R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 04-15-2011, 07:09 PM   #20281
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 101 (100%+)

if you have no chime that is a sign of 1s with a bad booster what is your setting on it
Old 04-15-2011, 08:56 PM   #20282
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Angry

Thank you Randy for your reply.Tried all said still nothing.Whats the process for sending in for repairs?Very disgusted 3 hrs. play for 180.00 dollars to me not very good return.thaught brushless was more reliable? not so far for me.Last in door race for me this week end.Now have to put in the old reliable g9 and an old brushed motor.
olegeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 09:01 PM   #20283
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mist467 View Post
Hoping someone can help out. My rs has 3 leds flashing on each end left/right. Manual says its on the wrong motor type but its not. Also it doesnt chime when turned on. Just stays flashing. Things i have tried

Another motor
sensor cable
new cap
reflash and reprogram

So far nothing. Any other suggestions before i send it?? Sucks got to run it once and this happen. Its not my first or only tekin but the first time i have a problem. Thanks
Some of these problems can also come from bad soldering of the wires on to the motor. It only takes a sliver of solder to cross the A B C settings and you have issues and fry things
Old 04-15-2011, 09:08 PM   #20284
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cannon View Post
Some of these problems can also come from bad soldering of the wires on to the motor. It only takes a sliver of solder to cross the A B C settings and you have issues and fry things
Soldering is fine. The speed controller was perfectly fine and just stopped after landing a jump in my 2w buggy. No wires were touching and solder was perfect. its not the first time they have dumb little glitches like this but usually a reflash takes care of it. Guess not this time. Does anyone else have any other suggestions other then what was stated?? Its my 5 or 6th RS and i love em was just wondering if anyone else had any experience with this.
Elite Paint Workz
[email protected]
mist467 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 01:26 AM   #20285
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcfiend View Post
Hey Randy is there a problem with the RS Esc's? I have the same problem as Olegeezer. In fact there were two of us at my track yesterday that received the same error codes. We both swapped the esc with another using the same motor, leads, and sensor. Also we were both using tekin 17.5 motors, no boost or timing.
I've only had my esc for about 3 months.

Luv the speedo just wondering if there is a problem on the horizon.
I had the same problem and there does seem to be alot of others with this problem too.
It cost me $$ to get it replaced since it was out of warranty but there does seem to be issues with the FETs. IMO...
I love this speedo but I'm very concerned that it may happen again when I switch it on for the A Main.
My first RS Pro that I bought is still going strong and Never had a problem whatsoever, maybe the newer production runs are a bit different than the older ones.
YoDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 06:48 AM   #20286
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoDog View Post
.........maybe the newer production runs are a bit different than the older ones.
Several guys around here have had the same issue, too.

There was a period of time about 3-4 months ago when RS/RS Pros were out of stock for almost a month at Tekin but they actually had a decent stock of them in the warehouse ready to go, but there was some technical issue and they were testing/working with their manufacturer to ensure that the units were up to spec. Funny how the 'old' ones aren't having any trouble, but purchases from about 3-4 months ago up to now are starting to have issues. I'm sure Tekin has been keeping track of serial numbers of failures for trend analysis. It would be interesting to know if it's simple useage or a bad run!

Tekin & Sweep, thanks for all that you do for you know who!

Associated/T.O.P./Mugen/Fantom/Spektrum/Savox
Buckaroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 08:20 AM   #20287
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cannon View Post
I have had the same problem and it WAS the sensor wire. I see where you state you tried the sensor wire was it a new wire or one you already and or have used?
You are defined in life by how you respond to defeat!
hairy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 08:43 AM   #20288
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

It's pretty frustrating that probably 90% of the problems posted here are user error, but everyone always blames the speedo as being defective right away.
Old 04-16-2011, 09:17 AM   #20289
Tech Adept

Angry

does tekin build a more user freindly unit for us idiots?seems like alot of us 1350 +pages.
olegeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 09:30 AM   #20290
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 79 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by olegeezer View Post
does tekin build a more user freindly unit for us idiots?seems like alot of us 1350 +pages.
Yeah. Just don't use the hotwire.
Old 04-16-2011, 09:36 AM   #20291
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by M-Technic View Post
It's pretty frustrating that probably 90% of the problems posted here are user error, but everyone always blames the speedo as being defective right away.
I agree but with all of this technology it's easy to say at first thought that the electronics MUST be bad.I myself had, in the past, a problem with the unit but I spent a good amount of time eliminating any and all other possibilities BEFORE I approached Tekin.Let me say this by doing so it was alot easier to talk to the techs about it also. Showing SOMEONE that you have taken time to eliminate anything that could be suspect,the techs have better information to go on.
Now that the problem has been found and fixed these are some of best ESC's I have ever run. Even if alot of places want to prohibit the use of boost. Tekin rocks and has for over the twenty years I have been using them, From my first G9 to the RS. Thank you Tekin and keep it up!
You are defined in life by how you respond to defeat!

Last edited by hairy; 04-16-2011 at 09:38 AM. Reason: happy fingers!
hairy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 08:52 PM   #20292
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

Have to chime in here - I had a problem with my car going soft about 3-4 minutes into a race (17.5 boosted TC). I had everyone tell me "your settings are wrong,"
"you need a new motor," "your batteries are old." And I've read the same thing on this board.

Well today at my track I got so frustrated that I decided it was no holds barred -I was going to get to the root cause of this, no expense spared. First up - seek the counsel of the two fastest guys at the track to get their gear ratio and hotwire settings. FAIL. Second up - new motor. FAIL. Third - new SMC battery pack. FAIL. Fourth in line - new sensor wire. FAIL. Fifth - go through the entire drive train looking for something that may be hung-up. Nope, nothing there either. Every run, my car went soft mid-to late run.

Finally, into the hobby shop for a brand new RS. Success! I was able to run 6 full minutes with no fade! And just to be sure, I put in an old motor and an old battery pack with the same result - no fading. There is definitely something going on with a select few RS speedos. So to all of you out there like me going absolutely nutz and feeling stupid...it might actually be the speedo.
ground-round is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 09:53 PM   #20293
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Interesting!

And a pair of Associated B6 buggies for turf and clay tracks.
Still Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 04:07 PM   #20294
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ground-round View Post
Have to chime in here - I had a problem with my car going soft about 3-4 minutes into a race (17.5 boosted TC). I had everyone tell me "your settings are wrong,"
"you need a new motor," "your batteries are old." And I've read the same thing on this board.

Well today at my track I got so frustrated that I decided it was no holds barred -I was going to get to the root cause of this, no expense spared. First up - seek the counsel of the two fastest guys at the track to get their gear ratio and hotwire settings. FAIL. Second up - new motor. FAIL. Third - new SMC battery pack. FAIL. Fourth in line - new sensor wire. FAIL. Fifth - go through the entire drive train looking for something that may be hung-up. Nope, nothing there either. Every run, my car went soft mid-to late run.

Finally, into the hobby shop for a brand new RS. Success! I was able to run 6 full minutes with no fade! And just to be sure, I put in an old motor and an old battery pack with the same result - no fading. There is definitely something going on with a select few RS speedos. So to all of you out there like me going absolutely nutz and feeling stupid...it might actually be the speedo.
Can you explain how the speedo could magically change settings 3-4 minutes into your run? Did you try the trick of calibrating your radio at 90% and bumping it to 100% after calibrating?
Old 04-17-2011, 08:22 PM   #20295
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

Nope. Nor can I explain how "magically" installing a new speedo with everything else the same fixed my problem. Today's speedos are highly sopisticated pieces of computerized equipment. Is it too far out of the realm of probability to think that maybe, just maybe one of the diodes/fets/capacitors/internal connections/processor boards could be a little off kilter?
ground-round is offline   Reply With Quote