Tekin RS ESC sensored

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2010, 08:00 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Mr.A Morris
What is the CAP size on the RS pro.. mine well broke
Good day!

It is 16V 330uf low ESR is the stock cap.
Old 10-06-2010, 09:03 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Is anyone else here running a Novak Ballistic motor with their RS?

I'd be interested in having you check if the "reverse faster than forward" problem also exists. To me it seems that for whatever reason I'm getting more timing advance in reverse than forward, exactly the opposite of what should be occurring with the 30 degree default timing on the Novak can.

The only sensored motors I currently own are Novak Ballistics, so I haven't been able to troubleshoot using a different motor. I went ahead and ordered a Tekin 13.5 BL today and will have it by Friday. I will drop it in the car Friday evening and it will be very interesting to see what that does.
Old 10-06-2010, 09:09 AM
Team Tekin

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

What is bugging me on your setup Bodo is that you're the only one having this issue. I've seen plenty of N___K's run on our RS and run normally.
Old 10-06-2010, 10:10 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Kuttermax
Is anyone else here running a Novak Ballistic motor with their RS?

I'd be interested in having you check if the "reverse faster than forward" problem also exists. To me it seems that for whatever reason I'm getting more timing advance in reverse than forward, exactly the opposite of what should be occurring with the 30 degree default timing on the Novak can.

The only sensored motors I currently own are Novak Ballistics, so I haven't been able to troubleshoot using a different motor. I went ahead and ordered a Tekin 13.5 BL today and will have it by Friday. I will drop it in the car Friday evening and it will be very interesting to see what that does.
I am running a 17.5 Ballistic and have no problems at all. I don't run with reverse though, try setting it up BL-FW and see if it gets any better. I'm sure this has been checked but I haven't seen anybody ask, you don't have the reverse motor box checked do you? Just a SWAG on that one, but worth a check.
Old 10-06-2010, 10:20 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by JCarr
I am running a 17.5 Ballistic and have no problems at all. I don't run with reverse though, try setting it up BL-FW and see if it gets any better. I'm sure this has been checked but I haven't seen anybody ask, you don't have the reverse motor box checked do you? Just a SWAG on that one, but worth a check.
Definitely don't have reverse checked. I did try checking it in an attempt to fix the problem, but with no success.

I'd be interested in seeing what happens if you turn reverse on in your software settings and see how the reverse speed compares to forward.

I'm going to hit the track tonight. As long as I can get enough forward performance by tweaking the boost, I should be fine irrespective of what reverse is doing.
Old 10-06-2010, 10:41 AM
Tech Master

Did you check the wiring like someone else mentioned? Maybe try and swap two of the wires connected to the motor and see if that helps.

[QUOTE=Kuttermax;8031752][QUOTE=macdude;8031392]

Thanks for the suggestions.

I have tried a number of them before, but I did go ahead and reflash completely tonight but it didn't help.

I also ripped out my Traxxas 2.4 GHz system from an E-revo to see if it would change things, but it did the exact same thing with the Traxxas, so it seems that the radio is not the problem.

Randy has been helping me behind the scenes and also suggested trying the C2 profile. This gave some promising results - I kept it in sensored mode but then dialed up the boast to 45 (roughly between 5000 and 20,000) rpm and left timing advance at 80. This noticeable increased both forward and reverse speeds. Reverse was still faster but at least forward had some "rip" to it.

Our local track has a practice session tomorrow, so I'll give it a go and see how the car feels.

The only other thing I can think of trying is going out and getting a Tekin motor and seeing if it performs any differently. However there are clearly tons of people who have run Novak Ballistics successfully with Tekin RS speed controls, so I doubt that this would make any difference.
Old 10-06-2010, 10:43 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Spdjunky
Could I ask for a hand with a problem I have with an RS.

I'm using a RS and a Tekin 17.5 in a SCT. I'm running in sensored mode and all settings are right as I run the same setup in two trucks.

Every now and then it will not apply timing advance/boost or turbo. I'm trying to figure out if it is the cable, motor or ESC.

I though I read something months ago about spinning the wheels and checking the leds?

Shouldnt I be able to keep most of the settings and run in unsensored mode?

The power it puts out when it acts up is equivalant to my old LRP Sphere. Huge difference!! lol
It is often a faulty sensor wire, making the esc switch to sensorless mode. When you rotate the motor by hand, the first 3 led's will very feintly light up in sequence. If any of them are not, the esc's not picking up that sensor.
It can also be a faulty circuit board on the motor causing the problem, but a new sensor wire is the cheapest and fastest check in the first instance
Old 10-06-2010, 11:30 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

I'm just learning the programming and could use a little help.
I got this starting setup for 1/12, 10.5 from Trevor Coult's article. How should I tweak it for 13.5 and 17.5?
Thanks

Motor Timing: 0 degrees
Rollout: 58mm per rev (subtract about 10mm per rev for NiMh)
Drag Brake: 5
Reverse Strength: Off
Brake Strength: 96
Neutral Width: 10
Motor Type: BL-FW
Throttle Profile: 3
Voltage Cutoff: 1S
Push Control: Off
Boost: 40
Turbo: 0
Reverse Motor: Off
1S LiPo: On
Turbo Delay: n/a
Sensored: On
End RPM: 10516
Start RPM: 2758
Turbo Ramp: n/a
Old 10-06-2010, 11:59 AM
Tech Apprentice

[QUOTE=JR007;8034572]Did you check the wiring like someone else mentioned? Maybe try and swap two of the wires connected to the motor and see if that helps.

[QUOTE=Kuttermax;8031752]Yes, I've tried changing the wiring, changing out the motor (but always a Novak Ballistic), reversing the wiring etc.

The catch is that I have a second vehicle (SC-R), also with a Tekin RS and Novak Ballistic, and it does the same thing - reverse faster than forward. It has a 10.5 and I hadn't really noticed the problem because I have some boost turned on and it was performing reasonably well. Only after activating reverse and check did I notice that reverse is faster on that vehicle too.

Here is a Youtube clip showing the wiring on the RB5 with Novak 17.5 installed.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y5kByvg4tHQ
Old 10-06-2010, 05:33 PM
Tech Adept

Strange problem today with a new Tekin RS I just dropped into my 1/10 Kyosho RB5 buggy with Novak Ballistic 13.5.

I set it up fully sensored with TP3 default. 25 drag brake, 10 neutral point, brakes 80. Kopropo radio - mostly at defaults. I dialed the Novak endbell back to 15 degrees from the stock 30, with the goal to get more low end before boost kicks in at a little of 5k rpm.

With this setup the car felt very slow. There was very little punch, which made jumping tough. In fact one person sailed high above me before landing right on top of me and snapping his chassis in half.

I took my car off the track after the qualifier and blipped the throttle a few times and you could tell power was way down. I had left reversed on (with delay). Interestingly when I blipped reverse I had tons of power - so only forward was affected.

With Kopropo radios, the throttle is by default set to "reverse". I switched to normal to see if this was the problem, but then it would not allow me to calibrate the speed control, so i went back to the "reverse" setting.

I msg'd Randy already, but wondering if anyone else has an idea? I'm going to re-solder connects, try a different motor, and if this fails, likely send RS to Tekin to look at.

Any thoughts?
If you haven't already try turning the motor timing back up. I seem to remember that some Novak motors don't like it (lose power) if the timing is lowered past the N mark.
Old 10-06-2010, 05:56 PM
avs
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by CanyonCarverR1
I'm just learning the programming and could use a little help.
I got this starting setup for 1/12, 10.5 from Trevor Coult's article. How should I tweak it for 13.5 and 17.5?
Thanks

Motor Timing: 0 degrees
Rollout: 58mm per rev (subtract about 10mm per rev for NiMh)
Drag Brake: 5
Reverse Strength: Off
Brake Strength: 96
Neutral Width: 10
Motor Type: BL-FW
Throttle Profile: 3
Voltage Cutoff: 1S
Push Control: Off
Boost: 40
Turbo: 0
Reverse Motor: Off
1S LiPo: On
Turbo Delay: n/a
Sensored: On
End RPM: 10516
Start RPM: 2758
Turbo Ramp: n/a
check out the setups that are already on tekin's website. there are 13.5 and 17.5 examples for 1/12. the 203 and 208 versions are equally useful guides.

in general you will use higher rollout (like 80's), more boost (like 50) some turbo (maybe 10) and lower end RPM.
Old 10-06-2010, 10:48 PM
Tech Master

Yes, I've tried changing the wiring, changing out the motor (but always a Novak Ballistic), reversing the wiring etc.

The catch is that I have a second vehicle (SC-R), also with a Tekin RS and Novak Ballistic, and it does the same thing - reverse faster than forward. It has a 10.5 and I hadn't really noticed the problem because I have some boost turned on and it was performing reasonably well. Only after activating reverse and check did I notice that reverse is faster on that vehicle too.

Here is a Youtube clip showing the wiring on the RB5 with Novak 17.5 installed.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y5kByvg4tHQ
What is your motor timing like? It's not retarded past zero or something like that ?
Old 10-07-2010, 05:13 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by JR007
What is your motor timing like? It's not retarded past zero or something like that ?
On the Novak Ballistics the out of the box timing is set at +30. You can adjust the endbell back to 15 or up to about 40 or 45 based on the marks on the can.

For the most part I have left the timing at 30 but at one point I dialed back to 15 to see if I got more torque at low RPM.

Last night I took my two vehicles out to the track.

In my RB5, I had a Novak Ballistic 17.5. Timing on the can left at the "out of the box" 30. I used a C2 profile, as recommended by Randy, and dialed the boost to "MAX". I ran fully sensored with boost kicking in around 5000 rpm and ending around 20000. This definitely sped the car up a fair bit, but low end punch was lacking at did make some of the bigger jumps difficult unless I could really run up to them. Motor temps stayed very low (31pinion, 72 spur) at not more than 100.

In the SC-R I ran a Novak Ballistic 10.5. I also did the C2 profile and maxed out the boost. This vehicle was plenty fast and motor temps started getting quite warm after about 10-15 minutes (18t pinion, 82 spur). Could likely drop down another tooth or two on the pinion).

I'm convinved I'm still getting more timing advance in reverse, compared to forward, but I'm able to compensate by pushing the boost settings in the Hotwire software.

The real test will come tomorrow when I throw in new Tekin BL motor and see what happens.
Old 10-07-2010, 05:26 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Default esc setup 21.5

Can anyone pm me a decent start base setup for a 21.5? Running ballistic. Medium sized asphalt track with medium to high traction. Fast flowing technical circuit. Acceleration is more the key. Any help would be appreciated
Old 10-07-2010, 10:52 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

Randy,

Any word why ROAR no longer allows 208 in sportman class?

http://www.roarracing.com/?page_id=737

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.