R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 01-22-2009, 02:08 PM   #2161
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryN View Post
(and after a friend at the track told me to go into sensored mode...thanks Chris) and some settings he recommended, oh man my car was FLYING!!!! Run time definitely went up and my motor felt a lot better.
You're welcome Harry. I think we've done a good job getting most people on a Tekin RS at our track. Once the gearing and boost was right a lot of people seen how fast the car was on the strait and infield. I think Mimi sold out of her stock of RS's within a couple days.

We'll see how well all us local racers with our Tekins do next month when the North East Grand Slam comes to our local track for the last race. Then after that I'll throw it down up at the carpet Nationals =).

I want to see how it stacks up vs the KO at our track but none of the KO sponsored guys have the hand held unit yet so they are still running the old LRP's.
ChristopherKee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 02:10 PM   #2162
Team Tekin

Sounds like you have done a nice job of checking everything out and it may be damaged. Since other speedos took the same software and work well with the same equipment it sounds like this may be faulty. Likely a solder joint or cracked component since it comes and goes and we could have missed it testing here. We will get another unit headed your way. We can handle the details by email.
Tekin Prez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 02:16 PM   #2163
Team Tekin

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryN View Post
This is true. I was having issues at first with 189 Dual Mode. The power seemed quite weak for my liking.
We still really like dual mode in many applications. Sensorless simply does not have enough timing advance ability for the spec motors. 13.5 and up you really need a lot of timing and do seem slow and weak in dual mode unless you add a ton of gear and then it is closer. Lots of timing still has more rip. Below 10.5 the dual mode with 50 to 100 in the timing is pretty nice.
Old 01-22-2009, 02:28 PM   #2164
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamTekin View Post
Sounds like you have done a nice job of checking everything out and it may be damaged. Since other speedos took the same software and work well with the same equipment it sounds like this may be faulty. Likely a solder joint or cracked component since it comes and goes and we could have missed it testing here. We will get another unit headed your way. We can handle the details by email.
Thanks Jim,

Must i send you my adres or do you still have it?
Tekin Redline 10,5
Protoform LTC-R
mikky32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 02:39 PM   #2165
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to HarryN

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamTekin View Post
We still really like dual mode in many applications. Sensorless simply does not have enough timing advance ability for the spec motors. 13.5 and up you really need a lot of timing and do seem slow and weak in dual mode unless you add a ton of gear and then it is closer. Lots of timing still has more rip. Below 10.5 the dual mode with 50 to 100 in the timing is pretty nice.
Hey Tekin,

I am running a 21.5 NOVAK motor in my Trans Am car (HPI Pro 4). The sensored mode really showed massive response from the motor as well as the speed and better drain on the battery, than it was in Dual Mode. But now, with my AVID on the way, I have another Tekin RS Pro ready for that car and a Tekin Redline 13.5 motor set for the AVID. I can give Dual Mode a shot and hopefully Chris's trained eye can help me decide on whether Dual Mode under version 189 is as decent as you describe.

We'll keep you guys posted!

Again, I am definitely glad to run Tekin products again. Life feels...complete! I know you guys were out of the R/C scene for a while until you guys bounced back into the market and really set yourselves back to where you left it.
Cars For Sale: FG 08-530 EVO w/ Sport Brakes!
Track(s): http://www.rctrack.com
HarryN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 04:13 PM   #2166
Team Tekin

To Clarify... sensored only mode with 10.5 and slower motors. Motor physical timing plus boost equal to 25 or 30 on the 13.5 motor. Might sneak a little higher in some applications. Heat is always King! start low and work up on timing and gearing till you find the sweet spot. Motors vary and tight track vs sweeping track can make a big difference.

5deg below the sweet spot is not much slower... 5deg past the sweet spot temps can skyrocket, add overgeared and things get bad fast.

Mod motors need less timing and are more sensitive to small timing changes. Dual mode allows consistent and accurate timing at the lower levels for best performance with lower turn motors.

Last edited by Tekin Prez; 01-22-2009 at 05:30 PM.
Old 01-22-2009, 11:13 PM   #2167
Tech Adept

Hello,

What setup would i use on an RS with 1.89 using an orion 13.5, and what FDR?

Thanks Ya`All
MoonTrap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 07:54 AM   #2168
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy_Pike View Post
Grant,

Yeah run the novak fully timed.
Pardon, the really dumb question. How do you adjust the timing on the Novak brushless motors. I have a couple different ones (21.5, 17.5, 13.5 and a 5.5) and never noticed a place to adjust the timing like on the Redline motors. Unless by fully timed you mean through the software?

I plan on picking up my RS/17.5 combo this weekend. Now I just need a place to get the 1.89 software.

Thanks!
Old School Losi JRx Pro
Previous Rides: B44, RC18MT, RDX PHI, FT RC18T, RC8, TC5(2), RC8T :(
cutjo3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 08:09 AM   #2169
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 16 (94%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutjo3 View Post
Pardon, the really dumb question. How do you adjust the timing on the Novak brushless motors. I have a couple different ones (21.5, 17.5, 13.5 and a 5.5) and never noticed a place to adjust the timing like on the Redline motors.

All Novak Brushless motors have adjustable timing. Loosen the 3x 1/16" screws on the endbell (where the sensor harness is) and then move the black or colored timing ring on the more. The timing ring is plastic, and has a few notches in it going around the motor. The ring will move about 1/4" in either direction, retard and advance. When done, re-tighten all 3x screws.
kn7671 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 08:18 AM   #2170
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)
Default Thank You

Thanks kn7671, that makes sense now. I wonder how many times I may have adjusted the timing unknowingly while tinkering when replacing a bad rotor now and then? Oh well.
Old School Losi JRx Pro
Previous Rides: B44, RC18MT, RDX PHI, FT RC18T, RC8, TC5(2), RC8T :(
cutjo3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 08:30 AM   #2171
Tech Master

Will there come more timing on the Tekin?
Now with the 189 there is 45 max
The genius120 has 30/+30 and 15 just like the 15 in the Tekin.
Will thatt also come for the Tekin?
Tekin Redline 10,5
Protoform LTC-R
Old 01-23-2009, 10:54 AM   #2172
Team Tekin

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to Randy_Pike

Currently we offer more timing that you should EVER need to put towards a motor. Most of team has settled around 10-15 degrees of boost with anything higher than that simply creating heat and no more power.

Tekin,Protek,A-Main Hobbies,JConcepts,Avid RC,Yokomo,MIP,SikLidz,FactoryRC, www.randypikerc.com
Randy_Pike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 11:07 AM   #2173
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 150 (99%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kn7671 View Post

All Novak Brushless motors have adjustable timing. Loosen the 3x 1/16" screws on the endbell (where the sensor harness is) and then move the black or colored timing ring on the more. The timing ring is plastic, and has a few notches in it going around the motor. The ring will move about 1/4" in either direction, retard and advance. When done, re-tighten all 3x screws.
There is no scale on the motor and changing the timing actually bends the wires inside the motor which over time cause stress fractures and even shorts. Because of this most consider the novak motors "non adjustable" as most motors today with adjustable timing only spin the hall sensor board and not the whole endbell.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikky32 View Post
Will there come more timing on the Tekin?
Now with the 189 there is 45 max
The genius120 has 30/+30 and 15 just like the 15 in the Tekin.
Will thatt also come for the Tekin?
The only reason you would need more timing is if you have a sensored motor that is locked at zero degrees. Every major motor (that has "locked" timing) has some timing advance built in around 10 to 15 degrees. Adding 10 to 45 gives you 55 degree's and there is no reason to have any more than that even with a 21.5. Tekin motors adjust from 0 to 24, so the max total timing you could have is 69 degrees. At that point you will have severe stuttering and scorching temps as the motor is practically in the next phase.
Old 01-23-2009, 11:11 AM   #2174
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 26 (96%+)

If you worried about having enough power then get a 3.5 & lower your throtle epa to suit your needs.
party_wagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 12:50 PM   #2175
Tech Master

10,5 speedpassion with 0 timing.
so all the extra timing will help on long tracks.
Tekin Redline 10,5
Protoform LTC-R