R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 03-02-2009, 09:15 PM   #2701
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Default 1.89

Hello Randy, i sent you a PM the other night. Would you look to see if you got it. Please Ron H,
Gone Racin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 10:00 PM   #2702
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy_Pike View Post
Crashby,

Do you have 189 software? What motor are you using?

At the birds most of our team was running 189 with 0 motor timing and full boost timing of 30 degrees.

Let me know what motor you're using.

If you're Hotwire doesn't work on your vista see if it's 32 or 64 bit. Currently the Hotwire is only compatible with 32 bit.
I down loaded the software from the Tekin website. Not sure if it's 189 or not. I am trying both a Trinity Duo and Orion. I ran the first practice Sunday with the Duo set at zero timing and the boost set at 25. Car was ok but like I said, it was faster with the SPX and an Orion. I then turned the boost up to 30, same motor, but did not notice a change. I then moved the timing on the Duo to 10 degrees with 30 boost. Car seemed slightly faster but still not as fast as with the SPX/Orion combo. For the last qualifier and the main I ran the Orion with about 12 degrees of timing and the 30 boost. Car was the best with that set up but I was still getting pulled by the SPX cars. The motor temps never got above 140.

What next?
Crashby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 10:07 PM   #2703
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Please go into your Hotwire software and see what version you have. Are you sure you have the 189 software? The 'boost' doesn't go over 30 total in the software does it? If it does, set it to 100, put it into sensored only, and set the motor back to around 12* and start there. If you have an older version, your getting a percentage of total timing, and not 'boost'.

The car should be an absolute rocket with 30 boost and 0 timing on the motor, and requires a pretty big gear change to keep from over heating the motor. Did you change the gearing when changing timing, you didn't mention if you did or didn't?
Extreme Graffix
Dragula426 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 10:42 PM   #2704
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragula426 View Post
Please go into your Hotwire software and see what version you have. Are you sure you have the 189 software? The 'boost' doesn't go over 30 total in the software does it? If it does, set it to 100, put it into sensored only, and set the motor back to around 12* and start there. If you have an older version, your getting a percentage of total timing, and not 'boost'.

The car should be an absolute rocket with 30 boost and 0 timing on the motor, and requires a pretty big gear change to keep from over heating the motor. Did you change the gearing when changing timing, you didn't mention if you did or didn't?
I'm running the same roll out that we ran with the SPX. We found that with the SPX we had to drop from a 90-92 roll out to a 72-73 roll out. Pretty big change but the SPX demanded that for the best performance. I thought that would be a good starting point for the RS Pro as well. Like I said, the car is not bad, it's just not as fast as it was with the SPX. I am convinced that I just do not have the correct set up on the RS Pro. But... with all being equal, if every car has either an SPX, RS Pro or even a KO programable, it will still boil down to who has the best motor and we are finding that brushless motors are just like brushed motors. Some are good, some are damn good and some are not even close to being a 17.5.

I will check the software I have and report back.
Crashby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 10:51 PM   #2705
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

When will the next shipment be delivered to Tower hobbies. I'm waiting for them to get it back in stock to order.
Old 03-02-2009, 10:55 PM   #2706
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 150 (99%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crashby View Post
I'm running the same roll out that we ran with the SPX. We found that with the SPX we had to drop from a 90-92 roll out to a 72-73 roll out. Pretty big change but the SPX demanded that for the best performance. I thought that would be a good starting point for the RS Pro as well. Like I said, the car is not bad, it's just not as fast as it was with the SPX. I am convinced that I just do not have the correct set up on the RS Pro. But... with all being equal, if every car has either an SPX, RS Pro or even a KO programable, it will still boil down to who has the best motor and we are finding that brushless motors are just like brushed motors. Some are good, some are damn good and some are not even close to being a 17.5.

I will check the software I have and report back.
If you downloaded it directly from tekin's website you do not have 189 or "boost". If you are in sensored only mode, the timing you are adding via hotwire is not doing anything and if you are in hybrid, then you need to put the slider at 100.
Old 03-02-2009, 11:24 PM   #2707
Tech Adept

Hi there, need some help for my RS Pro Esc, if any of you guys can guide me the best way soldering 2 power cap to my ESC, picture included r most appreciate. thanks
Cmdr Bravo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 12:26 AM   #2708
okayplayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by okayplayer View Post
I'm running on asphalt with rubbert tyres/foam tyres; 1/10 car and the recommended FDR for 6.5T motors by Novak is average FDR : 7

Should I go to a FDR of 4.5 / 5 ?

I don't really get it.

CÚdric
I read that I have to gear down with dual mode, boost 100%

does it means that I need a FDR of 5 instead of 7 ? or let's say instead of 21T pinion... going to 17 or 15 ?

CÚdric
Old 03-03-2009, 12:31 AM   #2709
Tech Rookie

If you're told to gear it down, the FDR should be higher. So from say 7 to 7.5 or so. that means using smaller pinions as you say.
DaSloth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 12:43 AM   #2710
okayplayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaSloth View Post
If you're told to gear it down, the FDR should be higher. So from say 7 to 7.5 or so. that means using smaller pinions as you say.
Hi,

Ok, my apologizes. I will test with a 17 or 19T pinion... check the temp and behaviour of the car... then gear it up.

This is the way to go right ?

CÚdric
Old 03-03-2009, 12:48 AM   #2711
okayplayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cmdr Bravo View Post
Hi there, need some help for my RS Pro Esc, if any of you guys can guide me the best way soldering 2 power cap to my ESC, picture included r most appreciate. thanks
Hi,

I'm newbie, just soldered everything yesterday. The tekin manual is REALLY TOP. My advises (in frenchie english!):
- take care of the cap wires, cause to put the cap horizontal on esc, you need to bend them a little, let's say 45 degrees. Problem is that I did that but didn't watch the negative so just before soldering I noticed that I was soldering - with +.
=> Issue is that if you bend them two much in the other direction, they (for sure) break, so do it carefully.

After that, just solder the cap's wire with the ESC solidely maintened and then continue by soldering all the wires to the ESC.

Quite easy,

Hope this helps,

CÚdric
Old 03-03-2009, 04:10 AM   #2712
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Hi Guys,

Just ordered an RS pro and hotwire for my TRF416WE. I've got an Orion Stock spec 17.5T motor and a tuning rotor set and I was looking for your opinions on what setup to run (Rotor, timing, gearing and speedy settings is possible). I'm running on a small outdoor asphalt track on rubber tyres. Also where or who can supply me with the 189 software as it sounds the ticket .

Thanks in advance,
Steve

P.S
Apologies as im new to brushless and have no idea what im doing

www.brccc.org
myan racing (coming soon)
myan_gsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 04:45 AM   #2713
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cmdr Bravo View Post
here is a picture of my layout, hope it helps http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pi...e&id=527746621

Just make sure the capacitor is not allowed to hit the button, it is a close fit

The wife stops me being sane and the r/c stops me from going insane....
tc3team is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 11:00 AM   #2714
Team Tekin

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to Randy_Pike

Anyone looking for 189 software needs to email me for it: [email protected]

I request to know where you live/race so I can point out any team drivers in your area.

For the 17.5 TC you can try this setup:
Attached Thumbnails
Tekin RS ESC sensored-17.5-tc-1-12th-setup.jpg  

Tekin,Protek,A-Main Hobbies,JConcepts,Avid RC,Yokomo,MIP,SikLidz,FactoryRC, www.randypikerc.com
Randy_Pike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 11:04 AM   #2715
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to PitNamedGordie Send a message via Yahoo to PitNamedGordie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy_Pike View Post
Anyone looking for 189 software needs to email me for it: [email protected]

I request to know where you live/race so I can point out any team drivers in your area.

For the 17.5 TC you can try this setup:
Ahh is that the new look software?