R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 07-30-2010, 11:16 PM   #16126
avs
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AUDI 0000 View Post
I posted last week about problems with set-up for a 21.5 sportsman touring class (open, just NO TURBO BOOST, timing boost OK). My post was an hour before 208 was available so the topic changed very quickly. I have 208, 21.5 tekin motor, asphalt track 100ft x 50ft. I have been going by advice from the other Tekin users at the track ( and nothing is working for me, I have melted a few motors already w 203, now I have brand new Tekin 21.5, it has came off track at 198f about 3 times now in last 2 meets trying to get it figured out). I have tried gearing from 5.1 to 6.7..... I am not using drag or push, I have had timing boost vary from 45-55 ( by advice, others all use MAX). I am mad slow down back straight, Once I thought I had it right, the car was crazy fast for @ 8 laps then crazy slow, off at 198f. That time at 6.1 max timing. Please help, I have had nothing but problems and melted motors trying to get situated since 203. I want to keep up with the others on the straight, most have tekins, a couple MMP, SP ect. It has been fine in infield through all FDRs. I know I am doing something wrong, and before you ask I have a EVO V and TRF416, both super smooth drivetrains, no binding... THANKS SORRY SO LONG
overheating problems within 8laps suggests that you are overtimed. with the 40-50 degree boost you ought to have 0 timing on the motor. if you do have 0 on the motor, then perhaps boost rpm band is so low that it is giving too much timing at too low an rpm.

what rpm range are you using?
Old 07-30-2010, 11:26 PM   #16127
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AUDI 0000 View Post
I posted last week about problems with set-up for a 21.5 sportsman touring class (open, just NO TURBO BOOST, timing boost OK). My post was an hour before 208 was available so the topic changed very quickly. I have 208, 21.5 tekin motor, asphalt track 100ft x 50ft. I have been going by advice from the other Tekin users at the track ( and nothing is working for me, I have melted a few motors already w 203, now I have brand new Tekin 21.5, it has came off track at 198f about 3 times now in last 2 meets trying to get it figured out). I have tried gearing from 5.1 to 6.7..... I am not using drag or push, I have had timing boost vary from 45-55 ( by advice, others all use MAX). I am mad slow down back straight, Once I thought I had it right, the car was crazy fast for @ 8 laps then crazy slow, off at 198f. That time at 6.1 max timing. Please help, I have had nothing but problems and melted motors trying to get situated since 203. I want to keep up with the others on the straight, most have tekins, a couple MMP, SP ect. It has been fine in infield through all FDRs. I know I am doing something wrong, and before you ask I have a EVO V and TRF416, both super smooth drivetrains, no binding... THANKS SORRY SO LONG
And a few people answered you last time, saying you're way off with the gear ratio.

Try like a 4.6 final drive, and start with 5-20k RPM range, with like 40 timing in the ESC, and 12* on the endbell. See how it goes and work the end RPM down and timing up from there.

-Mike
grippgoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 11:28 PM   #16128
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Sorry, motor is stock (not touched)tekin redline. I have used 5k-15k range and 3k-11k range both results were too hot. I have people telling me gear higher, & people saying gear lower, I am hoping someone has a similar class or settings. I know that at least 4 tekin users are MAX timing @6.0 and way lower temps which I dont understand, but I temped thier motors with my snap-on infared gun and got 140f ish, Iam @198f w same settings.
Old 07-30-2010, 11:34 PM   #16129
Tech Adept

My enytire set-up now is
Tamiya EVO V ms, super smooth drive train,
208 version, have tried 5ish to 6.7ish FDR, right now at 5.1
No drag, No push, No curreny limit,
Timing Boost 50
No turbo, Asphalt track 100x50ft
RPM 5k-15k... off at 198f last time out
new (before 3 close to 200f runs, tekin redline 21.5)motor & rs esc.
Old 07-30-2010, 11:36 PM   #16130
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hanulec View Post
I'd highly recommend you look at running the Tekin software within a Windows Virtual Machine. For MacOS there are two popular virtualization software packages:

#1 http://www.vmware.com/products/fusion/
#2 http://www.parallels.com/products/desktop/

Today I run Tekin Hot Wire within Windows XP 32-bit, running within the free VMware Player ontop of my Lenovo S10 running Ubuntu Linux. I'm not the biggest fan of Windows OS... nor would I even think about bringing an expensive Mac laptop to the track. Inexpensive netbooks are great for the track (or really just about any time of personal computing)
VirtualBox is another popular choice, and entirely free.
syndr0me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 11:46 PM   #16131
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by grippgoat View Post
And a few people answered you last time, saying you're way off with the gear ratio.

Try like a 4.6 final drive, and start with 5-20k RPM range, with like 40 timing in the ESC, and 12* on the endbell. See how it goes and work the end RPM down and timing up from there.
I had GTB
-Mike
I did get a couple replies last time, (then 208 started with many post) but at the time the lowest I could go was 4.9 with gearing that I had. That still was too hot (even w no turbo and @40 timing), I have since purchased many spurs and pinions so I can try anything. The FAST guy at my track was saying I was geared way too high (at 4.9 after driving my car) and told me I needed to be in the 6s range. I know everyone is trying to help, but its getting hard for me roasting motors, buying motors, and just wanting to hang on the straight. I am newer to the hobby ( @ 1 year now) and all this ESC boostin started @ when I did. I had GTB then outta no where it was Tekin Tekin Tekin. Like I said, no problems on the infield, just majorly slow on straight... Again Thanks for your opinions. I just want to figure it out.
Old 07-31-2010, 12:35 AM   #16132
Tech Adept

AUDI 0000:

Not all motors are built the same. perhaps you should test out your motor in 'Dual' mode first and gear it with a recommended fdr. (ref: novak suggests fdr~3.75 for a Novak 21.5R motor)

Dont worry about the speed first, just temp the motor after 2 mins to see if it falls within normal temp. Dual mode should produce less heat than sensored mode.

If the temp is still too high, then maybe its your motor.

Another question is, what spur size and pinion size are you using to achieve your FDR? A larger spur + larger pinion combo would be easier to the motor compared to a smaller spur + smaller pinion combo (assuming the same ratio). This is just the way physics works on pulley systems.

check your gear meshing make sure it has some 'play' between spur & pinion.

Last question is: what type of batteries are u using? how many mAh and 'c' rating?

I hope this helps.

Last edited by hardmankam; 07-31-2010 at 12:58 AM.
hardmankam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 12:59 AM   #16133
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 79 (100%+)

Ok, so this evening I was getting my car setup. Made a few quick throttle snap across my floor and snap! Blew up a rotor. Now my RS doesn't turn on. It powers my RX, but not the ESC.

I'm guessing it shorted out in the motor then the ESC? Sounds like it is going to have to get sent in.
Old 07-31-2010, 02:52 AM   #16134
Tech Adept

Default Drifting Tekin RS Pro Esc 4.5t gets super duper ultra hot!!!????

saap yaal!

so heres my set up, questions regarding my rs pro redline system......

****my esc gets super hot still--is it because i am using a bigger than normal drifting tires n rims?

ive dropped down my pinion from 29t all the way down to 25t today and switched back to 26mm t-drifts rims n tires away from LP's hopefully thats the main reason why my esc rs pro gets super duper hot after 10 minute run time of carpet drifting

any advice would b appreciated folks!
i switched from novak to tekin this year -- but this is my only problem i am encountering for drifting----- should i drop pinion down more? for example 19t 64p/ 106t 64p?

generally is using bigger than standard wheels n rims for drifitn causes my 4.5t rspro to overheat? or i just needs to drop my pinion down super low??
tnx folks!!

eb
Old 07-31-2010, 04:03 AM   #16135
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingracer View Post
I understand where you are coming from but I can get a netbook for less than an IPhone. In fact, I can get one for less than one of the other top speedos costs so it's a non issue for me.

Don't expect an app any time soon. It's not a matter of just writing some code unfortunately.
I already got the iPhone.
I also have an MBP, but I would rather leave it at home - it is a little bit to expensive to bring to the track.

Sure, if I had the money, I could buy a cheap-ass netbook. But I still go to school (university) and live on the little money I get from the government, so I can't just buy another laptop.
Even if I could, I won't pay twice as much (speedo + laptop) as LRP or HobbyWing.
Nilks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 04:33 AM   #16136
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nilks View Post
I also have an MBP, but I would rather leave it at home - it is a little bit to expensive to bring to the track.

Sure, if I had the money, I could buy a cheap-ass netbook. But I still go to school (university) and live on the little money I get from the government, so I can't just buy another laptop.
Even if I could, I won't pay twice as much (speedo + laptop) as LRP or HobbyWing.
Laptops aren't that much money you don't need a expencive fast laptop.

I have a old ibm laptop thats kind small I got it for free on Craigs list because the battery is done. has a 400mhz processor and 128mb of ram running windows xp. and works great for the Hotwire and thats all i use it for. Hot wie doesn't take much to run. These laptops are cheap to buy if not free in the $50 and less range.
95lscoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 05:18 AM   #16137
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 101 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pakk View Post
Ok, so this evening I was getting my car setup. Made a few quick throttle snap across my floor and snap! Blew up a rotor. Now my RS doesn't turn on. It powers my RX, but not the ESC.

I'm guessing it shorted out in the motor then the ESC? Sounds like it is going to have to get sent in.
got to go back,was it a novak motor
Old 07-31-2010, 06:21 AM   #16138
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by locked View Post
A Mac is just an overpriced PC with one extra little chip that allows it to legally run OSX. Just do a dual boot with XP or Windows 7.

I prefer using Ubuntu, but it doesn't do everything I need it to do, so I occasionally have to boot into windows for work, to play games or to adjust my ESC. OSX is no different. It doesn't do everything and likely never will.
A Mac is a proper computer, it will last 5+ years easily, while most plastic windows crap computers won't even last 2 years.
I would compare a mac to a Xray and a pc to a Tamiya TT-01.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nilks View Post

I use parallels on my MBP, works great.
I rather take my MBP to the track then waste money on a crappy netbook.
Old 07-31-2010, 07:15 AM   #16139
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 79 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20 SMOKE View Post
got to go back,was it a novak motor
Yea it was.
Old 07-31-2010, 09:16 AM   #16140
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingracer View Post
It has been for years. You used to not only need the laptop but a Dyno too. Add to that battery matchers and everything else. Racing is a technological sport.
RC racing is just a hobby not a sport. About as physical as it gets, is fueling up a 1/8th buggy. All kidding aside does anybody know the best netbook for the money? I really dont like computers so cheaper the better.

Thanks
dmatter is offline   Reply With Quote