R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-24-2010, 11:40 AM   #15841
Tech Champion
 
teeforb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: San Diego & Compton CA
Posts: 7,218
Trader Rating: 94 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to teeforb
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20 SMOKE View Post
Teeforb,read over this.it will help you under stand the settings
http://www.carsrcracing.co.uk/?p=188
Thx, I will check it out now!
__________________
$$ Team High Budget $$
17.5 stock buggy fb page
https://www.facebook.com/groups/17.5stockbuggy/
teeforb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 12:14 PM   #15842
Tech Champion
 
teeforb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: San Diego & Compton CA
Posts: 7,218
Trader Rating: 94 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to teeforb
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20 SMOKE View Post
Teeforb,read over this.it will help you under stand the settings
http://www.carsrcracing.co.uk/?p=188
Good stuff.. but it still seem to have some contradicting info..

read here:

Timing Boost – This is the amount of extra timing added to the motor. This is shown in degrees. The way this timing is introduced to the motor depends on the RPM settings which will be described later.


then read here:

An example. The values shown here are a start RPM of 2758 and an end RPM of 10516. If timing boost has been set to 40 degrees, the timing set by this will not start to come in until the motor has reached 2758 RPM, and will have the full 40 degrees of timing when the motor reaches 10516 RPM.


one says timing boost adds timing, the other says timing boost is the FULL timing. Which one is it? Do it add, or is the timing boost the full timing?
__________________
$$ Team High Budget $$
17.5 stock buggy fb page
https://www.facebook.com/groups/17.5stockbuggy/
teeforb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 12:17 PM   #15843
Tech Lord
 
wingracer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 12,861
Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)
Default

Timing boost ADDS timing. The total amount of timing it adds is the number (40 degrees for example). The start rpm determines when it starts to add timing, the end rpm is the point it will hit a full 40. It ramps the timing up based on the rpm.
__________________
Sean. Certified speed crazed mowron.
Team Shepherd USA
www.ashfordhobby.com
wingracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 12:20 PM   #15844
Tech Champion
 
teeforb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: San Diego & Compton CA
Posts: 7,218
Trader Rating: 94 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to teeforb
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingracer View Post
Timing boost ADDS timing. The total amount of timing it adds is the number (40 degrees for example). The start rpm determines when it starts to add timing, the end rpm is the point it will hit a full 40. It ramps the timing up based on the rpm.
sorry for being so anal here with the wording, but it's important to get this information correct. Shouldn't it say, "the end rpm is the point it will hit the additional 40 degrees"
__________________
$$ Team High Budget $$
17.5 stock buggy fb page
https://www.facebook.com/groups/17.5stockbuggy/
teeforb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 12:22 PM   #15845
Tech Lord
 
wingracer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 12,861
Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by teeforb View Post
sorry for being so anal here with the wording, but it's important to get this information correct. Shouldn't it say, "the end rpm is the point it will hit the additional 40 degrees"
Yes, that's the point that it gets to 40 but it is adding timing before that too, just not the full 40.
__________________
Sean. Certified speed crazed mowron.
Team Shepherd USA
www.ashfordhobby.com
wingracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 12:27 PM   #15846
Tech Champion
 
teeforb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: San Diego & Compton CA
Posts: 7,218
Trader Rating: 94 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to teeforb
Default

for this example, let's say we have advance timing of 80 percent, which is about 25 degrees of timing. with a boost of 40, at the end of the RPM, you will have a total of 40 degrees + 25 degrees = 65 degrees of timing?
__________________
$$ Team High Budget $$
17.5 stock buggy fb page
https://www.facebook.com/groups/17.5stockbuggy/
teeforb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 12:29 PM   #15847
Tech Lord
 
wingracer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 12,861
Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by teeforb View Post
for this example, let's say we have advance timing of 80 percent, which is about 25 degrees of timing. with a boost of 40, at the end of the RPM, you will have a total of 40 degrees + 25 degrees = 65 degrees of timing?
The 80% deal is for dual mode only. That will only do anything if you are running in dual mode or if the sensor wire fails. If you are running sensored, ignore it.
__________________
Sean. Certified speed crazed mowron.
Team Shepherd USA
www.ashfordhobby.com
wingracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 12:33 PM   #15848
Tech Lord
 
20 SMOKE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: HVR_ WEEKI WACHEE FL
Posts: 10,299
Trader Rating: 101 (100%+)
Default

dual mode is timing advance 100%=30deg
sensored mode is motor timing,timing boost and turbo boost
__________________
Jamie W
*Team Tekin*Tekno-rc*DE Racing*AKA*DDHRC*
20 SMOKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 12:34 PM   #15849
Tech Master
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Mooresville, NC
Posts: 1,187
Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)
Default Also

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20 SMOKE View Post
Teeforb,read over this.it will help you under stand the settings
http://www.carsrcracing.co.uk/?p=188
http://rcfaq.weebly.com/tekin-rs--hotwire.html
__________________
Rick "Blue" Sieboldt - Mooresville, NC
* Associated T5M * Tekin * TQ Wire *
www.tqracing.com/rc_products.htm For all your wire needs
lidebt2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 12:39 PM   #15850
Tech Lord
 
wingracer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 12,861
Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)
Default

Let me try to simplify this for you. In SENSORED MODE, there are just three timing adjustments. All three are independent, work in different ways and are cumulative. Here they are:

1. Physical motor timing. This is the endbell setting. Whatever this is, will be in the motor at ALL TIMES. All esc timing adjustments ADD to this.

2. Boost. This adds timing to the motor at adjustable rpm points. The start rpm is when it will start adding timing. The end rpm point is when it will reach max boost timing. The number is the max amount of timing it will add.

3. Turbo. This works similar to Boost but is based on TIME instead of rpm. The number is the amount of timing it will add. The delay is how much time you will have to have the trigger at full throttle before it starts to add the timing. The ramp is how quickly it ramps up the timing AFTER the delay, again based on time instead of rpm.

Again, this is cumulative so they add up. For example:

10 degrees of motor timing, 40 degrees of boost and 5 degrees of turbo means you will have a total of 55 degrees of timing once the motor reaches the end rpm and you have been full throttle for longer than the turbo delay (enough longer for the turbo to be fully ramped up).

Dual mode is a totally different thing and I never use it so someone else will have to explain it if you want to use it.
__________________
Sean. Certified speed crazed mowron.
Team Shepherd USA
www.ashfordhobby.com
wingracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 01:02 PM   #15851
Tech Champion
 
teeforb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: San Diego & Compton CA
Posts: 7,218
Trader Rating: 94 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to teeforb
Default

PERFECT! Much thanks.

Next week will be 1/8th scale electric. So I'll tackle dual mode next week!


Quote:
Originally Posted by wingracer View Post
Let me try to simplify this for you. In SENSORED MODE, there are just three timing adjustments. All three are independent, work in different ways and are cumulative. Here they are:

1. Physical motor timing. This is the endbell setting. Whatever this is, will be in the motor at ALL TIMES. All esc timing adjustments ADD to this.

2. Boost. This adds timing to the motor at adjustable rpm points. The start rpm is when it will start adding timing. The end rpm point is when it will reach max boost timing. The number is the max amount of timing it will add.

3. Turbo. This works similar to Boost but is based on TIME instead of rpm. The number is the amount of timing it will add. The delay is how much time you will have to have the trigger at full throttle before it starts to add the timing. The ramp is how quickly it ramps up the timing AFTER the delay, again based on time instead of rpm.

Again, this is cumulative so they add up. For example:

10 degrees of motor timing, 40 degrees of boost and 5 degrees of turbo means you will have a total of 55 degrees of timing once the motor reaches the end rpm and you have been full throttle for longer than the turbo delay (enough longer for the turbo to be fully ramped up).

Dual mode is a totally different thing and I never use it so someone else will have to explain it if you want to use it.
__________________
$$ Team High Budget $$
17.5 stock buggy fb page
https://www.facebook.com/groups/17.5stockbuggy/
teeforb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 01:46 PM   #15852
Tech Champion
 
teeforb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: San Diego & Compton CA
Posts: 7,218
Trader Rating: 94 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to teeforb
Default

What's the max timing you want in total with timing + boost + turbo for a 17.5 motor on a 2wd buggy?

Thx
__________________
$$ Team High Budget $$
17.5 stock buggy fb page
https://www.facebook.com/groups/17.5stockbuggy/
teeforb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 01:54 PM   #15853
Tech Lord
 
wingracer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 12,861
Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by teeforb View Post
What's the max timing you want in total with timing + boost + turbo for a 17.5 motor on a 2wd buggy?

Thx
It varies. For me running 1s 10.5 1/12th scale Tekin and Duo motors, anything over about 55 just makes heat and kills battery. Different cars, different motors, etc. are going to be different.
__________________
Sean. Certified speed crazed mowron.
Team Shepherd USA
www.ashfordhobby.com
wingracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 02:03 PM   #15854
Tech Master
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 1,304
Default

Thanks, that's the best definition I've read so far. It helped me to understand a little better



Quote:
Originally Posted by locked View Post
Timing advance adds degrees of timing over a specified RPM range
Turbo Boost adds even more timing when you are at full throttle
Turbo delay is the amount of time you are at full throttle before turbo kicks in

208 I believe has all the features of 203, but also includes the no timing setting(for sportsman class) where the LED blinks so you can tell easily that it is in that mode. 208 also added the ability to change profiles without the hotwire and improved the brakes.
outlandr91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 02:55 PM   #15855
Tech Master
 
locked's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Toronto
Posts: 1,758
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by outlandr91 View Post
Thanks, that's the best definition I've read so far. It helped me to understand a little better
When I posted that I had not seen the new labels for the settings in 208. I was going by 203

The way I understand it, "Timing Advance" is now a percentage of 30 degrees timing that only gets used in dual mode, like if your sensor wire pops out mid race. It would apply that 30 degrees (if set to 100) spread over the default RPM range around 5K-20K

What I referred to as timing advance (from what it was called in 203) is now called "Boost" and "Turbo Boost" is now just "Turbo"
__________________
Dave Locke
Team PerformanceHobbies.ca | ORCA RC | Bodies by Brandon | Team Meeting
XRAY T4'15 x2 | XRAY XB4 | XRAY XB8E | XRAY XB8
locked is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Tekin Redline RS Sensored ESC and motors, opinions for offroad? Cain Electric Off-Road 4230 06-07-2015 04:38 PM
Sensored vs. Sensorless lemansracer Electric On-Road 71 02-14-2009 03:19 AM
New Tekin Redline Sensored Motors are Roar Legal! Randy_Pike Electric On-Road 3 08-05-2008 02:08 AM
Tekin Redline Sensored 10.5 HUCKMAN Electric On-Road 6 07-15-2008 08:50 PM
sensored vs sensorless bprocket Rookie Zone 5 05-16-2008 09:38 AM


Tags
v203, vegas 2.0


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 08:07 PM.


Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net