R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 07-16-2010, 04:27 PM   #15601
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowerOne View Post
Far too many people have a keyboard, internet access, and an opinion they want to share, whether they are racers or not!!

Just loved the Apple conference today. Jobs admits they have a problem with iPhone 4, then apologises. That done, he produces a set of results from experiments they have done with competitors products to show they all do that - Raspberry, Android, etc. Absolutely priceless.

There used to be Rule that worked occasionally - that in complex situations, peoples' first reaction is usually wrong. It applied generally to things like general elections, national budgets, etc. Today it applies universally - no one can wait to get their opinion on the internet despite absolutely no experience of the situation, no understanding of the fundamental science or culture behind the situation and making absolutely certain they haven't tested anything. Good on 'yer Steve for taking some time and producing some data. (I've opened a book - five gets you ten that the internet will now be full of people saying that their data is rubbish and they are just trying to make excuses. But five only gets you ten if you produce the results of your controlled experiment!!)

So it is with RC. Remember the hoo-ha about the AE Black Diamond speedo? It's using the receiver pack to boost performance, it's doubling the voltage from the drive battery, it has special patented technology and we'll all have to have one and... Total c**p, and universally the wrong reaction.

Rant over, and waiting for Tekin to release a new piece of software so I can update my speedo, yet again, for the princely sum of a few cents worth of electricity. Good on you Tekin, keep up the good work and ignore the people who complain about availability. When it's ready, it will come.

this is just the new style of customer. he orderes today and wants it received yesterday. they want top notch service 24/7 and money back if it doesnt suit them. face it, this is just how it works. in my opinion you can avoid all this drama if you set end dates and let people know when to expect something. dont give updates as this gets them more involved. just keep it as secret as possible and when its done people can realy get it. look at apple, they kept the iphone top secret and then one day steve introduced it. you should have seen the look on peoples faces and the mile long lines at the stores... as a company you should meet the customers needs. if you dont like them, work around them. for tekin, good job you're bringing out new software. but dont keep us teasing with that its almost ready and it will be in a couple of weeks. personally i am ofcoarse curious but im happy with the 203, its not all ESC, its still racing with all its aspects
Markiempje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 06:44 PM   #15602
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

There are some people that are impossible to please. So many racers complaining about nick nack stuff.
Old 07-16-2010, 07:06 PM   #15603
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to HyperFX

I like the title (and most) of this thread: Tekin RS ESC sensored.
To heck with the BS. Can we stay on topic, please?

Last edited by HyperFX; 07-17-2010 at 01:20 AM.
HyperFX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 03:03 AM   #15604
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR007 View Post
I've only been into racing for 2 years, and fully programmable esc's have been the single biggest mess in the entire industry.
I understand why they came about, it's user demand. However, the problem is exacerbated by the fact that a LOT of people put no practice and testing into their own gear, they jsut want the instant gratification of turbo etc making up for their lack of cornering skill.
It's kind of like the ground-effects issues in F1 in the 80's. The only way the authority could control cars being designed beyond drivers abilities was to ban the technology.
It wouldn't be such an issue if the esc wasn't able to single-handedly transform ANY setup into a ballistic missile.
Now, one solution to this could be to have any programmable esc being open motors and sort by racers times, not the esc they have. I know it's been discussed, but I think it would level out a LOT of TC races.
No real point to my post, just an observation.
I can't see why people are complaining about updateable/programmable speedos so much. They are making the hobby cheaper for you guys no longer having to buy a new speedo every 6 months or so in order to keep up, and it's now possible to select whether you want a no timing stock spec, fixed profiles or full programmability on the same speedo. Between these things it solves all the problems mentioned.

There's always been technological progress and always will be, just this time, with the change to brushless and LiPo it's taking a while to settle down a bit. At least this time it doesn't have to cost us all a fortune, and remember it was Tekin who made the upgradable speedo popular making the other manufacturers follow, making it cheaper for us to get better performance whatever the make.

Trev
CARSrcracing.co.uk Webmaster
Schumacher Racing
TrevCoult is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 04:53 AM   #15605
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

hes only been in the hobby 2 years.. he doesnt remember long nights in the basement dynoing all 10 of you motors to find the good one. tweeking brushes, polishing hoods. trying this brush with that brush or the other brush. then a half dozen spring combos. trueing the coms all the damn time. all for a motor that lasted a month a racing with tons of work.. meanwhile we still had the ESC of the week issues back then with variable drive frequencies and pulse width adjustments blah blah blah.. and they were still $200 even back then..

Turns out not where, but who your with that really matters... DMB

Last edited by tallyrc; 07-17-2010 at 05:26 AM.
tallyrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 04:58 AM   #15606
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrevCoult View Post
I can't see why people are complaining about updateable/programmable speedos so much. They are making the hobby cheaper for you guys no longer having to buy a new speedo every 6 months or so in order to keep up, and it's now possible to select whether you want a no timing stock spec, fixed profiles or full programmability on the same speedo. Between these things it solves all the problems mentioned.

There's always been technological progress and always will be, just this time, with the change to brushless and LiPo it's taking a while to settle down a bit. At least this time it doesn't have to cost us all a fortune, and remember it was Tekin who made the upgradable speedo popular making the other manufacturers follow, making it cheaper for us to get better performance whatever the make.

Trev
agree
Old 07-17-2010, 04:59 AM   #15607
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tallyrc View Post
hes only been in the hobby 2 years.. he dowsnt remember long nights in the basement dynoing all 10 of you motors to find the good one. tweeking brushes, polishing hoods. trying this brush with that brush or the other brush. then a half dozen spring combos. trueing the coms all the damn time. all for a motor that lasted a month a racing with tons of work.. meanwhile we still had the ESC of the week issues back then with variable drive frequencies and pulse width adjustments blah blah blah.. and they were still $200 even back then..
agree again
Old 07-17-2010, 09:32 AM   #15608
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Quote:
hes only been in the hobby 2 years.. he doesnt remember long nights in the basement dynoing all 10 of you motors to find the good one. tweeking brushes, polishing hoods. trying this brush with that brush or the other brush. then a half dozen spring combos. trueing the coms all the damn time. all for a motor that lasted a month a racing with tons of work.. meanwhile we still had the ESC of the week issues back then with variable drive frequencies and pulse width adjustments blah blah blah.. and they were still $200 even back then..
+1 !!!!
pcar951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 10:14 AM   #15609
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Quote:
What you've said makes me glad I've only been in the hobby for about 2 years...

When I started, the Tekin RC was (I believe) a non-boost ESC, but I purchased it because the firmware could be upgraded.

I was thankful I had time to wrap my head around running 17.5 BL with no timing or boost adjustments - my hands were full enough going from a black can TT-01 to a 17.5BL TC. Then, when boost was introduced, wow. Yet another learning curve. Next up, 13.5 BL for another car

So I've had the same ESC for close to 2 years now. It still keeps up with the new Jones' on the block, and I expect that it will for quite a while.
Dog Bone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 10:49 AM   #15610
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

As I stated in my previous post....it's a double edge sword. The good thing is you didnt have to pay for both sides of the sword
STLNLST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 11:48 AM   #15611
Tech Regular

Quote:
Agree, and with the speedo you can run stock,sportsman and modify,
this upgradeable speedo save you money.
thanks

Ed
eded1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 01:35 PM   #15612
Tech Master

With all due respect to all of who who have kindly pointed out that i've only been around 2 years and don't know a lot:
I have only been RACING 2 years. In that time, I have had brushed motors for half of it, and have only just sold the lathe and dyno. I have owned RC cars since my youth (going back to my first Boomerang and the Optima Mid). I'm now 34 years old with my own children that are starting in racing.
I was not making a point about the TECHNOLOGY being the problem, but the way it has been implimented and rules set around the technology, that has in fact been the problem. Much like my F1 analogy.
I love the technology. All of our cars have Tekin esc's, and brushless motors where we are allowed to use them. The trouble is, for the AVERAGE club racer, really is a "keep up with the Joneses" or you will just get whomped every time you put your car down. This makes the speeds a lot of the classes are at, too fast for good competition.
I'm speaking from one mans perspective, and not dissing anyones products or decisions. This also doesn't affect me, as I am not an AVERAGE club racer. I'm far below that.....

My car just hit 88mph. I hope it comes back soon....
JR007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 04:24 AM   #15613
Tech Adept

Default 3.5t Modified

Has anyone ran the Tekin RS Pro with a 3.5t/4.0t yet and if so what settings did they run?

I am not sure whether to run sensored or dual and dont know where to start with how much advance?
stuartb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 04:52 AM   #15614
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 101 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuartb View Post
Has anyone ran the Tekin RS Pro with a 3.5t/4.0t yet and if so what settings did they run?

I am not sure whether to run sensored or dual and dont know where to start with how much advance?
12th,tc
Old 07-18-2010, 09:56 AM   #15615
Tech Adept

Sorry meant to say 10th TC onroad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20 SMOKE View Post
12th,tc
stuartb is offline   Reply With Quote