Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Tekin RS ESC sensored

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2012, 01:42 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Hello Everyone. Im having issues on my sons losi 22 bugy and my associated sc10. Im running a Teking RsPro and son a RS. Buggy has a 17.5 and im running a 7.5 motor. Both Tekins are running on the latest version software.

Problem is... when i try to adjust the slipper clutch Im getting cogging from the motor... like a stutering sound. Im holding down both tires, tighting the nut until I get a lift on the fronts. It goes from a slipping sound to eventually a cogging sound and no lift.

I replaced my sensor wire, motor and slipper pads and same thing. Only conclusion i can think of is our ESC. Buggy and SC run great, they only make that cogging sound when adjust the clutch.

Im not very familiar with how to setup the Tekin with the hotwire. Ive pretty much just set it up with defaults and as for timing I have it down to minimum. Which throttle profile should I run? Maybe its a setup im running thats causing the problem?
Old 08-30-2012, 01:52 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Are you running a lot of endbell timing?
Old 08-30-2012, 01:58 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Steve S
Are you running a lot of endbell timing?
Is End bell timing on the motor? Sorry for the newbie question. If so, on my sons motor Is set pretty low and on my motor... theres no timing on motor.
Old 08-30-2012, 02:10 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

Originally Posted by mysupratoy94
Hello Everyone. Im having issues on my sons losi 22 bugy and my associated sc10. Im running a Teking RsPro and son a RS. Buggy has a 17.5 and im running a 7.5 motor. Both Tekins are running on the latest version software.

Problem is... when i try to adjust the slipper clutch Im getting cogging from the motor... like a stutering sound. Im holding down both tires, tighting the nut until I get a lift on the fronts. It goes from a slipping sound to eventually a cogging sound and no lift.

I replaced my sensor wire, motor and slipper pads and same thing. Only conclusion i can think of is our ESC. Buggy and SC run great, they only make that cogging sound when adjust the clutch.

Im not very familiar with how to setup the Tekin with the hotwire. Ive pretty much just set it up with defaults and as for timing I have it down to minimum. Which throttle profile should I run? Maybe its a setup im running thats causing the problem?
Under the setup tab in the HotWire program make sure that the check box for "sensored" is checked to be sure that you are running in "sensored" mode. If not, the motor may cog at low RPM. "Dual" mode is supposed to provide motor sensing until a certain RPM is reached and then switch to sensorless. I think the Tekin speedos are set to "Dual" by default. "Sensored" would be better.
The Tekin website has a nice Hotwire page that explains all of the settings in detail.

http://www.teamtekin.com/hotwire_RS.html
Old 08-30-2012, 02:57 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by YoDog
Under the setup tab in the HotWire program make sure that the check box for "sensored" is checked to be sure that you are running in "sensored" mode. If not, the motor may cog at low RPM. "Dual" mode is supposed to provide motor sensing until a certain RPM is reached and then switch to sensorless. I think the Tekin speedos are set to "Dual" by default. "Sensored" would be better.
The Tekin website has a nice Hotwire page that explains all of the settings in detail.

http://www.teamtekin.com/hotwire_RS.html
I know for a fact I have it on dual mode. Always thought dual mode was good just incase your sensor wire happened to snap out of place while on a race or something... it would still run. Ill try sensored mode and see what happens.
Old 08-30-2012, 03:38 PM
Team Tekin

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

@mysupratoy94 There's answers to this in the RS offroad thread

But the guys are right...you're basically "banging" the sensors while it's attempting to go into sensorless drive. Swapping over to sensored mode will correct the issue.
Old 08-30-2012, 03:59 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Randy_Pike
@mysupratoy94 There's answers to this in the RS offroad thread

But the guys are right...you're basically "banging" the sensors while it's attempting to go into sensorless drive. Swapping over to sensored mode will correct the issue.
Sorry guys, I did a search for Tekin Rs and this thread came up. Thought it would be the right spot for Tekin questions. Ill check that thread out though. I have received some great tips here so im going to try all those recomendations when I get home. Thanks
Old 08-31-2012, 09:09 AM
Tech Rookie

Default Shattered rotor

Hi Guys. Just after some advice. I have run off-road electric for a few years now but have started to do a bit of on-road as the club has both types of track. Anyway I just got myself a redline 4.5t to run in my Serpent 411 with a RS pro, as the 17.5 class has died and everyone is now running Modified. It was so fast, i couldnt believe it! Anyway i only ran 4 races before I had some pinion/spur drama's and ended up destroying the spur gear when the pinion loosened and moved on the shaft. I got a new spur and have just fitted it but found the motor wouldnt turn and felt really weird, so I took the motor out and ive found the rotor has shattered inside the stator! The motor was geared 7.4:1 and I think it was running about 40deg boost with turbo 13 and the newest software, motor timing was 12deg. Temps had been only about 40-50C (110-130F) after a run. The track is quite long as it was built for 1/8 nitro. Any Ideas why this may have happened? Did it rev too high or was the rotor maybe a dodgy part? Also does anyone know if i can replace the rotor with one out of a 17.5 redline? I know the stock motor has a 12.5mm rotor and the 4.5t a 13mm, will it still work? and should i do this given what happened to the other rotor?
cheers
Old 08-31-2012, 09:14 AM
Team Tekin

Originally Posted by willo76
Hi Guys. Just after some advice. I have run off-road electric for a few years now but have started to do a bit of on-road as the club has both types of track. Anyway I just got myself a redline 4.5t to run in my Serpent 411 with a RS pro, as the 17.5 class has died and everyone is now running Modified. It was so fast, i couldnt believe it! Anyway i only ran 4 races before I had some pinion/spur drama's and ended up destroying the spur gear when the pinion loosened and moved on the shaft. I got a new spur and have just fitted it but found the motor wouldnt turn and felt really weird, so I took the motor out and ive found the rotor has shattered inside the stator! The motor was geared 7.4:1 and I think it was running about 40deg boost with turbo 13 and the newest software, motor timing was 12deg. Temps had been only about 40-50C (110-130F) after a run. The track is quite long as it was built for 1/8 nitro. Any Ideas why this may have happened? Did it rev too high or was the rotor maybe a dodgy part? Also does anyone know if i can replace the rotor with one out of a 17.5 redline? I know the stock motor has a 12.5mm rotor and the 4.5t a 13mm, will it still work? and should i do this given what happened to the other rotor?
cheers
It will fit, but you will lose some torque since it is a smaller rotor. Mod onroad really pushes things to the limits!
Old 08-31-2012, 09:19 AM
Tech Elite

cheers
That's a lot of timing advance for a 4.5t motor. You probably over reved it.
the smaller rotor should handle the higher RPM that you are hitting on such a large track better. If you wish to continue to run mod, I would suggest getting a couple of different motors. Perhaps a 5.5t and a 6.5t in order to figure out the best combination.
Old 08-31-2012, 09:21 AM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by TY@TEAMTEKIN
It will fit, but you will lose some torque since it is a smaller rotor. Mod onroad really pushes things to the limits!
Great. Thanks.

Yeh you're right about that everything on the car is taking a beating compared to 17.5 class!

Do you think my setup was over reving the motor though for this to happen, it was only the 1st day id run it?
Old 08-31-2012, 09:30 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by mysupratoy94
I know for a fact I have it on dual mode. Always thought dual mode was good just incase your sensor wire happened to snap out of place while on a race or something... it would still run. Ill try sensored mode and see what happens.
When in sensored mode, you will want to set the timing advanced slider all the way to 100 as the speedo will default to this setting should the sensor circuit fail for some reason. It's the first slider on the timing page.
Old 08-31-2012, 09:35 AM
Tech Elite

Great. Thanks.

Yeh you're right about that everything on the car is taking a beating compared to 17.5 class!

Do you think my setup was over revving the motor though for this to happen, it was only the 1st day id run it?
I actually run my 4.5t in dual mode and adjust the timing advance slider and RPM range until I get the desired performance.
Very simple setup and works well.
Old 09-01-2012, 01:44 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I'm running a 17.5 motor on F104, how do you guys determine the Boost at End RPM? I see a lot of settings at 20016. Is it usually the limit? Also, what is the "Advanced" button for as it is disabled?

Last edited by ogreasurada; 09-01-2012 at 02:06 AM.
Old 09-04-2012, 08:07 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (75%+)

Well preparing to send in my smoked tekin. Can't believe I finally get scammed on Rctech by buying a non working tekin.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.