R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 09-09-2010, 07:03 AM   #16981
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjfo80 View Post
David I worked here in Australia on a re manufacturing line of electronic components and you can do it alot of ways... But make sure static electricity is the last thing that comes in contact with the speedie. You can even go as far as using warm soapy water to clean and then compressed air to dry... Just make sure its completely dry before putting it all back together and powering it up. You can also go to a electronics shop ( I am not sure what you have where you are) and buy a circuit board cleaner which is in a pressure pack can and spray all over the speedie and all its components and again make sure its dry before putting it back together. Its a alcohol based product that is cold so make sure you dont put it straight on hot components either...
Its a very good product and we used gallons of the stuff to clean rust, solder residue (flux) to dirt and dust. It doesnt corrode anything as thats what the stuff was designed for.
Good luck
CRC's quick dry Electronic cleaner should be easy to find world wide.
http://www.amazon.com/CRC-05103-Quic.../dp/B000BXOGNI
I use a lot of it and have resurrected many corroded computer components and circuit boards that have had alkaline batteries leak on them.

As was mentioned before be careful with these products as they come out cold and can cause condensation on components. I always blow off with compressed air after using it.

This stuff also works well at degreasing bearings and cleaning out shocks.
spongerX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 09:07 AM   #16982
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

sponger I just didnt say any names of the solvent as in different countries is always different on whats allowed to be used. due to epa and so on.
Any questions more than willing to help.
jjfo80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 02:58 PM   #16983
pmc
Tech Adept

Hello

What is the best brand of brushless modified motors for use with the Esc RS PRO Apart from the Tekin motors ??

And what is the most commonly used winding??

Thanks in advance.
Best Regards:
Pedro Silva
pmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 03:22 PM   #16984
Tech Apprentice

Thanks for the radio help guys, someone at the track helped me upload 208 onto my RS, we then recalibrated the radio. I didn't realize brushless needed such a big pinion and small spur to make my B4 fly.

I do have a question about the novak ballistic I've been using. According to Novak, the "N" is at the 30 degree timing mark that is on my motor. I thought I was supposed to dial it down to 0* when using the RS?

Last edited by JohnWinn; 09-10-2010 at 12:08 PM.
JohnWinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 11:22 PM   #16985
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmc View Post
Hello

What is the best brand of brushless modified motors for use with the Esc RS PRO Apart from the Tekin motors ??

And what is the most commonly used winding??

Thanks in advance.
Best Regards:
Pedro Silva
Pedro mate there is so many motors out there its all about feel and what it does for you with your setup and combo.... So I found using a sensored motor is the best and run the speedie in hybrid mode so it goes from sensored to sensorless all controlled by the speedie...

As for windings well you can go as low as you want and watch your temps with the baterry and motor and esc because of timing and fdr or rollout.
It usally depends on where you race and what everyone else is using for a winding ( class racing )but if your just playing around and not racing anyone then use whatever you like.
If your using a low winding motor make sure your wiring and your battery can deliver what the speedie and motor needs otherwise heat will be a issue.

You need everything to work as one not one thing to work good and the rest to fall around it...

Hope this helps
Old 09-10-2010, 04:23 AM   #16986
pmc
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjfo80 View Post
Pedro mate there is so many motors out there its all about feel and what it does for you with your setup and combo.... So I found using a sensored motor is the best and run the speedie in hybrid mode so it goes from sensored to sensorless all controlled by the speedie...

As for windings well you can go as low as you want and watch your temps with the baterry and motor and esc because of timing and fdr or rollout.
It usally depends on where you race and what everyone else is using for a winding ( class racing )but if your just playing around and not racing anyone then use whatever you like.
If your using a low winding motor make sure your wiring and your battery can deliver what the speedie and motor needs otherwise heat will be a issue.

You need everything to work as one not one thing to work good and the rest to fall around it...

Hope this helps

Hello

thanks for the Help.

Best regards:
Pedro silva
pmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 06:26 AM   #16987
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 54 (100%+)

Got myself a tc5r in a trade. I have a rs pro coming and have a novak 10.5. We run indoor carpet on a small technical track, straight stretch might be 50ft at most. Can anyone recommend proper gearing and esc setup?
Thanks
Old 09-10-2010, 12:41 PM   #16988
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by portyansky View Post
Got myself a tc5r in a trade. I have a rs pro coming and have a novak 10.5. We run indoor carpet on a small technical track, straight stretch might be 50ft at most. Can anyone recommend proper gearing and esc setup?
Thanks
Mate I am sure someone will be able to help u for sure.... I havent driven on carpet so I dont know what that would be like..... Still learning the tc5r and brushless well is a whole different ball game from 10 years ago when I used to race.

Good luck with it and hope someone can help u out... I only know from what I have researched. and common sense....
Old 09-10-2010, 01:59 PM   #16989
Tech Master

Have a look around the Tekin website at www.teamtekin.com as there is a lot of good info like driver set-ups etc. Also for the car set-up, www.rc10.com has plenty of stuff for the TC5. Don't forget www.gearchart.com either, there is some good stuff there.

My car just hit 88mph. I hope it comes back soon....
JR007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 03:06 PM   #16990
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Is tekin pretty much the only Boost Speed Controller worth buying?
Akhor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 03:12 PM   #16991
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

With all due respect...you're in the Tekin thread...I suspect that most will answer "yes" .

I've been really, really happy with the 2 that I have. I love that I haven't had to buy a new ESC in 2 seasons and they've almost always been competitive.

Having said that, I think there are lots of people that are happy with other advanced timing ESC like SP, Hobbywing, MMPro, etc. so I'd go with what's available and what others are using at your track.

Cheers,
Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akhor View Post
Old 09-11-2010, 01:27 AM   #16992
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akhor View Post
There are a couple of options apart from the Tekin, each have their strong points and weaknesses. The Tekin is one of three that I recomend if I'm asked for advice

I have an RS Pro and I'm very happy with it. My only real gripe is with the GUI on hotwire.

Last edited by nerdling; 09-11-2010 at 01:38 AM.
nerdling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 01:30 AM   #16993
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by portyansky View Post
Thanks
As a starting point, turn the boost off and most of the timing advance.

Work out the gearing.

Add in some (not much) advance (in incremental steps), keep an eye on the temps.

You probably won't need the boost.

This was pretty much the approach I took with my Tekin and other Dynamic timing ESC's for racing with a 13.5.
Old 09-11-2010, 06:28 AM   #16994
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 101 (100%+)

timing advance and timing boost are two different things,timing advance is only in dual mode and only uses 30* of timing,timing boost is in sensored and uses 55 and 20 turbo + motor,i think what nerdling may be refering to is timing boost and turbo,turn the turbo off no motor and around 30* of timing boost to start
Old 09-11-2010, 07:12 AM   #16995
Tech Initiate

Hi guyz, could you please taky a look at my setup and tell me what do you think? Car is Xray T3, motor LRP X12 17.5T with -10 timing, gearing 6.4, small outdoor asphalt track, rubber tires.
Timing advance 0
Boost 55
Start 3095
End 17993
Turbo 20
Delay 0.04
Ramp 2.0

Have no problem with engine temparature.
Also im going to race indoor carpet w rubber in winter, could you reccomend something for that?
Thanks a lot..