R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 05-17-2008, 11:52 PM   #196
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 67 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by STLNLST View Post
I saw the exact opposite today and regardless of marketing pitch....a heat sink and a fan is needed IMO.
Why did Scotty have a Tekin in his car?

Or was that his car?
Old 05-18-2008, 12:16 AM   #197
Tech Master

ran the rs tooday in 10.5 oval. wow very awesome needed a little different rollout then the LRP but performed awesome. very some speedo and it launched great!!!
davepull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2008, 05:52 AM   #198
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
we'll see what this thing is made of tomorrow at Speedworld. It's triple digits out here and I know one will be run in mod and the other in 13.5 I will be running my trusty Novak baby!!!! Track temps should be high 150's. .............stay tuned.
slap a 3.5 to the novak and see how trusty it is... that thing is the god of thermal shutdowns when used with the novak motors.
Toughbeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2008, 07:06 AM   #199
Tech Adept

Quote:
Most racers don't know how to gear their motors so be it NOVAK or Tekin you are still going to have over heating problems.
I am sure I gear it right. but I am not the feather finger guy to drive it right. I am more into the power grip style of driving. having a record of burned out 3 packs in a day. the amps are just never been enough for my muscle car.
TA05MS, F201, F103GT, RS4 Mini, TopForce (original), Mini Inferno, **Tamiya BMT 931 K4** "I am a new soul, welcome to the new world, so proud to joint the TEAM MORON. lalalala" We love Onions products, so touching. COL - cry out loud
zenithrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2008, 07:46 AM   #200
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Last edited by STLNLST; 05-18-2008 at 05:06 PM.
STLNLST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2008, 07:59 AM   #201
Tech Champion

Last edited by STLNLST; 05-18-2008 at 05:05 PM.
Old 05-18-2008, 08:03 AM   #202
Tech Champion

Last edited by STLNLST; 05-18-2008 at 05:05 PM.
Old 05-18-2008, 02:01 PM   #203
mo
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

If your just trying to be so helpfull, I hope you went into the LRP thread and told them about units thermaling yesterday too. I was torture testing the RS, seeing if I could get away with overgearing a 4.0 instead of going to a 3.5. It worked great until the track temp hit 150f. Then, yes I did thermal with about 30 seconds left and Lex, who was running an LRP TC with that big heatsink and fan on it, runing the same motor and gearing, thermaled about 5 seconds after I did. I'd say that's pretty good with no heatsink and just a small fan blowing on the posts. As for Scotty's problem, I think there might be something else wrong with that unit. It definately did not thermal with his 13.5. I checked the heat on it after almost all of his runs and it only had 4 lights lit. I will be talking to Jim about what it was doing and we will see what was going on.
Old 05-18-2008, 02:25 PM   #204
Tech Master

Quote:
That's what I run and no thermals so next question. I have yest to see a 3.5 hooked up to the Tekin cause it's thermaling with other motors. Like I posted before GEARING is key with any speedo. If you're heavy on the throtle you need to adjust your gearing. I'm not trying to turn this into a bash of Tekin products bro. Just pointing out some things that I saw during the testing. Do I plan on running one....no.

I run for Novak but that doesn't matter. My homies run for Tekin and we all help each other out whenever we can. Mo is hands down is the best guy that they can have running for them in this area due to his relationship with all the racers and knowledge he's gathered over the years. He is putting this thing through the ringer and also gave one to a racer in 13.5 so that all the testing wouldn't be done in mod. If reporting what I saw gets you loyal Tekin guys all bothered then I'll stop because it doesn't help me at all. I'll just sit back and wait for you guys to run into simular situations and post your concerns on the thread to the powers that be. Good luck and happy racing.

Ok dude. You run for Novak but no matter how you sugar coat it your bashing our products. = not cool. do us all a favor and SYFBM.
davepull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2008, 04:10 PM   #205
Tech Champion

Last edited by STLNLST; 05-18-2008 at 05:04 PM.
Old 05-18-2008, 08:38 PM   #206
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I know that this may sound a little weird for a Tekin team guy to say, but...
I haven't really gotten that Stlnst is "bashing" our product. He may be a Team something guy (Novak, LRP, etc.) but I simply take his observations that in extreme conditions like 150 degrees F track temps we need to use a fan and maybe some type of light heat sink as just that, observations. If they are accurate then he is simply telling the truth. I did not gather that he was saying that in "normal" racing conditions (60 - 120 degrees?) with low turn mod motors that the RS Pro will need to do this.

150 degree (F) is probably higher than what 75% - 85% of people who race on asphalt are likely to see on a regular basis and no one on indoor carpet (as much of America races during the fall and winter) will see ANYTHING like this. Therefore if we have to go a little out of our norm to cover that extreme then cool. In my opinion having to do a little extra for more extreme situations is a perfectly acceptable practice and is the norm in many other industries (having an accessory to aide in unusual conditions). This doesn't tarnish our wonderful performance in any way. This is especially true when every other BL ESC on the market that I am aware of also struggles in this type of a scenario. In fact it is actually wonderful that that it takes this type of extreme to force us to do what any number of other esc's have to do at lower temperatures.

Maybe Tekin will come out with some type of really cool "fit on" fin heat sink for the posts just for these crazy type of conditions?

In any case, our RS is a great BL ESC and should definitely be on anyones short list if they are looking to purchase in that category. There are other great BL ESC's also, however I think that our RS makes a compelling statement. Some of the parameters that make the RS great are it really small footprint, its super adjust ability, its very, very smooth and precise throttle response and its durability.

Normally, even for low turn BL modified motors the RS Pro will not need a fan and or heat sink but sometimes it will. Let's just remember that being a great ESC doesn't mean that every unit will always work perfectly, or that we will NEVER be forced to have to use a fan or heat sink. In fact let's not loose sight of the fact that nothing that any mere human being has ever made is absolutely perfect and never will be. There will be failed units and the occasional weird performing ones also, but even at 6 Sigma quality levels there are STILL going to be some bad apples. The Tekin RS/RS Pro is a winner and will only get better.

Last edited by darnold; 05-18-2008 at 09:45 PM.
darnold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2008, 08:53 PM   #207
wyd
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 50 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to wyd

A Tekin Team driver ran the RS this weekend on the offroad track I was at and it seemed to work fine for him. I know he had it in his 2wd mod buggy for sure and I think he might of usedone in his 4wd mod buggy as well. Either case his car worked well for him so the speedo surely didn't hurt him at all. The dad and the son that ran it really liked it alot.
Custom Works (Best Oval Cars around)
wyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 03:15 AM   #208
Tech Master

I don't get what the problem is, Tekin have always said that with mod motors a fan blowing on the posts is required so this is nothing new, if anything an observation of something we all knew.
TRF415boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 06:27 PM   #209
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Got my rs pro in today does anyone have good setup for 12th scale yet?
Old 05-19-2008, 08:15 PM   #210
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

Has anyone ran their RS will a spektrum receiver yet? If so, were you able to run it without the Spektrum capacitor?
or8ital is offline   Reply With Quote