R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 03-08-2009, 08:48 PM   #2791
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gone Racin View Post
Hello Guys, just got the RS Pro Esc up and running. All good there. now we just installed Hotwire seems to be all good there.have not used it yet. Now ready to install the 1.89 that Randy has sent us. do you have to unstall 1.80 first then do the new version. Please need some input. also running TC outdoors,rubber rire, big flowing track with LRP 4.5T geared 9.0 flat would like a good starting point with Esc settings,Thanks Ron H,

Trips beat me to it, and did a better job.
reenmachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2009, 08:49 PM   #2792
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gone Racin View Post
Hello Guys, just got the RS Pro Esc up and running. All good there. now we just installed Hotwire seems to be all good there.have not used it yet. Now ready to install the 1.89 that Randy has sent us. do you have to unstall 1.80 first then do the new version. Please need some input. also running TC outdoors,rubber rire, big flowing track with LRP 4.5T geared 9.0 flat would like a good starting point with Esc settings,Thanks Ron H,
Yes, I found I had to uninstall 180 first.

I don't run much modified, but a you'll most likely want to run Dual Mode

LONG LIVE OPEN MODIFIED
miller tyme is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2009, 08:56 PM   #2793
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Default RS Pro

Hello Again, You guys are very helpfull and fast. Thanks,
Gone Racin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2009, 09:01 PM   #2794
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by reenmachine View Post

Trips beat me to it, and did a better job.
INteresting... My post shows "Today 9:47PM" and yours shows as "9:48"... Looks like rctech is not on daylight saving time yet?
Old 03-08-2009, 09:09 PM   #2795
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trips View Post
INteresting... My post shows "Today 9:47PM" and yours shows as "9:48"... Looks like rctech is not on daylight saving time yet?
Mine is...I think it's in your personal settings.
reenmachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2009, 09:25 PM   #2796
Tech Elite

I don't know... my cable box right now says 11:25, my cell phone shows 11:25, I bumped the clock on my computer to 11:25, hitting "send" now...

edit: and the post says I posted at "10:25"... no discrepancy like this yesterday...
Old 03-08-2009, 09:28 PM   #2797
Team Tekin

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to Randy_Pike

Try this setup for 4.5Tish in TC class:
Attached Thumbnails
Tekin RS ESC sensored-rs-mo-4wd.jpg  

Tekin,Protek,A-Main Hobbies,JConcepts,Avid RC,Yokomo,MIP,SikLidz,FactoryRC, www.randypikerc.com
Randy_Pike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 02:59 AM   #2798
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy_Pike View Post
Try this setup for 4.5Tish in TC class:
Randy, what else do you need to run on the RS Pro for 4.5T mod? Do you need to have a fan blowing across the solder posts and does it need a bigger cap ?

POWERED BY SPEEDZONE USA
Skitee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 04:01 AM   #2799
Tech Master

yes or you can put 2 on it.
Tekin Redline 10,5
Protoform LTC-R
mikky32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 10:03 AM   #2800
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Default RSpro

This is to Randy, and everyone else that has help. you guys give great support on here. we ask question and you answer them. Thanks, Ron H,
Gone Racin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 11:26 AM   #2801
okayplayer

guys,

just tested my setup (bring the laptop at my local club)

The convex curve (4) is way better for my track because it has lots of speed on quick trigger moves.

Weather temp was 13░ C (55░ F), with Jaco Rubber Green (Soft) Shore 28. Was great, good grip.

I went with a full tekin rs pro + tekin 6.5T with a FDR of 6.8 (21T pinion) and 100% timing no limit. Speed was good but I think getting up to 22T or 23T pinion checking the motor temp (with 21T pinion temp was LOW !)

What motor temperature should I consider to gear down ? I got a live sensor on the motor so I can be able to stop if that goes bad.

I'm quite sure that 22T/23T pinion will be the good choice.

Any recommendations?

CÚdric
Old 03-09-2009, 11:29 AM   #2802
Team Tekin

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to Randy_Pike

Ron, we try. I've always felt that while you can't be perfect all the time the least we can do is make the effort!

I sleep well knowing that everyone at Tekin is working hard and has their head down to be at the top of R/C. Everyone one here is putting 110% into these products and it shows if you ask me.

For a 4.5 T setup I would like to see 2 caps. You can run a larger single cap but the two cap setup has lower resistance.

The fan is only needed if you are close to thermaling. Not everyone drivers the same and some get it hot, some don't.

If you position your solder posts towards the outside of the chassis where it can get clean air you'd be surprised what that can do.

Tekin,Protek,A-Main Hobbies,JConcepts,Avid RC,Yokomo,MIP,SikLidz,FactoryRC, www.randypikerc.com
Randy_Pike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 11:44 AM   #2803
okayplayer

one additional question : I setup the ESC with a (2) 2S lipos.

Just wondering why it does not "alerts" (at least the speed slow down are not easy noticeable)... Just got my lipo to 3% !!!! Keeping them safe should be to never go under 20%.

I can use a timer but hard to know how much time is left as the throttle is not always the same.

CÚdric
Old 03-09-2009, 11:48 AM   #2804
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by okayplayer View Post

Just wondering why it does not "alerts" (at least the speed slow down are not easy noticeable)... Just got my lipo to 3% !!!! Keeping them safe should be to never go under 20%.

I can use a timer but hard to know how much time is left as the throttle is not always the same.

CÚdric
3% of mah capacity? The cutoff works on voltage. You lipo likely takes more Mah then the pack says. When a lipo is done the speed cutoff is very noticeable and even then you are within a safe range (as long as you stop at that point).
or8ital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 12:15 PM   #2805
Tech Elite

Quote:
guys,
I went with a full tekin rs pro + tekin 6.5T with a FDR of 6.8 (21T pinion) and 100% timing no limit. Speed was good but I think getting up to 22T or 23T pinion checking the motor temp (with 21T pinion temp was LOW !)

What motor temperature should I consider to gear down ? I got a live sensor on the motor so I can be able to stop if that goes bad.

I'm quite sure that 22T/23T pinion will be the good choice.

Any recommendations?

CÚdric
THe only recommendatiopn I can make to you is to gear for lap times, look at the temperature for safety. What I mean is, if you go up and your lap times improve, go up again, just watch the temp and don't let it get over 180F or so.

I find my lap times stop improving by the time I get to 150F, the car doesn't get any faster. THis is in a 1/12 car with 4 cell NIMH battery. I also notice that even though the lap times are the same at 135F and 160F, at 160F there is a noticeable fade in speed late in the run... I believe it is because I'm using more of the batteries capacity and geting the voltage lower.

So... I gear for best lap times with no fade at the end, and look at temperature just to be sure I'm not hurting anything. For off-road, you'll probably be getting into higher temps than me, so consider 180F to be the upper limit.

Quote:

CÚdric
When your LiPO was down to 3%, what was the voltage... for a 2 cell LiPO, anything above 6 volts should still be safe. From what I know of LiPO, you can run down to 3V per cell safely.