R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 07-16-2010, 01:34 AM   #15586
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrevCoult View Post
Well said Prez. Products have to be tested before release to the general public, even if they have to wait a little longer. Every company has to do it, Tekin is no different. (But I would say that when I'm one of the testers )

Trev
yeah, that's right
begintravel55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 06:51 AM   #15587
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrevCoult View Post
Well said Prez. Products have to be tested before release to the general public, even if they have to wait a little longer. Every company has to do it, Tekin is no different. (But I would say that when I'm one of the testers )

Trev
I just love the way some people whine that some software requires testing before they can have it. These are the same people that will then either complain they have a problem, or assume they know what they are doing and blow their equipment up.

Far too many racers want everything NOW NOW NOW.

Then they'll moan about quality control etc.

Skiddins
wlrc.co.uk (West London Racing Centre)
RCDisco.co.uk
Skiddins is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 01:44 PM   #15588
Tech Fanatic

Far too many people have a keyboard, internet access, and an opinion they want to share, whether they are racers or not!!

Just loved the Apple conference today. Jobs admits they have a problem with iPhone 4, then apologises. That done, he produces a set of results from experiments they have done with competitors products to show they all do that - Raspberry, Android, etc. Absolutely priceless.

There used to be Rule that worked occasionally - that in complex situations, peoples' first reaction is usually wrong. It applied generally to things like general elections, national budgets, etc. Today it applies universally - no one can wait to get their opinion on the internet despite absolutely no experience of the situation, no understanding of the fundamental science or culture behind the situation and making absolutely certain they haven't tested anything. Good on 'yer Steve for taking some time and producing some data. (I've opened a book - five gets you ten that the internet will now be full of people saying that their data is rubbish and they are just trying to make excuses. But five only gets you ten if you produce the results of your controlled experiment!!)

So it is with RC. Remember the hoo-ha about the AE Black Diamond speedo? It's using the receiver pack to boost performance, it's doubling the voltage from the drive battery, it has special patented technology and we'll all have to have one and... Total c**p, and universally the wrong reaction.

Rant over, and waiting for Tekin to release a new piece of software so I can update my speedo, yet again, for the princely sum of a few cents worth of electricity. Good on you Tekin, keep up the good work and ignore the people who complain about availability. When it's ready, it will come.
SlowerOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 02:09 PM   #15589
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowerOne View Post
So it is with RC. Remember the hoo-ha about the AE Black Diamond speedo? It's using the receiver pack to boost performance, it's doubling the voltage from the drive battery, it has special patented technology and we'll all have to have one and... Total c**p, and universally the wrong reaction.
That was one of my all time favorite threads. Those guys were so full of BS about that thing it was hysterical. I tried to talk some sense into them but they wouldn't listen.

No one likes to admit that they lost because they weren't good enough. It's so much easier to blame something else for it.

I think Tekin could help themselves out a lot by NEVER admitting to using new software until it is actually released to the public. Go ahead and do the testing, just don't tell anyone about it.
wingracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 02:22 PM   #15590
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingracer View Post
That was one of my all time favorite threads. Those guys were so full of BS about that thing it was hysterical. I tried to talk some sense into them but they wouldn't listen.

No one likes to admit that they lost because they weren't good enough. It's so much easier to blame something else for it.

I think Tekin could help themselves out a lot by NEVER admitting to using new software until it is actually released to the public. Go ahead and do the testing, just don't tell anyone about it.

+1000, but it's hard to keep something under wraps when you are testing it in plain sight of the public.

R10 USGT, TRF416 USGT, DB10R, TA05R VTA, R40, RS4 3SS, RS4 super, Savage, Hellfire.

Youthful enthusiasm only rules until old age and common sense exert themselves
JCarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 02:24 PM   #15591
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 150 (99%+)

Quote:
They did. In the email to us team members requested to test Randy explicitly said it was for our eyes only. Blame gizmodo, I mean, others for leaking the new stuff...
Old 07-16-2010, 02:47 PM   #15592
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

I'm not sure what's worse, the one guy complaining or the ten guys apologizing.

I have 24/7 access to the track and next week off work, and plan to spend most of that time testing. I was hoping 208 would be ready so I could start figuring it out, but I understand the need to test new software thoroughly and not risk bricking a bunch of ESC's. I guess I'll spend the time figuring out how to take some rip away from my SpeedPassion ESC so I can quit hitting Tekin users from behind when following them out of the turns.
syndr0me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 03:14 PM   #15593
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowerOne View Post
Just loved the Apple conference today. Jobs admits they have a problem with iPhone 4, then apologises. That done, he produces a set of results from experiments they have done with competitors products to show they all do that - Raspberry, Android, etc. Absolutely priceless.
It's almost like "now that I told about it, but let me distract you with problems of other phones".
Old 07-16-2010, 03:14 PM   #15594
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdcopbdcop View Post
hey, i resemble that remark!!!
You've witnessed some of the "ONEWAYS"......
STLNLST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 03:33 PM   #15595
Tech Champion

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCarr View Post
[/COLOR]
+1000, but it's hard to keep something under wraps when you are testing it in plain sight of the public.

Impossible to do cause then guys will be on threads like these complaining not knowing that the very problem they are complaining about is currently being worked on. Case in point....keeping up with the SPX. Remember that ordeal???
Old 07-16-2010, 03:40 PM   #15596
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krio View Post
They did. In the email to us team members requested to test Randy explicitly said it was for our eyes only. Blame gizmodo, I mean, others for leaking the new stuff...
Not that we need to go into it here, but the exact wording was "this is for your eyes only until I say otherwise" and I had explicit permission from Randy to share the info. The huge no-no is to distribute it early.
reenmachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 03:53 PM   #15597
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by reenmachine View Post
Not that we need to go into it here, but the exact wording was "this is for your eyes only until I say otherwise" and I had explicit permission from Randy to share the info. The huge no-no is to distribute it early.
You two go to your rooms without any dessert....LMAO

Gonna be triple digits this weekend. 208 won't just be the version I'm running but the actual ground temp here in sac
Old 07-16-2010, 03:56 PM   #15598
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 150 (99%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by reenmachine View Post
Never said he didn't say otherwise, just that it was indeed hidden for a while.
Old 07-16-2010, 04:00 PM   #15599
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by syndr0me View Post
.....I guess I'll spend the time figuring out how to take some rip away from my SpeedPassion ESC so I can quit hitting Tekin users from behind when following them out of the turns.
Maybe we should outlaw the Speed Passion until Tekin catches up...

I knew these speed controls would make things a little messy, but I'm completely amazed by the year we've had. Everyone in the game will have updatability this year, how much worse could/will it get?

www.summitrcraceway.com
sportpak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 04:22 PM   #15600
Tech Master

I've only been into racing for 2 years, and fully programmable esc's have been the single biggest mess in the entire industry.
I understand why they came about, it's user demand. However, the problem is exacerbated by the fact that a LOT of people put no practice and testing into their own gear, they jsut want the instant gratification of turbo etc making up for their lack of cornering skill.
It's kind of like the ground-effects issues in F1 in the 80's. The only way the authority could control cars being designed beyond drivers abilities was to ban the technology.
It wouldn't be such an issue if the esc wasn't able to single-handedly transform ANY setup into a ballistic missile.
Now, one solution to this could be to have any programmable esc being open motors and sort by racers times, not the esc they have. I know it's been discussed, but I think it would level out a LOT of TC races.
No real point to my post, just an observation.

My car just hit 88mph. I hope it comes back soon....
JR007 is offline   Reply With Quote