R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 12-23-2008, 05:13 AM   #1756
sg1
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 79 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trips View Post
Yes, in sensor mode the RS goes by the endbell setting plus it adds 15 degrees of advance to that. The "boost" slider allows you to add up to 30 degrees more timing advance to the 15 degrees that the RS adds by default in that mode.

I have two questions regarding the 1.89 update...

First, I always ran in dual mode in my sedan with 1.80 firmware. When I flashed the ESC to 1.89, I recalibrated, and reset all the hotwire settings to match what I had used with 1.80. I noticed that I lost some speed with the 1.89 firmware... guys that I'd been able to pull on the straight were now faster than me. Did something happen in 1.89 that slowed down the hybrid mode? I haven't seen any mention of that, but I definitely noticed it on the track.

Second question... I'm now running 1.89 in sensor mode with a Trinity Duo 17.5, in a 1/12 4 cell car. Ten degree advance at the endbell, 15 more by default in sensor mode, and 14 degrees boost. Temp at 160 after an eight minute heat ina 4 cell 1/12 car (total timing I guess is 39 degrees, right?)

The car did hesitate briefly on the start of the main, but I guess with 39 degrees advance it's to be expected? THe car seemed to be about as fast ini the qualifiers, running ten degrees at the endbell, and boost at 4 (for a total of 29 degrees) Motor came off at 104 degrees after eight minutes at that setting, but didn't do a full throttle standing start in the qualifiers.

My question is, should I expect a better starting line shot at the lower timing setting? I did notice a bit more down the straight at 39 degrees, but overall lap times pretty much the same... I guess I might have wanted to gear down a tooth or so with the extra boost, but being the motor was so cool I figured ten more degrees wouldn't put me into an overheating situation... I guess I'm wondering if I'd be better running at 39 degrees and dropping the tooth, or leaving the gearing and taking the ten extra degrees of boost back off... Which way would be more likely to give me back the holeshot at the start of the main??
I run mine at approx. 40 deg. and geared down. I thought that was the fastest overall.
Old 12-23-2008, 05:14 AM   #1757
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trips View Post
I have two questions regarding the 1.89 update...

First, I always ran in dual mode in my sedan with 1.80 firmware. When I flashed the ESC to 1.89, I recalibrated, and reset all the hotwire settings to match what I had used with 1.80. I noticed that I lost some speed with the 1.89 firmware... guys that I'd been able to pull on the straight were now faster than me. Did something happen in 1.89 that slowed down the hybrid mode? I haven't seen any mention of that, but I definitely noticed it on the track.
?
I agree since I switched I seem about 1.5 to 2 tenths slower and I'm running in sensored only, I thought motor, then batteries but even some very good new batteries and cleaning the motor and gaussing the rotor, it just does not seem to have the same punch even if I set it back to 0 boost and run the motor and gera the same as before!!!!!

LONG LIVE OPEN MODIFIED

Last edited by miller tyme; 12-23-2008 at 06:30 AM.
miller tyme is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2008, 05:22 AM   #1758
sg1
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 79 (100%+)

I have never run it in hybred mode, maybe Randy can answere this questions
Old 12-23-2008, 06:07 AM   #1759
Tech Master

why hibrid mode as the sensord only mode with boost faster is?
Tekin Redline 10,5
Protoform LTC-R
mikky32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2008, 09:24 AM   #1760
Team Tekin

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by bread View Post
I thought there was a Tekin 1/8 thread but couldn't find it, so I hope it's ok to ask here. Is it confirmed that the RS Pro has the same capability as the R1 pro to handle 4s in 1/8? If so, can the RS Pro also control the 1/8 sensored motors from Novak in addition to the sensorless like the Nue's? And is the Tekin 1/8 speedo (rx8?) close enough to being released that it's ok to hold my breath and wait for it?
I would wait for the RX8 if I were you bro, it's gonna be tight ya'll!
Old 12-23-2008, 11:27 AM   #1761
Team Tekin

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to Randy_Pike

Dual mode should be unchanged. We did however change the defaults with 189 so make sure that nothing was changed that you weren't looking at before. The biggest change was brake strength.

If I had to choose between 29 degrees and taller gear and 39 and lower gearing my first question would be what's the faster lap time?

I would expect however that the 39 degree setup would be faster overall IF it was geared corectly. That is a huge gearing difference between the two setups. You're correct in your theory as far as motor heat goes but you may have left some speed on the table by not regearing and just adding timing.

There's always a "sweet" spot and it takes a bit of testing to find it. Every motor is different so what works for an Orion or Trinity might not work for a Tekin or LRP,etc.

I would say that you were close since your lap times between them were close. My advise would to be to try a Total Timing setup of around 40-45 and drop 3-4 pinions to be safe.

Laptimes are the end all for testing. If it's not making it faster, there's no sense in doing it right!?

The RX8 is testing well. For 1/8 scale anything or MT that will be the esc to have. It's small in size, looks killer and has the power handling to back it up.

Tekin,Protek,A-Main Hobbies,JConcepts,Avid RC,Yokomo,MIP,SikLidz,FactoryRC, www.randypikerc.com
Randy_Pike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2008, 12:20 PM   #1762
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sg1 View Post
I run mine at approx. 40 deg. and geared down. I thought that was the fastest overall.
Thanks, I think I will try dropping a tooth or two... It felt like I was pretty close to the sweet spot... other than the slight hesitation at the starting tone, I did hit my best lap times at the 39 degree timing setting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by miller tyme View Post
I agree since I switched I seem about 1.5 to 2 tenths slower and I'm running in sensored only, I thought motor, then batteries but even some very good new batteries and cleaning the motor and gaussing the rotor, it just does not seem to have the same punch even if I set it back to 0 boost and run the motor and gera the same as before!!!!!
I can't say I'm faster or slower in sensor mode, when I had the 1.80 firmware I was running dual mode only. I only started using sensor mode with 1.89.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikky32 View Post
why hibrid mode as the sensord only mode with boost faster is?
I ran hybrid mode because before 1.89 there was no boost in sensor mode, and I liked the feel of hybrid mode better. I could get better lap times and come off cooler in hybrid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy_Pike View Post
Dual mode should be unchanged. We did however change the defaults with 189 so make sure that nothing was changed that you weren't looking at before. The biggest change was brake strength.
I thought I'd made sure I duplicated every setting, I may have to try dual again in the TC, but at the moment, I put the TC aside and am concentrating on 1/12 again...

Quote:
If I had to choose between 29 degrees and taller gear and 39 and lower gearing my first question would be what's the faster lap time?

I would expect however that the 39 degree setup would be faster overall IF it was geared corectly. That is a huge gearing difference between the two setups. You're correct in your theory as far as motor heat goes but you may have left some speed on the table by not regearing and just adding timing.
I'm thinking along the same line here... I did get my fastest lap at the 39 degree setting, by 2 tenths, but I still may have been slightly overgeared... we'll be running the same layout this week, I'll drop a tooth or two on the pinion and see where the lap times go.

Quote:
There's always a "sweet" spot and it takes a bit of testing to find it. Every motor is different so what works for an Orion or Trinity might not work for a Tekin or LRP,etc.

I would say that you were close since your lap times between them were close. My advise would to be to try a Total Timing setup of around 40-45 and drop 3-4 pinions to be safe.

Laptimes are the end all for testing. If it's not making it faster, there's no sense in doing it right!?
Yup... lap times are the benchmark... which is why I finally made the switch to brushless in 1/12. This was my first time out running brushless in a 1/12 scale. I'd held out as long as I could because I couldn't stand the look of all that wiring in a 1/12 scale chassis... I like the "minimalist" look of a 1/12 car... But the RS makes it easy to get the lean, clean look I like...here's a pic of the install in my FF07, it's actually a bit "cleaner" than the FXPro/brushed setup I had before:
Attached Thumbnails
Tekin RS ESC sensored-dsc00259.jpg  
Old 12-23-2008, 04:07 PM   #1763
Team Tekin

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to Randy_Pike

Nice, wiring and layout does look clean. Only thing wrong is that you don't have a Tekin Redline in your car!

Tekin,Protek,A-Main Hobbies,JConcepts,Avid RC,Yokomo,MIP,SikLidz,FactoryRC, www.randypikerc.com
Randy_Pike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2008, 04:29 PM   #1764
Tech Elite

I have the Redline 17.5 in my TC...
Old 12-23-2008, 06:48 PM   #1765
Tech Elite

Location: Conducting aggressive board meetings at my local track
Trader Rating: 64 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by stocker View Post
Randy is probably referring to the 15 deg default built into the esc.
Thanks I had no idea about the 15deg of advanced built in timing. Oops. Gotta go back over my settings.

Three words...

Ready... Steady... Confetti!!!! (gonna need a new one of those)
SpraydbySprague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2008, 06:53 PM   #1766
Tech Master

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 55 (100%+)

Do the Redline motors come with 12.5 or 13mm rotors?
CCristo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2008, 09:54 PM   #1767
Tech Master

I think 12.3 or 12.5
Old 12-24-2008, 08:57 AM   #1768
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCristo View Post
Do the Redline motors come with 12.5 or 13mm rotors?
6.5 and slower 12.5mm, 5.5 and faster 13mm
TRF415boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2008, 06:13 PM   #1769
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 49 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to weaponx

On version 1.89 for the hotwire, is there actually a slider that says boost, or is it the timing advance slider? THanks
weaponx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2008, 06:21 PM   #1770
Tech Elite

Location: Conducting aggressive board meetings at my local track
Trader Rating: 64 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by weaponx View Post
On version 1.89 for the hotwire, is there actually a slider that says boost, or is it the timing advance slider? THanks
When you click on sensored only, the timing advance slider changes to timing boost.

Three words...

Ready... Steady... Confetti!!!! (gonna need a new one of those)
SpraydbySprague is offline   Reply With Quote