R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-18-2011, 05:56 PM   #20491
Tech Master
 
Chad Smith's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 1,276
Default

Hey guys, just got the tekin rs esc. Im running everything stock on the esc for know. I also am running a fantom ION 3 9.5 motor. Gearing is 76/23. Its in a 2wd buggy, I was wondering where is a good starting point for boost and turbo?

Any help would be appreciated.
__________________
Proline Race Team
Team Boca Bearings

TLR 22. FT SC10. Sc10 4x4
Chad Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 06:45 PM   #20492
Tech Lord
 
20 SMOKE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: HVR_ WEEKI WACHEE FL
Posts: 10,299
Trader Rating: 101 (100%+)
Default

http://www.teamtekin.com/hotwire/ESCsetups/index.html randy has a 9.5 setup
__________________
Jamie W
*Team Tekin*Tekno-rc*DE Racing*AKA*DDHRC*
20 SMOKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 10:56 PM   #20493
Tech Initiate
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Oak Creek, WI
Posts: 48
Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to lightz2050
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20 SMOKE View Post
No it will run a 3s
Thank You!
lightz2050 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 11:05 PM   #20494
Tech Adept
 
GBOGH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Go Big Or Go Home #WINNING
Posts: 114
Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy_Pike View Post
The "timing advance" is a dual mode or sensorless motor timing amount. If you're running sensored only setups this will not apply unless you have a sensor system failure.

Where are you geared in this offroad setup? How big is the track? Where is your "min throttle" set?
Thanks for helping Randy with this and the other "over" calibrating on the radio.

Track is a medium sized track, various lapttimes with the 17.5 SC are around 20-25 seconds a lap.

Internal Drive Ratio is 2.60 - HPI Blitz
Geared: 22/83 Motor Timing 10-12*
Boost: 45
Start RPM: 2903
End RPM: 12998
Voltage Cutoff: 2S
Drive Mode: Sensored Only
Motor Direction: Normal
Throttle Profile: 4
Current Limit: Off
Throttle Min: 10
Drag Brake: 15
Brake Strength: 90
Reverse: Off
Neutral Width: 10
Push Control: Off
Brake Min: 10

It's good on the straights just feels like it's lacking that so called torque these 17.5 motors are supposed to have, as a for instance coming out of a corner into a triple jump where it almost feels you have to give it all she's got to just barely make it over or in most cases literally case the jump or come up short if you don't have the speed through the burm, maybe it's normal and I just need to move up to the modified class instead. I was at 5000-20000 and with what I remember to be around a 25 or 26 / 83 and it was worse than the setup I went with. Motor temps about 150 and won't go higher no matter how hard or long I run it.
GBOGH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 05:54 AM   #20495
Tech Master
 
daverobbo5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 1,079
Trader Rating: 43 (100%+)
Default

Hello, all Tekin users.



has anyone found that the receiver wire on their Tekin gets a bit 'tired' after pulling it out to use the hot wire?

the hot wire and software is a top idea but through the receiver? just seems a little fragile.

happy to hear any suggestions
daverobbo5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 06:19 AM   #20496
Tech Elite
 
jlfx car audio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: jackson,tn
Posts: 3,367
Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)
Default

Randy, I'm running a photon on asfault track was 120 x 60. Thunderpower 5400 25c packs running 3 diff packs. I tried 2 different motors a novak ballistic 17.5 neutral and 20deg timing and a lrp x12 with the 2 dot insert. I tried many setups my gearing was 6.8 (i have ran this gearing several times and normal runs great. My profile is ;
Boost 40-50
Rpm 3-5k start 12 18k end
Turbo from off to 15
Delay from .05-1.0
Ramp 1-3
I have tried several diff setups thru the day with all feeling exact same thru 1/2 throttle.
Top end did change a lot tho.
__________________
Justin & Matt Lyons
Awesomatix USA, EA motorsports, Sanwa, Protoform, Avid, Gravity Rc , TSR!
a800s sanwa m12s
jlfx car audio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 06:35 AM   #20497
Tech Lord
 
20 SMOKE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: HVR_ WEEKI WACHEE FL
Posts: 10,299
Trader Rating: 101 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by daverobbo5 View Post
Hello, all Tekin users.



has anyone found that the receiver wire on their Tekin gets a bit 'tired' after pulling it out to use the hot wire?

the hot wire and software is a top idea but through the receiver? just seems a little fragile.

happy to hear any suggestions
use a 2-3 in servo extension
__________________
Jamie W
*Team Tekin*Tekno-rc*DE Racing*AKA*DDHRC*
20 SMOKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 08:27 AM   #20498
Tech Master
 
PitNamedGordie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Highwood, IL
Posts: 1,789
Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to PitNamedGordie Send a message via Yahoo to PitNamedGordie
Thumbs up Tekin Service!!!

I know things like this have been posted before, but I feel the least I could do is to share my experience. I sent in my RS last week, it arrived in Idaho Thursday afternoon. On Monday I got a USPS notification from Tekin. I checked my bank and there hadn't been any charges. I was a little puzzled but I just waited and yesterday I received a new RS in the mail at no charge! (I don't even care if it was refurbished and repackaged) Talk about making my day!!

I'm not sure how or why Tekin did that...and not being one who likes to look a gift horse in the mouth...I'll just chalk it up to outstanding service!

This in my second time I have sent something to Tekin and they are two for two (they replaced a motor for free a couple of years ago)! Not that I'll expect free stuff all of the time...but I must say it's really hard to think about switching brands when you get service like this!


Wow and Thanks!
__________________
☆ The Track @ Harbor Hobbies ☆ www.harbor-hobby.net ☆
PitNamedGordie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 08:53 AM   #20499
Team Tekin
 
Randy_Pike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Norcal
Posts: 9,702
Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to Randy_Pike
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GBOGH View Post
Thanks for helping Randy with this and the other "over" calibrating on the radio.

Track is a medium sized track, various lapttimes with the 17.5 SC are around 20-25 seconds a lap.

Internal Drive Ratio is 2.60 - HPI Blitz
Geared: 22/83 Motor Timing 10-12*
Boost: 45
Start RPM: 2903
End RPM: 12998
Voltage Cutoff: 2S
Drive Mode: Sensored Only
Motor Direction: Normal
Throttle Profile: 4
Current Limit: Off
Throttle Min: 10
Drag Brake: 15
Brake Strength: 90
Reverse: Off
Neutral Width: 10
Push Control: Off
Brake Min: 10

It's good on the straights just feels like it's lacking that so called torque these 17.5 motors are supposed to have, as a for instance coming out of a corner into a triple jump where it almost feels you have to give it all she's got to just barely make it over or in most cases literally case the jump or come up short if you don't have the speed through the burm, maybe it's normal and I just need to move up to the modified class instead. I was at 5000-20000 and with what I remember to be around a 25 or 26 / 83 and it was worse than the setup I went with. Motor temps about 150 and won't go higher no matter how hard or long I run it.
Well I'd still try gearing up. I really need to know how big the track is, especially the straight away.
__________________
"Things may come to those who wait, but only the things left by those who hustle." Abraham Lincoln

Tekin,Protek,A-Main Hobbies,JConcepts,Avid RC,Yokomo,MIP,SikLidz,FactoryRC, www.randypikerc.com
Randy_Pike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 08:55 AM   #20500
Team Tekin
 
Randy_Pike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Norcal
Posts: 9,702
Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to Randy_Pike
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlfx car audio View Post
Randy, I'm running a photon on asfault track was 120 x 60. Thunderpower 5400 25c packs running 3 diff packs. I tried 2 different motors a novak ballistic 17.5 neutral and 20deg timing and a lrp x12 with the 2 dot insert. I tried many setups my gearing was 6.8 (i have ran this gearing several times and normal runs great. My profile is ;
Boost 40-50
Rpm 3-5k start 12 18k end
Turbo from off to 15
Delay from .05-1.0
Ramp 1-3
I have tried several diff setups thru the day with all feeling exact same thru 1/2 throttle.
Top end did change a lot tho.
Ok, on the LRP always use the dot 4 insert. How big is the track? What issue(s) you trying to correct?
__________________
"Things may come to those who wait, but only the things left by those who hustle." Abraham Lincoln

Tekin,Protek,A-Main Hobbies,JConcepts,Avid RC,Yokomo,MIP,SikLidz,FactoryRC, www.randypikerc.com
Randy_Pike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 09:15 AM   #20501
Tech Adept
 
GBOGH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Go Big Or Go Home #WINNING
Posts: 114
Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default

The tracks are both OCRC and Westcoast RC located in Southern California. I can't post links to the tracks from liverc.com, their cameras are both live right now, but the straights aren't that large, I'd say 80FT at most? for both tracks.
GBOGH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 09:42 AM   #20502
Tech Adept
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 134
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy_Pike View Post
That layout is much better. However you're still getting minimal air across the posts...

The 2nd cap will help.
Yes its pretty tight to fit everything between servo and motor and still get proper airflow, I dont want to have cables lying across the motor.
But as I sad I have one more option with two 25mm fans

I wounder about Current Limit: 70, will is end up same as 70% of full throttle?

If everything is running cool with the setup you tips what is next step to tweek, gear ratio, current limit, boost, turbo?

Thanks for your help!
dark_luna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 11:37 AM   #20503
Tech Lord
 
20 SMOKE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: HVR_ WEEKI WACHEE FL
Posts: 10,299
Trader Rating: 101 (100%+)
Default

current limiter is punch control
__________________
Jamie W
*Team Tekin*Tekno-rc*DE Racing*AKA*DDHRC*
20 SMOKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 11:58 AM   #20504
Tech Elite
 
jlfx car audio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: jackson,tn
Posts: 3,367
Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy_Pike View Post
Ok, on the LRP always use the dot 4 insert. How big is the track? What issue(s) you trying to correct?
Sorry thought I said all that in last post. Track is 60x 120.
My problem is I have no pull from 0%-60% almost like boost isn't working bit turbo works fine after its up to speed.
As I have said I have ran this track 4-5 times with more than enough punch. I ask if this problem has ever been seen before ?
__________________
Justin & Matt Lyons
Awesomatix USA, EA motorsports, Sanwa, Protoform, Avid, Gravity Rc , TSR!
a800s sanwa m12s
jlfx car audio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 01:18 PM   #20505
Tech Fanatic
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: northern california
Posts: 909
Trader Rating: 77 (100%+)
Default

I am running almost the same settings as posted on Atsushi Hara's setup sheet on the tekin website, which is almost identical to the recommendations from murfdogg.

17.5 touring car.

when you let off the throttle at all, even the slightest, it feels like you've thrown out the anchor and have 50% drag brake, or maybe like ALLL of the timing is going away as soon as I drop off 100% throttle.. very difficult to modulate the throttle just a little bit to negotiate a corner or something... any idea how to smooth this out?? The car rolls very freely otherwise, it's not the car mechanically.

212
boost = 48
start rpm = 5500
end rpm = 20000
turbo = 12
turbo ramp = 2.0
turbo delay = .14
drag brake = 0
6.6 FDR
profile 4
motor timing turned all the way down (duo 2)

big asphalt track, 170' straight.

Say fore xample a corner I need to let off just a tiny bit of power to get the car to roll through the corner, when I let off a tiny bit, it is like i hit the brakes even though i'm still holding 90% throttle!
slashdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Tekin Redline RS Sensored ESC and motors, opinions for offroad? Cain Electric Off-Road 4230 06-07-2015 04:38 PM
Sensored vs. Sensorless lemansracer Electric On-Road 71 02-14-2009 03:19 AM
New Tekin Redline Sensored Motors are Roar Legal! Randy_Pike Electric On-Road 3 08-05-2008 02:08 AM
Tekin Redline Sensored 10.5 HUCKMAN Electric On-Road 6 07-15-2008 08:50 PM
sensored vs sensorless bprocket Rookie Zone 5 05-16-2008 09:38 AM


Tags
v203, vegas 2.0


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 06:15 AM.


We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net