R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 12-31-2008, 12:06 PM   #1861
Tech Fanatic

Ok I got the 189 version for my RS and I just want to make sure I understand correctly. The ESC has 15 degrees (non adjustable) of timing built into it. Depending on the amount of timing advance allowed on the motor (say 10 degrees) you add 15 degrees of boost to get to the magic 40? If that is the case is there a difference between running more motor timing with less boost vs more boost and less motor timing?
RobS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 12:18 PM   #1862
Team Tekin

My bad... this is the vista32 issue and we can walk you thru it easily. The hotwire does not work yet on Vista64. The instructions were on our forum and were lost.

For the technically savy it is in the Virtual Store. You have to find it and manually delete the tekin.esc database file and then reinstall.

Give me a quick email and I will hook you up with the engineer that wrote it. He can take you thru it in a few minutes. He is headed boarding so we need to hurry or do it tommorrow.

[email protected]

Last edited by Tekin Prez; 12-31-2008 at 12:38 PM.
Tekin Prez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 12:26 PM   #1863
Team Tekin

Forget about the 15deg secret stuff. That is not us on purpose. It is the sensors triggering early because they see the magnet coming. It only matters when trying to compare to sensorless timing to be equal.

We want 30 to 35 total timing for boost plus motor setting on spec motors. 40 is pretty extreme and only used in some light torque applications.

Should be the same to set 10 in the motor and 20 boost, or 20 in the motor and 10 boost. However we hear different results and it can be motor dependent. There is no standard for sensors and the sensitivity or the placement. Some are compensating for the early sensor trigger in the motor, most are not. Hard to say what the timing numbers on the motors really mean or how accurate they are.

Start low and work up. If you are over timed it will rip up front, but fade and get hot at the end of the run.
Old 12-31-2008, 12:35 PM   #1864
Tech Fanatic

Ok, thanks!
RobS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 12:38 PM   #1865
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamTekin View Post
My bad... this is the vista32 issue and we can walk you thru it easily. The hotwire does not work yet on Vista64. The instructions were on our forum and were lost.

Give me a quick email and I will hook you up with the engineer that wrote it. He can take you thru it in a few minutes. He is headed boarding so we need to hurry or do it tommorrow.

[email protected]
Jim, got it figured out based on what you told me on the phone. Wasn't an issue at all. Deleted the cached files and everything is perfect now.

I can post the instructions if you would like.
or8ital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 12:42 PM   #1866
Tech Addict

I ran 189 last night with my 13.5 DUO (middle hole, 10 degrees timing) with 10 boost and throttle profile 5. Geared it around 4.6, so it came off around 155 after 5 minutes. I'm running rubber tire sedan on a medium-sized carpet track (pictures). While I wouldn't dare call the motor slow, it definitely didn't seem as smooth and ripped as when I run the same motor with an LRP properly geared. It almost feels as if the motor is struggling to get up to speed, and never winding up, where the LRP seems to reach its top speed immediately, and have rip in all portions of the track. It also feels like things fade more quickly. It's a pretty small distinction I guess, but we've spent a LOT of time testing on our current layout (about 20 hours a week for the last two months), so I'm pretty familiar with how things should feel. I can't quite put my finger on why it's different, but there's something that feels slightly amiss. As for lap times, I'd say they were about .2 off with the Tekin.

Any suggestions on things I can try?
Adam? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 12:46 PM   #1867
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)
Default Updating HotWire on Vista

Here is what I needed to do to get it to work on Vista (32 bit version). I would only follow these instructions if you have a problem with it only showing the old versions of the firmware.

- Go to Control Panel
- Go to Programs and Features
- Highlight Tekin HotWire
- Click Uninstall
- Follow Uninstall Instructions
- Reboot
- Go to C:\Program Files and make sure the "Tekin Hotwire" folder has been removed. If not, delete the folder
- Do the following if you do not have "Show Hidden Files and Folders" enabled
{
- Go to Control Panel
- On the left hand side click "Classic View"
- Go to Folder Options
- Click on the View Tab
- Choose the "Show Hidden Files and Folders" radio button
- Click OK
}
- Go to C:\Users\[USERNAME]\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Program Files replace [USERNAME] with your username and make sure the "Tekin Hotwire" folder has been removed (seems like it often doesn't with Vista). If it hasn't then delete the folder
- Install New Version
- If you enabled showing Hidden Files and Folders and no longer want them showing make sure to undo the changes above

Last edited by or8ital; 03-05-2009 at 02:52 PM. Reason: fixed some typos
or8ital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 12:49 PM   #1868
Team Tekin

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to Randy_Pike

My first though is that you might not have 189 actually loaded in the esc.

Make sure that when you plug in your hotwire the current version in the esc shows 189. The boost rail will be shown on the Hotwire interface but won't be active if your esc software is not 189.

If it is, then try this setup:

Sensored Only
TP 3
NW 10
Same motor timing
Boost at 15

With the motor timing only at 10 your total timing with boost was only 20 which isn't much for a 13.5.

You WILL have to regear running the above setup.

Tekin,Protek,A-Main Hobbies,JConcepts,Avid RC,Yokomo,MIP,SikLidz,FactoryRC, www.randypikerc.com
Randy_Pike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 12:50 PM   #1869
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to PitNamedGordie Send a message via Yahoo to PitNamedGordie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam? View Post
I ran 189 last night with my 13.5 DUO (middle hole, 10 degrees timing) with 10 boost and throttle profile 5. Geared it around 4.6, so it came off around 155 after 5 minutes. I'm running rubber tire sedan on a medium-sized carpet track (pictures). While I wouldn't dare call the motor slow, it definitely didn't seem as smooth and ripped as when I run the same motor with an LRP properly geared. It almost feels as if the motor is struggling to get up to speed, and never winding up, where the LRP seems to reach its top speed immediately, and have rip in all portions of the track. It also feels like things fade more quickly. It's a pretty small distinction I guess, but we've spent a LOT of time testing on our current layout (about 20 hours a week for the last two months), so I'm pretty familiar with how things should feel. I can't quite put my finger on why it's different, but there's something that feels slightly amiss. As for lap times, I'd say they were about .2 off with the Tekin.

Any suggestions on things I can try?
Interesting. I thought I felt something similar but I figured it was that I changed my motor to a Novak when I ran the 189. I'd be interested to see if you went back to the older software could you feel a difference? Did you do much running with the original software?

Right now all of my timing in the ESC, 0 at the motor. I was going to play around with putting more timing at the motor like you did. But hearing what you have said I might also try going back to the original software and comparing times.
Old 12-31-2008, 12:56 PM   #1870
Team Tekin

Have you tried more than one motor?

What throttle profile on the LRP? Same timing on the motor? what is the difference in gearing, up or down?
Old 12-31-2008, 01:00 PM   #1871
Tech Addict

It definitely appears to be 189 on the ESC itself. I'll try the settings you suggested, Randy, and re-gear accordingly.

I didn't spend much time with 180 on our current layout, so I can't really compare. It always felt way too soft in the bottom end for me when I tried to compare it directly with other ESCs.

For what it's worth, the motor has a very distinctively different sound when I use it with the Tekin, almost as if it's struggling. This has been observed with a Novak motor as well, so it seems to follow the ESC. That probably doesn't mean anything, but sometimes I try to go by the sound to figure out if a motor is winding up too soon, etc., and this throws that off.
Old 12-31-2008, 01:07 PM   #1872
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamTekin View Post
Have you tried more than one motor?

What throttle profile on the LRP? Same timing on the motor? what is the difference in gearing, up or down?
Yep, I've tried another DUO 13.5 and a Novak 13.5 with similar results (used more boost (30 I think) on the Novak since its mechanical timing is limited).

I usually run profile 5 on the LRP, the others seem to make more heat without much change in power. Gearing between the two ESC's was really close with the DUOs (both around 4.6 felt right, and temped well), but the Novak wanted more gear with the LRP, and a lot less with the Tekin, presumably because of the increased boost?
Old 12-31-2008, 01:09 PM   #1873
Tech Addict

I realize comparing between ESC's is a little bit subjective because of differences in timing, gearing, etc. In each case, I try to make sure I've got the motor geared where it feels right (150-160F after 5 minutes, and fast throughout) and then start looking at lap times and feel.
Old 12-31-2008, 01:11 PM   #1874
Team Tekin

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to Randy_Pike

I'd be interested in hearing what the esc settings do for you.

TP 5 on the LRP isn't that aggressive with timing but it's there. I'd expect the RS to be at and over depending on timing settings.

Can you post your esc settings or pm them to me?

Tekin,Protek,A-Main Hobbies,JConcepts,Avid RC,Yokomo,MIP,SikLidz,FactoryRC, www.randypikerc.com
Randy_Pike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 01:51 PM   #1875
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to Adim_X

Hello Guys,

I just received my new Tekin RS Pro and Hotwire. I would like the newest 189software. My email is [email protected] I live in Lafayette Indiana. I am not sure who my local Tekin contact would be.

I am going to be using this in my VTA car, does anyone have any good base setups? Novak 21.5 in a TC5.
Adim_X is offline   Reply With Quote