R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 07-23-2012, 03:07 AM   #22771
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramas3d View Post
Can anyone advice on tekin rs ESC motor limit. On tekin website it says that this esc support 7.5 and more and my local dealer tries to convince that it supports 4.5 and more. I want to drive modified with 4.5 motor and dont know if i will damage it. I have tried to use 5.5 motor without any timing and boost and after 5 min run on big track i got motor temp +50C and esc temp +72C. Can be and issue that need rs pro esc or this is other thing look at?
If you checked the Tekin website and it says 7.5 then I guess that's your answer. I understand that you don't what to buy a new ESC but I think it is a little late now to be asking these questions.
Ryan H.
Tradin Paint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 03:11 AM   #22772
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramas3d View Post
Can anyone advice on tekin rs ESC motor limit. On tekin website it says that this esc support 7.5 and more and my local dealer tries to convince that it supports 4.5 and more. I want to drive modified with 4.5 motor and dont know if i will damage it. I have tried to use 5.5 motor without any timing and boost and after 5 min run on big track i got motor temp +50C and esc temp +72C. Can be and issue that need rs pro esc or this is other thing look at?
Hi there. your on the limit of what the RS can do, hence why it is getting hot. Personally I would go for the RSPro for anything under 8t JUST for the security and peace of mind your not always loading up the speedo with heat and over doing the fets. The RS will run a 5.5 but as you found your pushing it.

See if you can get an RS Pro then run that mate. You wont be sorry
Jo90uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 04:31 PM   #22773
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Ok I have a few tekin rs speed controls and I have 1 that will not connect to my hotwire... its one I had recently sent in for service has a brand new plug on it but the speedo blinks 1,2 and 7,8 or the first two and last two lights... my other speedos just connect with 1 light and work fine.

Has anyone seen this happen before? I had just put a new receiver in and was trying to get the speedo to reset and it would not find neutral... so I was going to put it on the hotwire and see whats up and it wont connect?
gguertin145 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 04:31 PM   #22774
Tech Addict

Ok I have a few tekin rs speed controls and I have 1 that will not connect to my hotwire... its one I had recently sent in for service has a brand new plug on it but the speedo blinks 1,2 and 7,8 or the first two and last two lights... my other speedos just connect with 1 light and work fine.

Has anyone seen this happen before? I had just put a new receiver in and was trying to get the speedo to reset and it would not find neutral... so I was going to put it on the hotwire and see whats up and it wont connect?
Old 08-01-2012, 05:09 PM   #22775
Team Tekin

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to Randy_Pike

@gguertin145 12 67 fault while plugging in the hotwire could simply be a bad connection to the hotwire. Take a peak inside and make sure you don't have a bent pin in the Hotwire plug.

What radio are you using?

1s or 2s?

Tekin,Protek,A-Main Hobbies,JConcepts,Avid RC,Yokomo,MIP,SikLidz,FactoryRC, www.randypikerc.com
Randy_Pike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 05:15 PM   #22776
Tech Addict

The hotwire plug is good I checked with another tekin to make sure.

I suppose there could be a connection issue on the RS side... I can try re soldering another plug on I just hate having to do that when the plug looks good though

I am using 2s and an m11x.
Old 08-01-2012, 09:23 PM   #22777
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 72 (100%+)

Just wanted to say thank you Tekin your help. If I ever wondered about switching to another brand, now I don't wonder.

Even though I bought my ESC used, didn't have a receipt and it obviously wasn't under warranty, Tekin recently helped me out.

I very much appreciate it and will definitely keep using your products!

Bill
waswadener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 12:28 AM   #22778
Team Tekin

Quote:
Originally Posted by gguertin145 View Post
The hotwire plug is good I checked with another tekin to make sure.

I suppose there could be a connection issue on the RS side... I can try re soldering another plug on I just hate having to do that when the plug looks good though

I am using 2s and an m11x.
If it powers up in the car and operates properly try a factory reset, then re try the Hotwire.

Tekin,Protek,A-Main Hobbies,JConcepts,Avid RC,Yokomo,MIP,SikLidz,FactoryRC, www.randypikerc.com
Old 08-02-2012, 05:29 AM   #22779
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Hi, I have send my speedo to for repair but havent heard from them long time, how can I know updates
Nuno Gancho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 09:12 AM   #22780
Team Tekin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuno Gancho View Post
Hi, I have send my speedo to for repair but havent heard from them long time, how can I know updates
contact [email protected] with your name and RMA #.

Old 08-02-2012, 02:21 PM   #22781
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

i have a question. what does the power capacitor do for the rs speed control? can you have more than one connected to it?
wait a minute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 07:25 PM   #22782
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default A little love for the Apple users in the world

Randy
I assume the iPhone/iPad App for the Hotwire is a lost cause. Is there any hope for a software version that is compatible with Mac? My Hotwire is the only reason i still have a PC Laptop
Ryan H.
Tradin Paint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 07:52 PM   #22783
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 217 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wait a minute View Post
i have a question. what does the power capacitor do for the rs speed control? can you have more than one connected to it?
The cap must be installed not only for keeping the esc cool but to handle ripple currents on the battery line that can cause damage to the esc. More than one is not necessary unless running a hotter wind than recommended.
Andy Koback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 02:11 AM   #22784
Tech Apprentice

I wouldnt ever recommend running a hotter wind than recommended, no matter how many caps you have installed.

The cap is there to predominantly soak up discharge when you hit the brakes. this keeps the brake fets cooler as there are less of them. More caps do not necessarilly meen you have more power, but if you are using a low wind mod (on an RSPro) you could go to 2 caps if you find your brakes seem to fade later into a race. This is info that was supplied to me by Tekin, so it is sound advice.
Jo90uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 09:27 AM   #22785
Team Tekin

@Tradin Paint Never say never... We are in mad development mode right now...