R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 02-09-2009, 05:43 PM   #2386
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Ran the above set-up this weekend in dirt oval EDM with a 17.5, and the car was absolutely wicked!! No less than three drivers in my class complained and said I must have had a 13.5 in the car. My car set-up was right on, and I TQ'd and then won the A....My only issue was it falls off the pace a little after the 3min mark. I am still trying to figure that out, but it looks and feels a lot slower after 3min and motor temp was just over 160*, so I should be alright on temp. I am going to try a few things this weekend, and I am debating moving up to Big Block EDM 17.5...The car is there, the set-up is there, just that last minuit, the speed needs to stay.
Dragula426 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 07:18 PM   #2387
1M
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

Randy, your car is working good. Congratulations on the win. I tried the max boost and motor timing @ 0. seemed good. I ran mine in a late model at the same track as Dragula426 AKA Randy. TQ and A main win. Here is a picture of the car.

Bob

Last edited by 1M; 02-18-2011 at 12:34 PM.
1M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 08:26 PM   #2388
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sg1 View Post
That Duo motor was fast. I now run a TEKIN 17.5 and working on boost settings, rotors, gearing, and software; I am now faster on my local track then what that motor ran!
What boost are you at now?
bucknuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 09:05 PM   #2389
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Hey All,
The power capacitor for my RS Pro vanished off my 12 scale last race and I now need one for the RS Pro in my TC with a 13.5 motor. The question is: Will a Novak cap from a GTB brushless work fine for the weekend until I can order a Tekin replacement?
Thanks,
Kane
Old 02-09-2009, 09:10 PM   #2390
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarbonJoe View Post
Running an RS Pro (1.89 fw) in 1/12 scale 17.5. Motor timing at minimum, full boost (Trinity Duo), rollout of 3.33 inches, neutral 15, drag brake 40, brake strength 60, no current limit. At the start (from a dead standstill) the launch is pitiful. Within the first 15 feet or so, people pass me like I'm sitting still. Is this a V1.89 firmware issue? A few others are running Tekin RS/RS Pro and don't seem to have this issue.

After the first 15-20 feet, the car is fine throughout the rest of the race. It's just starting from a dead stop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by miller tyme View Post
Joe;

I don't have that problem, same motor firm ware, motor mid, boost 14, neutral 10, drag 35, but I gear a tad lower, 3.28-3.3 I found that the .02 makes a huge difference, If i run the same set-up and track with a 3.32 it bogs down and won't launch well.
I ran inito some launch issues this past weekend... running duo 17.5 in 1.12, low endbell, max boost, geared for 3.18 rollout. First round, the car would not get out of its own way off the corners. NO rip at all, but plenty fast down the straight once it got rolling. I figured something had to be wrong, so I took a "shotgun" approach... I re-flashed the RS with 1.89 in case something was corrupted, I reset the throttle endpoints on my DX3R down from 150/150 to 120/120 (I've run into speedos before that didn't like huge endpoint values) I recalibrated the RS to the transmmitter, I reset all the settings in the hotwire and re-sent them to the RS, then just for good measure I tightened up the diff nut because I thought the launch issue "might" have been a slipping diff...

Second round, all went well. Same gearing, now had plenty of rip off the corners, and great top end on the straight as well. EVERYONE wanted to know what I had done to the car... got my best laps of the day.

Third round, pretty much a repeat of the second.

In the main, I got walked off the line by several cars. It felt like I had an anchor attached to the car until the first corner. it actually helped, two of the cars that went by me on the start got caught up in an accident woith the car that was ahead of me at the start, and I got thru clean into second right behind the leader. we ran close for several laps, then the thought of actually being in contention for a win after MONTHS in the basement freaked me out and I started hitting boards... wound up in fourth for a bit then back into third for most of the main. Got passed for third on the final lap.

Interestingly enough, in the main my rollout was down to 3.06 or so... m rears had been geting smaller and I hadn't been going up on the pinion to suit... I could have gone up a tooth or even two, but the start was sill pitiful. I did see some possible diff slippage again after he main... so I wonder if the standing start issues have been diff related all along... i might just hit the track for a practice session with a locked up diff just to work on standing start line tests... with the shorter rollout due to the smaller rear tires, the top end on the straight was a bit down as you'd expect in the main, but that standing start still really hurt.

For what it's worth, the sensor check LED's were indicating that there is no sensor issue... I DID check that.
Old 02-09-2009, 09:14 PM   #2391
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kane-o View Post
Hey All,
The power capacitor for my RS Pro vanished off my 12 scale last race and I now need one for the RS Pro in my TC with a 13.5 motor. The question is: Will a Novak cap from a GTB brushless work fine for the weekend until I can order a Tekin replacement?
Thanks,
Kane
I have been running a Much More cap on mine and have had no problems at all.
Turbo Turtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 09:22 PM   #2392
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by tellan View Post
Ran the RS AND 10.5BL this weekend in a 1/12th BMI
Timing set too 0 on motor and boost to 30 ,profile 4 on throttle and the car was a missile only wish the thumbs were as good.
Roll out was set at 61mm yes correct 61mm and temp was under 140 degrees.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sg1 View Post
That's about right! You should have crazy rip in the infield!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpraydbySprague View Post
Tried some of the lower gearing on my RS Pro with 20deg boost and profile 5. Geared 35/84 with a 1.690 rear tire. My 1/12 scale would really squirt outta the corners, and the nasty cogging noise is gone!
Tellan's 69mm rollout is 2.72 inches, Sprague's comes to 2.21... I don';t doubt that the rip is there, but I can't imagine making down the straight with gearing that low... at 3.16 my car felt GREAT everywhere, off teh corners, down the straight, other than the starting line issue (and with the tires smaller I was roliing out at 3.07 or so for the main)

I guess need to try some low gearing, but I'd imagine the straightaway speed is going to kill me...
Old 02-09-2009, 09:49 PM   #2393
Tech Elite

Location: Conducting aggressive board meetings at my local track
Trader Rating: 64 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trips View Post
Tellan's 69mm rollout is 2.72 inches, Sprague's comes to 2.21... I don';t doubt that the rip is there, but I can't imagine making down the straight with gearing that low... at 3.16 my car felt GREAT everywhere, off teh corners, down the straight, other than the starting line issue (and with the tires smaller I was roliing out at 3.07 or so for the main)

I guess need to try some low gearing, but I'd imagine the straightaway speed is going to kill me...
I'm running on a 50X25 foot track. Not much of a straightaway. We're running a series of tight layouts with several 180deg turns. If your car felt good and had no motor cogging(i.e. sound like bad gear mesh when you accelerate) then you should be fine. I read you other post about diff slippage. Slippage would definitely kill your acceleration, especially on a heads up start. Had a similar problem, adjusted the diff properly, and in the main one week I shot from 5th to 2nd at the buzzer!

Three words...

Ready... Steady... Confetti!!!! (gonna need a new one of those)
SpraydbySprague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 10:22 PM   #2394
Tech Elite

The more I think about it, the more I am thinking diff slip. I WILL go for some practice time and really crank teh diff and do some standing launches to test the theory. I can usually hear a slipping diff, but at the start, the duration of the hesitation is only about a second or a bit less... I'd have to wait until the starting tone ended before I'd hear any slippage.
Old 02-10-2009, 08:25 AM   #2395
sg1
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 79 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucknuts View Post
What boost are you at now?
With max boost and 0 motor I had to gear down to a 2.60" roll out on a small track. With the boost in the middle and 6 deg. of motor timing I ran a 2.75" roll out on the same track. Lap times were pretty close, at the end of the race the overall run was within 1 second.
Old 02-10-2009, 08:33 AM   #2396
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbo Turtle View Post
I have been running a Much More cap on mine and have had no problems at all.

Thanks for the input.
Old 02-10-2009, 09:43 AM   #2397
Team Tekin

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to Randy_Pike

Slipping diffs can be hard to catch especially if it's for a short period of time, first few inches.

In regard to the sensor checker, when using 4 cell they can be dim. Try plugging in a 6 cell or 2s lipo when checking sensors, it's a lot easier to see.

Tekin,Protek,A-Main Hobbies,JConcepts,Avid RC,Yokomo,MIP,SikLidz,FactoryRC, www.randypikerc.com
Randy_Pike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 12:03 PM   #2398
Tech Addict

I've heard some BS lately that the FETs in ESC's degrade over time, and that you'll go slower. Is there any truth at all to a "fresh" ESC being faster than an older one?
Adam? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 12:33 PM   #2399
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam? View Post
I've heard some BS lately that the FETs in ESC's degrade over time, and that you'll go slower. Is there any truth at all to a "fresh" ESC being faster than an older one?
This depends completely on the FET's, heat cycles, and the use of a good cap.

I haven't had any problems with the RS going flat with age.
Fred_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 12:37 PM   #2400
Tech Elite

It may not be BS that you heard... I know a guy who used to run Novak GTX's and he swore that they went south after a few race days and the speed fell off. He'd replace his GTX's every month or so. He also swore he'd deny ever saying it if it came up, because he didn't want to screw his deal with Novak.

When he switched from Novak to LRP he said he didn't have any issues with needing to replace ESC's any more. I've never had the issue, but I did own one GTX that DID seem to go weak after a few months. I switched to a GM so I can't say the next GTX would have gone soft or not. I don't know if it was the FETs going bad, or some other reason.

NEVER had a Tekin or any other brand (other than that one GTX) seem to get weak on me.