R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 09-06-2010, 02:33 PM   #16951
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnWinn View Post
I'll give those changes a try, thanks.
If you have to bind your rx to your tx, first set your throttle to reverse and bind your rx, then go ahead and calibrate your esc with your radio. failure to do this could cause your esc to go into full throttle in the event of a signal loss. Have had this happen in the past but, if you take care of that first, you should have no worries.
EVILGRAFX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 04:08 PM   #16952
PDR
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)
Default Redline sensor assembly

Not sure if this is the best place to ask, but since my motor's hooked up to an RS, why not?

My TC took a big sideways hit a little while ago and where the sensor cable plugs into the motor copped a beating and is quite distorted. The plastic socket on the motor itself is quite bent and the pins aren't straight anymore. I've carefully replaced the sensor cable, but not confident the socket assembly will last another hit.

It's a little hard to see from the Tekin website diagram of the motor, but does the TT2283 "sensor assembly" carry the socket as well? If I order one of these, will it be a straight out swap for my damaged one?

Phil.
Making an A Main at a Scotty Ernst event. Awesome. Scotty calling you first in A1. Priceless
PDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 04:25 PM   #16953
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDR View Post
Not sure if this is the best place to ask, but since my motor's hooked up to an RS, why not?

My TC took a big sideways hit a little while ago and where the sensor cable plugs into the motor copped a beating and is quite distorted. The plastic socket on the motor itself is quite bent and the pins aren't straight anymore. I've carefully replaced the sensor cable, but not confident the socket assembly will last another hit.

It's a little hard to see from the Tekin website diagram of the motor, but does the TT2283 "sensor assembly" carry the socket as well? If I order one of these, will it be a straight out swap for my damaged one?

Phil.

Is your motor a Tekin motor? If not that diagram might not be of any use to you.
STLNLST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 04:34 PM   #16954
PDR
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by STLNLST View Post
Is your motor a Tekin motor? If not that diagram might not be of any use to you.
Er, yes - it's a 21.5 Redline...
Making an A Main at a Scotty Ernst event. Awesome. Scotty calling you first in A1. Priceless
Old 09-06-2010, 05:40 PM   #16955
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Quote:
Just checking cause you didn't say what motor type you had in your previous post.
STLNLST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 09:21 PM   #16956
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Phil it has the plug on the sensor board...

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Tekin-Redline...item415259b6d1

If u get just the end bells then it wond have the plug.. like this

http://cgi.ebay.com/Tekin-TEKTT2281-...item588432cc10

Maybe check if anyone at the club has blown a redline.. should be able to get the PCB off that..

Cheers mate

Quote:
warnos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 07:14 AM   #16957
Team Tekin

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to Randy_Pike

Yes the "motor PCB" part will have the port/socket installed.

Tekin,Protek,A-Main Hobbies,JConcepts,Avid RC,Yokomo,MIP,SikLidz,FactoryRC, www.randypikerc.com
Randy_Pike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 07:19 AM   #16958
PDR
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy_Pike View Post
Yes the "motor PCB" part will have the port/socket installed.
Thanks - just gotta find one now
Old 09-07-2010, 07:43 AM   #16959
Bus
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Gents not to get big into details. I have a question about the Tekin Rs Pro. Apparently it can be adjusted to make a 17.5 into a mod.

My question is this. Is Roar going to do something about this? Or in order to be competitive in stock you must buy this $220. ESC?

Third most of the ESC on the market say the timing can be adjusted like the Castle Momba Max Pro. However I have not seen anything even come close to the Tekin.
John 3:16, Losi 2.0, Losi 2.0 T, B4.1, B44.1
Sponsored by Wife
Bus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 08:04 AM   #16960
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to L.Fairtrace

That is probably a question you want to ask ROAR not Tekin.

The RS doesnt exactly make a 17.5 into a mod but it sure makes it rip.

Also you dont need to spend 220 to run the "stock class" now the RS which is all that is needed for anything 10.5 and over in Touring is about 160.

The speedo is also updatable with hotwire. I have been competitive with my Tekin for the past 2+ years during all these timing advancements and I haven't had to buy a new speedo. Cant say the same for other manufactures.

180 and 360 Raceway. Best on the East Coast. Take your pick
L.Fairtrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 08:55 AM   #16961
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bus View Post
Gents not to get big into details. I have a question about the Tekin Rs Pro. Apparently it can be adjusted to make a 17.5 into a mod.

My question is this. Is Roar going to do something about this? Or in order to be competitive in stock you must buy this $220. ESC?

Third most of the ESC on the market say the timing can be adjusted like the Castle Momba Max Pro. However I have not seen anything even come close to the Tekin.
The two fastest drivers at my track are currently using ORCA vritra speedos (costs around $200). Those two guys could use just about any comparable speedo though and still be the fastest, but I'm pretty sure I would win in a drag race against them . LRP, Speed Passion and Hobbywing also make very competitive products. Probably a few others as well. I think the only speedo that currently costs less than an RS, that has only recently become somewhat comparable in performance, is the Hobbywing xerun. Every other ESC I've seen that can keep up to an RS in stock classes is more expensive than a Tekin RS. I would definitely buy another RS or RS Pro. Tekin make some fantastic products with great support to back them up.

Bottom line, if you want to keep up in an open ESC stock class there are plenty of different speedos that are good, but most cost more than a Tekin RS and are not any faster. If you have an issue with this, run in one of the non boosted classes.
locked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 09:28 AM   #16962
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Quote:

Most of the top speedos out there are on pace with each other at the moment.

Tekin RS
AE Black Diamond
LRP SXX Stock Spec
Novak Kinetic
Speedpassion GT2.1
Hobbywing (??)
Orca (??)
Old 09-07-2010, 11:21 AM   #16963
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Randy, sent you a PM.
jdearhart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 12:51 PM   #16964
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Quote:

First off 17.5 no matter how much timing is still not as fast as mod in raw power and acceleration. It may be getting close to as fast as mod around the track, but only on short tracks. Any larger tracks and mod cars will just walk away from the 10.5 and below motors.

ROAR in my opinion really doesn't need to do anything about this. If everyone is running 17.5 then you will end up driving in the main that you deserve most of the time. Raw power is not something that makes you more competitive. If you want to go faster invest in the new controllers. Almost all now have timing advance and are getting to the point where when set up correctly can be just as fast as the next. The other thought is if this a problem, then maybe spec classes should go away and we electric guys be more like they are in nitro. Everyone runs the same motor size and you are separated by driving ability. And just because there is a limit on motor size does not mean that they are all the same power wise. If you spend more then your motor will be faster and more efficient. I get really tired of people talking about the "esc" is killing racing. I have seen enough in brushed racing to know that this is not the case. Nothing has changed. Except that you now can with average means come to a big event and be just as fast as everyone else and don't' have to spend a fortune to get there. I don't have to change my brushes every third run, or only cycle my batteries once a week to ensure peak power, or have eight packs to practice, or have a com lathe, etc....... all this nonsense just drives me crazy. And if you are looking to save a dime get a Hobbywing or Mamba max pro both are well under 150$ and are just as fast as anything and they are updatable.
Old 09-07-2010, 01:07 PM   #16965
Tech Fanatic

Default Well said!

+1. Manufacturers will go wherever they need to in order to gain an advantage. If it's not the speedo it will be the motor, and if not either of them it will be the battery. In over 35 years of racing I have never EVER seen something that is simple and equalises the speed game. Stock motors? Don't make me laugh! Control tyres - controlled expense more like!

The only argument that holds any water for me is this - the entry-level cars are too fast for new drivers, and they experience frustration at not being able to control the car enough to race with their peers. In an effort to correct this, there are ever-increasing variations in motors we recommend. 17.5, 21.5, etc.

In this respect, the non-advancing speedos have a big role to play. By buying a Tekin RS/RS Pro, and using profile one, the car on 17.5 is controllable and fun to drive. New drivers can learn their craft and be able to learn set-ups and driving techniques. Once they want to go faster, they switch to a profile from the Tekin website and they have more power - at no cost! No motor to buy, no new speedo, nothing!

In my view, advancing speedos are the biggest contribution to reduced costs we have ever had, allowing people to start slow and then go fast without spending a cent. Any attempt to ban them is not only doomed to failure (you can't uninvent things, and focus will switch to 'motor-of-the-month') it is also condemning drivers to more expenditure than is necessary.
SlowerOne is offline   Reply With Quote