R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 05-24-2008, 06:20 AM   #241
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodgeguy View Post
Thats becuase he runs motors based on the color. He is all about the pretty factor
This coming from a painter! I gotta win at something, if I cant win on the track at least I can have the nicest looking car with its lid off.
or8ital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2008, 11:42 AM   #242
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 267 (100%+)

Rs pro in stock at www.highvelocityracing.com $219.99 free shipping!

back on topic, I ran mine yesterday and it is dialed, I love the size too compared to all of the other brushless out there, plenty of tuning options too....

Team associated, Reedy, schelle racing, Lunsford, Lead finger racing
johnny boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2008, 05:45 PM   #243
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Just put my RS in my Serpent S400. I will be running 10.5 on Sunday. Temperature will be around 90. I will post my findings after club race. The small footprint is awesome. Hope it performs as well as my FXpro.

T.O.P. Racing U.S.A. / Serpent America / EA Motorsports / Team Epic / Trinity
P3 Graphics / RC3 Grafix / Adco Paving Inc / Team Butter
AdamD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2008, 07:59 PM   #244
Tech Champion

Ran my Tekin today. Not quite dialed in yet but ran well. At least as well as the SP GT but a lot smaller. So already better Only issue I had was my PT didnt count about 1/3 of my laps in 2 heats. Going to try another PT next week to see if I can narrow down the issue.
Old 05-25-2008, 09:39 AM   #245
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to PitNamedGordie Send a message via Yahoo to PitNamedGordie

I ran my RS yesterday. I used to have a Novak GTB/17.5. I ran the RS and a Hacker 17.5 yesterday. At first the only thing I noticed was that there was a different throttle feel. Not sure if that was the Hacker, or ESC, or both. I probably should have ran the Novak 17.5 to really compare. I didn't really notice any performance benefits over the Novak...my lap times were the same. BUT Dave Arnold, a Tekin driver, had a Hotwire. I brought my car over to him and we discussed my ESC setup. He advanced the timing and made a few other minor changes. My next run was MUCH better. The timing advance he made gave me a great deal more top end. I beat my hot lap on the track by .4 seconds. I was shocked! My fast laps became my regular laps. I think I will get a Hotwire to do some experimenting. I think having adjustable timing in brushless ESC's will become the norm. The performance differences are significant over ESC's like the Novak. Oh...also the ESC temps were around 120. That was similar to my Novak GTB without a fan. I usually run my motor on the hotter side...175-180's. I hit the 190's a few times because I didn't pay attention to my practice times. I have a motor fan on order. When I get that and a Hotwire I will play with gearing/timing to see if I can get the temps under 170 and still get the same speed.

The other great thing about the RS is the size and weight. That may sound obvious but when you have it in your car it makes laying out your car almost as easy as a brushed setup.

All in all I had a great first day with the RS. If you're on the fence about getting one...get off

Last edited by PitNamedGordie; 05-25-2008 at 09:40 AM. Reason: typos
PitNamedGordie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2008, 10:01 AM   #246
Tech Champion

The default throttle punch is definately too soft. I kept thinking my car was weighed down or the drivetrain was binding. Got the local Tekin driver to increased that and it was much better.
Old 05-25-2008, 06:45 PM   #247
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

What is the weight difference between the GTB and the RS. Including the wires, caps, etc. besides motor. I am looking to put the carpet TC5 on a diet.
Thanks and God Bless
CRC WTF-1
Jsaves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2008, 12:46 AM   #248
Tech Champion

I'm not sure about the weight difference but the size difference is pretty significant. With the RS in my BMI DB12R I have enough room in the car to run the battery in any of it's positions from all the way back to all the way foward. My 2 other fellow DB12R drivers here locally have to run the battery all the way back to have enough room for the 4 cell GTB.

My RS ran awesome today! Took TQ by a lap today in 1/12th and added even another lap to that in the main! Incredible ESC...it just ran great all day long. I love how the setup and programming on it are pretty much identical to my FX so I was able to setup the ESC really quickly because I was allready familiar with my FX. Only thing is I was so familiar allready that I didn't read the instructions all the way through to realize it had reverse! LOL...Imagine my surprised when the car suddenly went backwards on me! D'oh! READ YOUR INSTRUCTIONS

Thanks Tekin for another awesome product!
InspGadgt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2008, 07:54 AM   #249
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

I ran my new RS yesterday in my touring car running a 10.5 motor. I was pretty happy over all. Speedo is very smooth with factory settings. Very linear feeling. Most impressive was the motor temps. No matter where I geared the motor temps never got over 155 on my Novak 10.5. I would also say read directions. Need to change presets for Brushless Forward Only. My car went in Reverse , but it was on the car stand. Running 10.5 and 13.5 speedo settings needed to be more aggressive. I forgot to bring my laptop so I wasn't able to dial it in exactly like I would have liked. After getting home I made several changes. More aggressive throttle profile, lowered my neutral width setting, and advanced my timing. Really looking forward to see what happens now.

T.O.P. Racing U.S.A. / Serpent America / EA Motorsports / Team Epic / Trinity
P3 Graphics / RC3 Grafix / Adco Paving Inc / Team Butter
AdamD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2008, 09:28 AM   #250
Super Moderator

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 182 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamD View Post
I ran my new RS yesterday in my touring car running a 10.5 motor. I was pretty happy over all. Speedo is very smooth with factory settings. Very linear feeling. Most impressive was the motor temps. No matter where I geared the motor temps never got over 155 on my Novak 10.5. I would also say read directions. Need to change presets for Brushless Forward Only. My car went in Reverse , but it was on the car stand. Running 10.5 and 13.5 speedo settings needed to be more aggressive. I forgot to bring my laptop so I wasn't able to dial it in exactly like I would have liked. After getting home I made several changes. More aggressive throttle profile, lowered my neutral width setting, and advanced my timing. Really looking forward to see what happens now.
Hey Adam have you tried it with a mod motor yet??
Marcos.J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2008, 01:50 PM   #251
1M
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

I ran the RS with a novak 13.5 Sunday night on the dirt oval @ Chico's R/C speedway. TQ and a win motor temps 130. Was easy to make a few changes on the esc, throttle limit and drag break.

Looking forward to running the TEKIN 13.5 soon.

Bob Mott
1M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2008, 03:06 PM   #252
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

Hey Marcos, I'll give you some feedback after I get mine Wednesday

A E - 12R5.2 _ S M - REV8 PRO
JayBee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2008, 03:11 PM   #253
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Brian McGreevy Send a message via Yahoo to Brian McGreevy
Talking

I got to run my RS Pro yesterday for the first time on asphalt with a 4.5, 6 cells. It performed flawlessly all day. The throttle feel was incredibly linear and it was easy to put the power down smoothly through the corners. Big thumbs up to Tekin!

Looking forward to getting a Hotwire to play around with the settings a bit more.
USVTA Member #211

Support Formula SAE - get kids into engineering!
http://motorsports.illinois.edu/
Brian McGreevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2008, 03:17 PM   #254
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcos.J View Post
Hey Adam have you tried it with a mod motor yet??
Mo has been running mod
Old 05-26-2008, 04:24 PM   #255
Super Moderator

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 182 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayBee View Post
Hey Marcos, I'll give you some feedback after I get mine Wednesday
thanks JayBee let me know
Marcos.J is offline   Reply With Quote