Tekin on this issue.