R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-19-2011, 07:59 PM   #20716
Tech Master
 
xrayaustin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: St. Pete
Posts: 1,174
Trader Rating: 12 (93%+)
Send a message via AIM to xrayaustin
Default

could somebody please help me out. i run on a carpet track roughly 100x50 with one end being somewhat open and the other end pretty technical. i seem to be lacking punch out of the corner extremely!! if i pull the trigger coming out of the corner the motor literally feels like a sponge and doesnt feel like the car accelerates at all. on the end of the straight i am lacking top speed as well but not excesively slow as it is on the infield.

i am running 17.5 boosted with a D3 geared at 6.67 and no motor timing coming off around 185-190 and its not fading for anybody that thinks heat is the problem. IT IS SLOW FROM THE OUTLAP!

these are my settings now:
timing boost-50
turbo- 10
rpm range- 4000-16000(not exact numbers)
ramp-2
delay-.08
neutral width- none
throttle and brake minimum-10
brake strength-76
throttle profile-5
push control-none

if anybody could please give me some sugguestions, i could use them
__________________
Www.superiorhobbies.com

2010 cleveland indoor champs and 2011 snowbird nationals 17.5 stock A main winner
xrayaustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 08:29 PM   #20717
Tech Master
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Hagerstown, MD
Posts: 1,699
Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrayaustin View Post
could somebody please help me out. i run on a carpet track roughly 100x50 with one end being somewhat open and the other end pretty technical. i seem to be lacking punch out of the corner extremely!! if i pull the trigger coming out of the corner the motor literally feels like a sponge and doesnt feel like the car accelerates at all. on the end of the straight i am lacking top speed as well but not excesively slow as it is on the infield.

i am running 17.5 boosted with a D3 geared at 6.67 and no motor timing coming off around 185-190 and its not fading for anybody that thinks heat is the problem. IT IS SLOW FROM THE OUTLAP!

these are my settings now:
timing boost-50
turbo- 10
rpm range- 4000-16000(not exact numbers)
ramp-2
delay-.08
neutral width- none
throttle and brake minimum-10
brake strength-76
throttle profile-5
push control-none

if anybody could please give me some sugguestions, i could use them
Try dropping FDR to 6.5 with 8* motor timing
timing:45
start rpm: 5442
end rpm: 20000
turbo: 15
delay: .1
ramp: 3.0
throttle profile: try 3
brake strength: 100

Try this, i ran it in sedan on a slightly smaller track and never had any issues with temp or fading and was the fastest car on the straight and had great punch in the in feild, if temps are a problem with this setup drop back to zero motor timing, it is very similar to Hara's IIC setup, i started with that and worked from there, also use a high power fan on the motor such as a muchmore, it makes a good difference in temps, about 30 degrees worth. Hope this helps!!
__________________
★Randy Banks★
COLD AS ICE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 09:06 PM   #20718
Tech Master
 
xrayaustin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: St. Pete
Posts: 1,174
Trader Rating: 12 (93%+)
Send a message via AIM to xrayaustin
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by COLD AS ICE View Post
Try dropping FDR to 6.5 with 8* motor timing
timing:45
start rpm: 5442
end rpm: 20000
turbo: 15
delay: .1
ramp: 3.0
throttle profile: try 3
brake strength: 100

Try this, i ran it in sedan on a slightly smaller track and never had any issues with temp or fading and was the fastest car on the straight and had great punch in the in feild, if temps are a problem with this setup drop back to zero motor timing, it is very similar to Hara's IIC setup, i started with that and worked from there, also use a high power fan on the motor such as a muchmore, it makes a good difference in temps, about 30 degrees worth. Hope this helps!!
will give this a try. but i thought opening the rpm range wider made the timing come in more exponentially rather than linear, if they were closer together? and what does changing the throttle profile even do, ive never changed that.
__________________
Www.superiorhobbies.com

2010 cleveland indoor champs and 2011 snowbird nationals 17.5 stock A main winner
xrayaustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 09:16 PM   #20719
Team EAM
 
EAMotorsports's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Murfreesboro, TN
Posts: 9,158
Trader Rating: 79 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to EAMotorsports
Default

Hey Austin,

On that size track I run the following:

Boost 50
RPM-2000-10,000
Turbo 10
Ramp 2.0
Delay .15
Throttle profile 3

I also run about 1-1.5 notches of timing on the D3 past zero. FDR is 6.50-6.3 depending on layout. I also run a fan wired straight to the battery on the speedo. I have run more aggressive than this too but depends on the car, setup and layout.

EA
__________________
Contact Us
Team EAM, Our Facebook
Team EAM | Xray | RCAmerica | Hudy | APEX Raceway and Hobbies | RC Mission | Killer Concepts | AVID | Hobbywing.
EAMotorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 09:19 PM   #20720
Tech Elite
 
bkspeedo's Avatar
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Fort Fun, CO
Posts: 3,139
Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrayaustin View Post
could somebody please help me out. i run on a carpet track roughly 100x50 with one end being somewhat open and the other end pretty technical. i seem to be lacking punch out of the corner extremely!! if i pull the trigger coming out of the corner the motor literally feels like a sponge and doesnt feel like the car accelerates at all. on the end of the straight i am lacking top speed as well but not excesively slow as it is on the infield.

i am running 17.5 boosted with a D3 geared at 6.67 and no motor timing coming off around 185-190 and its not fading for anybody that thinks heat is the problem. IT IS SLOW FROM THE OUTLAP!

these are my settings now:
timing boost-50
turbo- 10
rpm range- 4000-16000(not exact numbers)
ramp-2
delay-.08
neutral width- none
throttle and brake minimum-10
brake strength-76
throttle profile-5
push control-none

if anybody could please give me some sugguestions, i could use them

Here's another option;

Turbo - 12 to 15 (try based on temp)
Delay - .1
Ramp - 1 (sounds funny but helps level out transition from boost to turbo so it's not so off\on feeling, smoother feeling)
Boost - 50
RPM Range - 4xxx to 14500
Neutral range - 10
Th Profile - 3
Throttle Subtrim on radio - (turn up until motor will run slowly on it's own after giving a little throttle and letting off, turn down 5 clicks, motor should no longer run by itself after giving a little throttle and letting off)
I found this helps a lot with neutral to mid throttle acceleration.

Your radio is as much a tuning option as anything else, many people forget about this. Try playing with EXPO instead of throttle profile in ESC.
__________________
Brent Klingforth
Sponsors: Awesomatix USA ~ Roche USA ~ ORCA ~ AVID Bearings ~ R1 Wurks
TQ Wire ~ Montech ~ WTF ~ BSR Racing Tires ~ 2mm Design ~ Helix Designs
5280 Raceway
MILE HIGH INDOOR CHAMPS April 19-22nd 2018 @ www.milehighindoorchamps.com
bkspeedo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 09:19 PM   #20721
Tech Master
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Hagerstown, MD
Posts: 1,699
Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrayaustin View Post
will give this a try. but i thought opening the rpm range wider made the timing come in more exponentially rather than linear, if they were closer together? and what does changing the throttle profile even do, ive never changed that.
The further apart the rpm range is the more linear, it just doesnt shoot the timing in so fast, this usually results in lower temps and the throttle feels smoother when the timing is coming in, with close range it shoots it in fast making the car rip and sometimes spin the wheels and this also shoots the motor rpm's higher, faster causing more heat. Throttle profile is just your throttle curve, 5 is the most aggressive and 1 is of coarse the softest, i like 3 personally because it is linear and smooths the throttle feel out also. Hope this helps! -Randy
__________________
★Randy Banks★
COLD AS ICE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 09:33 PM   #20722
Tech Master
 
xrayaustin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: St. Pete
Posts: 1,174
Trader Rating: 12 (93%+)
Send a message via AIM to xrayaustin
Default

thanks guys, will try all of these out for sure! and bk, what would you sugguest for motor timing and gear for that setup?
__________________
Www.superiorhobbies.com

2010 cleveland indoor champs and 2011 snowbird nationals 17.5 stock A main winner
xrayaustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 09:52 PM   #20723
Tech Elite
 
bkspeedo's Avatar
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Fort Fun, CO
Posts: 3,139
Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrayaustin View Post
thanks guys, will try all of these out for sure! and bk, what would you sugguest for motor timing and gear for that setup?
For a DUO 3 try at neutral position (add a little positive timing if motor is running cool)

FDR 6.7ish.
__________________
Brent Klingforth
Sponsors: Awesomatix USA ~ Roche USA ~ ORCA ~ AVID Bearings ~ R1 Wurks
TQ Wire ~ Montech ~ WTF ~ BSR Racing Tires ~ 2mm Design ~ Helix Designs
5280 Raceway
MILE HIGH INDOOR CHAMPS April 19-22nd 2018 @ www.milehighindoorchamps.com
bkspeedo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 11:45 PM   #20724
Tech Elite
 
B4james's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 2,162
Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by EAMotorsports View Post
Hey Austin,

On that size track I run the following:

Boost 50
RPM-2000-10,000
Turbo 10
Ramp 2.0
Delay .15
Throttle profile 3

I also run about 1-1.5 notches of timing on the D3 past zero. FDR is 6.50-6.3 depending on layout. I also run a fan wired straight to the battery on the speedo. I have run more aggressive than this too but depends on the car, setup and layout.

EA
Hi EA,

What settings were you running at the Reedy race. I'm trying the Tekin again and have a meeting coming up which is on a large 1/8th gas track which is quite open and large straight, any suggestions
__________________
Follow me on Facebook - James Ainslie Designs or on Instagram - JA_Designs

*HEI International for Protoform/Proline/Spaz Stix
*Bitty Design Australia for Bodies and Liquid Mask
* Airbrushmegastore.com for all paint and airbrush supplies
B4james is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 06:21 AM   #20725
Super Moderator
 
Marcos.J's Avatar
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Semper Fi
Posts: 27,187
Trader Rating: 182 (100%+)
Default

"20 SMOKE" thanks a bunch for your help and advise setting up my esc!!!! cant wait to run it!!!
Marcos.J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 08:07 AM   #20726
Tech Initiate
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 26
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by STLNLST View Post
Add a little bit of motor timing. All your settings look fine. Try the motor timing then possibly drop a tooth on the pinion if you still need more grunt.
Tried this out previously, it still didn't seem to do much just a little. Went down to fdr 6.0 with around 1.5 ticks on the can, motor temps at the time were around 60C.

I just did a test on the road with the following settings changed from my previous ones.

Ramp 3
Turbo Delay 0
Throt min 18
TP 3
Motor temped around 40C degree at night, but it was going quick from the start i didn't feel the turbo kick in, the power felt quite linear after 1 second from start.

Tried another setting
Ramp 2
Turbo Delay 0.39
Throt min 18
TP 3
Turbo Timming 12.
(Nearly close to my settings posted before). I wanted to see what effect upping the throttle min had. Motor temp was at around 53C after 5 minutes with a 3 minute brake from first run.

This setting felt slower from slow to mid speed and seemed like it neaded more gear. The power felt similar to my previous setting.

I'm suprised on some of the FDR's that's being reconmending, the other guys at the track that have different speedo run around 5.9. I've tried to go up to 7.0 but lap times said I was .8 second slower I could feel down the straight that I was off the pace.

Thanks
Jason
ieie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 08:18 AM   #20727
Tech Regular
 
sandsurfer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Lockport, Illinois
Posts: 306
Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)
Send a message via Skype™ to sandsurfer
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20 SMOKE View Post
1s,2s ?
2S
sandsurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 08:26 AM   #20728
Team EAM
 
EAMotorsports's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Murfreesboro, TN
Posts: 9,158
Trader Rating: 79 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to EAMotorsports
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by B4james View Post
Hi EA,

What settings were you running at the Reedy race. I'm trying the Tekin again and have a meeting coming up which is on a large 1/8th gas track which is quite open and large straight, any suggestions
Boost 53
RPM 3200-12000
Turbo 13
ramp 2.0
delay .15
Throttle profile 5
brake 70%
epa for brake turned to 80% on radio after setting speedo
trottle min -15
brake min 0
4- tekin capacitors wired together instead of normal 1. Helps keep speedo cooler as I was running same car in Modified and Boosted.
FDR 6.1

I think thats everything. LMK if you have any more questions
__________________
Contact Us
Team EAM, Our Facebook
Team EAM | Xray | RCAmerica | Hudy | APEX Raceway and Hobbies | RC Mission | Killer Concepts | AVID | Hobbywing.
EAMotorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 09:08 AM   #20729
Tech Elite
 
B4james's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 2,162
Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)
Default

Thanks EA,

With motor timing I am assuming you are running 1-1.5 notches as per your other set ups.

Also with the cap set up, are you soldering them up in series
__________________
Follow me on Facebook - James Ainslie Designs or on Instagram - JA_Designs

*HEI International for Protoform/Proline/Spaz Stix
*Bitty Design Australia for Bodies and Liquid Mask
* Airbrushmegastore.com for all paint and airbrush supplies
B4james is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 09:15 AM   #20730
Team EAM
 
EAMotorsports's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Murfreesboro, TN
Posts: 9,158
Trader Rating: 79 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to EAMotorsports
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by B4james View Post
Thanks EA,

With motor timing I am assuming you are running 1-1.5 notches as per your other set ups.

Also with the cap set up, are you soldering them up in series
Yes caps are wired neg to neg and pos to pos.

Depends on track temp but at the reedy race I was at 1 notch. With much more than that it got hot even with a fan.

EA
__________________
Contact Us
Team EAM, Our Facebook
Team EAM | Xray | RCAmerica | Hudy | APEX Raceway and Hobbies | RC Mission | Killer Concepts | AVID | Hobbywing.
EAMotorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Tekin Redline RS Sensored ESC and motors, opinions for offroad? Cain Electric Off-Road 4230 06-07-2015 04:38 PM
Sensored vs. Sensorless lemansracer Electric On-Road 71 02-14-2009 03:19 AM
New Tekin Redline Sensored Motors are Roar Legal! Randy_Pike Electric On-Road 3 08-05-2008 02:08 AM
Tekin Redline Sensored 10.5 HUCKMAN Electric On-Road 6 07-15-2008 08:50 PM
sensored vs sensorless bprocket Rookie Zone 5 05-16-2008 09:38 AM


Tags
v203, vegas 2.0


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 04:00 AM.


Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net