R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-12-2010, 11:27 PM   #16471
Tech Champion
 
STLNLST's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Sacramento
Posts: 8,999
Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)
Default

CAn't wait to run again. The Chipotle Grand Prix will be fun on the 28th.
STLNLST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 03:38 AM   #16472
Tech Regular
 
darrenoakley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Dorset UK
Posts: 266
Default

Having problems with the RS think it could be the capacitor settings have not changed but lack of power on pull away. If i stay still for a bit it seems to have more punch as if the cap is charging from the battery.
Any ideas ?
__________________
Xray x11
Xray T3 011
darrenoakley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 03:48 AM   #16473
Tech Regular
 
TrevCoult's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Worksop, Nottinghamshire, UK
Posts: 355
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by darrenoakley View Post
Having problems with the RS think it could be the capacitor settings have not changed but lack of power on pull away. If i stay still for a bit it seems to have more punch as if the cap is charging from the battery.
Any ideas ?
That sounds like the transmitter end point wandering problem.

Try calibrating your Tx to the RS with the throttle end point set to 90 percent, than change it to 100 percent after finishing the calibration.

If you've already done this try different cells as a bad pack can also have a similar effect.

Also double check all your solder joints and connectors.

Trev
__________________
Schumacher Atom GT12
Schumacher Eclipse 12th
www.carsrcracing.co.uk
CARSrcracing.co.uk Webmaster
Schumacher Racing
TrevCoult is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 04:05 AM   #16474
Tech Regular
 
darrenoakley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Dorset UK
Posts: 266
Default

I always calibrate that way so wouldn't have thought it would be that mate. the cells idea sound possible as they dont seem as punchy as they used to. Both my lipos are nearly a year old now but I dont particularly look after them well as I only expect them to last a year. Seem to take longer to charge as well now.
Is there a way of telling from the internal resistance if they are shot ?

Cheers Darren
__________________
Xray x11
Xray T3 011
darrenoakley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 04:16 AM   #16475
Tech Regular
 
TrevCoult's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Worksop, Nottinghamshire, UK
Posts: 355
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by darrenoakley View Post
I always calibrate that way so wouldn't have thought it would be that mate. the cells idea sound possible as they dont seem as punchy as they used to. Both my lipos are nearly a year old now but I dont particularly look after them well as I only expect them to last a year. Seem to take longer to charge as well now.
Is there a way of telling from the internal resistance if they are shot ?

Cheers Darren
I'm no expert on cells but mine started to go off half way through an 8 minute run, no punch. A few weeks later started to swell slightly. That was after about 6 months of running every week. That was with SMC 4900s, a few seem to have had those go off.

Trev
__________________
Schumacher Atom GT12
Schumacher Eclipse 12th
www.carsrcracing.co.uk
CARSrcracing.co.uk Webmaster
Schumacher Racing
TrevCoult is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 04:24 AM   #16476
Tech Regular
 
TrevCoult's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Worksop, Nottinghamshire, UK
Posts: 355
Default

Forgot to mention, the more times they were used in a day, the worse they got.

Trev
__________________
Schumacher Atom GT12
Schumacher Eclipse 12th
www.carsrcracing.co.uk
CARSrcracing.co.uk Webmaster
Schumacher Racing
TrevCoult is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 04:32 AM   #16477
Tech Fanatic
 
Julius's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Amsterdam Netherlands
Posts: 979
Default

Did anyone ever try using only a single 1.2v NiMH cell in series with the 1S Lipo to boost voltage to the radio? I'd think that could well work and save some weight and/or electronics?

Just looking at the various options for RX power for my 1S 1:12...
__________________
Team Serpent, Xceed, Sanwa, LRP
Julius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 04:36 AM   #16478
Tech Elite
 
nerdling's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Canberra
Posts: 2,849
Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mazmo View Post
nerdling ... how much motor timing are u using?

thanks in advance
depending upon the track either 0deg or 10 deg.

Motors are trinity duo1 (10.5 and 13.5) or an LRP 10.5.
__________________
--XRAY--NOSRAM--PROTOFORM--MUCHMORE--
www.teamxray.com -- www.hudy.net -- www.hobbyexpress.com.au
nerdling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 05:50 AM   #16479
Tech Elite
 
Skiddins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Windsor, UK
Posts: 4,762
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julius View Post
Did anyone ever try using only a single 1.2v NiMH cell in series with the 1S Lipo to boost voltage to the radio? I'd think that could well work and save some weight and/or electronics?

Just looking at the various options for RX power for my 1S 1:12...
1 NiMH cell weighs more that a booster etc.

Mixing types of batteries in series sounds like a very bad idea as the nominal voltages, efficiency and power characteristics are completely different.
__________________
Xray T4'18, T4'14 (Wet Car)
Xray X12 2018
Xray X1'16
wlrc.co.uk (West London Racing Centre)
RCDisco.co.uk
Skiddins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 05:54 AM   #16480
Tech Regular
 
TrevCoult's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Worksop, Nottinghamshire, UK
Posts: 355
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julius View Post
Did anyone ever try using only a single 1.2v NiMH cell in series with the 1S Lipo to boost voltage to the radio? I'd think that could well work and save some weight and/or electronics?

Just looking at the various options for RX power for my 1S 1:12...
I've seen it done with two NiMH cells, not one, and yes it does work, but everyone I remember that did this has switched to a booster. I think that is because if you get a booster that works well it is fit and forget.

Trev
__________________
Schumacher Atom GT12
Schumacher Eclipse 12th
www.carsrcracing.co.uk
CARSrcracing.co.uk Webmaster
Schumacher Racing
TrevCoult is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 09:38 AM   #16481
Tech Regular
 
darrenoakley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Dorset UK
Posts: 266
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrevCoult View Post
That sounds like the transmitter end point wandering problem.

Try calibrating your Tx to the RS with the throttle end point set to 90 percent, than change it to 100 percent after finishing the calibration.

If you've already done this try different cells as a bad pack can also have a similar effect.

Also double check all your solder joints and connectors.

Trev
Sorted the problem,turned out to be the sensor board on the motor. Changed motors and it was fine. Cheers for the help though.
__________________
Xray x11
Xray T3 011
darrenoakley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 10:52 AM   #16482
Tech Fanatic
 
Julius's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Amsterdam Netherlands
Posts: 979
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrevCoult View Post
I've seen it done with two NiMH cells, not one, and yes it does work, but everyone I remember that did this has switched to a booster. I think that is because if you get a booster that works well it is fit and forget.

Trev
Thanks for that. However I feel a booster is bad for performance compared to a battery.
As you already have so little voltage in 1S I think using seperate pack for the RX equipment would be beneficial.
Using a cell in series however also would draw current from the main pack....

I guess I need to look at a small life pack or small nimh. More work due charging though. I guess the weight is not an issue as the cars are underweight in 1s anyway?
__________________
Team Serpent, Xceed, Sanwa, LRP
Julius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 12:46 PM   #16483
Tech Elite
 
M-Technic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Palm Beach, FL
Posts: 2,562
Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julius View Post
Thanks for that. However I feel a booster is bad for performance compared to a battery.
As you already have so little voltage in 1S I think using seperate pack for the RX equipment would be beneficial.
Using a cell in series however also would draw current from the main pack....

I guess I need to look at a small life pack or small nimh. More work due charging though. I guess the weight is not an issue as the cars are underweight in 1s anyway?
LiFe receiver packs are small and light. That is what all our locals use.
__________________
RCAmerica | Xray | Hudy | Radiopost | Speed Passion USA | Trinity | P3 Graphics
M-Technic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 01:07 PM   #16484
Tech Master
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 1,920
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidecarphil1 View Post
hey guys

got the brakes working but the speedo seems to have lost all its power

i tried various setups with it including my best lap time setup but it is now 2 seconds a lap slower , i can go full throttle coming into the corner and it doesnt seam to pull

motor temps are only 45 to 60 degrees C

we have a 210ft straight with a flowing quick track

any ideas the only way i can get it to move well is to MAX timing and MAX turbo with gearing of 6.8 !!!
any one with any ideas PLEASE
sidecarphil1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 01:15 PM   #16485
Tech Regular
 
darrenoakley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Dorset UK
Posts: 266
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by M-Technic View Post
LiFe receiver packs are small and light. That is what all our locals use.

I second that I am using a IP 200mah 6.6 life pack and its about the same size as the tekin rs but maybe a little flatter. I have also ordered 3x lipo 7.4 300mah packs (2.50 each)as there also quite small and still wont make the weight up to pre lipo weights. Also with 4 packs I will be able to go all night without charging them.
__________________
Xray x11
Xray T3 011
darrenoakley is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Tekin Redline RS Sensored ESC and motors, opinions for offroad? Cain Electric Off-Road 4230 06-07-2015 04:38 PM
Sensored vs. Sensorless lemansracer Electric On-Road 71 02-14-2009 03:19 AM
New Tekin Redline Sensored Motors are Roar Legal! Randy_Pike Electric On-Road 3 08-05-2008 02:08 AM
Tekin Redline Sensored 10.5 HUCKMAN Electric On-Road 6 07-15-2008 08:50 PM
sensored vs sensorless bprocket Rookie Zone 5 05-16-2008 09:38 AM


Tags
v203, vegas 2.0


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 04:44 PM.


We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net