R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-30-2012, 02:42 PM   #22816
Tech Addict
 
mysupratoy94's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Sunny California
Posts: 733
Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to mysupratoy94
Default

Hello Everyone. Im having issues on my sons losi 22 bugy and my associated sc10. Im running a Teking RsPro and son a RS. Buggy has a 17.5 and im running a 7.5 motor. Both Tekins are running on the latest version software.

Problem is... when i try to adjust the slipper clutch Im getting cogging from the motor... like a stutering sound. Im holding down both tires, tighting the nut until I get a lift on the fronts. It goes from a slipping sound to eventually a cogging sound and no lift.

I replaced my sensor wire, motor and slipper pads and same thing. Only conclusion i can think of is our ESC. Buggy and SC run great, they only make that cogging sound when adjust the clutch.

Im not very familiar with how to setup the Tekin with the hotwire. Ive pretty much just set it up with defaults and as for timing I have it down to minimum. Which throttle profile should I run? Maybe its a setup im running thats causing the problem?
mysupratoy94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 02:52 PM   #22817
Tech Fanatic
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 972
Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default

Are you running a lot of endbell timing?
Steve S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 02:58 PM   #22818
Tech Addict
 
mysupratoy94's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Sunny California
Posts: 733
Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to mysupratoy94
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve S View Post
Are you running a lot of endbell timing?
Is End bell timing on the motor? Sorry for the newbie question. If so, on my sons motor Is set pretty low and on my motor... theres no timing on motor.
mysupratoy94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 03:10 PM   #22819
Tech Master
 
YoDog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Lompoc, Ca.
Posts: 1,675
Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mysupratoy94 View Post
Hello Everyone. Im having issues on my sons losi 22 bugy and my associated sc10. Im running a Teking RsPro and son a RS. Buggy has a 17.5 and im running a 7.5 motor. Both Tekins are running on the latest version software.

Problem is... when i try to adjust the slipper clutch Im getting cogging from the motor... like a stutering sound. Im holding down both tires, tighting the nut until I get a lift on the fronts. It goes from a slipping sound to eventually a cogging sound and no lift.

I replaced my sensor wire, motor and slipper pads and same thing. Only conclusion i can think of is our ESC. Buggy and SC run great, they only make that cogging sound when adjust the clutch.

Im not very familiar with how to setup the Tekin with the hotwire. Ive pretty much just set it up with defaults and as for timing I have it down to minimum. Which throttle profile should I run? Maybe its a setup im running thats causing the problem?
Under the setup tab in the HotWire program make sure that the check box for "sensored" is checked to be sure that you are running in "sensored" mode. If not, the motor may cog at low RPM. "Dual" mode is supposed to provide motor sensing until a certain RPM is reached and then switch to sensorless. I think the Tekin speedos are set to "Dual" by default. "Sensored" would be better.
The Tekin website has a nice Hotwire page that explains all of the settings in detail.

http://www.teamtekin.com/hotwire_RS.html
YoDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 03:57 PM   #22820
Tech Addict
 
mysupratoy94's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Sunny California
Posts: 733
Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to mysupratoy94
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoDog View Post
Under the setup tab in the HotWire program make sure that the check box for "sensored" is checked to be sure that you are running in "sensored" mode. If not, the motor may cog at low RPM. "Dual" mode is supposed to provide motor sensing until a certain RPM is reached and then switch to sensorless. I think the Tekin speedos are set to "Dual" by default. "Sensored" would be better.
The Tekin website has a nice Hotwire page that explains all of the settings in detail.

http://www.teamtekin.com/hotwire_RS.html
I know for a fact I have it on dual mode. Always thought dual mode was good just incase your sensor wire happened to snap out of place while on a race or something... it would still run. Ill try sensored mode and see what happens.
mysupratoy94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 04:38 PM   #22821
Team Tekin
 
Randy_Pike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Norcal
Posts: 9,702
Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to Randy_Pike
Default

@mysupratoy94 There's answers to this in the RS offroad thread

But the guys are right...you're basically "banging" the sensors while it's attempting to go into sensorless drive. Swapping over to sensored mode will correct the issue.
__________________
"Things may come to those who wait, but only the things left by those who hustle." Abraham Lincoln

Tekin,Protek,A-Main Hobbies,JConcepts,Avid RC,Yokomo,MIP,SikLidz,FactoryRC, www.randypikerc.com
Randy_Pike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 04:59 PM   #22822
Tech Addict
 
mysupratoy94's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Sunny California
Posts: 733
Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to mysupratoy94
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy_Pike View Post
@mysupratoy94 There's answers to this in the RS offroad thread

But the guys are right...you're basically "banging" the sensors while it's attempting to go into sensorless drive. Swapping over to sensored mode will correct the issue.
Sorry guys, I did a search for Tekin Rs and this thread came up. Thought it would be the right spot for Tekin questions. Ill check that thread out though. I have received some great tips here so im going to try all those recomendations when I get home. Thanks
mysupratoy94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 10:09 AM   #22823
Tech Rookie
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Australia
Posts: 13
Default Shattered rotor

Hi Guys. Just after some advice. I have run off-road electric for a few years now but have started to do a bit of on-road as the club has both types of track. Anyway I just got myself a redline 4.5t to run in my Serpent 411 with a RS pro, as the 17.5 class has died and everyone is now running Modified. It was so fast, i couldnt believe it! Anyway i only ran 4 races before I had some pinion/spur drama's and ended up destroying the spur gear when the pinion loosened and moved on the shaft. I got a new spur and have just fitted it but found the motor wouldnt turn and felt really weird, so I took the motor out and ive found the rotor has shattered inside the stator! The motor was geared 7.4:1 and I think it was running about 40deg boost with turbo 13 and the newest software, motor timing was 12deg. Temps had been only about 40-50C (110-130F) after a run. The track is quite long as it was built for 1/8 nitro. Any Ideas why this may have happened? Did it rev too high or was the rotor maybe a dodgy part? Also does anyone know if i can replace the rotor with one out of a 17.5 redline? I know the stock motor has a 12.5mm rotor and the 4.5t a 13mm, will it still work? and should i do this given what happened to the other rotor?
cheers
willo76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 10:14 AM   #22824
Team Tekin
 
TY@TEAMTEKIN's Avatar
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Tekin
Posts: 2,461
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by willo76 View Post
Hi Guys. Just after some advice. I have run off-road electric for a few years now but have started to do a bit of on-road as the club has both types of track. Anyway I just got myself a redline 4.5t to run in my Serpent 411 with a RS pro, as the 17.5 class has died and everyone is now running Modified. It was so fast, i couldnt believe it! Anyway i only ran 4 races before I had some pinion/spur drama's and ended up destroying the spur gear when the pinion loosened and moved on the shaft. I got a new spur and have just fitted it but found the motor wouldnt turn and felt really weird, so I took the motor out and ive found the rotor has shattered inside the stator! The motor was geared 7.4:1 and I think it was running about 40deg boost with turbo 13 and the newest software, motor timing was 12deg. Temps had been only about 40-50C (110-130F) after a run. The track is quite long as it was built for 1/8 nitro. Any Ideas why this may have happened? Did it rev too high or was the rotor maybe a dodgy part? Also does anyone know if i can replace the rotor with one out of a 17.5 redline? I know the stock motor has a 12.5mm rotor and the 4.5t a 13mm, will it still work? and should i do this given what happened to the other rotor?
cheers
It will fit, but you will lose some torque since it is a smaller rotor. Mod onroad really pushes things to the limits!
__________________
Ty Campbell
TEKIN / TLR / SOR GRAPHICS / MIP / PROTEK / KALGARD / AVID
TY@TEAMTEKIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 10:19 AM   #22825
Tech Master
 
YoDog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Lompoc, Ca.
Posts: 1,675
Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by willo76 View Post
Hi Guys. Just after some advice. I have run off-road electric for a few years now but have started to do a bit of on-road as the club has both types of track. Anyway I just got myself a redline 4.5t to run in my Serpent 411 with a RS pro, as the 17.5 class has died and everyone is now running Modified. It was so fast, i couldnt believe it! Anyway i only ran 4 races before I had some pinion/spur drama's and ended up destroying the spur gear when the pinion loosened and moved on the shaft. I got a new spur and have just fitted it but found the motor wouldnt turn and felt really weird, so I took the motor out and ive found the rotor has shattered inside the stator! The motor was geared 7.4:1 and I think it was running about 40deg boost with turbo 13 and the newest software, motor timing was 12deg. Temps had been only about 40-50C (110-130F) after a run. The track is quite long as it was built for 1/8 nitro. Any Ideas why this may have happened? Did it rev too high or was the rotor maybe a dodgy part? Also does anyone know if i can replace the rotor with one out of a 17.5 redline? I know the stock motor has a 12.5mm rotor and the 4.5t a 13mm, will it still work? and should i do this given what happened to the other rotor?
cheers
That's a lot of timing advance for a 4.5t motor. You probably over reved it.
the smaller rotor should handle the higher RPM that you are hitting on such a large track better. If you wish to continue to run mod, I would suggest getting a couple of different motors. Perhaps a 5.5t and a 6.5t in order to figure out the best combination.
YoDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 10:21 AM   #22826
Tech Rookie
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Australia
Posts: 13
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
It will fit, but you will lose some torque since it is a smaller rotor. Mod onroad really pushes things to the limits!
Great. Thanks.

Yeh you're right about that everything on the car is taking a beating compared to 17.5 class!

Do you think my setup was over reving the motor though for this to happen, it was only the 1st day id run it?
willo76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 10:30 AM   #22827
Tech Master
 
YoDog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Lompoc, Ca.
Posts: 1,675
Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mysupratoy94 View Post
I know for a fact I have it on dual mode. Always thought dual mode was good just incase your sensor wire happened to snap out of place while on a race or something... it would still run. Ill try sensored mode and see what happens.
When in sensored mode, you will want to set the timing advanced slider all the way to 100 as the speedo will default to this setting should the sensor circuit fail for some reason. It's the first slider on the timing page.
YoDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 10:35 AM   #22828
Tech Master
 
YoDog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Lompoc, Ca.
Posts: 1,675
Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by willo76 View Post
Great. Thanks.

Yeh you're right about that everything on the car is taking a beating compared to 17.5 class!

Do you think my setup was over revving the motor though for this to happen, it was only the 1st day id run it?
I actually run my 4.5t in dual mode and adjust the timing advance slider and RPM range until I get the desired performance.
Very simple setup and works well.
YoDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 02:44 AM   #22829
Tech Fanatic
 
ogreasurada's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: SZ-China
Posts: 848
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

I'm running a 17.5 motor on F104, how do you guys determine the Boost at End RPM? I see a lot of settings at 20016. Is it usually the limit? Also, what is the "Advanced" button for as it is disabled?

Last edited by ogreasurada; 09-01-2012 at 03:06 AM.
ogreasurada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 09:07 AM   #22830
Tech Regular
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 352
Trader Rating: 2 (75%+)
Default

Well preparing to send in my smoked tekin. Can't believe I finally get scammed on Rctech by buying a non working tekin.
fung_kyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Tekin Redline RS Sensored ESC and motors, opinions for offroad? Cain Electric Off-Road 4230 06-07-2015 04:38 PM
Sensored vs. Sensorless lemansracer Electric On-Road 71 02-14-2009 03:19 AM
New Tekin Redline Sensored Motors are Roar Legal! Randy_Pike Electric On-Road 3 08-05-2008 02:08 AM
Tekin Redline Sensored 10.5 HUCKMAN Electric On-Road 6 07-15-2008 08:50 PM
sensored vs sensorless bprocket Rookie Zone 5 05-16-2008 09:38 AM


Tags
v203, vegas 2.0


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 09:02 AM.


Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net