R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 12-14-2011, 01:48 PM   #21466
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by syndr0me View Post
And I agree, where's the outcry against ORCA? If races aren't going to follow ROAR's rules, why wouldn't ESC manufacturers try to sneak in a little timing to keep up with the other cheaters. It punishes them for doing the right thing.
Not to hyjack a thread (and not aimed at syndr0me), but why do people keep bringing up Orca and their illegal blinky software? Illegal by whom? Roar? IIC isn't a Roar race. This situation is crazy. The same people that complain when Roar makes rules are the ones who complain that every race should follow them.
"Desire is the key to motivation, but it's the determination and commitment to an unrelenting pursuit of laying it down - a commitment to excellence - that will enable you to attain the success you seek to beat ass."

-Espo
Xpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 01:51 PM   #21467
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xpress View Post
Not to hyjack a thread (and not aimed at syndr0me), but why do people keep bringing up Orca and their illegal blinky software? Illegal by whom? Roar? IIC isn't a Roar race. This situation is crazy. The same people that complain when Roar makes rules are the ones who complain that every race should follow them.

(loud applause from the gallery!)+1
You are defined in life by how you respond to defeat!
hairy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 01:57 PM   #21468
Team EAM

Trader Rating: 79 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to EAMotorsports

Quote:
Not to hyjack a thread (and not aimed at syndr0me), but why do people keep bringing up Orca and their illegal blinky software? Illegal by whom? Roar? IIC isn't a Roar race.
Your right it wasnt....but it was using the ROAR approval list for Blinky classes for software I believe he posted somewhere before the event. They used all the normal ROAR rules like all other races do too.

Your right though...back to Tekin talk!

EA
EAMotorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 01:58 PM   #21469
Team EAM

Trader Rating: 79 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to EAMotorsports

Quote:
Originally Posted by hairy View Post

(loud applause from the gallery!)+1
Mike....Get your butt up to Thunder to race on the new track! Its awesome and 12th scale friendly now!

EA
EAMotorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 02:05 PM   #21470
Tech Adept

Default 17.5T setup

I like some help with my esc setup if its possible to tweek it futher?
No problem with motor heat after 5min race.
This is what Im racing

Car: Kyosho TF-5 Shin
Tire: Rubber Slick Sorex 28
Gear ratio: 5.99:1 - 6.59:1
Battery: 2S 45C Lipo
Motor: Novak Ballistic 17.5T (Stock timing)
ESC: Tekin RS Pro
Track: Carpet indoor medium grip medium size

Current Version: 212
Brushless Forward Only with Brake
Voltage Cutoff: 2S
Drive Mode: Sensored Only
Motor Direction: Normal
Throttle Profile: 5
Current Limit: 90
Throttle Min: 5
Drag Break: Off
Brake Strength: 65
Reverse Speed: Off
Neutral Width: 3
Push Control: Off
Brake Min: 0
Timing Advance: 80
Boost: 50
Start/End RPM: 4084/9002
Turbo: Max
Turbo Ramp: 3
Turbo Delay: 0.02
dark_luna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 02:11 PM   #21471
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 73 (100%+)
Wink

Quote:
This is getting rediculous. Welcome to racing anything. Somebody always has a mechanical advantage. It has always been that way and it always will. I think I'm going to have to find room in my hauler bag to pack a box of Kleenex...

and Midol!!
ROAR member #5-120259
www.speedybillsrc.com
www.ovrccc.com
Sweep Racing Tires
speedybill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 02:12 PM   #21472
Team Tekin

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to Randy_Pike

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoDog View Post
You know, I could have sworn, some pages back, that someone was complaining about team drivers running prototype software at big races thus having an unfair advantage over the other non team, but brand supportive drivers. These rumors were strongly denied and dismissed. Now The truth comes out and many drivers are admitting that they ran the new, unreleased software at IIC. So am I getting this wrong or has the cat been let out of the bag?.
None of the team drivers had access to new software at the IIC in any of the spec or blinky classes, period.

New software was being used being tried in other classes. This only changed teh feel and added no power to the setup. We respected the spec and blinky classes and their respective rules.

Tekin,Protek,A-Main Hobbies,JConcepts,Avid RC,Yokomo,MIP,SikLidz,FactoryRC, www.randypikerc.com
Randy_Pike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 02:15 PM   #21473
Team Tekin

Quote:
Originally Posted by syndr0me View Post
I've been trying to figure out why Tekin takes such a beating even though they've probably done more for racers than most companies. Saving us from having to buy $400 BD's with free software should have been enough to win the hearts of all racers from now until eternity. But it hasn't...

I think the previous post kind of sums it up. There's a lot of deception, mistrust, and talking in circles you guys do that rubs people the wrong way. You lack transparency with the way you're handling firmware updates, and contradict yourselves. The perception seems to be that you're outright lying. And that's unfortunate, because for the most part it seems like you're trying to do the right things for racing, but people sure do hate the way you're going about it.
Yeah Rc is funny that way. Transparency was something we did early on, and we ended up educating our competition by doing it. We no longer post data and as much detailed info as we once did. IF that comes with the baggage of being distrusted, so be it.

In the end our users and customers will benefit from the improvements.

Tekin,Protek,A-Main Hobbies,JConcepts,Avid RC,Yokomo,MIP,SikLidz,FactoryRC, www.randypikerc.com
Old 12-14-2011, 02:40 PM   #21474
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

One last thought, then I'll bow out and let you guys get back to it.

If you (or any company*) are influencing the class choices at a big race, like say 17.5 boosted instead of 13.5 blinky, then I think you owe it to other racers at that event not to give your team drivers something that might give them a competitive advantage, and that includes smoothness, since that can greatly affect drivability.

I understand the rules are "open," and that people can choose not to run a class, but that doesn't tell the whole story. If you're taking away a class that would have had rules preventing secret software, and replacing it with a class that allows it, hiding behind the "rules" really isn't acceptable.

This is all entirely my opinion, I have no idea if class choices are being driven by the manufacturers. Everybody knows you guys are the kings of boost. If I were sponsoring a race, I'd definitely try to get a class in there that best showcased my equipment.

*One can't help but speculate that a company banned from ROAR events might have done the same thing to get their stuff legalized.
syndr0me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 02:47 PM   #21475
Tech Master

Since team guys have been testing since October at least, can we expect to see a new version for the public soon?

I'd like to put my RS pro back into my main car I use for boosted, but I'll probably wait until the new software. I've been using an ORCA in boosted classes for most of the year due to the smooth linear throttle. With 212 it is not easy to get the throttle to feel nice and smooth. Sounds like you guys have fixed that, so I'm really looking forward to trying it. Would be nice to get that chassis real estate back too. The killer whale and its quad cap is a bit of a snug fit.
locked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 02:50 PM   #21476
Tech Elite

I don't know about this but I think that track barriers should be banned because I keep hitting them and no matter how much timing I program in the ESC it's still those pesky boards that prevent me from beating the team drivers. Ban the boards.
AreCee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 02:57 PM   #21477
Team Tekin

Quote:
Originally Posted by locked View Post
Since team guys have been testing since October at least, can we expect to see a new version for the public soon?
Yes.

Old 12-14-2011, 02:58 PM   #21478
Tech Apprentice

Hi
Can somebody send me a setup with the rs and a lrp 17,5t bosted
Thank you
Old 12-14-2011, 03:00 PM   #21479
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

@Arecee...Stophitting the boards and try to steer.
It will help you get true the corners

regards Roy
Sponsered by me,myself and i :)
Pro10noob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 03:01 PM   #21480
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by EAMotorsports View Post
You are still missing the point. ITS NOT CHEATING when its in an open class...Period. Check the rules. It says OPEN speedo/software. Blinky classes say LIMITED software. So therefore you can run anything you want in OPEN Classes until a rule is changed for that too (which may be soon enough anyway).

Now for the ORCA thing they DID run unapproved software in a BLINKY class. That is considered cheating.
EA
EA, what's the definition of "open class"?
Is it run anything that you find in your toolbox or run anything that is commercially available? legality aside, if it's anything goes then why not run foams tires in a rubber class? 3 cell rather than just 2? gyros, flux capacitors, rubber bands, hamsters, Photon generators, velcro tire caps, mythical creatures, paperclips, etc...
I'm not trashing Tekin, I love the product which is why it erks me that the tools to improve my chances of performing better are being used by the same Team I support yet these same tools are being used against me because I have been denied access to them. It's not just about weather or not any cheating was going on it's that the rest of us were not able to cheat too. I was wondering, do you pay for your racing? i.e travel, entry fees, equipment? I do...It's just a tough pill to swallow to hear that my chances of finishing better against the other branded equipment are being blocked by the representatives of the same brand I choose to spend my hard earned money on. Maybe not blocked but at the least, hampered.
Who cares about ORCA anyway? They don't have near the presence in the U.S. racing scene as Tekin so why complain. They are nobody in my book. Stupid name too...
YoDog is offline   Reply With Quote