R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 06-13-2013, 11:38 PM   #23236
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by rramjet View Post
OK I've searched this thread and can't find anything describing my issue. I put an RS in my Tamiya Mini,, (brushed Silver Can motor) I know, overkill, but I wasn't using it anywhere else and it's not as bulky or heavy as the stock one. It's wired for Fwd and Brake only. I can't get it to calibrate to my DX3R. When it powers up the last 3 leds are blinking, (signal too high I think). When I push the Mode button for 3 seconds led #1 blinks for a while, no chime and then it looks like it reboots, (1st middle and end leds flash), then the last three start blinking again. Tried different receivers, switchng to the Steering port, reversing the throttle, playing with throttle EPA all without sucess. The only way I can get it to work is to power it up and move the throttle till there are no leds. It seems to reboot then it will run. I have set EPA at 150 to get full thottle. Also have to crank in about -32 throttle trim to keep it from running on it's own. Goes like hell.

I use my DX3R with S3100 receivers on three other cars, (all brushless), including one with a Tekin Pro without problems.

Now that I know how to get it started I guess I can live with it but really curious to know what might be going on.

Thanks
last 3 leds are blinking, Calibration of TX and RX is off. Redo the calibration.
Geezatec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 10:26 AM   #23237
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geezatec View Post
last 3 leds are blinking, Calibration of TX and RX is off. Redo the calibration.
Thanks. I've redone it many times with the same result. The RX/TX combination works fine with the original Tamiya ESC.

It definitly acts like calibration is off but I'm starting to believe it's something in the Tekin caibration circuitry.

Think I'll give them a call and see what they say.
rramjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 10:55 AM   #23238
Team Tekin

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to Randy_Pike

Quote:
Thanks. I've redone it many times with the same result. The RX/TX combination works fine with the original Tamiya ESC.

It definitly acts like calibration is off but I'm starting to believe it's something in the Tekin caibration circuitry.

What radio is this? Make sure your epa's are set to 100/100 and if it's a Futaba reverse the throttle channel before calibrating.

Tekin,Protek,A-Main Hobbies,JConcepts,Avid RC,Yokomo,MIP,SikLidz,FactoryRC, www.randypikerc.com
Randy_Pike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 11:49 AM   #23239
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy_Pike View Post
What radio is this? Make sure your epa's are set to 100/100 and if it's a Futaba reverse the throttle channel before calibrating.
Thanks Randy. A phone call straightened me out. I feel a little stupid. I was pushing the Mode button for 3 seconds like the instructions state NOT holding it until the chime sounded.

Guess I'm just too literal.
Old 06-14-2013, 11:57 AM   #23240
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Quote:

OK, if there is no chime, the ESC is not calibrating. You can then reverse the Throttle channel on your transmitter and then try to recalibrate again. I have always held the mode button while turning on the power switch. May be an old habit... but it seems to work for me. If the ESC does not see a normal signal at neutral, it will not calibrate. Make sure your trim and sub-trim are zeroed and that the EPA is set to 100. The key is that the neutral position needs to be in the proper range to be recognized. The problem could also be that the neutral range in the ESC settings are too narrow or too wide thus causing it not to see a proper neutral signal.
R-Factor RC- TC4-R, P8 PanCar
Not as Fast as I want to be but too old to Whine about it... 8-)
YoDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 04:21 PM   #23241
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoDog View Post
OK, if there is no chime, the ESC is not calibrating. You can then reverse the Throttle channel on your transmitter and then try to recalibrate again. I have always held the mode button while turning on the power switch. May be an old habit... but it seems to work for me. If the ESC does not see a normal signal at neutral, it will not calibrate. Make sure your trim and sub-trim are zeroed and that the EPA is set to 100. The key is that the neutral position needs to be in the proper range to be recognized. The problem could also be that the neutral range in the ESC settings are too narrow or too wide thus causing it not to see a proper neutral signal.
Press Mode Button for approximately 3 sec. RS will start chimming 2 tone per sec, Then doubles in tone, it sets neutral position. Then it'll chime 2 per sec squeeze trigger to full throttle the hold, till it doubles chime. 2 time per sec push trigger to full brake until chime double. Let trigger back to neutral the RS will set itself. Your end point adjustment(EPA) should be at 100% with all electronic RC.

Good luck!!! Once Calibration are set, the rest are easy.
Old 06-14-2013, 05:38 PM   #23242
Tech Adept

Quote:
Press Mode Button for approximately 3 sec. RS will start chimming 2 tone per sec, Then doubles in tone, it sets neutral position. Then it'll chime 2 per sec squeeze trigger to full throttle the hold, till it doubles chime. 2 time per sec push trigger to full brake until chime double. Let trigger back to neutral the RS will set itself. Your end point adjustment(EPA) should be at 100% with all electronic RC.

Good luck!!! Once Calibration are set, the rest are easy.
Thanks everyone. All is good once I realized I needed to hold the mode button till it chimed. I was just pressing it for 3 seconds and letting go. Wonder how I ever got my RS Pro going. Must have been awake then.
Old 06-28-2013, 05:36 AM   #23243
Tech Initiate

just fitted the new rs gen2 in my MI5, I run a lrp x12/ 13.5 on carpet (high grip) track is 80' x 48' I run 7.29 fdr but have lost all my old settings for the rs, I noticed the leaflet that came with the gen 2 says dial back 25 degrees of timing ? any thoughts
nmsraider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 05:21 PM   #23244
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Does the RS and Viper motors work good together? It says that the Viper motors work with most escs.
Thanks and God Bless
CRC WTF-1
Jsaves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 07:44 AM   #23245
pk4
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Can someone pls help me out.... I have a RS Pro ESC along with Nosram 13.5 sensored motor and with Spektrum DX3R with SR3000 Rx. Lights 1-2 and 6-7 lights up after calibration and even with setting the ESC back to default. Do i really have to use the Tekin Hotwire to set the type of motor as the manual says? Thing is I don't have a Hotwire with me. Can anything be done without using the Hotwire?
pk4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 08:36 AM   #23246
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pk4 View Post
Can someone pls help me out.... I have a RS Pro ESC along with Nosram 13.5 sensored motor and with Spektrum DX3R with SR3000 Rx. Lights 1-2 and 6-7 lights up after calibration and even with setting the ESC back to default. Do i really have to use the Tekin Hotwire to set the type of motor as the manual says? Thing is I don't have a Hotwire with me. Can anything be done without using the Hotwire?

Unfortunately bro, this means internal circuitry failure. Most common cause is from hooking up a battery backwards. The only repair is to send it back to tekin.
Old 07-04-2013, 09:02 AM   #23247
Tech Master

Quote:
Everything could be adjusted w/o the Hotwire. Hotwire good when you're adjusting Turbo or boost.

Go into Pit Mode, Adjustment Mode or Blinky Mode. Adjustment Mode LED6, set the LED to #1(FWD/BK). Let ESC to chime. Believe you may Calibrate your Before setting to Blinky Mode.

Hotwire opens up files that the Blinky mode doesn't, Turbo and boost. Learn about RS Blinky mode first then the Hotwire. Its easier the way.
Old 07-04-2013, 10:34 AM   #23248
pk4
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Quote:
Everything could be adjusted w/o the Hotwire. Hotwire good when you're adjusting Turbo or boost.

Go into Pit Mode, Adjustment Mode or Blinky Mode. Adjustment Mode LED6, set the LED to #1(FWD/BK). Let ESC to chime. Believe you may Calibrate your Before setting to Blinky Mode.

Hotwire opens up files that the Blinky mode doesn't, Turbo and boost. Learn about RS Blinky mode first then the Hotwire. Its easier the way.
I did this method but still 1-2 & 6-7 lights up. Prior to this problem, everything works well. And reverse polarity upon connecting to a battery didn't happen. Anymore suggestions?
pk4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 11:14 AM   #23249
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Quote:
I did this method but still 1-2 & 6-7 lights up. Prior to this problem, everything works well. And reverse polarity upon connecting to a battery didn't happen. Anymore suggestions?
According to Tekin's Troubleshooting Page, the esc does not recognize the motor. It could be set to brushed in the esc when a brushless motor is connected. If the esc is set to brushless, then it's possible to have a defective sensor board on the motor. Make sure the esc is set to the right motor (brushed or brushless), if it is, then try wiring up another motor that you know for sure works.
Old 07-08-2013, 07:55 PM   #23250
Tech Master

I use an RS for 17.5 blinky and it still has version 212 software. I was on Tekin's site but didn't see where to get the newest version.Is it still possible to upgrade the old RS? Would it be worth it?