R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 11-10-2010, 05:18 AM   #18241
Regional Moderator

I believe that all Novak motors come factory set at 30 degrees.
CarbonJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 08:24 AM   #18242
Tech Adept
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Anyone know what timing a Speed Passion v3 17.5t comes with? Its adjustable atleast from 0 to 10degrees, are these real numbers?
Old 11-10-2010, 08:32 AM   #18243
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 101 (100%+)

go with low boost in the 35-40 to start.it may have 20-25 built in.its hard to compare timing on motors to other brand,i have a friend that uses x12 with factory timing and still puts 60* through it so start low and work your way up
Old 11-10-2010, 09:30 AM   #18244
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20 SMOKE View Post
go with low boost in the 35-40 to start.it may have 20-25 built in.its hard to compare timing on motors to other brand,i have a friend that uses x12 with factory timing and still puts 60* through it so start low and work your way up
Yep, just hoping someone would have hard facts on the numbers that way I could skip the tedius testing work and get to finetuning the speedo for the motor.
Old 11-10-2010, 10:32 AM   #18245
Tech Master

"Tedious testing" is what should be done by any racrer. Your driving style affects motor temps as much as anything.
Not picking on your post in particular, but there seem to be more and more posts on here asking for someone else to set their car up before they have even tried themselves. If you are STUCK, great, shout out. If you just can't be bothered cutting a few laps, maybe racing isn't for you.
Again, not pointing fingers, just suggesting getting out there may offer more benifit than being given the answer straight away.

My car just hit 88mph. I hope it comes back soon....
JR007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 10:47 AM   #18246
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR007 View Post
"Tedious testing" is what should be done by any racrer. Your driving style affects motor temps as much as anything.
Not picking on your post in particular, but there seem to be more and more posts on here asking for someone else to set their car up before they have even tried themselves. If you are STUCK, great, shout out. If you just can't be bothered cutting a few laps, maybe racing isn't for you.
Again, not pointing fingers, just suggesting getting out there may offer more benifit than being given the answer straight away.
"Tedious Testing" is all fine and dandy if you have easy access. I own the local track I can go in anytime to run setup changes on my car. I do "Tedious Testing" But what about the racer that lives hour or even 2 hours to the track that they go to for a club race. Or that the club track has limited practice times. Getting meaningful practice in on race day before heats start is sketchy at best. You need sometimes a closed track that you can run consistent laps on to get any valid results with practice scoring on to see if the changes make noticeable advancements or if it is a mental change i.e.: "I changed this so it should of done this.. Ya that's what it did" so why is it 2 tenths slower. There are very few that have the facilities and capital to fund "Tedious Testing" let alone the perception to validate those settings. Helping out other drivers with starting points, discussing ideas and pulling wild theories out of the air will always help everybody from the seasoned racers to the guy that wants you to just setup his car as he may or may not have the time or ability to discern the differences. So help a racer out!
RC50 As you come into this world, something else is also born. You begin your life, and it begins a journey towards you. It moves slowly, but it never stops. Wherever you go, whatever path you take, it will follow never faster, never slower, always coming. You will run, it will walk. You will rest, it will not. One day, you will linger in the same place too long you will sit too still, or sleep too deep. And when, too late, you rise to go, you will notice a second shadow next to yours. Your life will then be over.
nashrcracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 11:08 AM   #18247
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nashrcracer View Post
"Tedious Testing" is all fine and dandy if you have easy access. I own the local track I can go in anytime to run setup changes on my car. I do "Tedious Testing" But what about the racer that lives hour or even 2 hours to the track that they go to for a club race. Or that the club track has limited practice times. Getting meaningful practice in on race day before heats start is sketchy at best. You need sometimes a closed track that you can run consistent laps on to get any valid results with practice scoring on to see if the changes make noticeable advancements or if it is a mental change i.e.: "I changed this so it should of done this.. Ya that's what it did" so why is it 2 tenths slower. There are very few that have the facilities and capital to fund "Tedious Testing" let alone the perception to validate those settings. Helping out other drivers with starting points, discussing ideas and pulling wild theories out of the air will always help everybody from the seasoned racers to the guy that wants you to just setup his car as he may or may not have the time or ability to discern the differences. So help a racer out!
That's exactly my situation. 1 track, which opens up every OTHER Wednesday (2x a month) or the 2nd track which is 2-1/2 hrs away.

A E - 12R5.2 _ S M - REV8 PRO
JayBee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 11:38 AM   #18248
Team Tekin

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to Randy_Pike

What he's trying to say is that there is not a "magic" setup for everyone. This is why I often give out "safe" setups that will get the user started.

Often times I can take 3 team drivers and get them all close but they will all require their own tweaks due to driving style and car setup.

Tekin,Protek,A-Main Hobbies,JConcepts,Avid RC,Yokomo,MIP,SikLidz,FactoryRC, www.randypikerc.com
Randy_Pike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 01:33 PM   #18249
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR007 View Post
I have done already hundreds of hours "tedious testing" with the Tekin RS, thats why I know exactly how to do the initial setup if I know the real timing of the motor. I am just not in a position to know the real timing of the motor, so I am asking. If I do not get the timing I will just do the testing, will probably take a evening or so, no big deal but that time could be spent testing other things.
Old 11-10-2010, 03:42 PM   #18250
Tech Master

Fair call. Like I say, I wasn't picking on anyone. Good to see you're still putting in the leg work.

I still stand by my point that, as you probably know, having those figures alone won't make the set-up, it's only a small part. Like you said, you know that, there are others that should pay more attention to it.

With regards to helping out, i'm all for it, God knows I need it more than most. I just feel some people on here may get misguided into thinking a few numbers on this screen will tell them how to set their car, when there are soooo many variables, the only way to sort it out is by cutting laps.

My car just hit 88mph. I hope it comes back soon....
JR007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 11:58 PM   #18251
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy_Pike View Post
What he's trying to say is that there is not a "magic" setup for everyone. This is why I often give out "safe" setups that will get the user started.

Often times I can take 3 team drivers and get them all close but they will all require their own tweaks due to driving style and car setup.
STLNLST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 04:41 AM   #18252
Tech Initiate

Hi everybody,

Would it be safe to run a 5,5T speed passion v2.0 motor with a RS (non pro) speedo in a Touring Car?

I am wondering if it will limit the use of the sensored mod compared to a rs pro. Or should i be able to "push" it as much as an rs pro?
Jeppi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 04:57 AM   #18253
Tech Addict

You'll be pushing the limits of an RS with a 7.5 in a touring car, the 5.5 limit for the RS is in a 2WD off-road chassis.